“Stunning location and beautifull interior but.....”

and 1 more site!
Room With a View B&B
Ranked #25 of 78 Somerset West B&B and Inns
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Stunning location and beautifull interior but.....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

I write this review as advise to the owners and not as critic. An absolute beautiful place with the best view ever but....
- we arrived at10:45 to be informed at the gate (not at the door) that we are too early to check-in after I made a special arrangement with the owner and she agreed that it will suit her as she has a function to go to. Not a very pleasant welcome, however they showed us to our room, and allowed us to quickly change clothes for a function before we left.
- in the room she explained the functions of the tv remotes and the normal house rules. To our surprise she also informed us that should we decide to use the aircon we will be charged extra. What a surprise....you surely to not expect that after paying R1 400 per night.
- at check-in please make sure that you are aware of the fact that your guests have paid a deposit or the full amount. Do not ask your guests whether they have paid a deposit.
- breakfast was served in the dining room with a stunning view, but please do not set one table for all the guests rather asked whether a couple would like to sit alone. You do not always feel like making conversation with strangers
-after leaving the breakfast table I informed the host that I did make use of the bar fridge and drank two bottles of water. She told me Í don't have to pay for the water but I could tip the room staff should I feel like it. I do not have a problem with tipping staff if they deserve it, but these people cleaning my room work for a salary. Sorry I did not leave a tip!
I do not think we will be back, as this was suppose to be my birthday celebration, but both myself and my husband was rather irrated by all the rules and regulations.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MadeleineB5005

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Seligenstadt, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

We booked a room via Tourist Office in Somerset West, where they told us we will expect a very nice and warm home. But when we met Hanli and she showed us her beautiful house and the fine decorated rooms it was more than "nice". It was fantastic. Thank you so much for everything.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Pretoria, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

My sister and I booked through the internet and chose Room With a View, and I must say the (very nice) photographs on internet do not do justice to reality. The guesthouse is absolutely beautiful and modern, the owners and staff made us feel at home and our room was fantastic. We booked the "small" room that opens to the garden, expected it to be a bit cramped, and we were quite surprised that it was not small at all and actually quite huge! I did bird watching from my bed! The amenities were superb and the breakfast yummy. I can truly recommend this wonderful place, and for sure we will be back! Thank you so much Hanli and Danie and all the friendly ladies working with you.

Room Tip: Stay longer than planned, it is worth it!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

Thank you for a great experience and your hospitality Hanli & Danie we enjoyed it very much. The breakfast was excellent and company was great. I'll recommend Room with a view to all, we will definitely see you in the future!

Stayed December 2013
Somerset West, Western Cape, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

Peace and quiet was what I needed and this was the perfect place to get just that. Beautifully decorated room with crisp clean linen made me feel like a queen. Thanks for the blessing Danie and Hanli!

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Welshpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

What a wonderful place "Room with a View" is. We stayed with Danie and Hanli for 10 days, it was a very special time. Their home is perfection, lovingly cared for by these 2 delightful people.Nothing was too much trouble for them, their hospitality is second to none..
We have made friends for life!!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Bloemfontein
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2013

Every room is a representation of the name, "Room with a view" over the False Bay area and the famous Helderberg.
This is a true "home from home" experience.
I will make sure to visit again.

Pieter vd Westhuizen
Bloemfontein, ZA

Room Tip: All rooms are equally good
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
#28 of 78 in Somerset West
Woodlands Guest House
Woodlands Guest House
#20 of 78 in Somerset West

Been to Room With a View B&B? Share your experiences!