“A quaint dining experience for our family” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Millhouse Kitchen
Ranked #10 of 118 Restaurants in Somerset West
Price range: US$3 - US$18
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza, European
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Kids, Groups, Child-friendly, Romantic, View, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Founded in 1700, Lourensford Estate has married its historic heritage with a vision to be at the forefront of modern wine technology and a leader amongst South African Wine producers. Owner & Executive Chef, Bjorn Guido's cooking career started at The Greenhouse at Cellars-Hohenort under chef Peter Templehoff. He then moved abroad and joined Babington House, part of the SOHO HOUSE group under the renowned Ronnie Bonetti of River Cafe London. After gaining experience abroad, he returned home and took up the role of Head Chef at The Franschhoek Kitchen on the Holden Manz Wine Estate. Food provenance and sustainability are core to Millhouse's philosophy. The eatery's contemporary barn-conversion interior puts a modern twist on classic elements, featuring a mix of leather banquette seating and reclaimed timber walls. Bjorn's aim was to create a neighbourhood feel where guests can relax and enjoy each other's company. Watch as food is prepared in the expansive open kitchen and Italian style pizza's are delivered fresh from the wood fired oven.
Cape Town
“A quaint dining experience for our family”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

We reserved a table at the The Millhouse Kitchen to celebrate my younger sister's 21st earlier in the year. It accommodated us, a group of 11 adults with 4 young children, towards the back of the restarant with the table close to a large window with a view of the gardern. Although, it was a dinner, we enjoyed the jovial, relaxed atmosphere and did not impose on the other guests in our vicinity. The room was warm and not too-overly decorated, with worked. Our children were welcome, however their kiddies menu is limited. The food was above-average and the drinks were flowing. My only complaint was that the waiter seemed slightly overwhelmed by our big group, as it was a busy night, so all our food didn't arrive at the same time. My older sister also ordered salmon and was given hake, which are two very different fish! She returned her plate and got a lovely chicken salad instead. They apologised for the mistake. Other than that, the night was memorable and we were allowed to bring our own birthday cake, which they assisted us to serve up. It was an overall good experience and I'd go back there with my young family.

• Visited March 2013

Somerset West, South Africa
“great casual dining”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

We loved the casual dining approach. The menu is exciting without being over the top. Up market pub food with a delightful twist. Great service in a wonderful setting. Kids play safely in the garden.

Visited March 2013
Somerset West, Western Cape, South Africa
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“An Unforgettable Night With Family & Friends & Jesse Jordan!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

Thank You so much to Bjorn & the staff at the Millhouse Kitchen for hosting an absolutely fabulous farewell function for us. The setting was stunning, the mood so vibey & the food of the highest standard! We couldn't have asked for a better send off! - The Franken Family

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank ChanniF
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Good value breakfast”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013

I chose this restaurant for a business breakfast as they opened early and was recommended. I had a three egg omelette with a choice of three fillings for under R50! The venue is wonderful. It was reasonably quiet and the service was adequate. Some toast, butter and jams would have been appropriate but not offered and I got the sense of a value offering as opposed to a delicious and well presented meal.

• Visited September 2013
Somerset West
“I came home stinking of smoke!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

We had dinner here in the midst of winter. The menu was varied and interesting. I ordered the lemony, pea, prawn rissotto which was one of the most expensive items on the menu. It was alright nothing spectaular ito taste- ito of pricing, there was only very few prawns so essentially my meal was hugely overpriced for a rice dish. Other than feeling a little ripped off, my biggest issue was the fireplace. I am not sure what was going on or if it wasnt working, but the place got very very smokey, so much so it hurt my eyes and I came home smelling of smoke.. really unpleasant.

• Visited July 2013