“Amazing meal. Efficient service.”

The Millhouse Kitchen
Ranked #11 of 124 Restaurants in Somerset West
Price range: US$3 - US$18
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Founded in 1700, Lourensford Estate has married its historic heritage with a vision to be at the forefront of modern wine technology and a leader amongst South African Wine producers. Owner & Executive Chef, Bjorn Guido's cooking career started at The Greenhouse at Cellars-Hohenort under chef Peter Templehoff. He then moved abroad and joined Babington House, part of the SOHO HOUSE group under the renowned Ronnie Bonetti of River Cafe London. After gaining experience abroad, he returned home and took up the role of Head Chef at The Franschhoek Kitchen on the Holden Manz Wine Estate. Food provenance and sustainability are core to Millhouse's philosophy. The eatery's contemporary barn-conversion interior puts a modern twist on classic elements, featuring a mix of leather banquette seating and reclaimed timber walls. Bjorn's aim was to create a neighbourhood feel where guests can relax and enjoy each other's company. Watch as food is prepared in the expansive open kitchen and Italian style pizza's are delivered fresh from the wood fired oven.
Reviewed 10 July 2014

What a gem! On a cold (very cold) winters evening we went for a meal to this restaurant. There is a little fire, and this restaurant which I suspect us more of a day time experience, could be a bit cosier at night but the service and the chef more than makes up for it. We were enthralled by the food.i had the pork belly, a substantial dish, with beets and lovely very fresh mushrooms My friends had the veal. Both dishes were a delight! I can whole heartedly recommend this restaurant! Our waiter , Reese, served us with quiet efficiency.

1  Thank desparatehousewife07

Reviewed 10 July 2014

I was recently taken to the Millhouse kitchen for my birthday and really enjoyed it. I was greeted by friendly staff at the door which was very welcoming.
I ordered the pork belly and absolutely enjoyed it, I will most definitely order it again. The food came on time and the service and staff were magnificent.
The restaurant is located on a beautiful wine farm and the restaurant itself is magnificent. So warm and welcoming. Thank you for an enjoyable evening. I will definitely go back. No question about it.

1  Thank Alexsenatore
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Had the most amazing lunch! The food was ridiculous (good) & they sport a great young team. Fantastic vibe & certainly my favourite spot in Somerset West. Highly recommended!

3  Thank KyleMG
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Whether you enjoy fine dining , a room warmed by fire or the window seat to watch your kids play while you relax and enjoy some of the best food in Cape Town , The Millhouse kitchen is for you and the family. Professional yet relaxing atmosphere with smiling helpful service. Definitely visiting this restaurant again.

2  Thank KeischMeister
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Unfortunately I should have listened to all the poor reviews listed on tripadvisor recently.

Took 10 x people to Millhouse Kitchen after birthday plans for my wife were changed at the last minute. What an absolute mistake!

Bad weather made us 30 minutes late and the kitchen was closing at 10h30 for breakfast orders. Instead of making us feel relaxed and calm when we arrived. The manager and the staff made us feel under severe pressure to order. I understand they had to prepare for the lunch sitting but the place was empty and they had loads of staff on duty. So to be a little bit late and it was my wife's birthday was not the end of the world. Surely you would want to make a table of 10 happy. I even went to the manager and apologised when we arrived for being late. He couldn't have given a monkey and just ramped up the pressure to order our food.

The resulting chaos meant we where stressed out, couldn't relax and all the food came wrong.

The egg dishes all arrived cold. They came with bacon which we don't eat and came in drips and drabs, some 30 minutes apart from other dishes. Not a relaxing situation for a birthday. When I went to the manager and told him we where very unhappy with what was going on he once again showed zero concern. When things started going down even further with the service i.e coffee taking 30 minutes to come etc etc, I requested him twice and he wouldnt come to the table. I eventually forced him to come to the table and he just wasn't interested and said he would try and improve on the service. It wasn't like the place was packed, it was empty and there where like 12 waiters and the manager standing around doing nothing.

Obviously at this stage we had no interest in ordering anything else.

Why bother having a restaurant with a manager and staff who clearly dont care or who think they are better than the customers. The waiters in general where rude, surly and completely disrespectful.

The food was very average when it did come and consisted of pretty poor ingredients. The omelette i ordered came with poor quality processed cheese and the poorest quality frozen trout.

The setting seems very nice amongst the winery buildings and greenery. They also have a children's playground which I guess in good weather must be pleasant for kids. Be warned if it is raining that the parking is a short walk away from the Millhouse, in other words you cant park directly outside.

The manager did give us 50% off the bill, however even spending this on the disastrous meal was way too much money. He also agreed to remove the service charge which there was no way I was prepared to pay.

I am not sure how the Millhouse Kitchen can stay in business if the service and food is so poor. Surely the financial backers must be concerned.

Please avoid this place. It is certainly NOT the place for a special occasion like a birthday.

8  Thank Nathan B