“DELICIOUS LUNCH”

Ranked #2 of 126 Restaurants in Somerset West
Price range: US$25 - US$60
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Camphors at Vergelegen signature restaurant takes its name from the ancient giant camphor trees, planted in 1700, situated in front of the historic Homestead. The restaurant overlooks expansive lawns and beautiful trees complementing the overall dining experience and creating an ambiance never to be forgotten. After only a year of operation, Camphors was awarded place in the Top Ten restaurants in South Africa, in The Eat Out DStv Restaurant Awards 2014, as well as being the Regional Winner - Wine Tourism Restaurant - in the 2014 Great Wine Capitals. Vergelegen produces classical wine varietals and the ever changing menu reflects a modern take on classical international and local food dishes, specifically designed to complement Vergelegen's award-winning wines. The Sommelier and his restaurant team guide diners through the menu and recommended wine selections to ensure a relaxed and memorable food and wine experience. Regrettably, Camphors is not child-friendly.
Reviewed 30 May 2014

This was an absolutely superb lunch experience. The scene is set thanks to the stunning gardens you see on the walk to the restaurant (you can drive but the walk really is gorgeous and helps work off a few calories after the meal). I don't think that I have ever been as well fed at a restaurant. Camphors has many touches that you don't expect between courses from crispy pig tail to the most amazing mango sorbet. The wine was fantastic, and being served wine by someone so knowledgeable about it was fantastic. A fault at many restaurants is that the food is served too quickly and there is not enough time to breathe between courses, I am happy to say that Camphors does not fall into that category which shows me that they think about the customers and don't try and feed you quickly and get rid of you so they can get more people in. If you are looking for a classy place with good food, this is the spot. It is rather expensive though so I think its a "special occasions" restaurant. If you can afford it, you wont be disappointed.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

You go to a hut and select your food and wine. You are then taken to your table under the old camphor trees. You are far enough from other diners.Our waiter was excellent, nothing was to much trouble. It was a hot day and was nice and cool in the forest. Food was superb. Wine excellent.
Atmosphere perfect. A delightful afternoon with friends

Reviewed 23 May 2014

Unfortunately the Stables was fully booked on the Sunday we wanted to visit - reservations persuaded us to try Camphors. Vergelegen gardens are outstanding as well as steeped in history - allow 3 hours just to explore, go back in time and enjoy the wine tasting. Camphors is exquisitely furnished but the sun was shining so we were seated at a good table outside where all the other guests had also congregated. Chef definitely has a sense of humour - where else would the amuse-bouche be pigs tails deep fried?? There was certainly more than a mouthful on offer too! My Mom comes from the Transkei - so fellow Transkeiians would already know what adventurous eaters emanate from there - I always ate what my Mom cooked for herself - note, not the rest of our family. I ate more strange parts from cows, pigs and sheep than most people can imagine - so I do have an open mind - I just choose not to eat pigs tails now because I don't have to. My daughter said they reminded her of a UCT Residence and that she'd probably be scarred for life for having tried one. The freshly baked bread basket for the table was outstanding - the choice was superb as well as generous. Unfortunately the Vergelegen MCC was sold out and I didn't fancy their alternative offering. That was a disappointment. My husband's main was duck - unfortunately once he'd cut the fat off there wasn't much left to eat on the plate, ditto with my daughter's lamb. A very small offering of those 2 options in our opinion. My choice filled the gap - the risotto didn't disappoint. Chef meant the dessert to be the highlight - it was! A pre-dessert was served and it was a guava cheesecake - absolutely delicious. My husband and daughter had the Raspberry souffle with 49 % Felchlin chocolate and Earl Grey blue flower. They were huge - I had no alternative but to help them eat it. The bon bons were a nice touch at the end of the meal - Turkish Delight and Coconut cakes which I also relished. Chef's sweet offerings were excellent

Reviewed 10 May 2014

We had one of the best meals at this beautiful restaurant. The estate itself is immaculate. All the staff from the security at the entrance to the waitstaff and manager were extremely friendly and helpful. The manager who was on duty had a passion about the wines and it was an absolute joy to listen to him. The food was outstanding as was the wine. This restaurant is highly recommended.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

We were lucky enough to be invited to this top notch restaurant. And what a treat it was! Though the food had some unusual combinations (e.g. mussels accompanied by bone marrow as a starter)...it worked!
The setting on the terrace, in front of the spectacular garden park, is a treat in its own and very romantic. The food as well as the service were absolutely outstanding; the desert (a passion fruit soufflé) to die for!
Although it is very good value-for-money from a European point of view, we were very grateful the bill (the highest we've encountered during our 3-month stay in Somerset West) was picked up by our extremely graceful host. Thank you David!

1  Thank Romasupebr