“Beautiful Hotel”

Erinvale Estate Hotel and Spa
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Somerset West
Reviewed 31 December 2013

We stayed four nights for a wedding and had a brilliant stay at Erinvale. We had a room near the pool, and it was incredibly spacious and clean. We were on the top floor with the thatched roof above, so did encounter a few bugs. However, when you turn the air con on they tend to disappear. There was also a huge four poster bed in the room which made our stay feel very luxurious. Everything about Erinvale is relaxing and pleasant.

Room Tip: If you want to avoid bugs ask for a ground floor room
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Jean-Paul v, General Manager at Erinvale Estate Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Dear User9563

Thank you for tking the time to give us your valuable feedback. We're delighted that you're stay with us was relaxing and pleasant.

We trust that we will welcome you back to the hotel soon for another relaxing end memorable stay that will be even better and completely bug free.

Kind Regards,

Jean-Paul & the Erinvale staff

Reviewed 29 December 2013

Despite the natural beauty in which the hotel is situated, the hotel has serious issues which will have to be addressed.

It is clear that this hotel management need to take a serious look at the hotel in terms of the building, the rooms, and the manner in which the guests are treated.

The newer eastern section of the hotel has serious maintenance issues: the carpets in the rooms have not been replaced in years. Basic electrical appliance upkeep of air-conditioners and extractor fans need maintenance, the telephone system is some of the rooms are dead. To have all three problems in one room, room 30, is highly unfortunate. The small window in this room has broken out of the top hinge, and one cannot open the window. Not good when the inside temp exceeds 30!! I had to buy insect repellant in order to get rid of the ants and other insects in the room.

I do not think the mattresses in these rooms have ever been replaced. They were dreadful. I dare the general manager to spend a day in mid summer in room 30, and to sleep in the room too! The sleep quality was non-existant.

I reported all these issues, and despite the promise that "someone from maintenance will come and have a look", nothing happened. Only after I reported the same issues to a different front of house manager five hours later, did he offer a different room,which presented even worse mattresses and another family of insects!

The outside temp was in the high 30's with rooms facing west. Surely management should think of placing outside umbrellas on the verandah in order to make these rooms humanly habitable?

Why do the ground staff have to start sucking leaves with a noisy machine 7:00 in the morning? What sort of consideration is given to guests at all?

On a positive note, the staff generally seem to be happy and are mostly friendly. But unless basic maintenance is given serious consideration, these wonderful people will have to find another hotel to work at very shortly, as the hotel guests will continue to dwindle with these sort of p

I sincerely hope this is a wake up call.

Room Tip: Rooms in the northern side of the hotel are better ventilated and much cooler than those facing west...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Jean-Paul v, General Manager at Erinvale Estate Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2013

Dear LyonBen

Firstly allow me the opportunity to thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.

It is with dismay that I read your feedback to learn that there were various aspects of your stay with us that was disappointing and not up to standard. I sincerely apologise for this and I can assure that this is definitely not the standards we strive to deliver.

I can report back that the faulty equipment as mentioned has already been fixed or replaced. I realise that this is after you stay, but given the time of the year with most factories closed and companies running on skeleton staff, we were unfortunately not able to replace the air conditioner over the weekend and we realise that the measures we took to improve the situation does not meet the same standard as a fully functional unit. I can also assure you that I have already addressed you feedback with the various management staff to ensure that we maintain our standards, double check all facilities and equipment, communicate thoroughly to our guests, and make the necessary improvements where needed.

Please contact me directly when next the opportunity arises to stay in the area, we would be privileged to host you again and will ensure that you have a relaxing and memorable stay with us.

Kind Regards,

Jean-Paul & the Staff

Reviewed 18 November 2013

We stayed here for one night and overall had a good experience.
Highs - Very nice room, very friendly front of house staff, helpful in taking our luggage up to the start of the w2w race, excellent breakfast!
Lows - The pub staff seem very disorganised and disinterested. We had to go and find someone to take our order after being told 30 mins earlier that we couldn't order at the bar, and that someone would be out to us shortly...
The food then took another 30 mins to arrive.
Only a small issue which is a shame as the rest of the hotel was very nice!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Jean-Paul v, General Manager at Erinvale Estate Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

Dear martin1England

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We appreciate the positive feedback together with the lows. It is with disappointment that I read that we did not deliver the standard of service we should have in all the areas of the hotel. I sincerely apologise for this.

I can assure you that this is not the standards that we strive to deliver and we have already addressed this with the team to ensure that we do not have a similar incident to what you experienced.

I trust that we will welcome you back to the hotel soon or for the next W2W race, and we'll ensure that you have a memorable and enjoyable experience with us.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

Pretty, clean hotel in lovely surroundings. Hotel has very nice public areas in which to sit, inside and outside. Very good service - all staff from front desk to cleaners very welcoming and cannot do enough for you.

Unfortunately we were given a room with only one window which was set back from the room, and overlooking the car park, which was very dark during the day and quite noisy at times.

There was an excellent choice of hot and cold buffet breakfast which was included in the room price. Food and service in the Skelligs did not quite match that of the rest of the hotel.

Would stay again if a better room could be arranged.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Jean-Paul v, General Manager at Erinvale Estate Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2013

Dear jameskc_12

Thank you for the feedback. We're delighted that you enjoyed stay with us and were well looked after by the staff.

On your next visit, please ask us for an alterative room, I'm certain one of our other rooms will be to your liking and help to create a comfortable and relaxing stay.

Please also try our Seventeen07 restaurant on your next stay as an excellent and completely different dinning option to the Skelligs Pub.

Thanks again for the feedback and we trust that we will welcome you back to the hotel in the near future for an even better and relaxing stay.

Kind regards,

Jean-Paul & the staff

Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

My wife and I went for a sundowner at the hotel restaurant and we decided to sit outside on the terrace. The atmosphere was magic...Under the trees cool breeze passing over us... a lovely way to end the day.
Only one thing made the setting a bit unpleasant, the service. We waited ages before we got served and when we did I had to go inside to and remind the waitress about the order. We also waited nearly an hour for a club sandwich. It wasn't busy at all so I don't know what the problem was, I had to speak to the manager before the food miraculously arrived. Apart from the shoddy service, the food was good and the ambience was great. ...

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Andrew L

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. It is with disappointment that I read that we did not deliver the standard of service we should have. I sincerely apologise for this.

I trust that we will welcome you back to the hotel soon, and we'll ensure that you have a memorable and enjoyable experience with us.

Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

What a welcome!

Front office staff couldn't do enough to help & even suggested to have a drink at the bar & relax before undergoing the slightly tedious form filling.

Buffet supper was a mixture & range of tasty, slightly spicy to "very spicy!" local dishes which left the palate tingling for more.

Maitre d'hotel attentive & table cleared effortlessly between courses.
Very South African experience which left a feeling of being invited to the kitchen table to eat with the Family.

• Stayed: October 2013

Dear Raffrey

Thank you for the feedback. We're glad that you enjoyed the stay and dining experience. Its great to hear that you were well looked after by the staff and that you appreciated the dish variety on our Seventeen07 menu.

I trust that we will welcome you back to the hotel soon for another memorable stay and dinner.

Reviewed 17 October 2013

After a day of golf at nearby Erinvale Golf Club, the hotel is a short drive away. Friendly staff and good facilities in the room. No wifi in room which was disappointing but is available at business room nearby. I also needed a two point plug for iPad, cell phone etc which one would expect to have in the room.

Room Tip: 39 is a good , very big room with separate bathroom including bath and shower
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Jean-Paul v, General Manager at Erinvale Estate Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Dear AndrewJP62

Thank you for the feedback. We're glad that you enjoyed the stay and liked the room. I do apologise for the lack of Wi-Fi signal. We did unfortunately pick up a problem with some of the Wi-Fi equipment last week. Our service provider is busy attending to this and the full Wi-Fi signal should be restored this week.
I can also mention that international adapters are available at reception if you were not informed, but at the same time I'll mention that we are planning to change plug points to accommodate various devices and make this easier for our guests.

I trust that we will welcome you back to the hotel soon, and we'll ensure that you'll be able to use the free Wi-Fi in the comfort of your room.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Somerset West
#9 of 17 in Stellenbosch
Krystal Beach Hotel
Krystal Beach Hotel
#2 of 2 in Gordon's Bay

Been to Erinvale Estate Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!