“Weekend from hell” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Somerset West
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Weekend from hell”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

The hotel reception staff (3 young ladies) were exceptionally rude and never tried to solve any issues. The hotel was infested by crickets which made it impossible to sleep especially room 11. Night manager and an assistant manager (Dennis) were the only helpful people. Room 28 shower floor was so uneven (slanted down towards the outlet hole by 15 cm) that my wife slipped and fell and very badly cut her big toe on a broken tile. The hotel is not equipped for medical emergencies like this. Breakfast staff told my wife at 09:50 on a Sunday morning, that they have no more croissants were available after I took one of 7 croissants, just 20 seconds before that time. Breakfast staff were very eager to shut the kitchen. Breakfast staff also told my wife and I, that we lied about our order and that we have to take the hard boiled eggs instead of fried eggs. The bills were mostly calculated incorrectly and this was highly frustrating and embarrassing. Never again will anybody treat us like this again!!!

Room Tip: Make sure that you know exactly what you are about to pay for, especially if you pre-book and with v...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Jean-Paul v, General Manager at Erinvale Estate Hotel, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Thank you very much for communicating your observations to us.

We are truly shocked with your experiences encountered during your stay and I would like to take this opportunity to most sincerely apologize for any inconvenience.

To address the details of your stay, I have interviewed the relevant staff concerned. The receptionists did their utmost to assist with your queries as quick as possible. On check out, they required you to hand over the vouchers to counter balance the charges for dinner, etc. this is a procedure to ensure that our books and your invoice balance.

The hotel is set in a lush park like setting most of the rooms having direct access to the garden, hence intrusion of bugs like a cricket may occur. In order to assist you immediately, we moved you into another room to avoid further disruption to your stay.

The next morning our housekeeper arranged for you to be allocated a new room and together with you, inspected this room and she arranged this to accommodate all your personal requirements. In addition, to your wine and cheese board in the room she included flowers and a complimentary fruit basket to make you even more comfortable.

She further followed up with you on Saturday and Sunday as to whether you are content and satisfied with your stay, only to find out that you really appreciate the services of the hotel and the room in specific.

Regarding the breakfast, we have investigated about the closing times and the ordering of your eggs. The normal closing time for breakfast is 10.00 AM and the staff closed at 10.40, as some guests including yourself were still busy and they do not interrupt the guests during their meal. Some of the items on the buffet may be depleted due to usage.

The waitress which took the order for your eggs repeated your order and offered afterwards to change the boiled eggs to fried eggs, of which you stated you are fine with the boiled eggs.

It is most unfortunate that your wife cut her toe whilst in the shower. We most sincerely apologize for this and hope that she has recovered well.

It is our utmost endeavor to ensure that all our guests have an enjoyable and relaxing stay with us, and sincerely hope that you are able to come back to our hotel to experience our usual high standard of service.

Yours sincerely

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Bishops Stortford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

We missed Erinvale last year but very pleased to say the service and warm welcome is as good as ever.
There have been improvements the rooms have been upgraded especially the bathrooms. The main asset of this hotel is the quality of the staff, nothing is to much trouble and they are always willing to assist to the customers requirements.
Very pleased to see the loungers around the 2 pools have been replaced which is also a great improvement we found them comfortable also the permanent shaded area in the terraced pool area.
I understand there are changes planned over the next couple of years, I sincerely hope this wont affect the service and character of the hotel which we find quite unique. We look forward to our trip next year and do hope not too many changes to this boutique hotel.

Room Tip: We prefer downstairs as we enjoy the outside terrace.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jean-Paul v, General Manager at Erinvale Estate Hotel, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Thank you very much indeed for taking the time to communicate your positive comments with regards to your stay at our beautiful hotel.
May I take the opportunity to thank you in particular for your positive comments regarding our staff. We are indeed proud to have such a dedicated, friendly and professional team.

The management of the hotel has plans to refurbish various aspects of the hotel operation over the next few years. We are focusing on immediate areas for improvement this year in order to offer all our guests an even more superior experience during their visit to our hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.
henley in arden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2014

this is th 10th year we have stayed at this super old world hotel which have such lovely air conditioned suites and such helpful and accomodating staff.
we booked our room after our emirates flight and thestaff were really helpful in confirming our room and arranging golf at erinvale golf club at preferential rates and booking an evening meal at stephanies.
we enjoyed eating outside at their skelligs pub which again has good staff, atmosphere and food.

Room Tip: choose downstairs room so you can sit out on the patio
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jean-Paul v, General Manager at Erinvale Estate Hotel, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
Dear michaeldufty

Thank you for the positive and complementary feedback. It's always very rewarding to get positive feedback from long time loyal and returning guests. For us this is one of the most important indicators that we are doing the right things right. We're again glad that you enjoyed the stay with us.

We are already looking forward to our next season to welcome you back for another memorable stay.

Wheaton, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

I have just returned to the U.S after a two week stay at your Erinvale Hotel South Africa .My wife and I and my Mother in Law from the UK had a thoroughly brilliant time during our stay . The staff was accommodating and helpful allowing us to book in early as our flight arrived before check in time and similarly allowing us to check out late the day of our departure. The staff could not have been more friendly and helpful to us during our extended stay. We had the time of our lives great food ,cordial and friendly personnel and environs. Our room clean modern and spacious just perfect with a patio overlooking the central garden .

Breakfast was included allowing us to sit inside for a more formal breakfast or out of doors in a beautiful garden with its own peacock .
Our trip to Somerset West was the most memorable we have had in years. My wife and I were married in the chapel on the hotel's estates Old Dutch colonial chapel 13 years ago . What a nice return to the beginnings of our relationship.

I have a number of friends and colleagues that are planning trips to Z.A . My first recommendation will be stay at Erinvale for a fabulous experience

Room Tip: Rooms with patios allow for a great end of an evening overlooking the courtyard with its own peacock
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Dear lawchicago2850

Thank you for the positive feedback. We're glad that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. Its always great to hear that our guests appreciates so many of the hotel's offerings and small details. It's also always great to hear that our staffs commitment to service excellence paid off and was appreciated by our guests.

Thanks you for the recommendations and I trust that we will have the privilege to welcome you back to the hotel soon for another memorable experience.

Phalaborwa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

We arrived on 18/01/2014 and was greeted by the friendliest people in a long time. The staff is committed to their duties and cannot wait to assist. The room was very good and it was a pleasure to put your feet up. Very good setting for the hotel and no noise from anywhere. Excellent choise if you would like four star hotel with five star treatment

Room Tip: Choose a family room on east side
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dear Gert H

Thank you for the positive feedback. We're glad that you enjoyed the stay and the setting the hotel offers. Its great to hear that you appreciated so the hotel's staff dedication to service.

We're delighted that you enjoyed your stay and trust that we'll have the privilege to welcome you back to the hotel soon for another relaxing and memorable stay.

Somerset West, South Africa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

I went for a massage at the Erinvale Spa.

Firstly, the manageress was lovely, offered me a complimentary steam before I went for my massage.

The massage therapist however, was not so lovely.

I lied down and as soon as her feet was under my face I had to start holding my breath. Her feet smelled so bad it was like someone put my husband's running shoes under my nose.

Her nails was also too long and her breath was really bad too.

All in all, I was hoping for a nice spa experience, filled with the normal scents and relaxed feelings, but I went home with that smelly feet smell still lingering.

I phoned the manageress, who apologized and said that she thanks me for being honest... she hopes that they would see me again. No complimentary treatment to actually give me the treatment I've paid for.

I don't know, very very bad client service.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Carina S
Jean-Paul v, Ginkgo Spa & Wellness Group at Erinvale Estate Hotel, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Dear Carina S,

As owner of the Ginkgo Brand and operator of the Spa at Erinvale I would publicly like to respond to your post. It is indeed unfortunate and we regret most sincerely that your experience with us was a negative one. Due to our interaction with onlybusiness.com your concerns were immediately directed to me. I tried to call you straightaway and followed this up with an email addressing your experience. You returned my call and we were able to discuss this in more detail. I apologized to you for your unpleasant experience and thanked you for bringing this matter to my attention. A choice of either a full re-imbursement or a similar treatment at any of our spas was offered as compensation. You accepted the latter. Obviously this was a very unfortunate incidence – one that thankfully is not the norm and that has subsequently been addressed.

Peter Krug – Ginkgo Spa & Wellness Group
Quebec City, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

Everything is perfect in this hotel, welcome, service, attention to guest, nice settings, great location.
The room is well decorated, you feel very comfortable, cute bathroom. Fast wifi.
Nice pools (but small) to rest and tan aside. Amazing landscape around.
Great restaurant, delicious buffet dinner, you have your breakfast among peacocks families.
Warm atmosphere. Will definitely recommend this place !!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jean-Paul v, General Manager at Erinvale Estate Hotel, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Dear Pitt1912

Thank you for the positive and complementary feedback. We're glad that you enjoyed the stay and the atmosphere the hotel offers. Its great to hear that you appreciated so many of the hotel's offerings and small details. The pool size is noted, and hopefully in the near future this to will add to a perfect stay.

Thanks you for the recommendations and I trust that we will welcome you back to the hotel soon for another memorable experience.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Somerset West
Spier Hotel
#4 of 16 in Stellenbosch
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,654 reviews
Silver Forest Boutique Lodge & Spa

Been to Erinvale Estate Hotel? Share your experiences!