Penny Lane Lodge
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
Krystal Beach Hotel(Gordon's Bay)
  • Spa
Gordon's Beach Lodge(Gordon's Bay)
Spier Hotel(Stellenbosch)
View Hotel
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 January 2014

My wife and I need temporary accommodation whilst we are preparing to move from Somerset West, Cape Town, to Pretoria.
I visited Penny Lane lodge on 19 Jan '14 to view the "chalet".
I was, somewhat, disappointed as the "chalet", viewed, appeared to be an old, wooden-based, "Wendy House" converted to accommodation?? It was small and appeared cramped and "musty". It is surrounded by bushes and high plants, not very inviting, in my humble opinion. There was, also, a "pump/motor", outside the front door, which was quite noisy. I am not sure if it runs at night as well--if it does, well...
The host Ms Diane White, was very friendly and accommodating. Nevertheless, not the quality of accommodation I was prepared to accept and I believe the price was, also, a bit steep for accommodation of this quality-----for us South Africans, of course.
Judging by the previous reviews, others have found the facility acceptable, though.
Ensure one is prepared for this situation if one is booking externally.
I did not enter the rest of the premises so cannot comment thereon.

Room Tip: See my review.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
diane7555, Owner at Penny Lane Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

We always welcome feedback - including from people who don't actually stay with us. A fresh eye is a useful marker. In response to this review, we would advise that our chalets are timber-framed and clad, insulated with plasterboard and were newly constructed just a few years ago. They are located in a secluded garden setting which many people enjoy. May we also reassure that the pool pumped mentioned is on a timing unit and does not run in the evening, overnight or early morning, but it does keep our swimming pool clean and sparkling!

Reviewed 21 August 2013

The place is great & offers a nice & quiet environment for resting. One thing that the hosts can improve on is separating their reception area from pets & smoking areas - visitors generally don't like both.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Phylis M
diane7555, Owner at Penny Lane Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2013

Dear Guest, thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your feedback and have taken note of your comments. It is good to know that you were pleased with your room during your short stay and we will pass your appreciation onto our housekeeping staff.

Reviewed 26 June 2013

I stayed at Penny Lane with my family. We had a really nice time. The owners and the dogs were all very friendly and the breakfasts were wonderful. No complaints from us!
Kevin and Diane had lots amazing ideas for things for me to do. Thanks for the experience.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
diane7555, Owner at Penny Lane Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2013

Thanks for your review Brandon, so glad you enjoyed the safari, the golf and the surfing...and that you came back all in one piece from your sky dive!

Reviewed 19 May 2013

I stayed here last week for 4 days on business. I was put up in one of the self catering chalets.
Unfortunately being on business meant that didn't have much chance to take Dianne's and Kevins sight seeing advice, but they were very useful for recommending nice local restaurants. They were even kind enough to help me after I trip and cut myself. I would highly recommend this as a place to stay.
If I were to have any gripes it would be the wifi didn't reach the chalet and a few more tv channels would have been nice.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
dianewh, Owner at Penny Lane Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2013

Thank you taking the time to give us your feedback. We do appreciate it! So glad you had a comfortable stay. We would be delighted to have you stay with us again, whether on business or pleasure, we are here to make all our guests feel at home and you would be most welcome.

Reviewed 17 May 2013

My husband, two young children and I stayed in the cottage at Penny Lane Lodge. The cottage is very comfortable with a well-equipped kitchen which was perfect for self-catering for our young family. There is a private patio behind the cottage with a little garden and a barbeque. There is a nice clean pool in the main garden surrounded by lovely palm trees.

The beach is a short drive away. We found the beach at Gordon's Bay best for the kids, with rock pools to explore as well as lovely sand. There are some good places to eat here too. We also enjoyed a picnic in the nature reserve where our children were amazed to see the biggest tortoises ever!

The town of Somerset West has all you need and there are all the wine farms up the road. Diane and Kevin were really helpful in suggesting which were best to visit for the kids and we had a great day at Spier where the tame owls landed on our heads.

We had a lovely holiday for the first time in South Africa. Thank you Diane and Kevin for making us so welcome.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family

Dear Julia,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review, we do appreciate your nice comments. So glad you and your family enjoyed your holiday here. It was such a pleasure to have you stay here. Have a lovely summer and hope to see you again one day!
With best wishes, Diane