“This is the place for a lunch in Swellendam”
Review of La Belle Alliance

La Belle Alliance
Ranked #10 of 40 Restaurants in Swellendam
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: La Belle Alliance, a family run restaurant since 1998, is situated on the main road between the Drostdy Museum and the Dutch Reformed Church, on the banks of the Koornlands river.The historical building was formerly a masonic lodge with some symbols still visible on the premises today. The garden terrace offers tranquility and shade under a canopy of White Stinkwood trees and lots of sunshine and blankets on cooler winter days."Specials" include both traditional and international dishes, all freshly home made.La Belle Alliance is renowned for its efficient and friendly service. The venue is child and dog friendly and the ideal spot to enjoy a relaxed breakfast or lunch.Opening hours: Mondays to Sundays: 8am to 5pm.Fully Licensed.Credit cards accepted.Languages spoken: English, Afrikaans, Dutch/Flemish, French and German.Indoor (50 pax) and outdoor(100 pax) seating.Groups welcome.Find us on facebook.GPS longitude: 20'27' EGPS Latitude: 34' 01' S
Reviewed 13 September 2013

This is a very nice location for a stop while travelling in the area. We had a very nice and good lunch in the garden by the river. The garden and the table setting are very nice and convenient. We were in 4 but the garden can manage even large groups. Food was very nice just like service as we order from the days special board. Especially if the weather is nice this is the place to go to.

1  Thank ziocut

Reviewed 11 September 2013

I was most disappointed by my dining experience at La Belle Alliance in Swellendam. I ordered a hamburger and chips which was fairly expensive (R74) for a burger but I figured it would be sumptuous, rustic, country eating which is so enjoyable in beautiful towns like Swellendam. Instead, my burger patty had been cooked in the morning and microwaved for me in the afternoon. It had no taste, was too hot to eat, and was drenched in a sickly sweet sauce. I think, although I cannot be sure, that the patty was probably cooked at least a day before. When I enquired, I was told that it had been warmed but also that I could not have a deduction in price because I had eaten the burger. I did not eat the whole burger, and with the sauce all over it, I could not know that it had been microwaved in the first place.

Overall, it was the worst country dining experience I have had, at a price. I would certainly not recommend La Belle Alliance to anyone - there are restaurants in Swellendam that offer FRESH food at a fair price.

Reviewed 30 July 2013

Lovely setting on the river. Simple but wholesome food, good service. Recommended and didn't disappoint in any way. Well located near museum and galleries.

1  Thank Catherine040
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Wonderful place to rest and eat during your trip to Swellendam. Is located in an old free-manson lodge; we ate there for breakfast and truly enjoyed its nice location by the river and the delicious omelettes and pancakes!

2  Thank FedericoPaesano
Reviewed 4 June 2013

Beautifully situated next to the river. Tables on the deck allow you to eat with the birds. Food is good but a bit pricey.

2  Thank RobynKadis