“Good food and very friendly service”

De Vagebond Restaurant
Ranked #12 of 40 Restaurants in Swellendam
Price range: US$4 - US$17
Cuisines: African
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Under New ownership since 1 December 2010, it became a Family Restaurant serving Local Cuisine and Traditional South African Dishes, including; Bobotie, Game Pie, Kudu Fillet, Springbok Shank, Malva Pudding. We stock some of the regions finest wines and have a fully stocked bar. A big fire will be burning in the evenings if the weather allows to welcome all to a romantic night of the best South Africa have to offer.
Reviewed 3 July 2013

We went here for dinner two nights in a row while visiting delightful Swellendam: very friendly and helpful staff, and a varied menu. The first night we had steak -- excellent! -- and the second night we opted for soup and salad: again, very good. It was also good to see a good mix of tourists and locals, even on weekday evenings. Recommended!

Reviewed 1 July 2013

The ambience is stunning, a home away from home, with great tasting food. The hosts make you feel very welcome and part of the family!

Reviewed 18 June 2013

Tasty food, HUGE portions and excellent service - just a pity the lights weren't working in the section we sat in (very romantic, though). Will definitely recommend to others.

Reviewed 4 June 2013

Have eaten here a number of times. Food is good and there is sometimes live music inside. The outdoor area has a nice fireplace-table for cooler nights. Try the venison pie, pretty good.

Reviewed 13 May 2013

I had the priviledge of eating at this restaurant. I had a Chicken burger and Vegetable with a side order of onion rings.
The waitress that served me was amazing. Excellent personality and service. Her name was Kathy. I also got to meet Wessel and Elzebet who told me about the town and the places of interest. They are very good hosts and even invited me to sit at there table. I had a really enjoyable time there and sure did not feel like a restaurant. More like eating at home. the best part was the lovely big fire outside that warmed up the area.

I will be going back for sure when back in town. Hopefully not too long from now.

1  Thank Brendan G