“Delicious Venison”

Powell House Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 37 Restaurants in Swellendam
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: African, International
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: We make you feel at home. A quaint restaurant serving delicious food at great value.
Reviewed 20 January 2014

We returned for dinner over the Xmas season & once again received a warm welcome from Alan (owner) and he offered the last table available!
The wide selection of venison on the menu was impressive & delicious ....smoked Crocodile Carpaccio & Ostrich fillet for starters and then we ordered grilled Gemsbok & Kudu fillets for our main course .....yummy! Whilst my partner tucked into the Eton mess (Meringue, cream & fresh strawberries with an awesome granadilla sauce) I ordered their renouned Malva Pudding with a superb sauce!
I also noticed the 300g Rump steak special for only R110 ....not to be found anywhere in Swellendam! Great value for a popular steak! Make a turn to Powell house next time in Swellendam....you wont burn your wallet!

1  Thank Shark1jhburg

Reviewed 22 December 2013 via mobile

The food was great, but what really stood out was the personal service of the owner. Well worth a visit.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

This small but excellent restaurant has only limited menu choices, but it's not quantity but quality that counts. We greatly enjoyed the game-meat dishes, prawn salad, and wonderful deserts, served often by owner/manager Alan in person (his wife Cheryl is the chef).
One evening we had the chance of hearing a performance by 2 female staff (singing for a guest who had a birthday) who have the most wonderful voices. This place is definitely to be recommended.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

I recently returned from holiday , having spent a few days in Swellendam . I had dinner at Powell House Restaurant , Alan , the owner/host told me about the days " special " it was " taste of Africa " , which included a trio of game meats , kudu , ostrich and springbok , so this is what I ordered , when the meal arrived it looked truly amazing , a large platter , beautifully presented and tasted so delicious , I did not know where to put my knife and fork first , and which meat to try first ! all were as tasty as the next , being from London I especially enjoyed the dish as you don t get to eat different game meats too often , never mind the three different meats I had on my one platter , I remember laughing to myself , as I thought , you would have to be making " investment banker wages " to afford the equivalent dish in London , I noticed the table next to me had ordered a dish called " Tapas for two " , when this dish arrived on their table , I was again amazed , a huge platter of all things seafood , it looked super impressive , they all tucked in big time . For a dining experience of a warm friendly host , great food , beautifully presented , and an elegant ambiance , give Powell House Restaurant a try .

Alexander
London , England .

Reviewed 10 November 2013

Have been visiting Swellendam for a number of years now and on our last trip in September decided to give Powell house a try based on T/A reviews, visited on a quiet rainy Saturday afternoon with all the family had burgers and salads, all fresh and well presented, Alan couldn't have been more hospitable, everybody enjoyed the food, excellent value for money, the food was that good that we visited on 2 further occasions during our 2 week stay, on each visit we were not disappointed the Lamb curry is excellent as re the lamb chops, good wines wonderful service and if you are lucky the girls from the kitchen will sing for you, wonderful experience, please keep it up Alan & Cheryl, we know its a hard business but what you are doing is right and customers should appreciate all your hard work, if you are visiting Swellendam you must dine here, for a typical local restaurant .