“Just a bit strange”

Ranked #1 of 1 Fun & Games in Swellendam
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We decided to visit the fairy sanctuary simply to find out "what is a fairy sanctuary?"

We arrived before locked gates and toadstools. The bell was answered by a tall women who let us in and very quickly told us where to start and end out tour - in the shop of course! Under the blue skies of a wintery day we entered and started our walk. Now it advises 2-3 hours, if you intend to investigate each toadstool and flower for sleeping fairies then yes you will need 2-3 hours otherwise 15 minutes will do.

There is a huge array of fairies, gnomes, dragons and wizards sprinkled across the gardens, signs with words of peace, hope and love are everywhere. For a child it would seem magical but for a 40yr old it seemed a bit strange.

Apparently in a TV interview the owner declared herself to be a elf with care taker duties for the fairy sanctuary, she was not there during our visit. I am sure she would have been interesting and full of stories of the fair folk she cares for.

Just a bit strange for me and the price of "fairy dust" a little frightening.

1  Thank Nat P
"playground"
"collection"
"products"

Reviewed 14 January 2014

unfortuneately it was pouring with rain and therefore the gardens were closed which was the bit I was most looking forward to. But just running through it was pretty strange! I had this place described to me before going and it went over my expectations of just how many fairies there would. friendly staff. would love to go back again one day if I'm ever in SA again, and experience it properly.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

This was our first visit to this amazing sanctuary , a place that is overflowing with such intense positive and loving energies.An experience not to be missed , no matter how old you are or what your beliefs are.Look at the incredible hand created sculptures that
we " adopted " Definately going back again soon .

1  Thank Jennifer S
Reviewed 18 December 2013

I wanted to love this place - faeries, grotto's, magic dust and wonder - but alas I found it stuffed full of cheaply made chinese style fairies and such like stuff. I wanted a wonderful collection of hand made and unusal fairylike creations. Saying that the gardens are lovely and my kids enjoyed poking about, and on the upside I spent very little money - bath pills that grow into sponge animals anyone?