Old Thatch Lodge
Victoria Hotel(Bredasdorp)
US$52
US$129
TripAdvisor
All reviewschampagne breakfastincluding champagnethe ownerb bone nightgarden routegreat tastegreat breakfastfresh fruitcooked breakfastcape townwithin walking distancelovely gardensouth africaattention to detailsaunanectarines
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 January 2014

First of all let me start off by saying that the service was outstanding, Karin is a fantastic host...unfortunately that's not what you're paying for.
The honeymoon suite is tiny! there is no private pool as described on booking.com
The pool in the pictures is JUST big enough for 4 people to SIT in.
If you are thinking of going in the summer, take your own fan with! My poor wife is pregnant and I spent most of the evening holding up the excuse of a fan (looks more like an old hair drier) trying to cool her down.
The TV screen (for late night viewing) is as small as a 7 inch table, but without the mobility thereof...i's from the 1900's...and most channels don't work.
The shower is small and uncomfortable to wash in.
In case you forget, thatch houses DO have spiders and it was evident that the ceiling was seldom, if ever cleaned.
The breakfast was fantastic,but due to the nights 4 hour short rest, I was too tired to enjoy everything.

Room Tip: Don't choose the honeymoon suite, it's nothing like what you may be thinking! Take a fan!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 December 2013

A wonderfull old house with a lovely garden and rooms furnished with great care and taste.
We could only stay one night and regret it: it is worth staying longer to be able to enjoy the place.
We had the best breakfast ever on our trip in South Africa

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 November 2013

When I came to Swellendam it was raining, which limited the possibilities of excursions. Luckily I chose the right guesthouse, which made my stay worthwhile. Perfect breakfast, very nice hostess, and cosy fireplace in the common room.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Staying at the Old Thatch Lodge is in experience in itself. I do not think I've ever been that pampered in my life. A stay at this B&B would cost hundreds of dollars in the U.S. The rooms are beautiful, with African masks and every detail thought through and created with a lot of taste and care. A porcupine-needle bed lamp. A wooden carving of giraffe taller than our 6'4" son. Wooden window shutters. Body lotion in the bathroom for the dry African winter. Fantastic beds and blankets. Full use of a beautiful kitchen and a common lounge, which is more like a living room with a fireplace. Staying there felt like being a houseguest at a friend's house. In the morning, when I opened the room door, I saw a fully set table in front of me in the living room, with jams, fruits, and breads. The owner, Karin, convinced me to try her eggs, which she prepared herself, and they were superb. Our kid enjoyed playing with the dogs (who are not allowed into the house). It rained, and we hung our on the covered terrace for a while, talking to Karin. The garden is beautiful, and we regret we did not have the time to try the sauna. The photos on the lodging websites, in my opinion. do not do justice to the Old Thatch Lodge. Extraordinarily pleasant stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Our (3 couples and a single) stay at The Old Thatch was, although only one night, absolutely fantastic. After being welcomed by the owner and her very friendly dogs we were shown to our excellent rooms.
Breakfast the next morning was an absolute high during our stay in SA.
Highly recommended!!