“Disappointing!”

Val Du Charron Wine & Olive Estate Guesthouse
Ranked #2 of 24 Wellington B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Although the building was beautiful, I found the service very disappointing. We were not introduced to the manager for our entire stay. We were escorted to our room by one of the day staff who wasn't able to explain what was for dinner that evening. Then when I declined the dinner, as nobody could describe it to me, the staff were rude and irritable with us. We then went out for the dinner and had to return to the back entrance, which had no light and we struggled through the dark to our room. By this stage the day staff had left and no one from the night staff came to introduce themselves to us. When we asked for a glass of wine from the bar section, the lady (who had no idea if we were guests or not) said that she didn't know what wines they have and we must look ourselves in their cabinet and bring her the one we want. In the morning, I'm guessing it was the manager finally spoke to us by asking if we wanted to check out and if there was any outstanding amounts we need to pay. As I said, we found the building beautiful but the service was very disappointing and we will not be recommending this accommodation to anyone nor will we be returning for another stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Megan J

Reviewed 16 September 2013

What a wonderfully relaxed weekend. The accommodation is great and the setting tranquil. The guest house works equally well for a romantic getaway as well as for a relaxing family weekend. It's also well located in Wellington and close to some lovely wine estates and restaurants. Service is friendly and welcoming and all staff were always helpful with anything we needed, even changes to the menu. The views are exceptional!!

2  Thank Alan B
Reviewed 10 September 2013

our stay at Val Du Charron was great, the service was excellent and we are most certainly looking forward to our next visit...WE even got to see the snow on the mountain, the view was all kinds of great. I highly recommend it to people who just want to relax and appriciate nature.

2  Thank Rudy M
ValduCharron, Manager at Val Du Charron Wine & Olive Estate Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2013

Good morning Rudy,

Thank you for the lovely review. It was so special for us to share our gorgeous fairyland with you. What a treat before breakfast!

Reviewed 9 September 2013

A classy yet warm & welcoming place that is very well run by friendly staff who are eager to please their guests.

Set in the magnificent Wellington Valley and surrounded by mountains and vineyards, this place makes for a wonderful environment to really relax and enjoy excellent hospitality, good food and wine, all at a reasonable price, given that this is a proper 4* establishment.

The rooms are tastefully decorated and ample guest supplies are provided, including a hairdryer, wall safe, coffee maker with excellent coffee etc. Rooms have a small verandah with magnificent views of the mountains and the valley.

Dining rooms/lounges/tasting room have fireplaces that add to the ambiance.

For short breaks, this has to be one of the best in the area to relax & recharge.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Stephen V
ValduCharron, General Manager at Val Du Charron Wine & Olive Estate Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2014

Fabulous to hear your soul was recharged, yes its magic isn't it?

Thank you for a magnificent run down of your experience with us.
makes it all worth it waiting on our guest, with a great come back!

Come back & visit our new Spa!

Culinary Regards
Karin Schmidt
Hospitality Manager

Reviewed 1 September 2013

I wrote to you Monday without any response.............

Whilst I had a lovely night in beautiful accommodation, two issues worth attending to -
1 - We went out to eat and got locked out. It was freezing when we got back and spent a considerable amount of time in the freezing cold. No one told us about the key that opens the building on the far side of the building!

2 - we found woman's underwear behind the chair in our room - staff need to check!

We will be back but lttle issues need sorting out.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Mike H
ValduCharron, Manager at Val Du Charron Wine & Olive Estate Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2013

Dear Mike,

Thank you for taking the time to raise your concerns, it is much appreciated. I am terribly sorry, I never received your email otherwise I would have responded immediately. I don`t know how the underwear was missed, I checked all of the rooms that day and another two sets of eyes also went through that room and well all missed it. Must have been a determined peace of underwear.
I can only but apologise and assure you that I am even more thorough now in pulling furniture away.

Your room key has an outside door key on and I apologise that the personnel did not explain it to you on arrival. I have since ensured that all my staff are briefed again on checking in procedures. Hopefully all future guests will not have to endure your discomfort. Again, my sincerest apologies.

Reviewed 31 August 2013

Excellent - one word only
This place is awesome
The personnel very professional and helpful
The rooms are cold but set in the most beautiful environment
Supply electric blankets
Allow one day visitors to site see the farm

2  Thank Willie N

Dear Willie,

Thank you for your feedback and kind compliments.
We are indeed open to day visitors. We have just launched our picnic baskets and day visitors are welcome to enjoy our complimentary wine tasting or book a picnic basket and enjoy some Boland chic and award winning wines.

I will definitely look into your recommendation of supplying electric blankets for next winter.

Reviewed 26 August 2013

The guesthouse is lovely, the rooms were comfortable - however, we were not given the correct room as requested - not once but several times. In fact I even changed my booking in order to get a room with a double bed. We were given 2 singles. No explanation given. Sadly the staff have no knowledge of the area around Wellington which is unacceptable, considering many of the visitors do not know the area, as was the case with us. We wanted to have a light lunch close by and none of the staff could give us any information. There is so much competition in this industry one would think that staff would be well trained and guests would be given the rooms they had booked. We wont be returning.

Dear Shirley,

Thank you for posting this review. Like I said to you in our email correspondence, I am sorry that you were let down in your choice of room. We only have 3 double bed rooms and most of our guests request double beds. We try our utmost to accommodate everyone. Preference are given to longer stays with regards to the allocation of rooms but I explained all that in my response to you.

I have also embarked on more staff training to ensure that they are up to speed with the offerings in the area. I am sure that all our future guests will benefit from your feedback with regards to the activities in our area.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wellington
De Leeuwenhof Hotel/Guesthouse
#4 of 24 in Wellington
Oude Wellington Estate
Oude Wellington Estate
#7 of 24 in Wellington

Been to Val Du Charron Wine & Olive Estate Guesthouse? Share your experiences!