Val Du Charron Wine & Olive Estate Guesthouse
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Ridgeback House(Windmeul)
  • Room Service
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewscoach housethe grillsteakpiza e vinoplunge poolfamily roomprivate balconyamazing viewsheaven on earthcellar tourexcellent servicestar establishmentbeautiful settingwonderful weekendtop classfollowing morningrelaxing stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 October 2013

We stayed at Val du Charon for three nights. We were greeted by a lady who turned out to be a multi-jobbed individual. Whilst we were there, she was receptionist, front of house, cleaner and cook. The room we stayed in was small but the view was spectacular. The food was average. The owner is very friendly.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tarren1976
Reviewed 11 October 2013

I've just returned from an excellent weekend at Val Du Charron, and I'd heartily recommend it to other travelers visiting the Western Cape.
Firstly the location is breath-staggeringly beautiful, nestled in a valley with the most magnificent mountains rising behind vines. It's less than an hour from Capetown by car, and a few minutes from the town of Wellington, which is quite a quirky, historical 'dorp'.
The Estate is gorgeous, with the original farmhouse (1699!), guesthouse and tasting rooms wrapped round a beautiful terrace and lawns - all framing that excellent view. The bedrooms were very comfortable, and we had a few glasses round the big roaring fire when the sun went down.
We ate at VdC both nights, and the food was fantastic. But the real reason for staying at a wine estate is to sample the wines, and the selection of home-grown reds (and whites) was truly fantastic. We were really looked after by the staff, and the owners are very knowledgable about their wines - and excellent hosts.
I had my parents out from Scotland for three weeks in South Africa and they reckon our weekend at VdC was the highlight of their trip - I can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: All the rooms face the mountains, so no worries there.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Jozicelt
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Our stay was wonderful! Excellent service, excellent knowledge of the wines offered, excellent scenery. It was absolutely beautiful! My partner and I took a walk and the resident dogs joined us, which was great! He took his guitar and we sat on a bench along the way, singing and enjoying the spectacular view!

Thank you Val Du Charron! :)

1  Thank Nicolette B
Reviewed 30 September 2013

We enjoyed our weekend away at Val Du Charron Wine and Olive Estate Guesthouse. The very is very peaceful and relaxing. The food is great and the service that we received from the waitressing ladies and Tony (tour guide) was excellent. We would definatly recommend this venue to any of our friends and will pop in around for lunch sometime. Thank you very much to the Val Du Charron team for making our stay a pleasurable one and a special birthday present for my partner. We enjoyed ourselves.

1  Thank Unathi B
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Although the building was beautiful, I found the service very disappointing. We were not introduced to the manager for our entire stay. We were escorted to our room by one of the day staff who wasn't able to explain what was for dinner that evening. Then when I declined the dinner, as nobody could describe it to me, the staff were rude and irritable with us. We then went out for the dinner and had to return to the back entrance, which had no light and we struggled through the dark to our room. By this stage the day staff had left and no one from the night staff came to introduce themselves to us. When we asked for a glass of wine from the bar section, the lady (who had no idea if we were guests or not) said that she didn't know what wines they have and we must look ourselves in their cabinet and bring her the one we want. In the morning, I'm guessing it was the manager finally spoke to us by asking if we wanted to check out and if there was any outstanding amounts we need to pay. As I said, we found the building beautiful but the service was very disappointing and we will not be recommending this accommodation to anyone nor will we be returning for another stay.

1  Thank Megan J