“A 7 star let down”

The Empire Hotel & Country Club
Reviewed 23 October 2013 via mobile

We arrived at this hotel after a week at Rasa Rai in Borneo where we'd been wowed. (Brunei Airlines travel so took opportunity to see Brunei although main destination was Borneo and Orangutans). We fully expected the same here after all we'd read and the pictures we'd viewed. For all it's supposed 7 star-ness, we had to queue to check in, got given a room that looked out over an empty pool and caterpillar tractor (no kidding!). We asked to move and did, but couldn't entirely avoid the construction work and noise). The well advertised "magnificent" pool complex was 60% closed - no one mentioned this when we were booking (and it hadn't occurred to us to ask....we do every time now!). The atmosphere was too formal for families and what ambience there was was dull and lifeless after happy, cheery Rasa Rai. We were glad to only have 3 nights. Next time we'd extend at Rasa Rai and only fly through Brunei.

Stayed: November 2012
TheEmpireHotel, General Manager at The Empire Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank for your feedback on your recent experience at The Empire and I am very concerned to read that your experience did not live up to your expectations.

I would, therefore, invite you to discuss your experience in more detail and would ask that you kindly make contact with me directly, at your convenience.

Nigel Badminton

Write a ReviewReviews (1,063)

Reviewed 19 October 2013

The Empire Hotel boasts itself of its grandeur and excellent service and we expected that with paying for the Empire Select membership. My husband and I have decided to stay in the hotel to celebrate our 5th year wedding anniversary. After my email to the sales department was left unanswered after a few days, we decided to just make a call to inquire regarding the Empire select membership. Thinking we would be saving alot and enjoying the benefits, we would probably be able to enjoy our 5th year anniversary. Boy, were we wrong!!!! After being promised a reservation at Pantai restaurant (the day before our anniversary), we went to have dinner, and lo and behold! My husband's name was not included for reservations!!! Had the restaurant been full, we would not have been able to dine in there, but luckily, the F&B team were wonderful. Another thing! We were informed we were able to bill the dinner to our room, but no!! Thinking this was possible, we didn't bring any valuables out and left everything in the safe box provided in our room. So, when the waiter at Pantai had inform us we were unable to bill the dinner to the room, my husband had to walk back to our room and deal with the broken door to our room(!!!) in order to get back to me quickly so we could pay for our meal and just get back to our room. And yes, our door's access key area is slightly broken and requires a lot of tries in order for us to enter our room. (This was also a discomfort as it took up our time when checking in to our room, with the poor receptionist having to go back up twice to the reception area to check on the keys! Cherry on top of the sundae, we were not even informed that the breakfast was not part of the package! Had we been well informed, we would have NOT signed up for the empire select and just got the offer package for October! Oh! and i almost missed one big info! We were "given an upgrade" to main building with us having to pay for $88 but with NO prior call to inform us that there were no available king sized beds (as we requested) at the other buildings. We were promised a phone call by the lady at Empire select office, but we didn't get one. We are very disappointed! Thanks Empire for ruining our anniversary!

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Anna21385

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and I apologise for your disappointing experience.

I believe we have subsequently been in contact and I hope that this has been resolved to your satisfaction.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

It's big. It's opulent. It's relaxing. But it's getting tired and it's the little things that weren't there that made a difference. No hand towels. Bathroom lights that don't turn off. An hour and a phone call before your luggage is delivered to your room even though you didn't want them to deliver it in the first place. Rooms that are cleaned at the time you're getting ready to go for dinner. Empty salt and pepper shakers on tables. The absolute inability to see dirty dishes and have them collected from your table or pool side. The noisy generator that they decided to place in the middle of picture-perfect view and start up in the busiest parts of the day right near the pool. We found one person at concierge that was very helpful, the rest knew nothing of the area or tourist attractions. The food is definitely hotel food and I was disappointed to see no focus on local cuisine. And there's no gift shop to get a postcard or cheesy souvenir!! It's the small things that stopped our experience from being spectacularly decadent, which is what we wanted, just for a couple of days.

In saying this, having seen BSB, this is definitely the place to stay. There's nothing else like it.

It's B$25 into town, about 20 minutes in a taxi. B$25 or $35 one way to the airport, depending on your driver or who negotiates for you!!

The people are wonderful, warm and friendly. If I came back to Brunei, I'd stay here again - with my expectations in check!!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank drumrach

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your constructive feedback and I apologise for the disappointing service you experienced.

I wish to assure you that your comments have been taken seriously and the consistency of our service is being addressed.

I do hope you will return to stay with us in the future, when we hope to make amends, and please do mention this report at the time of the booking.

Reviewed 12 October 2013

Huge! I was impressed with the interiors showcasing how grand the hotel is. My family stayed at 2 Deluxe Rooms which offers a stunning view of the sea, splendid it was! Rooms are quite big enough for the entire family. Beds are really comfy and the bathrooms are really nice. One thing i like about it is that it's beachfront.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review and I look forward to welcome you and your family back.

Reviewed 11 October 2013

Stayed there for two nights. The service was very good. The rooms were huge and very clean and overlooking the ocean. We enjoyed our stay there. Nothing much to complain for the price you pay. We were treated very well. Recommended.

Room Tip: Room overlooking the sea.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

I am delighted you were impressed with your visit and look forward to welcoming you back to The Empire in the future.

Reviewed 6 October 2013

I recently attended a conference that was held at this hotel and stayed here as well. It's a huge property with some very opulent touches. Rooms were a bit dated but large and clean with nice bathrooms. I also found the bed comfortable. I ate most of my meals through conference events and I found the food to be quite good. I attend a lot of events and usually mass catering is disappointing. Gym was nice. If I'm ever in Brunei again for work I'd stay here.

Room Tip: Try to get a seaview (which I didn't t have)
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

I appreciate you taking your time to write a review in TripAdvisor and I look forward to welcome you back at sometime in the future.

Reviewed 4 October 2013

Despite the other reviews which rave about this place, we found the experience extremely disappointing. The internet images do not live up to reality - the large pool was slimey and the edges caked with algae, the advertised "watersports" not operating (can't get contractors apparently), all food/drink and services non existent from 12-2pm on Fridays (our main day there) and I was left waiting for my organised pick up in the nearest township in the dark for over half an hour. Added to this is the fact that the bar menu is very limited with some of the popular items "not available". The entire pool area shuts at 7pm and the place is dead after this time, with only the expensive restaurant to go to (or a long buggy ride to the "country club" area, which is also dead. Lastly, there is no courtesy transport to or from the airport.

Word of warning, my son jumped from their dangerous bouncing raft on the pool, which throws you off balance and nearly broke his neck. As it was, he lost all the skin off his forehead and nose on the grimey bottom of the shallow pool. We noted that signs everywhere say that the hotel takes no responsibility, yet the raft clearly says on it that it should be only used in 8' of water. If you have older children - make sure they do not use this one and only "fun" pool facility. Interestingly, almost no-one else swam in the pools, probably because of the muslim practice of not swimming publicly.

On that note, if you like a drink or you smoke - make note that it is totally forbidden throughout Brunei. Yes, even in top tourist hotels such as this one. My son and I do neither, but it kind of explains why the hotel is almost deserted (at least by non-muslims).

On the plus, the building and grounds are stunning and the room was lovely - but at $500 for two nights, they should be!

We won't be back.

Room Tip: If you smoke, drink or like to swim you might want to choose another hotel, and possibly another cou...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Karen M

Dear Guest,

It was with regret that I read your report on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay at The Empire.

I have taken note of all the concerns you have raised, and should you wish to elaborate further on your experience, I would be pleased to correspond with you.

I am so sorry your visit fell short of your expectations and I hope to be in contact with you, at your convenience, in due course.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kampong Jerudong
#8 of 19 in Bandar Seri Begawan
Badi'ah Hotel
Badi'ah Hotel
#4 of 19 in Bandar Seri Begawan

Been to The Empire Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!