“It’s a Grand and Large Hotel”

The Empire Hotel & Country Club
Reviewed 15 December 2013

I was fortunate to have nine days in Brunei in December for an exhibition, and the first thing you notice upon reaching the sites is just the sheer size of this place, as it is a hotel and Country Club complete with golf course attached.

This hotel was obviously designed to make a statement and just a quick stroll around the lobby will do that for you. This hotel does in some parts reminds me of the Al Rasheed, Baghdad. But unlike the Al Rasheed this hotel has many more things going for it. Here the rooms are large and if you have a sea facing room a grand view.

Still adjusting to the new time zone I woke up at around 4am, after milling around at around 5am I decided to take a walk around in the grounds, it took me about thirty minutes just to walk around about a quarter of the grounds to the main entrance.

There are many things that I liked about this hotel, not necessarily in any order, but the shower was nice and powerful it will definitely wake you up in the mornings. There is a good choice of different restaurants on the hotel grounds, although during a busy time for the hotel two of them were closed for a couple of nights Li Fong and Pantai. I also used the gym a couple of the morning, but to note this is located in the Golf Club and the hotel will tell you its fifteen minutes walk away and therefore you will need a buggy to get there, but in reality its only a seven minute walk. The facilities in the gym were good and although the sauna had seen better days, it still worked much better than the steam room which looked a little sad.
I liked the fact that the television allowed you to plug and play your own content, via HDMI interface, for anyone that has looked at the limited Brunean television channels may appreciate bringing some of your own content from home to watch (see photo). Most movies here are heavily censored, so much so that you loose half the jokes from your typical comedy. To put it another way, a movie like 48 Hours would probably last no more than fifteen minutes.

On the negatives, Empire Hotel and Country Club are remote not near anything apart from the sea. On top if you have to go anywhere, you will need to rely on the hotel cars or taxis and to note there are only 50 taxis in the whole of Brunei, yes five zero, then at nights apparently there are only five taxis operating, usually around the airport. So if you are spending any significant time at this hotel you should consider hiring a car for the duration of your stay, because there only seems to be one taxi fare and that is B$30 dollar everywhere I went, but you can hire a car for B$75 a day, on top of this a litre of water is more expensive than a litre of petrol.

I did find some of the hotel staff, awkward in serving but speaking to a couple of people who said that Brunei unlike many of its neighbours doesn’t have many tourists so unlike the Thais and Philippinos, the service industry quite poor, one of the girls serving me was actually shaking as she tried to pour me a coffee one morning; others when they spoke often mumbled away from you, so I struggled to hear what they were saying. Others were great, but this does remind me of first visiting Latvia many years ago, I think some service industry training is required, considering this is the premier hotel in the country. Many of the staff were great, but there were some who really generally struggled to deal with people.
Once you know what to expect I would certainly choose to stay here again, some of the views from the windows are spectacular, although in the distance I am still not sure by what country I could see in the distance. To summarise, a great hotel but on first appearances does in parts looks a bit dated but certainly don’t let this put you off, this is a great hotel with plenty of facilities to offer.

Five things I liked about this hotel

1. Nice powerful showers
2. Afternoon tea is great value
3. Television plug & play, makes it easy to use
4. Complimentary orange juice, reminded me of the orange juice we used to get from the milk man
5. Great views looking over the South China sea

Five things I disliked

1. The location is remote and no public transport
2. The internet was free but very unstable
3. No ATM on the site,
4. Restaurants struggled to cope when busy
5. Service could be very slow when busy

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
TheEmpireHotel, General Manager at The Empire Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2013

Dear Guest,

I thank you for taking the time to leave such comprehensive feedback on your recent visit to The Empire.

I have taken careful note of this and will keep it in mind for future improvements and as we continue to work on improving our service.

Nigel Badminton

Write a ReviewReviews (1,065)

Reviewed 12 December 2013

Just once in your lifetime, take a break in Brunei and spoil yourself for a few days at this hotel. Absolutely extravagant lobby and foyer. All rooms surrounded by lakes and the South China Sea. We hired a sail boat and sailed around the bay. We played golf, ten pin bowling and ate lots of yummy pizzas. A hire car is a needed. A nice short drive is to the Brunei Yacht Club for fish and chips and a beer (very cheap). Kick back and be spoilt.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your visit and your positive review is much appreciated.

Reviewed 7 December 2013

It was my first visit to Brunei and the Hotel it self given superb experience in luxury environment. Enjoyed a lot event it was a business trip. Hotel is speeded over huge area and it's provide theaters, Golf club, Water pools in different conditions etc. Even the surrounding was rally beautiful and walking path around the hotel gives better impact to keep the daily health exercises too.

Room Tip: Super hotel to stay in Brunei
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 30 November 2013

I went to Brunei for the first time and upon reaching the Airport which is near completion of the New International Airport, went to the Hotel and when I arrived at the Lobby it's large with Tall Pillars and Golden atmosphere. The Staff was very friendly and courteous. I was given a Room and upon reaching the room, I was surprised to see the furnishings top grade, Toilets and Showers top grade, TV. Large Screen..Looking outside the room, the scenes was so nice with blu seas and skies. The cutlery and Ice Bucket was Silver..When I had my Breakfast the table setup was with Silver cutlery and the Buffet Spread was Internationally excellent. I had my dinner near the Seaside the Food was of high quality .. The Banquet Hall and facility, service was Top Class..It was a memorable moments of my life to stay at this place

Room Tip: Request for Ocean View...
1  Thank SAMSARUJEE

Dear Guest,

Thank you for complimenting The Empire team and I am pleased that you experienced a memorable moments here.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

During a recent business trip to Brunei (my first), I had the pleasure to visit this hotel and make use of its facilities several times. This included three meals (two lunches and a dinner), one afternoon tea, and two lengthy visits to the pool. So my comments are limited to these facilities and not the guest rooms. My impression is very positive. All of my meals at the hotel were excellent, and even tea was a pleasant surprise (very reasonable cost and beautiful views from the upper lobby). The pool is quite beautiful with plenty of space to spread out and swim. I will also note that I have a food allergy that can sometimes be challenging when I travel, and the Empire hotel staff handled this beautifully. I will even give special mention of Shaun Cacacha, the restaurant manager, who very kindly made a couple of trips to the kitchen on my behalf. He and the rest of the staff were incredibly nice, as has been my experience of everyone I've ever met in Brunei.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your generous report on TripAdvisor and will certainly share your kind comment with Shaun and the other members of staff.

I look forward to welcoming you back in not too distant future.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

....if you're going to just stay put, do some golf, soak up the sun and swim in the nice pools. Even on business travel if you just do your meetings here, it's a really nice place....decadent a little, perhaps.

We had the ocean view room and I like it as the balcony was big and spacious as were the room and bath. Just the way I like it. With most resorts of this kind, if you get a room far from the lobby, it can be quite a walk, especially when you're really late for your transport out to a customer's site.

Whenever I was back in the room, I enjoyed staying there. Nice bed, good shower, enough amenities, etc. Breakfast was sufficient although there wasn't much choice like some places. All together, food was fine.

If I had a grouse, it would be the lack of public transport to go to town which was not that cheap either, but hey, one is supposed to stay at the Empire and make full use of the place and not go out, right?

I really like the fact that Wi-Fi is available and there were no issues for the duration of our stay.

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave such a lovely review on your stay at The Empire.

We are always pleased to hear that every aspect of your stay is enjoyed and I certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

We just had the opportunity to stay in this magnificent hotel for 7 or 8 days. service was generally good. the meals were mmT ok. I just can`t get used to Asian food. The atrium restaurant buffet was absolutely first class. Non buffet meals were crap. The seafood restaurant was not good at all. Our rooms were really good with ocean views on both occasions. They were in excess of $300 Australian including the Eclub. Eclub breakfast and facilities were great. Get to rub shoulders with vip`s from all over the world. The pools were good. the grounds were great for walking around. Beach is right there on the spot. Half drive from town may be a draw back for some, but shuttles and taxis are running all the time. We were not ready for the very humid hot weather in Brunei, and the constant air conditioners were a problem at night for us. We just turned them off. The hotel is a great work of art with gold every where. I think it was designed by an Australian. It is a mind blowing building just to see it. I think there is about 180 hectares in the property.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your compliments and constructive feedback, all of which is appreciated.

I regret that you did not enjoy Pantai restaurant and do please let us know your preference for continental food for your next visit and we will be pleased to make special arrangements for you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kampong Jerudong
#9 of 19 in Bandar Seri Begawan
Badi'ah Hotel
Badi'ah Hotel
#4 of 19 in Bandar Seri Begawan

Been to The Empire Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!