“Not as nice as in pictures”

Bali Mystique Hotel and Apartments
Ranked #99 of 417 Speciality Lodging in Seminyak
Cowichan Bay
“Not as nice as in pictures”
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We stayed here a week in March - in one of the small bungalows. The pictures were enticing but looked better than the reality. Location was good - a 5 minute walk to beach where you could rent a chair for the day/surf. The price was reasonable, the staff courteous, and food was good but the place needed better maintenance overall and felt a bit shabby compared to similar places we have stayed. Also there were lots of bugs - we killed 6 large centipedes, a coach roach and many mosquitoes on our bungalow. It was also noisy with load music coming from a nearby place until later. We would not stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Indonesian first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Arrived at the hotel and was assisted with my baggage. Staff were friendly and helpful. Baggage was delivered to my apartment while I checked in. Had to pay a credit card surcharge which added an extra AUD 32 to my bill. Checked my Credit Card statement for the amount charged and no issues, all correct.

APARTMENT: The apartment was awesome. Nicely laid out. It was clean and there was a lovely fresh aroma throughout which had such a relaxing quality. I asked the owner however he didnt know what they cleaning staff were using. It was like having built in aroma therapy. The bar fridge was stocked but was switched off. After switching it on it didn't take long to chill. The TV was missing from the bedroom however it was put in place that evening. The bed linen was always clean and fresh, and spotless. The bedroom was very quiet. While you could here the noise from the hotels restaurant and from the venue next door in the living area, when I was in the bedroom with the door shut it was amazingly quiet. Aircon in both bedroom and living area kept the temperature at a very comfortable, cool temperature. In fact the bedroom was quite cool at night that I was able to leave the aircon off overnight. I slept really well. The bed was quite comfortable although I would have preferred it to be a little softer. There are lamps either side of the bed and I had to figure out that they were 'touch lamps'.
There was a TV and DVD player in the living area with a large collection of off beat and a couple of mainstream DVD movies. There was an iPod Classic loaded with music attached to a dodgy, portable sound system. There were lovely paintings on the wall. The living area was very comfortable and nicely set out however a better sound system would have been good.

BATHROOM: The toilet bowl is directly opposite the shower so that the toilet (and toilet paper) gets wet when the shower is on. A little quirky but actually not that bad. The bathroom was clean and nicely set up. There was a stand for my shaver, toothbrush etc etc. Towels were always clean and fresh. Soaps and shampoo were provided, although I opted to buy my own, name brand shampoo and shower gel.

KITCHEN: The kitchen had a toaster, kettle and microwave oven with plenty of cutlery, crockery, glasses etc. There were no water bottles provided however there is a large water cooler sized water container attached to a dispenser (not a cooler). This provided water for brushing my teeth. I kept bottles of drinking water in the bar fridge.

BREAKFAST: Breakfast was included however I only had breakfast on my first morning there as it was very disappointing. Very sad actually. I recommend Biku, Grocer & Grind or even Le Bistrot for breakfast instead.

IRONING/LAUNDRY: There's no iron and ironing board in the room, nor in the hotel, however attached to the hotel there's a laundry facility. They will steam press your clothes for you. You can get your items back within an hour. A shirt or t-shirt will cost around 40 cents to be steam pressed. At first I was a little shocked at this arrangement but it was actually quite a novel set up. And it saved me the hassle of having to iron my own clothes which I loathe. :)

INTERNET: There's free internet in the restaurant and around the pool. In your bungalow/apartment you'll need to grab a logon ID and password for some third party WIFI facility that only lasts an hour before you need to get another ID and password to be able to log back in. The internet is very slow too, only 256mbps maximum speed.

POOL: Directly outside the apartment. Nice deck area and deck chairs. Pool was clean and inviting.

The only issue I really had with my apartment was the noise being made by the kids in the apartment above me from around 8am every morning. The sound comes through the ceiling. No real chance to sleep in. Very annoying and disappointing. Then on Sunday morning there were guys hammering and drilling on the wall outside my room, at the back of the hotel. Not acceptable!!!

Overall, staff could be a little friendlier, communicate a bit more and use names. I've stayed at various hotels in Bali over that last 16 years and staff have always acknowledged you right up until leaving. At Mystique the staff seemed very distant.
The breakfast needs great improvement. A welcome drink and a cold towel would be really nice touch on arrival. A chilled water dispenser in the lobby would be nice too. A 'departure' facility for those that have late flights is much needed so that you can freshen up and change prior to heading to the airport.

I highly recommend Bali Mystique as it's a perfectly central hotel in an ever expanding Seminyak. Some of the highly recommended restaurants, cafe's, warungs, bars etc etc are within walking distance. Mystique apartments are fantastic at budget hotel prices.

Room Tip: I stayed in Apartment 102 on the ground floor. While the apartment itself was awesome and the bedroo...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank NasiG
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Late check in around 7pm. Front desk staff was busy fiddling with his mobile phone. Brash and rude when asked for our passports. "Reluctantly" check us into a breakdown room. Strong urine stench, cockroaches and spider in the room. Dusty floor, leaked bathroom, dirty basins and stained bed sheet. When asked to moved, the same guy offered teh same unit upstairs as it was a bungalow. Hence the whole unit up and down is the same. Adamantly i asked for a better room or speak to the manager, he started to be defensive and could bother. Had an argument with him. Managed to changed to a smaller unit but wasn't happy at all. Since it was late i'll call it a night. The next day, spoke to the manager/owner and i was told the earlier room was indeed a breakdown room. He apologised( no sincerity) and offered to move us back to a bigger bungalow without breakfast! HEck! i booked with breakfast. After i insisted i will budge, he obliged. Overall the hotel is not well maintained with some unfriendly staffs.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Kenny T
Geelong, Australia
Reviewed 18 January 2014

Thank you to all the wonderful staff, for making me feel like part of the "Mystique family." From the moment I saw Kadek's smiling face at the airport, I felt at ease. This was my first time in Bali and I couldn't have chosen a more perfect location - close to beach, shopping, restaurants and a short trip to Ubud. I stayed in a new bungalow and loved it - so quiet. Special thanks to Puri, Nyoman (best massager ever), Kadek (safest driver in Malaysia), Di and the kitchen team for amazing food and the angels who made my bed every day. I will be back!!

Room Tip: I looked at the apartments also but happy I chose to stay in the bungalow - D106 - lovely
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank car01967
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Thanks Norman and staff for our stay!! :)

The bungalows are amazing! i was in room 103 upstairs and it had 2 double beds with mosquito nets over each bed a really cool traditional bathroom with plants inside, nice and clean... they have newly renovated the hotel so all bungalows are beautiful with large windows looking into a lovely garden

Norman runs a really nice hotel / apartments with the BEST staff! the staff are lovely! Dayu, Kadek, Ngurah and many more nice people whom we got to know well and who made the effort to get to know us - I would def go back and stay here again

Food is amazing, and a great price, the Bintang (beer) is a fair price which is great! :) breakfast is served from 8 until 11 so its really good you can sleep in! :) the are always on call for when you need a lift somewhere or a driver for the day - I really recommend Bali Mystique hotel

Room Tip: bungalow 103 upstairs was easy to get to from the reception and fairly private, the bathroom was nic...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 December 2013 via mobile

Thankyou for the best food and excellent friendly service. We stumbled across the hotel on our walk and was overwhelmed by the very relaxed setting, the food was amazing, best pasta and fish and chips. Should have stayed here and will next time as staff were more than willing to personally show us through rooms. Would highly recommend to any Aussies, ( no fear of anything on the menu)
Cheers mr Norman and staff
From mr Kevin and Von from busselton western australia :-)

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bigkav68
Melbourne
Reviewed 24 October 2013 via mobile

Mystique offers trad cottages in a garden setting. The cottages are basic and could do with a deep clean/brightening up inside. But for the price you pay it's a good option, good location, comfy beds, very friendly staff and good breakfast. It's less than 5 min walk to the beach.

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo