“Lovely property with fabulous staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Umah Watu Villas

Umah Watu Villas
Ranked #25 of 412 Speciality Lodging in Seminyak
Port Douglas, Australia
“Lovely property with fabulous staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2013

I recently spent three weeks at Taman Toya Villas. The location was perfect- not too far away from shops, restaurants and the beach. The staff were amazing and assisted me with anything I needed. The owner gave us some great advice on places to eat and what to see with small child. I would recommend this to anyone going to Bali

1 Thank Thomsons487

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Jakarta, Indonesia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2012

I visited Bali with my dad and stayed at the Taman Toya villas. We had a comfortable room with an outdoor bathroom overlooking lush green paddies, and a sunrise view, which was the best wake up call! The owner, Peter, is very friendly, and has some great suggestions for shopping, eating, etc. I like small, owner-run establishments for the personalized service, which is what we got here. The decor of the common area is so inviting and comfortable, that you could spend the entire day sitting and doing nothing! The location was a little hard to find in the middle of the night, but Peter was so helpful, available on the phone to give us directions. I loved the homey, casual, friendly atmosphere, and would love to go back there!

Kuala Lumpur
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2012

Don't let this high scale rating on Trip Advisor or Agoda website fool you. Yes, I am proud to be wearing sucker sticker on my forehead! It was a bad bad mistake, a bad bad call on deciding to book this place based on the high rating, location based on given map and it’s so called favorable review!

I am a mother with 2 daughters (age 9 & 11) who have FULLY paid through Agoda. When we attempted the check in, we were chased out from this dump of a villa, unable to check in despite the agreement of paying for 2 adults. I had found myself completely humiliated, rudely rejected, thrown out in the an alley with 2 crying children, clueless, dejected on a foreign land and completely mortified trying to make sense of what had happen to us. Peter the unsrupulous (one of the owners) called us undesirable - yes a woman and her two kids!! How can any place deny anyone from staying there after the guest, especially a mother & 2 kids who are hardly threatening and have fully paid is beyond me. He refused to agree on a refund to us, and at first, refused to give all my belongings and slammed the door in my face!!!!!

I have a feeling they don’t like women and children too much, they are not at all pleased when one of my kids started crying, so I would not recommend this place to a family with children or anyone for that matter. Seriously, avoid this place like the plague!!!

Here's my story:

I am going to be honest to say that I had book the Taman Toya Guest room meant for 2 but prior to my arrival, I had called to inform them that I might have my kids stay over ( so that is 2 adults & 2 kids), and may need extra bed, to which I was agreeable to pay extra. At that time, he told me that the room I booked was small and that I could upgrade to a bigger place, he added that he could work something out and for me to book with them directly when I get there and not through Agoda. The thing why I had book a place for 2 instead of 4 is that we were also traveling with friends and they were staying at another (ooh very very nice and accommodating, swanky and posh villa) and that I would put up my kids there with the friends & their kids and have my husband and I stay at this dump.

But when I got there to check in (without my husband, coz he was with our friends who were at the nice villa coz we had come separately), Peter sang a completely different song. He was not at all accommodating to our needs and said that he misunderstood the phone conversion. He was being difficult, sticky and just wanted to squeeze us for more money and to top it off, called us indecisive. He suggested to me that I should upgrade to a bigger room from Agoda, & didn’t care if my upfront payment was forfeited should I upgrade to the bigger room.

I wasn’t prepared to spend extra for this dump for any upgrades looking at how unaccommodating and sticky Peter was. I told him that I’d take the small room anyways, and would put up my kids with my friend. And at the time, my daughter started crying, and Peter had no time, showed no compassion for crying children. He was fussed and commented that it was a depressing start to a holiday.

Mama bear character took over me, my blood boiled in an instant. A few utterances of unsavoury words took place, as I was completely taken aback by how he handled the situation. He refused to give our refund and threw us out. I got scared, and left in a rush. After a few steps of walking out of the door and on the alley, with no cab in site, left to fend myself lugging the bags and having to pacify crying crying children, I realized I had more things that I had erroneously left behind. So I went back to get it, and he refused to let me in, slamming the door in my face. So I left without getting the other things, fearing for my life and my kids. Oh my God! What in hell had happen to us?

The reason why I booked this dump in the first place was because in the map, it showed that it was opposite C151 Residence, the place where my friends were staying at. But in actual fact, my kids and I had to walk a whole round to get to C151. This dump is not an easily accessible place. There was no short cut road access even though it showed in the map that it was on the opposite side to C151. It took us about 20 mins walk in a one lane concrete mosaic alley lugging the things, and having to get up on to a narrow sidewalk every time a car passed us.

I had to get my husband and the friend to go back to that dump to get my other things back, fortunately we got it back, and I’m still waiting for my refund to me credited into my credit card from Agoda. And it is only fair that Agoda agreed to refund back 100%. BTW, Peter told Agoda that I had come to check in for 4 adults and said that I did not abide by the booking agreement, he lied to void my refund so he can keep my 1 day deposit. This is the problem of paying upfront!

Peter, you are a liar, deceitful, obnoxious, I don’t know how you can be in the hospitality industry.

With this I have learnt my lesson of not trusting a small and not reputable place, and based on untrustworthy map and some could have been made up polished reviews!

Peter would surely try to defend himself and give whatever comments to counter this review. It is entirely up to you to judge if this place is worthwhile or not. Take my word for it, remain safe and cheerful, there are many other worthy, easily accessible and cheaper options to stay around this area.

Just don’t stay here. Avoid it like the plague. Have a happy holiday.

I had a good time staying with my friends in C151 Smart Residence, Semiyak. Perhaps I would review that too.

5 Thank snowmot99
UmahWatuBali, Owner at Umah Watu Villas, responded to this review, 24 January 2013
This guest booked our most popular, entry-level ‘Taman Toya Guest Room’. It clearly states a maximum capacity of 2 people.

• Every effort was made to provide an alternative arrangement for all 4 people

• These efforts were aggressively refused.

• Over-crowding is illegal, impacts quality of service and the comfort of our other valued guests.

• A full refund was approved immediately the difficulties emerged.

We are surprised that this fabricated review has not been moderated. We are most concerned that this false & defamatory material remains posted.
The facts of the matter, which have been reported to the police, are entirely different to the review. A detailed report of the incident was also made to the online accommodation agent.

Umah Watu Villas is completely committed to providing excellent value and high quality service on all our rooms & villas.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2012

I spent 4 nights in the guesthouse, this villa is in a great position with easy access to the beach and shops. I had the pool to myself and it was lovely swimming looking out over the rice paddie. Peter the owner is a fabulous host and I enjoyed our chats over breakfast. I booked this property through the trip advisor recommendations and wasn't disappointed. Peter is clearly passionate about the Bali and it's people. I would recommend staying here.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Bushwalker_43
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2012

We stayed for 6 nights in late October 2012 and had an amazing time. The villa is perfect. It is located so close to Seminyak Square, Eat Street and Ku de ta. It is easy to grab a blue bird taxi directly out the front (side note: with the meter on a taxi fare to Legian or Kuta is always less than $3) It is a large 2 bedroom villa with a beautiful garden and decent size (perfect temperature) swimming pool. Mick (the owner) is fantastic and prompt to deal with and was so helpful in suggesting activities especially for our wedding anniversary. The gems of this property though are Made (the driver) and Anis. Made was friendly, helpful and insightful. He organised us an amazing trip to the Bali Safari and Marine Park (and waited for us to finish) and was always early to pick us up - even the flat tyre on the way to the airport was no trouble as he was so organised and had us there perfectly on time. Miss Anis - what can I say but she is a treasure. We all loved her especially the kids. She would come in every morning and cook us a beautiful breakfast and even babysat the kids for us so we could head out the for the day for our anniversary. Lastly the entertainment system is sensational for those downtimes. Thanks again Mick, Made and Anis - we will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Tip 1 - RC Spa just on the right hand side towards Seminyak Square is fantastic and we used this a l...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2012

My partner Rob and I stayed in Taman Toya / Umah Watu villa in July 2012. It was our first trip to Bali. It was a sort of short holliday and attending family wedding. While our family stayed in a busy noisy hotel in Legian, we enjoyed the privacy and relaxing atmosphere in the villa, contemplating view over rice fields when sitting at the pool reading a book, yet to be only few minutes walking distance from Seminyak central area and the beach. Our host Peter arranged a pick up and drop off to the arirport. Made us feel very comfortable and welcomed. As first time Bali travellers we found his advice invaluable- which taxis not to get in and which restaurants to keep away ( do not dine at Ananda). We also enjoyed his company at breakfast time and his insight into Bali's life from a resident's perspective , not mentioning Annie's great coffee , fresh juices and tasty omlettes. We loved the oudoor bathroom and king size very comfy bed. We hope we can stay at Taman Toya again next time we are in Bali probably would prefer the guest house.

Iwona and Rob from Melbourne

Room Tip: Guest House is a good choice
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Iwona B
Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2012

My partner and I had a whistle stop stay in the guest house for two nights. We knew we had made the right choice from the first email by the owner, Peter. It was so easy from the booking, arranging the express valet, to settling in to our perfect getaway.
The guest room is so comfortable, has everything you require for a short stay. Lots of storage space if you are lucky enough to stay longer.
Peter is a very warm and engaging host who makes you feel so welcome and part of an extended family.. One of his may talents is surrounding himself by wonderful staff. The cooked breakfast is a perfect start to the day. Peter's wealth of knowledge for the area makes it easy to find the right restaurant / bar/ cafe /shops to enjoy yourself and surroundings.
We arranged a day trip to Ubud with the entertaining and delightful driver, Putu. A must if you have the time.
We had a late departure, to our surprise Peter gave us the use of a private villa to enable us to shower and relax after our big day out in Ubud and prior to leaving what is a very special place.
We will return, for a much longer stay.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple