“5 star location, 4 star villa at best”
Review of Casa Artista Bali

Casa Artista Bali
Ranked #29 of 113 Seminyak B&B and Inns
Englewood, New Jersey
“5 star location, 4 star villa at best”
Reviewed 23 March 2013

If you are looking for something reasonably priced close to the beach this villa is it.The woman running the desk will tell you it is a 20 minute walk to the beach but it is little more than 5 minutes to Ku de Ta. Pretty lobby and pool area but very quirky and indifferent service.this has been in marked contrast to the overwhelmingly friendly and attentive service we have received everywhere in Bali.I asked for vodka poured over ice and had to go into the bar to show her what vodka was.Bathroom had no air conditioning so you had to be sure to close the door to the room tight or the room gets hot.One bath towel and one wash cloth, that's it. no bar of soap or conditioner or roll of toilet paper. Just tissues..Water is not replenished unless you ask for it. same goes for pool towels. things that you expect to be provided when staying at a 5 star property just aren't there. this is the 3rd 5 star property we have stayed in Bali while on this trip so we have an accurate gauge.Final night had salsa dancing in the lobby with music blasting until midnight.If I didn't have to wake up at 5:00am to catch a flight it looked like fun but I think they should have alerted the guests what was to be expected.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kmkis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Reviewed 29 September 2012

One of those places you don't find easily but worth every drop of sweat finding it. Perfect place, quiet, friendly staff, very clean, luxury, comfartable and stylish rooms and a great (small) dog,
Absolutely a winner!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank AlexMeester
Buenos Aires
Reviewed 24 September 2012

During my frequent travels to Indonesia I stayed several times in Casa Artista.

Casa Artista is hidden behind other villas , a little bit difficult to find in the beginning , but once you found it , you found a real pearl. The location at the end of a private road is actually very useful as it keeps the noise from the streets away.

The rooms are very nicley decorated and quite big. The overall ambience is terrific. The staff is very friendly and helpful, they are already like family to me as I know almost everybody since years. They are sweet and helpful and shall I need a quick lift to the town someone is always helpful to give me a ride with their motorbike. The kitchen offers great home- cooking , and the portions are well sized. My favorite is the Milanese with french fries from fresh potatoes with green garden salad. I always enjoy my stay and i really can recommend to others who prefer private guesthouses before big
hotels.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 21 September 2012

The room is nicely furnished, very big and clean. Nice big balcony as well but there is no privacy as everyone's balconies are linked, which is a real shame. The biggest problem with this place is that no one knows where it is. There is a sign for the Tango Club on this street and Casa Artista in small letters, next to Villa Kresna, so best to tell drivers it's near Ku De Ta or Oberoi and then have them ask for directions once they're close by. Also the reception is VERY poorly attended. We wanted to book an activity for the next day and there was no one there to help us at 4pm. The other staff were not willing to make a phone call for us. Plus there was a problem with their phone line anyway and they just suggested we go outside and ask someone else to call for us. Overall completely overrated and overpriced. No spa on site.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank crumbs83
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 10 June 2012

After booking via Agoda and seeing some good reviews, checking the location on maps, and looking at lovely photos, I couldn't quite believe it when we walked through the door to our 'resort'. No bar or restaurant - just room service and we could eat on our terrance, a very small place - we knew it had 11 rooms or so but we thought they were a collection of villas, not just one building around a small courtyard. For 11 rooms there were just 4 sun loungers around a tiny pool that looks likes it been cut in half! Out went my day dreams of sitting by the pool, swimming, and ordering food and drink from the bar - thank god for Potato Head Beach Club!

The staff were friendly but not knowledgeable, I had to correct several ordering and pricing mistakes from them - based on their own menu! i.e. ordered Shiraz and a capoiroska and got two glasses of Rose. I went to question this and they showed me the lovely bag of rose they had poured our wine from from the fridge! We managed to track down the Shiraz (awful by the way) eventually.

Breakfast was included - all of two choices! got very boring after day two so we ate elsewhere. The cafetieres used for the morning coffee don't work - all our coffee was gritty - and its the usual crappy white sweet bread you find in every bog-standard Asian middle range hotel.

Seminyak is bigger then you think, the road is awful, so getting around is difficult. From this place everything is at least a 10 minute walk. I recommend sucking up the cash and paying for a resort on the beach front and looking for deals instead, this way you can avoid the awful roads.

Our rooms were nice enough and the TV was good - no tea or coffee in the rooms. The bathroom was large and bed comfortable (but shower often cold in the evening).Good storage for our luggage. The resort was very clean and the gardens lush.

We thought that there was beginner tango on the Monday night as per their website but when we arrived we found that it is actually Wednesdays and Fridays (we stayed Sat-Wed so no Tango for us).

Privacy is an issue - its a small place with one whole wall being your doors & windows. With the curtains open everyone can see in, but when you close the curtains the room is dark! The day curtains were attached to the night curtains which was rather silly.

Finally, from the website its as if the spa is their spa - its not and its a good 15-20 mins walk away. You just get a 10% discount. The Private Wellness Spa was lovely and they will travel to any resort within 10 minutes (scooter) of their spa to offer in-room services.

Overall I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone I know because I don't think that they would be happy with it and I wouldn't stay again.

Room Tip: If you stay here don't bother paying more for a better room.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank cds100
New York
Reviewed 3 June 2012

I've stayed here on 2 separate trips to Bali and loved it both times.

LOCATION is great, 10 min walk to the beach along a pleasant narrow road, in the best part of Seminyak.

SERVICE is very friendly and helpful without being intrusive.

ROOMS are well designed and decorated in lush colors and well light with chandelier and mood lighting. They are a bit eclectic, and not 'luxury' but still very comfortable. Beds are super comfy. Balconies all face the pool.

POOL is small but inviting with lots of tropical plants around.

FOOD is great, especially breakfast. There's a big German menu as well since the owner is German.

The owner, Stephani, has Tango dance lessons at the hotel, which are unexpected in Bali but a nice way to get to know people!

Try to get a room on the second floor...they are more private.

Room Tip: Get a room on the second floor...they are more private.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Day 1, I thought I was in heaven... The hotel is stunning and the staff friendly. I booked thru agoda and it was my own silly fault I didnt check the website. I did not expect (insert unappreciative word here) 1940s Latin music to be blaring till the wee small hours. Check the schedule if you are not into that. It is tucked away in a very quiet area (so not a place you can walk out the door and find food and entertainment easily). It IS lovely. Except for the music. I'd reccomend for older couples into tangoing the night away.

• Stayed April 2012