“FANTASTIC HOTEL AND STAFF”
Review of W Bali - Seminyak

W Bali - Seminyak
Ranked #19 of 146 Hotels in Seminyak
San Francisco, California
“FANTASTIC HOTEL AND STAFF”
Reviewed 18 April 2011

Stayed here for 5 days and didn't want to leave. Would give more than 5*s if I could. The property is BRAND NEW. Great pool area, great lobby / bar area. The staff go out of there way to make sure you are completely satisfied, every little detail is attended to.

The only vacation spot / hotel I would return to for a second trip.

Room Tip: Ocean View
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (842)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 17 April 2011

I had a very good experience with with Starwood hotel and this is the 1st time I check in W Retreat Bali wth my wife and we were on our honeymoon. The hotel was great, the staff was so friendly and helpfull, I can only use trendy to describe the whole hotel...breakfast was great and the whole hotel enviroment was fantastic.... we check in to their 1bedroom villa and there is nothing to say than their services, absolutely awesome!!!! I will definately go back to W Bali again for my next trip.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2011

Dates: we were in the w retreat for 3 nights end of march/ start of april we left on 2rd april.

We had spent the previous week and a half travelling around singapore/malaysia/cambodia so this was our big splurge / relaxing part of the holiday and we looking forward to a being spoilt!
I have a one line summary and break down review:
in a nutshell - Amazing hotel - I would definitely recommend for families, older couples but if you are on your honeymoon you may want something a little less commercial...private.

For the break down - I'm splitting the review into two parts - The Good and The Bad
The Good!!!
We arrived and have to admit we were definitely wowed by the welcome the entrance to the hotel is beautifully set out, the welcome was lovely and we got a good overview of facilities/ services available at the hotel. We had an ocean view room, I loved the bathroom the bed, entertainment system - everything! We definitely felt like we were in for a good time!

We pretty much used every part of the hotel......

Restaurants - Fire and Star Fish Bloo - both amazing, lots of choice, all fresh, inventive, familiar and unique dishes. Hats off to the chefs - they really delivered the goods (highly recommend star fish bloo - starter - the hot stone lamb - you cook it yourself at the table! and main - foie gras and black cod).
Fire is a more european/western restaurant (gourmet burgers/ wood oven pizza/ nice desserts :)) with a couple of asian dishes thrown in. Star Fish Bloo in more asian/ Japanese/ French/Aussie?!
Also BREAKFAST - you have to check this out - its AMAZING!!!!! We literally tried everything on the menu the 3 or 4 mornings we were there - we went everyday and loved it - and they have everything from asian to continental to full fry ups and fresh fruits, yogurts, its a buffet with a la carte options available - pancakes, eggs benefits, amazing fresh juices - everything! Its really cool, they have waiters come round with little samples o dishes they have on the a la carte so if you love it you can order or at the very least you get a little taste of something you might not have ordered normally.
Family friendly too - kids meals and I saw loads of familys there.

The pool
Amazing! I loved it they have varied spaces where you can lounge around in the sun which I liked alot. Pool side service of course and a pool to go for a dip.
Oh and watch out for the evening show!!! Everything 6/6.30pm they have this fire/ come lion king show. They have performers come out from guys dressed up as animals like lions/ giraffes etc to fire jugglers and dancers. Nice to see as the sun is going down.

Internet service/ library
We had free wifi and a library which was handy for anyone wanting to skype home or for the workaholics needing to check in at the office.

SPA
I LOVED IT! My boyfriend and I went for a little spa treat. I had the goddess glow - amazing! It was a scrub/wrap/massage and a facial which after 2 weeks in the sun made me look AMAZING!!! My tan looked HOT! It literally looked like my skin was gold - If I get married - I want one of those before the wedding day! :)
My boyfriend had well heal massage which he loved - and a hair cut - probably the best cut hes had in the last 5 years and he is a man that is precious about his mane (or lack of!) and they did a great job.

Bars
I loved the bar in the reception area, and woo bar - we were there for the opening which was cool - a lot of hippy rich looking locals turned up which was fun to watch lol......good cocktails, a lot of variety and reasonably priced. Music was mainly House

Bad
Check in time is 3pm which is silly, if people are arriving on morning flights a hotel of this standard should not expect them to wait around 4 hours to get into their room! Really! This needs sorting out.

Staff
The staff are good people and try really hard but....
I think some may need a bit more training! I think its just something you will have to get used to but it was a extreme of over care to kind of having to ask for something 4 or 5 times or just not getting it at all.
Sorry! Hate to say it!! And it is lovely when somebody comes round to check your meal is ok, you're enjoying yourself but 8 times!!! Really!??? And they all ask the same questions! Give your diners a little privacy....Also the staff had a tendency to come up and ask if you would like another drink/ any help and you say yes - it would be great if they go back to you without having to ask a further 3 or 4 times, you have to follow up on requests.

WhateverWhenever - Um - Well almost/ not quite!!!!!!!!
Ok, so.....we tested this theory.....so it was the cricket world cup FINAL while we were out in bali India against Sri Lanka and being indian we really wanted to watch the match - we NEEDED to see this match - its like missing the footy world cup final and its england vs brazil!
We went to the desk and asked for them if we could watch it in our room - no, anywhere in the hotel no - so then we went to check local bars. The girl the desk went to check and found us a bar - great - NOOOOO - she got it WRONG - we double/triple checked and found out the match was not being played. We asked them again to find somewhere - the next day came back and Nowhere in the whole of indonesia was showing the match.
So we then had to wheneverwhatever ourselves. WE asked them to get us a tv and sort it out so we could stream the match live over the internet - they couldnt even do this - we ended up with a laptop and no cables to connect to the tv in our room so we had to watch it on the bloody 15' laptop screen.
Ok so this is an extreme request and in my eyes they failed....others may disagree. But other simpler requests were also not possible - we asked for match snacks - samosas and nachos - they couldn't do it!!! Ok even samosas might be difficult but nachos! NACHOS! HOW CAN YOU NOT BE ABLE TO DO NACHOS!????
Based on this I conclude - whateverwhenever is rubbish and doesn't work properly.

Clinic
On my first day there, I had a slightly dodgy stomach, I asked it they could get me some tablets for an upset stomach. Staff informed me they could do better! They had an onsite doctors clinic! Wow wonderful. It wasn't serious, I was being overly cautious, I didn't want to get worse while I was in bali. I went in to see the doc, I was literally there for 2 minutes. She sorted me out with the right medication which I was really grateful for.
What I didn't appreciate was the 75 dollar standard fee for seeing the doc + money for meds (fair enough). For literally two minutes with a doctor to give me some diarrhea tablets I was being charged 75dollars.
I duly complained to the hotel manager and they refunded me. I do not mind paying for fair service, to have a good time or if I really needed help but I just felt a bit ripped off and it put a bit of a dampener on things.

Money money money.......
I have to say, they might have free juices available in receptions anytime but you will pay pay pay!!! for Everything else.......show them the $£$£$£$££££$£$!!!!!!!!!!

Cheque please!!
One thing I didn't like and may need some fine tuning is as soon as you have ordered a drink/ bought something/ enjoyed a spa treatment - you all too swiftly presented with the cheque - before you have even asked for it. Its like they think you re going to run away in the middle of the night or something!
Really STOP IT!! Or just be a bit more discreet or something....

SO thats our review, we loved our time there, I wouldn't go back myself but would recommend to others with a family or couples (not honeymooners), maybe not if you want to party hard! not that kind of place.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Amber2781
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 15 April 2011

The hotel is beautiful. Interesting design, large comfortable rooms with all cool amenities. I think that the rooms will date quickly. There is construction noise still as the hotel is not complete. When we asked to move after being woken by it we were moved to a room in which the only noise heard was the sea. I could stay in that room forever. There don't appear to be no smoking rooms but I think that this is not unusual in Bali. After a couple of days with the balcony doors open for some of the time the smell faded. Would recommend paying the extra for an ocean view room. Wonderful pool. Friendly staff as always in Bali. Only ate at the hotel once as there are too many options elsewhere but what we had was good.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank further40
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 13 April 2011

We just came back from our 5 nights stay in W bali. It is our second trip to Bali this year, previously we stayed in Samaya Ubud and had a wonderful experience. We booked 3 nights stay in their retreat room and 2 nights stay in their newly opened 1 bedroom private villa. This turned out to be the most correct decision as it gave us the opportunity to experience both and make a comparison.

The good:
- This trip was to celebrate my wife’s birthday and we requested for a room with nice view in advance. We were upgraded to Ocean Facing Retreat upon check in, which had a beautiful view of the pool and the ocean. We never expected the retreat to be so close to the beach, it was quite stunning when we watched the strong waves from our balcony. When my wife ordered for room service after we settled down after the check in process, they sent my wife a birthday cake together with the food she ordered. And the chocolate cake was so yummy, it is one of the best we ever had. There was a birthday greeting card hand written by Irma. My wife still keeps the card although we never met Irma in person during our stay. We appreciate this arrangements made by W and its talents.
- The ocean facing retreat is well designed with good facilities as a lot of previous reviews had already mentioned. There are some fine details too, like the heart shape reflection on the skylight bathroom wall and if you take a close look of the toilet wall, you will find a cupid love arrows on it, cute!
- The pool side talents will bring small sized drinks from the Fire restaurant for you to sample while you laze by the pool, which is nice and generous.
- The DVD is free for hotel guests to rent.
- We went to the Woo bar one night. We are not party animals and we don’t drink alcohol. We went there just to experience it. We chose one of its sofa bed which is closed to the beach. The ambience was simply amazing. We lay down there, listening to the waves and watching the stars above, while our son busy tracing those airplanes taking off/landing from/to airport. It was an experience not to be forgotten.
- The villa facilities are top notch, full size Bliss products, Bose audio systems at the villa and the terrace, and the huge inviting bathtub.

The not so good:
- Villa
On day 4, we transferred from our ocean facing retreat to our one bedroom villa. We were told the villa would only be ready for check in at 3pm, the standard check-in time, so no problem. At 2.30pm, we received a call to notify us they need another hour to clean the villa. So we went out for lunch, and told the Whatever/Whenever team our luggages were already packed in our room, once the villa was ready they could just send the luggages to our villa first. When we returned at 5pm, we were told our villa was just ready. And nobody was sure where our luggages were. It took us more than half an hour and a few calls to locate our luggages and get them delivered to our villa.

The villas generally provide less privacy due to their close proximity. They are literally next to, or back to back, to each other, separated by thin and short walls. For some villas, this privacy issue are worse than others. Our first villa (no. 39) is very close to the main building (about 20 meters) and facing the main building. So those people walking by the 4th or 5th floor of the main building can just take a clear look of our villa, right at the bed. We had to keep the blinds down all the time while we were inside the villa, to avoid becoming the leading roles in “The Truman Show”. This defeats the purposes of staying in a villa and defeats the design of their full length glass wall. After all, most people choose to stay in a villa because of privacy and exclusivity, right? So, if privacy is an issue for you, remember to request a villa further away from the main building and east facing. Actually, this issue can be addressed by building the surrounding walls taller or adding some plantations on top of the current walls, well, leave this to the management and their brilliant architects who had made the main building so chic and beautiful.

After we requested for a change of villa the next day, we were assigned villa no. 3 and when we inspected the villa, we found the bathtub was leaking. So Isa, the talent who helped us to transfer immediately called their technician to fix it. The two technicians took more than one hour to do it and just when they were about to finish, we found the Bose DVD player was not set to the correct region code and the DVDs we got from the hotel couldn’t be played. It took the technicians another 30 mins to solve the problem. All in all, it took us 3 hours to shift villa and finally settled down. However, not only the talent, but also the technicians were very apologetic.

- The daily newsletter
As previous reviewer mentioned, we too, missed the daily newsletter/activities list. It was only given on our arrival day. On day 3, my wife requested for a copy to be sent to us on daily basis so that we could know what are the happenings. We were told the request was put into their system, but the newsletter never came. Our 2.5 years old toddler didn’t participate in any activities during our stay as we didn’t know what are the available kids’ activities. He did enjoy playing in the main pool though.

- The dining experience
We had all of meals except one lunch in W Bali, a few room services, dinner in Starfish Bloo, Breakfast and lunch in Fire, Sunday Brunch in Starfish Bloo. We enjoyed the food in Fire more than Starfish Bloo. There is an egg station in their buffet breakfast; however, there was no list of what they make there. On our first day there, my wife asked what they had there and were told they make eggs (scrambled or fried), and Egg Bennies, full stop. On day 2, we tried to ask for waffles, and yes, they did make it too. One day 3, we figured out they actually make pancakes too. And FYI, their waffles and pancakes are very delicious and well presented. We just wish we had known it from day 1. Throughout our stay, we were never told that there is an à la carte menu for the included breakfast too and we were never given that menu. So we simply didn’t know there was such an option until we read one of the latest reviews just now.

We didn’t find the Sunday brunch at Starfish Bloo very attractive although it is highly recommend by some previous reviewers, maybe we are not sushi person and we don’t drink wine. This is very subjective. And as a vegetarian, I actually feel the selection was quite limited.

- The coordination between talents
We felt this needs to be improved. There were several occasions that we needed to repeat our requests a few times to different talents to get it done. It was like our requests were lost in transit, they were deleted or wrongly communicated somewhere in the process chain. However, this is a new hotel anyway, so we think it is normal and will improve as time goes by.

There are other minor hiccups, but since we bear in mind the hotel is only in operation for one month plus, it didn’t bother us much.

The determining factor

Now comes to the determining factor. After our perfect stay in ocean facing retreat and not so perfect stay in villa, how will we judge our stay in W Bali this time? This was ultimately decided upon the attitude of the staff. All of the talents we met during our stay were very friendly and helpful, I won’t say their service was excellent because there were hiccups, but their service attitudes are definitely great. Among all, there are some who provided exemplary services.
- Upon departure, Franklyn, the welcome relations manager, helped us to do check out. When he asked us how our stay in villa was, we took it as a casual question and as a way of saying hi or hello. But after we briefly told him our little disappointments, he immediately offered us some solutions to make up for our inconvenience. It is his fast reaction and his problem solving skill that impressed us and made us feel our feedbacks and opinions were truly listened and valued. When we mention we emailed the hotel for a child seat to be put in the car for airport pick up and called again to double confirm on the day of our arrival, but it was not there, he immediately asked someone to place a child seat on the car although we didn’t put prior request this time. This again shows he was really listening and he was able to address guests’ concerns quickly. This is very impressive! Thumbs up, Franklyn.

- Our son likes to play their bathroom toy, the little frogs. When I asked whether we can buy a new set home, Solikin, the welcome relations manager, told us he would prepare one set as a gift to our son. And upon checked out, we were given the little gift, nicely wrapped. No need to say how happy our son is. When we requested for late checkout as our flight is in the evening and our toddler needs an afternoon nap, our request was granted by him too, and this happened even before the delay in our check in to the villa. Very accommodating and understanding man.

- Isa, from welcome team, who helped us to transfer from villa 39 to villa 3, was very patient and friendly. When the DVD player was not working and the technicians had not figured out a solution, he volunteered to get the DVD player from our previous villa. We never saw him frowned once. When we asked for extra shaver, he gave us a follow up call to make sure we had receive it.

- Agung, who is from Starfish Bloo was very attentive. When it was about to rain, he helped us to move quickly inside and he always asked whether we needed anything else and always with a nice smile.

These are the people who made us feel we are so welcomed and made us ignore those hiccups and still enjoyed our stay there. There are the people who made us add the final star on our ratings without further hesitations. After all, hardware can be easily built and imitated; it is the software, the people, who can make the difference.

Will we return? Sure! We hope to stay in their ocean facing retreat again soon! And in their villas once they sort out the privacy issue.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank JandKFamily
Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed 10 April 2011

I stayed at Bali W Retreat & Spa for 3nights from 1st Apr ~ 4th Apr 2011.

At first it wasn't easy to decide to reserve W
because it was just impossible to find any review on W Bali
since it's newly opened hotel.
But I just trusted the brand 'W' and booked 3 nights at
One Bed Room Pool Villa.

Some parts of the hotel is still under construction
meaning that it's not fully opened yet.
Though pool areas, dining areas, woo bar are open and
no inconveniences using the facilities.

<good side>
1. Very nice interior
I really liked the ambience of the W hotel.
If you are looking for hotel with more Balinese style,
'W' would not suit you.
But if you want modern hip stylish hotel 'W' would be your perfect choice.
Lobby, swimming pool, rooms you will notice that they put
a lot of effort in every detail of the interior.

2. Very New and clean.
Since it opened last month on 1st March 2011,
everything is so new and clean.
Rooms are nicely organized, all the facilities are intact
very pleasant experience.

3. Nice location.
There are good hotels with nice views in Jimbaran area
overlooking the Uluwatu cliff.
'W' doesn't have the great VIEW from the villa
(Ocean view room had nice view though)
But instead of the nice view 'W' has good location.
'W' is in Seminyak area which is great location
to move around and dine.
There are nice bar 'Ku de Tah' very close to the W hotel
and Seminyak Square and great restaurants
just 5 min away from the hotel.
Location is very very important in Bali
because traffic jam is very very heavy and
takes forever to move around.
But W Retreat and Spa is easier to move around
to Seminyak and Kuta area.
So if you are not planning to stay just inside the hotel
W will be a great choice.

4. Kind staff
Staffs were kind and trying to please at the lobby.
There were some inconvenience experience with
few staffs at W because they were slow and not responding.

We had to move the villa once because of
bathroom problem so we requested for the move
but it took so long getting back to us.
But after all they were willing to make up for
inconveniences aroused by slow reaction.
Except for that staffs were smiling all the time
greeting us asking us how we are enjoying Bali
giving us travel feedbacks.

5. Dynamic
I will say W is perfect fit for all ages.
You can enjoy quiet relaxing vacation at the Villa
with privacy and nice music flowing out.
But for young people I bet they'll enjoy Woo Bar
Especially on weekends Woo Bar plays
great music lots of young people visiting to have fun
and party.

6. Love Bliss amenities.
As many of you might know 'W' hotel chains
use Bliss spa products for bathroom amenities.
I really enjoyed using Bliss products.

<bad sides>
**Serious Bathroom Problem.
This was the only reason I took points
off the rating of W.
This wasn't just a minor problem.

First, on our second day of stay
the entire villa had no water supply for hours.
we received a letter from the management that
they are sorry about inconvenience caused by
water shortage due to water pressure problem.
So we had to go to the spa facility to take a shower.
This was understandable considering
it was newly opened property and still making adjustments.
But this wasn't all.

Second, on the third day of stay at W
there was water leakage in the bathroom floor.
Due to heavy rain, rain leaked inside the villa
and made water flood on the bathroom floor.
Engineering crew were coming in and out of the room
trying to fix the problem all morning.
But they couldn't fix it after all and concierge told us
that we will get moved to a new room.
But had to wait hours for another villa to be vacated.
And still no water supply because they locked
all the water supply pipe in our villa because of
the water leakage.
I got so frustrated not being able to wash in my own room.
After waiting for hours we were finally moved to a new villa.
Here, water was finally available.
(But they moved us to a villa with smaller swimming pool
than our previous villa. kinda disappointment.
Expected an upgrade, but rather got a room with smaller swimming pool)
Yet new villa still had problem with bathroom.

Third, our new villa's toilette wouldn't flush!
I was just to exhausted to complain this time
so just used the bathroom by the lobby area.

It would have been wonderful stay at W
if it hadn't been for the bathroom issues.
No water supply, rain water flood, toilette not flushing.
continuous problems with the bathroom.

Though the management was willing to
offer us courtesy treats after hearing our problems.
So I was pleased with the hotel's efforts
to make up for any inconveniences caused by the bathroom.
Very supportive.

I hope they fix the bathroom problems asap
and stablize the building maintenance.

I would highly recommend W to the ones who are
planning a trip to Bali.
But still I guess it will take some time for
everything to settle down since it's still baby hotel.

for more pics check out my posting

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 9 April 2011

We feel obliged to revise our original review of the W Retreat at Seminyak and raise our rating after Management responded quickly to our concerns raised in the last review, addressed them with more than generous offers to counter any previous inconvenience, and showed us 5-star level attitude that will bring much promise to this resort.

The W Retreat has been open for a month so far and appears to be a upmarket, luxury Club Med, complete with Cirque de Soleil style pool-side performances every evening, which we loved, daily activities, and a wonderful afternoon "T party". Its sprawling and chic facilities include a very well equipped gym, funky and upscale 24-Hour spa, 3-story hip club, beautiful architecture (stylish is the word that comes to mind when describing the decor), a load of great sit-out-and-chill areas such as the lobby (with great coffee books, free chilled mocktail), the library (quiet, well stocked, coffee corner, cosy seating). The restaurants serve excellent food at reasonable prices. The staff is warm and friendly mostly, and eager to please.

Here are the things we expect will improve over the coming months to make this a very competitive resort at Seminyak:

1) As mentioned in our previous review, some of the villas may not be ready for occupancy. Our first villa had no hot-water, and the staff didn't seem equipped to respond to our request to fix it or change villa for quite a few hours, resulting in us going to bed at midnight upon arrival the first night. When we were checking out, we overheard another guest raising the same issue, saying no one had come to fix his hot water the night before. The resort will probably have to quality-check each of its villas fully (the heating, water pressure, air conditioners especially), or mark out the villas that have already been highlighted by guests as having defects.

2) The activity list- the resort has great activities such as yoga, aerobics, kids' volcano making.... however, the Daily List was not made available until the 3rd day (of 5) of our stay. We expect it will be made available everyday because there was no way to find out what was available to do without that list. The first we spent was a Sunday, which is Kids' Brunch Day where they host a lot of activities for children. However, the Spa person told us Kids' Brunch had already happened on Saturday and my child missed a highly anticipated range of activities as a result.

Here are some things that may not be so easily changed but people considering this versus another resort might want to be aware of:

1) There is no view from the villas, and less privacy than in other resorts. The villas are built in a grid-form, rows and rows of villas separated by a very narrow path, looking into each others' roofs. We could hear our neighbors, and they could hear us (especially our shrieking child in the pool).

2) If it rains, one would have to call a buggy because some of the villas are a long winding walk away from the main lobby. This takes about 15 minutes to arrive....which is OK, but the ride is highly uncomfortable (especially for me- I am 4 months pregnant). The rocky path made for a very bumpy ride. This also goes for the entrance way driveway. We are still puzzling over the choice of material for the path.

All in we truly enjoyed ourselves and appreciate the effort the W has made to make this beautiful place for us to enjoy.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family