“first impression, bad...”

Ranked #22 of 144 Hotels in Seminyak
Bali, Indonesia
“first impression, bad...”
Reviewed 22 April 2011

i would never pay any visit to any W if the friends were not staying at villa there...
had a good time for afternoon drink @ woobar and then after went dinner @ starfish bloo, where the night start ruined by small details like one of the waitress was rude.. very opposite than the bar ..
no indonesian at all on the menu, just korean/japanese style.. halo i'm in Bali, starwood !! food was ok not over the top..
the hotel design some are nice and daring but some are bit awkward.. all mostly are plastics..
and the villa where our friends are staying has no sea-view... while the price is more expensive than regular hotel room with view to the sea..while they look for quietness but they got all the noises from hotel construction.
no walking path from parking lot to the lobby ..

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
CraigSeaward, General Manager at W Bali - Seminyak, responded to this review, 25 April 2011
Dear Rizferd,

Many thanks indeed for your review, it’s very much appreciated as management don’t always get to see the side of the customer experience, and that keeps us honest and we appreciate your eyes on the ground and your feedback.

Sorry to hear that the talent was rude to you in Satfish Bloo and it looks like we need to go back into training in this area and ensure that our customer interactions are improved.

I have taken your comments on board about the villas and the design and these are valuable feedback, but I hope that these issues won’t deter you from returning to the W Retreat and Spa in the near future.

Best personal regards

Craig Seaward

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (810)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sydney
Reviewed 22 April 2011

I cannot say enough great things about our recent stay at the W Hotel in Bali. Firstly I must say a huge Thank You to all the Talent who made our stay so enjoyable and in particular to Kristanti Tannady, director of residental services, who was so very kind, helpful, thoughtful and generous and also to Kamal, a chef in Fire, who created the most delicious pizza ever and for the sumptious dessert that followed. Ok, enough of the Oscar speech and down to the W facts:

Where to start...

Location and Food
The location is great. It feels secluded but is within walking distance/short taxi rides to the top restaurants and funky bars in Seyminyak. My recommends would be Ku De Ta for lunch or early evening meal (2 for 1 pizza Mon-Thurs) looking out over the beach; Metis for a top notch dinner with amazing views over lilly ponds and paddy fields; Warisan Art Gallery and Cafe for an amazing lunch and the best fruit juice. All within a 1$ cab fare ride away. But you need not go any further than the hotel's own restaurants. We ate delicious food in Fire both at breakfast, lunch and dinner. Great menu and the chefs are happy to accomodate any desire. My "best pizza ever" comprised lobster, black truffle, artichoke, mushrooms, basil, and prawns, which I created myself from the ingredients on the menu and this was no problem. I always say a great chef can cook up anything you want and do so with a smile and Kamal certainly aimed to please. Great kids menu too which was excellent value and great for ordering in to the villa to eat beside the pool.

A little more on the breakfast; loved the individual mug concept, which made one feel very at home and thought that the service of the various buffet treats to the table was a great idea and allowed one to enjoy eating the breakfast instead of having to constantly go to and from the buffet. Excellent service again.

Afternoon tea is a little different too with the most enormous slice of cake and candies to accompany. If you want your eyes to bulge then it's a must.

Resort
The decor of the resort is WOW at every turn. The colours, sounds and smells are a sensory treat and even the ornamental peddle car was taken for a spin down the corridor by my 4 year old and 16 month old. Loved the complimentary juice in the lounge area and villa reception. The Business centre, Wired, served a great coffee too. The purple and sometimes pink thread (once you've visited you'll understand my reference to these colours, which are beautifully decorating the hotel) that seems to bind this place is the Talent who deserve their title as these staff are indeed talented in providing a genuinely warm service, which makes one feel like a valued guest and even the various doormen at the reception area would welcome us back by our names after a day's adventure.

The golf buggy was a handy service to and from the hotel to the main road. There's a great deli for pastries and nibbles at the entrance.

Entertainmment
I must not forget to mention the vibrant sunset show every evening which as mentioned somewhere previously is reminiscent of a cirque du soleil performance - spectacular (I'll include some photos). It's a modern quirky alternative to tradional Balinese dancing which can be found at various places around the island (Grand Hyatt does a good dinner and show on a Saturday night). It's W style entertainment which was great and the kids loved it.

There's a very funky bar called the Woo Bar which played great music and had amazing decor. We had a dance with our 4 year old one late night and a hot chocolate - how times change with children!!! Anyway, for those without, very cool place to hang out and party and we noticed a very intriguing drink called "Eye Candy" which was topped with candy floss.

The Villa
Fantastic villa with its own pool. The kids loved it. I loved watching them from the daybed. Loved the wall of orchids. Just be aware that the 1 bed villa does not have a separate bedroom, it's more of a suite. My 4 year old slept very comfortably on the sofa bed and my infant had a cot next to the bed with mobile included. Again it's the little things that make you feel at home. The bedding arrangements worked fine for us but once the kids are asleep you have to chat outside on the daybed, which is a treat anyway.

I could ramble on and on about the Wonderful W but suffice to say, we loved it and will be back very soon for another stay/experience. We are converts and would now be looking to stay in one Wherever in the world. I have caught their marketing bug. W is certainly for WOW! I'll leave some blank space for you to do your own exploring.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank ResaSydney
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 22 April 2011

This hotel is very "chic", funky & uber cool!!
The staff are extremely polite & definitely go out of there way to please.
Our experience here was overall very enjoyable.
We loved our ocean facing room, until it was sleep time, from 12am to 3am
the woo bar's thumping house music drove us nuts!!!! (this apparently is a nightly fixture)!
The staff handled the situation very well & we were moved to a villa for the remainder of our stay.
The villa rooms are just as stunning with a gorgeous private pool and very cool cabana!!
(a couple of issues here, the air con is very noisy, & if you want to sleep in complete
darkness you have to take your key out which means the air con is turned off,
the neighboring villa's are very close & with speakers outside you can hear each others music).
Although Overall the resort still has more positives eg. like the most magnificent breakfast, stunning pools & great restaurants, fabulous library, state of the art health spa, very yummy shisha pipes at woo bar!!!
And I thought the staff certainly tried there hardest to fulfill there motto of "whatever/whenever".

Note: If you like to spoil yourselves - st Regis hotel for Sunday brunch is just amazing!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Book Ocean facing furtherest end from woo bar.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 18 April 2011

Stayed here for 5 days and didn't want to leave. Would give more than 5*s if I could. The property is BRAND NEW. Great pool area, great lobby / bar area. The staff go out of there way to make sure you are completely satisfied, every little detail is attended to.

The only vacation spot / hotel I would return to for a second trip.

Room Tip: Ocean View
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 17 April 2011

I had a very good experience with with Starwood hotel and this is the 1st time I check in W Retreat Bali wth my wife and we were on our honeymoon. The hotel was great, the staff was so friendly and helpfull, I can only use trendy to describe the whole hotel...breakfast was great and the whole hotel enviroment was fantastic.... we check in to their 1bedroom villa and there is nothing to say than their services, absolutely awesome!!!! I will definately go back to W Bali again for my next trip.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2011

Dates: we were in the w retreat for 3 nights end of march/ start of april we left on 2rd april.

We had spent the previous week and a half travelling around singapore/malaysia/cambodia so this was our big splurge / relaxing part of the holiday and we looking forward to a being spoilt!
I have a one line summary and break down review:
in a nutshell - Amazing hotel - I would definitely recommend for families, older couples but if you are on your honeymoon you may want something a little less commercial...private.

For the break down - I'm splitting the review into two parts - The Good and The Bad
The Good!!!
We arrived and have to admit we were definitely wowed by the welcome the entrance to the hotel is beautifully set out, the welcome was lovely and we got a good overview of facilities/ services available at the hotel. We had an ocean view room, I loved the bathroom the bed, entertainment system - everything! We definitely felt like we were in for a good time!

We pretty much used every part of the hotel......

Restaurants - Fire and Star Fish Bloo - both amazing, lots of choice, all fresh, inventive, familiar and unique dishes. Hats off to the chefs - they really delivered the goods (highly recommend star fish bloo - starter - the hot stone lamb - you cook it yourself at the table! and main - foie gras and black cod).
Fire is a more european/western restaurant (gourmet burgers/ wood oven pizza/ nice desserts :)) with a couple of asian dishes thrown in. Star Fish Bloo in more asian/ Japanese/ French/Aussie?!
Also BREAKFAST - you have to check this out - its AMAZING!!!!! We literally tried everything on the menu the 3 or 4 mornings we were there - we went everyday and loved it - and they have everything from asian to continental to full fry ups and fresh fruits, yogurts, its a buffet with a la carte options available - pancakes, eggs benefits, amazing fresh juices - everything! Its really cool, they have waiters come round with little samples o dishes they have on the a la carte so if you love it you can order or at the very least you get a little taste of something you might not have ordered normally.
Family friendly too - kids meals and I saw loads of familys there.

The pool
Amazing! I loved it they have varied spaces where you can lounge around in the sun which I liked alot. Pool side service of course and a pool to go for a dip.
Oh and watch out for the evening show!!! Everything 6/6.30pm they have this fire/ come lion king show. They have performers come out from guys dressed up as animals like lions/ giraffes etc to fire jugglers and dancers. Nice to see as the sun is going down.

Internet service/ library
We had free wifi and a library which was handy for anyone wanting to skype home or for the workaholics needing to check in at the office.

SPA
I LOVED IT! My boyfriend and I went for a little spa treat. I had the goddess glow - amazing! It was a scrub/wrap/massage and a facial which after 2 weeks in the sun made me look AMAZING!!! My tan looked HOT! It literally looked like my skin was gold - If I get married - I want one of those before the wedding day! :)
My boyfriend had well heal massage which he loved - and a hair cut - probably the best cut hes had in the last 5 years and he is a man that is precious about his mane (or lack of!) and they did a great job.

Bars
I loved the bar in the reception area, and woo bar - we were there for the opening which was cool - a lot of hippy rich looking locals turned up which was fun to watch lol......good cocktails, a lot of variety and reasonably priced. Music was mainly House

Bad
Check in time is 3pm which is silly, if people are arriving on morning flights a hotel of this standard should not expect them to wait around 4 hours to get into their room! Really! This needs sorting out.

Staff
The staff are good people and try really hard but....
I think some may need a bit more training! I think its just something you will have to get used to but it was a extreme of over care to kind of having to ask for something 4 or 5 times or just not getting it at all.
Sorry! Hate to say it!! And it is lovely when somebody comes round to check your meal is ok, you're enjoying yourself but 8 times!!! Really!??? And they all ask the same questions! Give your diners a little privacy....Also the staff had a tendency to come up and ask if you would like another drink/ any help and you say yes - it would be great if they go back to you without having to ask a further 3 or 4 times, you have to follow up on requests.

WhateverWhenever - Um - Well almost/ not quite!!!!!!!!
Ok, so.....we tested this theory.....so it was the cricket world cup FINAL while we were out in bali India against Sri Lanka and being indian we really wanted to watch the match - we NEEDED to see this match - its like missing the footy world cup final and its england vs brazil!
We went to the desk and asked for them if we could watch it in our room - no, anywhere in the hotel no - so then we went to check local bars. The girl the desk went to check and found us a bar - great - NOOOOO - she got it WRONG - we double/triple checked and found out the match was not being played. We asked them again to find somewhere - the next day came back and Nowhere in the whole of indonesia was showing the match.
So we then had to wheneverwhatever ourselves. WE asked them to get us a tv and sort it out so we could stream the match live over the internet - they couldnt even do this - we ended up with a laptop and no cables to connect to the tv in our room so we had to watch it on the bloody 15' laptop screen.
Ok so this is an extreme request and in my eyes they failed....others may disagree. But other simpler requests were also not possible - we asked for match snacks - samosas and nachos - they couldn't do it!!! Ok even samosas might be difficult but nachos! NACHOS! HOW CAN YOU NOT BE ABLE TO DO NACHOS!????
Based on this I conclude - whateverwhenever is rubbish and doesn't work properly.

Clinic
On my first day there, I had a slightly dodgy stomach, I asked it they could get me some tablets for an upset stomach. Staff informed me they could do better! They had an onsite doctors clinic! Wow wonderful. It wasn't serious, I was being overly cautious, I didn't want to get worse while I was in bali. I went in to see the doc, I was literally there for 2 minutes. She sorted me out with the right medication which I was really grateful for.
What I didn't appreciate was the 75 dollar standard fee for seeing the doc + money for meds (fair enough). For literally two minutes with a doctor to give me some diarrhea tablets I was being charged 75dollars.
I duly complained to the hotel manager and they refunded me. I do not mind paying for fair service, to have a good time or if I really needed help but I just felt a bit ripped off and it put a bit of a dampener on things.

Money money money.......
I have to say, they might have free juices available in receptions anytime but you will pay pay pay!!! for Everything else.......show them the $£$£$£$££££$£$!!!!!!!!!!

Cheque please!!
One thing I didn't like and may need some fine tuning is as soon as you have ordered a drink/ bought something/ enjoyed a spa treatment - you all too swiftly presented with the cheque - before you have even asked for it. Its like they think you re going to run away in the middle of the night or something!
Really STOP IT!! Or just be a bit more discreet or something....

SO thats our review, we loved our time there, I wouldn't go back myself but would recommend to others with a family or couples (not honeymooners), maybe not if you want to party hard! not that kind of place.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Amber2781
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 15 April 2011

The hotel is beautiful. Interesting design, large comfortable rooms with all cool amenities. I think that the rooms will date quickly. There is construction noise still as the hotel is not complete. When we asked to move after being woken by it we were moved to a room in which the only noise heard was the sea. I could stay in that room forever. There don't appear to be no smoking rooms but I think that this is not unusual in Bali. After a couple of days with the balcony doors open for some of the time the smell faded. Would recommend paying the extra for an ocean view room. Wonderful pool. Friendly staff as always in Bali. Only ate at the hotel once as there are too many options elsewhere but what we had was good.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple