“Top hotel”
Review of W Bali - Seminyak

W Bali - Seminyak
Ranked #20 of 147 Hotels in Seminyak
Reviewed 28 April 2011

I am actually still sitting in my room looking around and I am still amazed at all the gadgets, beautiful use of materials and high end luxury products. I do not wanna leave in just a few hours!

The rooms are very spacious and can be considered as being one of the best I have ever slept in. The enormous bed is simply to die for, with very comfortable pillows. From mini-bar till the shower and bath tub everything is done in a beautiful very modern way. Good selection of in room dining possibilities which I used for dinner once and for breakfast, both times they were fast and the food was of a high quality.

Service at reception area is very focused on satisfying the guests. On several occasions they assisted me in small questions and approached me before I had to ask them, friendly and proffesionally. Thats real service. Also the BMW with driver that they arranged for me on one occasion was superb. Not only the car is very comfortable and relatively low priced, the driver was also very proffesional and could speak excellent English.

The grounds of the property are still young and the vegetation needs to grow more, but especially in the evening you can see the amazing design of this outside area. Beautiful pool, innovative and design bar and restaurants. Did not have a change to eat in one of them, that was one of my regrets.

Well and then you always have to end with improvement points right? Well they are so small that I do not even want to bother you with that. This hotel is trendy and beautifully designed, excellent located and has a staff which proffesionalism is undisputed.

In one word: WOW!!!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for W Bali - Seminyak

Reviewed 28 April 2011

Firstly we didn't stay at the W, so can't comment on the quality of the rooms. We went to check out the pool having being told it was pretty amazing. And my friends were right, it is spectacular! The entire complex is designed like a resort in Miami with an open air contemporary feel and you walk in through the hotel bar and right into the pool and lounge area with tiered infinity pools and sun lounges scattered throughout. The pool area closest to the beach is my favorite part, with palm trees coming out of the pool and an infinity edge where you can lean on to watch the waves crashing into shore at sunset. There are also private cabanas you can get to lounge on while enjoying drinks and snacks by the pools. The lips cushions and purple towels are a nice touch. Definitely worth checking out when in Bali!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 April 2011

a fantastic peice of paradise with definetly a wow factor....glitz,glamour and lights..this is 1 of the best hotels ive stayed in (and travel frequently around)...however we stayed in the villa ...which was extremely comfortable and relaxing...everything was supplied in the room with nothing short of(bliss products,shaving creams,face wash,makeup remover pads ...beach thongs and towels).the villa was very comfortable and quiet and loved the idea can have music playing from my iphone that plays in the day bed beside the pool.(great sound system)..also had lounge sun beds as well...the only problem we had in the room was where the pump sits for the pool (infront of the daybed) was breaking and seeping in which several times when i stepped my foot would go in and is very dangerous.......villa 58.....also i think it would be better if the tvs were in a better postion more infront of the bed rather than side on...
staff...very very trying and helpful to accomadate us to make our stay better...yes the language barrier made it difficult at times but hey we r in bali.....but 1 suggestion is that the front desk staff should be able to speak fluent english...for instance we met the assistant manager (Avril) in the fire restaurant...who was extremely nice and very very attentive to us every time we ate there,she knew our names remebered everything and gave us some ideas on what we can do on the resort there...a wealth of information and her multi language skills were impressive...in saying this i believe people like her should be on the front counter....FOOD...OMG the best ever .....the breakfast is truly the freshest and variety(never seen b4)...food is great in all restuarants ...(and been to bali 4 times...by far this was way a cut above all the rest)...
thanku w for such a wonderful hip funky and fun atomsphere u provide..we will be back in a few months as we r wrapped in your palce there..all our friends will be coming there as well due to our excitement of yr property............also remembering a few more retail shops would be nice

Reviewed 26 April 2011

I decided to hold my wedding in W Bali in last November when it was still under construction. Although we were not 100% sure the venue would be good or not as we couldn't know in advance, we trusted Starwood and W.

Last week, 30 guests enjoyed the sunset champagne reception and a fabulous buffet dinner in WooBar and WooSky. The venue setup was fantastic and the food was delicious. The hotel showed us how wonderful the W brand was. The management team was very friendly and they even offered us an ocean-view suite after our wedding. The most unforgettable effort they made was that they framed our photo with their staff and put it in our room. It was touching and thoughtful. Actually, countless nice moments there were unforgettable for our friends, my husband and I. Also because of the free wifi, everyone was busy twitering during our wedding lol

I will upload some photos for other people's reference.

1  Thank EmilyZhang
CraigSeaward, General Manager at W Bali - Seminyak, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2011

Dear Emily,

Many thanks for taking the time to write your review, it’s very much appreciated and congratulations once again from the management and talent of the W Retreat and Spa on your recent wedding.

As you know you were the first wedding reception to be held in the retreat , and it was our privilege to host you, and we do hope that will bring you back on every anniversary to relive the W magic.

A long and happy life to you both!

Reviewed 24 April 2011

I am a frequent traveller and this is my first stay at a W. Was looking forward to it, but it turned out to be a nightmare from start to finish.

During my check-in at 4PM, the hotel informed me that my room would not be ready until an hour later. For me, it was strange, but I was happy to enjoy a martini at the bar until the room was ready, especially since they upgraded me to an Ocean facing room.

During the first night, I was woken up by mosquitos in the room to find that my face and arms were red had been attacked by mosquitos. OK--as it was very late, I got the mosquito repellant from the hotel staff--I was too tired to cause a fuss.

I got back to sleep after an hour only to be woken up again at 9AM by loud drilling and hammering in the room next to me. OK, complained to the duty manager and made arrangements to switch rooms later that afternoon---my second night was fine.

During my third and last night, was woken up AGAIN by the sound of hammering at 5AM!

To me it is the most basic of hotel operations to maintain at the very minimum an environment that is conducive for its guests to sleep through the night. I am definitely not a light sleeper, and this hotel failed on this count.

Pros:
--hardware was good (e.g. gym, restaurant, swimming pool)
--beautiful location by the beach, and convenient location in Seminyak to Bali's top restaurants, shopping and bars
--service of the staff was attentive in Fire (the name of the restaurant) and generally the staff seemed friendly and willing to help
--good drinks at the bar and quality of the food at Fire was good
--despite the late check-in, housekeeping and service of the room was quick and efficient throughout the stay
--free WIFI throughout the hotel

Cons:
--Construction noise!!
--Mosquitos were everywhere--in the hotel room and in Fire, the name of the hotel restaurant. In the enclosed indoor section of Fire, I had to keep fanning my food to make sure my lunch wasn't being shared with the flies and mosquitos that were circling around
--Lengthy and chaotic check-in process that took over an hour
--constantly a long wait for the taxi at the hotel
--Clueless staff at the hotel lobby lounge/bar-- ordered a Bombay martini 4 times with 4 different staff before I finally got it

This was my first and last stay at a W hotel.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
10  Thank Peter L
CraigSeaward, General Manager at W Bali - Seminyak, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2011

Dear PetertheGloetrotter,

Many thanks indeed for posting your review and for helping us understand where we need to improve our service to our customers.Your review has been very helpful, but please allow me this opportunity to respond to the specific points that you raise.

I do apologize if you had to wait for your room. Our 3pm check in time allows us some time to get all the rooms ready, but when we are busy it is not always possible to accommodate a check in prior to this time. We are currently looking at how we can speed up this process so that you don’t have to be inconvenienced by the wait.

I am sorry to hear that you had a number of mosquitoes in the room but the onset of rainy season it does bring them out, and we do fog the retreat every week as a preventative measure and have “bugger off” mosquito repellant placed in the room next to the bed.

I will certainly follow up the construction noise as this is a great concern so early in the morning, as we have no contractors on property till 8am and a strict no noise policy till 10am. I really appreciate you raising this and will review this with my engineering team.

Once again many thanks for keeping us honest and being our eyes and ears on the ground, and do hope that you will reconsider returning to the W Retreat and Spa in the future.

Reviewed 24 April 2011

We booked the ocean facing retreat and the room was just beautiful! The positive feedback is the following;

1) Comfortable bed and an insane view of the beach (the waves crashing at night lull you to sleep)

2) the restaurants were really good as well - the bloo restaurant has a great varied menu and you can never go wrong with sea food in Bali

My only negative feedback was as such;

1) The staff is obviously still very new as the hotel just opened about a few months ago - so at times they get some small requests wrong but they're always so nice!

2) There's a hotel bar that blasts music up until 1 am every night and normally you're way too tired to hear it (after spending the day on the beach and discovering) however it does get annoying (especially since there's no one in it ... so really no need to play the music that loud)

1  Thank bla_11
CraigSeaward, General Manager at W Bali - Seminyak, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2011

Dear Bla_11,

Many thanks indeed for your positive review its much appreciated, and thanks very much for taking the time to tell the world about you experience at the W Retreat and Spa Bali.

We have since this weekend reviewed the programming in Woobar, which has included a new noise reducing program, so in future a better sleep should be guaranteed only disturbed by the crashing of waves.

Do hope that we will welcome you back in the near future to the "new scene unseen"

Reviewed 22 April 2011

i would never pay any visit to any W if the friends were not staying at villa there...
had a good time for afternoon drink @ woobar and then after went dinner @ starfish bloo, where the night start ruined by small details like one of the waitress was rude.. very opposite than the bar ..
no indonesian at all on the menu, just korean/japanese style.. halo i'm in Bali, starwood !! food was ok not over the top..
the hotel design some are nice and daring but some are bit awkward.. all mostly are plastics..
and the villa where our friends are staying has no sea-view... while the price is more expensive than regular hotel room with view to the sea..while they look for quietness but they got all the noises from hotel construction.
no walking path from parking lot to the lobby ..

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends

Dear Rizferd,

Many thanks indeed for your review, it’s very much appreciated as management don’t always get to see the side of the customer experience, and that keeps us honest and we appreciate your eyes on the ground and your feedback.

Sorry to hear that the talent was rude to you in Satfish Bloo and it looks like we need to go back into training in this area and ensure that our customer interactions are improved.

I have taken your comments on board about the villas and the design and these are valuable feedback, but I hope that these issues won’t deter you from returning to the W Retreat and Spa in the near future.