“Different Bali experience”
Review of W Bali - Seminyak

W Bali - Seminyak
Ranked #19 of 148 Hotels in Seminyak
Reviewed 6 May 2011

As the title suggests, the W hotel is not a typical Balinese hotel in the traditional sense. If you're expecting the classical Balinese touch regarding style then you will be disappointed. The lobby and the main building can be found anywhere else, like Miami Beach. It doesn't mean that the hotel facilities are not amazing from an architectural point of view but it's not the true Bali experience like you would get at the Four Seasons.

Positives:

Nice location: Seminyak is the most hip area for shopping and dining
Very helpful and always smiling staff
Kid friendly surroundings
Food (breakfast/lunch at Fire & dinner at Starfish Bloo) was excellent
Beautiful and very big pool
Villas nicely decorated
Excellent spa

Negatives:

The sliding mechanism of the door of our villa room broke so it became impossible to open or close. I had to call the Whatever/Whenever service a few times before they sent a technical team to fix. But even then it wasn't properly fixed
Poor lighting in the villa pool and even more so when one light was not working.
We had an electricity power failure in the main room one night so no aircon for the whole night.
When the master switch was turned off in the room there was still light under the bed table and in the bathroom under the sink despite the keycard removed from the slot. A technician had to cut off the wires to fix this problem!
Despite asking the front desk to have the Villas Sales center call me, they never did....
We ordered DVD's but one DVD was from another zone....
Tried to connect the ipod dock from one room to the other but unsuccesfully

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank tour2010

Reviewed 5 May 2011

To paraphrase Epictetus "It's not just what happens, but how management reacts that matters in how we rate a resort"

My wife and I stayed in a 1 Bedroom Villa from 7th to 15th April and while we experienced some issues which we did not expect, I was impressed by the senior management attention and effort to resolve the issues and maintain our trust in the W brand,

Personal attention from Craig Seward, Simon Dornan and Franklin made us feel they really care about their guests and are determined to make W Bali as good as the best W resorts.

We hope to return to W Bali for an even more enjoyable experience next year.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 May 2011

because i had more than once fantastic experience with W before, when i heard there is a new W in Bali, i put it in my plan expecting to enjoy again. turned out a very bad decision. the staff are junior, insensitive, and careless. did not queue for check in (no one was in front of us) but still spent more than 20 minutes waiting for the front dest to process. air condition in the villa was way too noisy for people to fall into sleep at night. the promotion price of Well Healed spa treatment in the website was USD111 but the spa center charged me for IDR1.1million (appx. USD128). when we called Whenever Whatever service line, nobody picked up the phone until the 5th time. shower water was not hot and the water pressure was low. for me, there is no reason to stay in this hotel again in the future given there are plenty of nice hotels in Bali.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
17  Thank morefrequentflyer
Reviewed 1 May 2011

I'm actually still staying at the hotel and cannot sleep due to anger (& the light problem).
The "Master" switch here does not turn off all the lights, and I need total black out to sleep. Called the "whatever/whenever" team. The 1st time no one answered (rang around 30 times), 2nd time no one answered as well (rang about 50 times), finally 3rd time someone picked up the phone, but informed me that there's no way to turn off ALL the lights by myself!! They need to send technician for this....!!! It's just ridiculous and my friend is already asleep. That's why I'm awake here typing out my anger. What's a hotel for if I cannot sleep well. Terrible experience.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
9  Thank Yuli_TW
Reviewed 30 April 2011

We spent 10 days at the new W in Seminyak . We had a great room on the top floor with awesome ocean views. Sound of big crashing waves is soo soothing. The welcome from satff and the room is fantastic. We had a discounted deal mind you. W is perfectly located near the lovely restaurants and bars of seminyak yet also a little secluded. They should tell people they don't want you to swim at the beach though! Note its brown sand but didn't bother us. The pool area is stunning with beds and lounges and cool bar areas. Service is a little slow and amateur and cocktails average at the pool but the attitude is right and we suspect this should improve. the staff at this hotel are just amazing in terms of their attitude and want to please. There are lots of smiles. Breaky is awesome as is the starfish blue restaurant on the beach. They need a walkway to the main drag as you have to dodge cars but no biggy.
They got the bill wrong twice at the end which is always a bad ending but excusable. The room service is ok but doesn't live up to the branding... Gym needs some more machines but is good and spa is acceptable. Bali a lot of fun and main thing about this place is the service attitude and general high quality we woul definatlley recommend it and believe some of the teething issues will be overcome!

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed 28 April 2011

I am actually still sitting in my room looking around and I am still amazed at all the gadgets, beautiful use of materials and high end luxury products. I do not wanna leave in just a few hours!

The rooms are very spacious and can be considered as being one of the best I have ever slept in. The enormous bed is simply to die for, with very comfortable pillows. From mini-bar till the shower and bath tub everything is done in a beautiful very modern way. Good selection of in room dining possibilities which I used for dinner once and for breakfast, both times they were fast and the food was of a high quality.

Service at reception area is very focused on satisfying the guests. On several occasions they assisted me in small questions and approached me before I had to ask them, friendly and proffesionally. Thats real service. Also the BMW with driver that they arranged for me on one occasion was superb. Not only the car is very comfortable and relatively low priced, the driver was also very proffesional and could speak excellent English.

The grounds of the property are still young and the vegetation needs to grow more, but especially in the evening you can see the amazing design of this outside area. Beautiful pool, innovative and design bar and restaurants. Did not have a change to eat in one of them, that was one of my regrets.

Well and then you always have to end with improvement points right? Well they are so small that I do not even want to bother you with that. This hotel is trendy and beautifully designed, excellent located and has a staff which proffesionalism is undisputed.

In one word: WOW!!!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 April 2011

Firstly we didn't stay at the W, so can't comment on the quality of the rooms. We went to check out the pool having being told it was pretty amazing. And my friends were right, it is spectacular! The entire complex is designed like a resort in Miami with an open air contemporary feel and you walk in through the hotel bar and right into the pool and lounge area with tiered infinity pools and sun lounges scattered throughout. The pool area closest to the beach is my favorite part, with palm trees coming out of the pool and an infinity edge where you can lean on to watch the waves crashing into shore at sunset. There are also private cabanas you can get to lounge on while enjoying drinks and snacks by the pools. The lips cushions and purple towels are a nice touch. Definitely worth checking out when in Bali!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends