“We've been expecting you Mr Bond”
Review of W Bali - Seminyak

W Bali - Seminyak
Ranked #20 of 149 Hotels in Seminyak
Reviewed 25 May 2011

From the arrival at the airport (yes, make sure you get the Visa Assistance, to ensure you don't have to face the 2 hour queue with the hoards) and transfer, you are made to feel very special indeed.
Arriving at W Bali is like arriving at the exotic lair of one of the super villains in a James Bond movie. The sense of arrival is unparralelled with a sensational landscaped driveway comprising of an expanse of water on each side of the driveway and flame lighting features which almost feels like you are arriving through the middle of one of the active Bali volcanos with lava spilling over edge (try to arrive at night). The lobby appears bathed in constantly shifting intelligent LED lighting. The only thing missing is the stainless steel, egg shaped monorail that no self respecting villain would be with out.
The welcome is complete with Bond girl glamour reception staff and stylised bellmen however no scarred bald guy in Mandarin collar suit with hairless cat was spotted. So if you can imagine this was the arrival, the rest of the stay was just as impressive.
The rooms have names like WOW, Spectacular and Extreme and as much as that sounds a bit affected, when you see the room it is actually apt. The view from our "Spectacular Ocean View room" was just that, so there is truth in advertising and well worth it. Being a W hotel the decor is naturally modern and all the quirky touches are there for W afficiandos to feel at home.
Likewise with W's focus on restaurants and bars this hotel does not fail to impress. The breakfast is a dream with an interactive buffet style complemented by the random flavoursome "handout" which were "Lobster Nachos", Belgian Waffles with Strawberries, Breakfast Burrito and in the name of healthy living there were Wheatgrass shots. The selections changed daily so for our 7 night stay it was never boring.
If you are staying over a weekend then the Sunday brunch is a must. The list of fare is far too extensive to list but there are many morsels of deliciousness to be savoured. We spent 2 1/2 hours in our own bamboo pod over looking the ocean, just grazing away with a lovely Italian Pinot Grigio thrown in for good measure (very sad but in Bali the wine is very exxy).
The location was terrific for us because we wanted to do nothing but relax all week, so we only ventured out to the bars and restaurants close by. The staff recommended a couple of stand out places as follows:
Potatohead Bar is next door - Spot on the cocktail selection - thirst quenching, long and icy during the day and knock outs for evening. DJ line up (especially the spunky Aussie lady at sunset) provided perfect tunes for the soundtrack to the holiday.
Sip Restaurant - Trad Froggie fare Michelin star quality
Sarong Restaurant - The highlight for dinner - showcasing the best Indo / Asia dishes in swanky surrounds.
Enough said I think. The holiday was exactly what we were looking for and all thanks to W Bali staff and Management.

Room Tip: Go the Ocean View
1  Thank SamsonNIte
Write a ReviewReviews (3,623)

Reviewed 24 May 2011

Let's get it straight- It''s expensive but was it worth it? YES with a capital W!

4 friends (2 Swiss girls, 1 Swiss/Finish girl and 1 Aussie male) spent last weekend in 2 ocean view rooms with 2 very confortable queen size beds in each room and we all had a fantastic time. The view from our rooms of the unswimmable beach (strong currents) but beautiful ocean, stunning pool and designer grounds and cool bar were awesome. The room is spacious and very modern with a monsoon shower. The staff are very friendly without being overly so, the pool attendants were attentive. The breakfast buffet was great and staff very attentive. If there was any disappointment it was with the fact you didn't have the option to swim in the ocean or lie on the beach. But notwithstanding the designer sheik still felt warm and friendly. I would definitely stay here agin once I save up some more! ;)

1  Thank HappySydChampers
Reviewed 24 May 2011

Eventhough there are a couple of "whoops" during the stay,pardonable as W bali just opened 2 months ago(such as slow check in by the front desk--30 minutes eventhough there's no line infront of us and slow service by the in-room service team),the
overall W experience is still wonderful.

Especially the food at starfishbloo are insanely delicious from beginning to end(crab corn soup,thai spiced pork ribs,black truffle congee with pork ribs,korean style fried chicken and hot stone truffle infused yuzu wagyu beef)
Kudos to chef Jack for his consistent awesomeness and understanding of mixing and blending east and west ingredient without them tasting like "white" asian food.Watch out Mozaic and St Regis Bali breakfast! Will definately recommend everybody to stay in W bali just for his food.

Wave your woes goodbye when you stay at the one bedroom villas. Their attention to detail,and the teasing of your 5 senses(textural cool interior,bose indoor and outdoor sound system,generous servings of bliss bath products)is what makes me overlooked their whoops and be a forever W worshipper!

The interior of the spa is the greatest disapointment having been a seasoned W and bliss spa convert,the design seems amaeturish and disconnected from the main theme~relaxing resort. It emanates a very cheap and tacky futuristic,spaceship feels. Interior design is crucial for a spa as people paid money for the ambiance as part of their experience. W Bali should have hired bliss spa as their operator.Once anyone have tried the bliss spa heated and soft treatment bed, one can never quite go back to any spas.

But again, overall experience is WOW!

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed 20 May 2011

I spent a very long time trying to find out about W Bali before booking my stay. Reading some reviews here, I was a bit hesitant to hear of people's complaints about certain issues here and there. It was also hard to track down a decent photograph, or to understand where everything is in relation everything else. But, I had confidence in the W brand, so I booked accordingly, even though it was more expensive than alternative accomodation.

I'm glad I backed the W brand. This place is phenominal. I am extremely fussy, and wherever you go in this place, you see an amazing new feature- attention to detail that you just wonder how they plan everything so intricately. The resort is centred around the magnificent ocean views from the lobby- it's an open air space, with couches and an open air bar areas- to be quite frank, you could just sit in that space all day. Then, there's the incredible pool area, the amazing WooBar, all the restaurants, the glamourous business centre.

Whilst researching my stay, I really wasnt sure whether to stay in a room or a villa. The quick answer to the question is, it really doesn't matter where you stay- everything is awesome.

The ocean view / ocean facing and garden view rooms are all identical in features, the difference is only the views. I took an ocean facing room (the most expensive one) and it was superb, however for a few hundred dollars less per night you can stay in a garden view room, and I think I'd be thrilled to stay there too!

Then, I moved to a one bedroom villa- they seem surreal, they are too perfect to be real. I just don't know how they plan all the meticulous detail. Even the tree they place in the villa entrance drops the most exotic flowers on the pebbles below, I almost thought they were placed there by hand by the staff.

Nothing is any trouble for any of the staff at W. They are all walking around doing their jobs with a huge smile on their faces. There is a vibe here that you just don't find at other hotels. It's the W spirit and I love it.

I'm on my 4th night here, and I have four left to go. I've already toyed with the idea of extending my stay an extra week.

So, to recap, BOOK THIS PLACE! It's AMAZING! Don't hesitate! You will not be dissapointed.

I've read all the reviews here. It really surprises me some of the things people complain about. If W Bali is not good enough for them, I really don't know what will satisfy them. I am one of the most fussy people I know, yet this place is just phenominal.

Book it, book it, book it!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank daniel1008
Reviewed 17 May 2011

Service over all is good
However as a new hotel needs some fune tuning is requied in both systems such as check in.
Too long waiting around at check in , check out and if you have a question
No system in place for taxi

Fire resturant is best in this complex

Pool area is fantastic

Better system is required also in telling visitors facilities available
No mention at check in
No mention in hotel info booklet
This hotel has great facilities but unfortunately only way of finding out about them is to search them out yourself

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AjmMelbourne
Reviewed 11 May 2011

Have been eagerly awaiting to opening of the W Bali. I tell you, well worth the wait. It all started with the arrival, VIP airport service and then whisked away in their BMW X5, we took the scenic route as offered by the driver.

The arrival is nothing short of amazing, it was early evening and the lights wow.

Offered in room check in. And we were ready to go and play.

The design of W Bali is so unexpected, there is nothing like it in Bali indeed Asia. The restaurants and bars are cutting edge.

Breakfast in Fire is a gourmet experience, lead up by a very interactive Exec Chef Ian whom is always there and ready to please. Was spoilt by the restaurant manager Dewi and her team every day, I miss my mug ( you choose your own mug for the entire stay), very cool.

Had an amazing experience at Starfish Bloo the resorts signature restaurant. Then you have Woobar, we were so lucky on the Sunday they had the very famous band Igognito playing at sunset, the place was packed and we had a very unexpected great evening.

Oh yeah you have to see the Away spa, words can't explain!

What was great you can always run into the management of the resort, they are everywhere all the time. Bravo to you Craig and Simon (gm and the hotel manager) you have an amazing product and most of all excellent talent, that have a refreshing approach to service.

W Bali is and will set a new benchmark for Bali, we will be back

2  Thank Dontwannago
Reviewed 10 May 2011

I have just come back from a very varied trip to Bali - staying at several resorts and I have to say that for position and that WOW factor - the W ticked quite a few boxes. We were lucky enough to get a very good rate on a pool villa and based on the price we paid ($3^0 AUS) - it was incredible value. I have just looked up the current rates on wotif and they are close to $1000 AUS now which maybe isnt such good value. They are newly opened and still finding their feet, so we were happy to forgive a bit of slow service. One criticism is the food, beverage and day spa pricing.With quality restaurants and day spas within walking distance - we were happy to leave the resort for breakfast and pay about $7 a head for breakfast instead of the $35 they were going to charge us. The pool villas are beautiful and every single thing has been thought of. The pools are big and they have a lovely big covered day bed with lots of comfy cushions. Children have been thought of and my little boy recieved a little gift pack of chocolate sun cream, insect repellent, shampoo and condtioner. Our friends little girls recieved the same gift but strawberry scented!! There were lovely toiletries, magazines to read and a good music system - basically they had thought of everything.The foyer was mind blowing and the lighting is spectaclular. I would highly recommend this hotel

Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family