“Great hotel and excellent location” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of W Bali - Seminyak

W Bali - Seminyak
Ranked #26 of 141 Hotels in Seminyak
“Great hotel and excellent location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

I really can't say anything bad about this hotel. It has a great location with a private beach. The rooms are a nice size and the bed is super comfortable. The staff were excellent as well; always so nice and friendly and kind. The only bad thing is the water is murky, so its not like you get some dreamy beach but that is no fault of the hotel. Also, our furniture out on our deck was stained, kinda gross. We stayed on the hotel side and not in the villas. We also had the breakfast buffet which was very good. The food at W hotels is always interesting! I will definitely come back here again if I go to Seminyak.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank btravel17
W_Bali_Seminyak, General Manager at W Bali - Seminyak, responded to this review, 24 April 2012
Hello btravel77,

Thank you for your review. We are glad to hear that you had a great time at W Bali. Since you only live in Singapore – we are sure that you will return soon! Looking forward to welcoming you back.

Craig Seaward

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (785)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Ko Samui, Thailand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

My initial high expectations of W were dampened with my 4days experience in Bali.
I have never in my 16years of business travelling been put up for hours upon check-in. 3+ hours to be exact with W Retreat and Spa Bali's front desk! A dubious record I'm sure will stay in history for the longest time. There was an obvious lack of coordination,teamwork and communication between the staff as far as our check-in was concerned. We almost contemplated to move to other resorts until we got a visit from the Residence Director, who tried to save the situation and offered free spa for a night. Yes one night only..
As like others, Villa room AC sounded like a turbine engine on a B777, most apparent during wee times. Room night lights that wouldn't go off for security reasons, said the staff. Breakfast at Fire restaurant was totally forgettable. Service speed in all areas were appalling.
Value for money? No... Would I return to W Bali again? Only if they could get it right.

• Stayed April 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Hello popeyescoob,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your W Experience. We train our team to deliver the best service and will have to discuss why the check-in process took so long. Did you arrive before the check-in time of 3pm? Please clarify: gm.craig.seaward@whotels.com.

Hopefully there will be another chance for you to return to show you that we can get it right!

Kuching, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

The moment we walk into the lobby, we knew this gonna be a totally different experience from the beach resort we used to stay.

We were there in Nov 2011 to celebrate my wife's birthday. Was staying in the Ocean Facing retreat - spacious, wonderful view and very comfortable bed.

W Spa is quite a nice place to relax yourself. They do have discount after late night hour, do check with the spa reception.
Had breakfast and lunch in fire - lovely setup and food were nice. We also had breakfast in Starfish Bloo - I can only tell you that this is the best breakfast I ever had (the view and the food, they will never be erased from my memory)

Now come to the reason why I gave their 'service' 1 star. made a pre-arrangment with concierge for a transport to ubud for my wife's birthday dinner celebration + a baby sitter to look after our son during the dinner. Did sent a reminder email about the car, baby sitter and the address of the restaurant which we want to go before my arrival as I knew how important this dinner is for the trip.
When we went to the lobby at the appointed time, the car I book wasn't ready...............5 minutes later it arrived and when I questioned bout the baby sitter, again they have to check for another 10 minutes and the reply was "she is on her way, are you able to wait another 30 minutes?" Ofcos I'm not waiting and when we start heading to ubud, the driver asked me "where are we going today?" ...... again he turned back to the lobby and spent further time to check the location which I already sent them earlier by email................then everything starts went wrong from here ............ and end up the night was we were back to the hotel without having our dinner, son got car sick (because of the kind driver using short cut through all the small lanes and turns instead of the main road as we were late for our dinner) and a disappointed wife who saw her long-waited birthday dinner in Bali got ruined.

Besides the concierge side, I will say everyone in W Bali gave us a wonderful stay. Special thanks to Adi (sorry if I spell your name wrongly) for his helpful direction guide and Mr. Franklyn for the birthday surprise.

more tips for food:
Europa which is about 2 minutes by taxi serving 1 of the best crispy duck
Metis which is about 3-5 minutes by taxi is another nice place for your palate experience

Room Tip: Ocean front room on the higher floor will be a good choice. Villa not my choice as it doesn't h...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Hello Daniel,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am sorry to hear that your wife’s birthday dinner did not go according to plan. That is a major mistake on our part. Can you please advise me which email address you sent your request to so I can follow up with the appropriate department? gm.craig.seaward@whotels.com.

I am happy to hear that all other aspects of your holiday went well and thank you for acknowledging our Talent. Please let us know when you plan on returning to Bali, we would love to welcome you back.

Yangon (Rangoon), Myanmar
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012 via mobile

I'm right now staying @ W Retreat.

I'm here for 2 weeks with my family and would like to share my experiences of last 4 days.

We booked a ocean view room 400$ and before coming further upgraded to a one bedroom villa with $ 100++. This was done 4 days back before coming, even got a confirmation on the same by W Retreat. 2 days before coming, I called but it was a shock that they did not find my upgrade. Then I had to send my confirmation to a person Adrian and then he again confirmed me back in the evening.

I arranged the hotel transfer in Toyota Innova for 22$, which was quite smooth and ok.

Check in was also smooth.

Room: quite a nice one but lots of faults, I don't understand that a relatively new hotel with so many problems.
- pool lights not switching off in the night.
- aircon, there is a issue
- wash basins, water splashing all over and making the area and cosmetics wet
- rooms are not cleaned, had to call the house keeping.
- just 4 small bottles of water but however if u call they relenish it.
The Director of villa is a nice person, who took care so that I am comfortable. He even offered me to move to another villa but jokingly I told that if they upgrade then I will move otherwise there is no point packing the things and moving again.

Will update more later after a full 2 week experience.

According to me only the name is Big...rest...???

Being a gold card star wood member, I expect a lot more pampering and comfoRt.

Stayed April 2012
4 Thank Zeds13
Hello Zeds13,

Thank you for your loyalty to Starwood and choosing to upgrade at W Bali. I am happy to hear that our Director of Residences was able to make you feel comfortable despite your issues. I will also re-address this with the relevant departments.

We do hope you were WOW’d during the remainder of your stay.

Please feel free to reach out to me if you need to discuss your issues further. gm.craig.seaward@whotels.com.

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

Hi Stayed here with my family my wife and i stayed in a one bedroom villa and my teenage children stayed in a ocean facing room the service was very good and frendly we were able to check in easly because were staying in the villas but i did notice that the check in for the hotel was very busy. Our children kept coming to our villa to swim as they said that there were not enough sun lounges.THe hotel is located in Seminyak which is central to shopping and restaurants.All in all a good hotel however as one of your other reviews stated the airon was extremely load.

Room Tip: stay in a villa
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank RobertMPerth
Hello 255103Robert,

Thank you taking the time to post your review. We are delighted to hear that you and your family enjoyed your time together at the Retreat. During peak holiday times, the Retreat does get busy, but good to know that your children were able to utilize your Villa’s private pool. Just to let you know that plan is to add more cabanas before this coming high season.

Hope that we can welcome you back soon.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

This review is long overdue - we were in Bali in December for 10 days over Christmas. Our Bali trip was a wedding gift + honeymoon from our family in Singapore. My husband and I live in New York and although I've been to Bali before, he never has. It was therefore very important to my family that we have an incredible stay. They usually stay at the 4 Seasons or Anantara or Legian - however this time they chose to book us at the "W".

It was par excellence to the point that we extended our stay by 3 days - we would have preferred even more days there, but work beckoned. It is a brand new property (at the time we were there, not even 9 mths old), with beautiful landscaping and interiors - very 'W' but very location appropriate.

Ian Lovie the Director of Cusine is brilliant at what he does - he is always present at every meal and attends to each guest with grace and charm. My husband fell ill (having eaten something outside/street food) while we were there and Mr. Lovie made sure he was plied with the right foods and tumblers of fresh coconut water for the duration of our stay. The food every day was incredible and fabulously 'curated'. We stayed on the top floor with an ocean facing view - stupendous - and a skyroof in the bathroom (which was ridiculously luxurious). The pool is really quite lovely - we enjoy swimming - and really had a great time. The 'whatever, whenever' desk went above and beyond with all our requests which included changing flights a few times and booking and juggling restaurant reservations.

The only drawback was that during the Christmas holidays they were ill-equipped to service all their guests in a timely fashion. We had a few housekeeping issues that were not dealt with speed and alacrity or not at all - this was most disappointing.

We certainly plan to go back to Bali and will stay at the 'W' again - however, we will try to go during the 'off-season'. Hopefully the next time, housekeeping will be more seasoned and therefore far better equipped to handle guest concerns.

All in all - fabulous hotel, great staff, excellent food ('Fire' restaurant was our favourite!) and Ian Lovie is the perfect ambassador for the hotel - he and his elegant staff really made our stay memorable.

Room Tip: Room with an ocean view - top floor - and sky roof in the bathroom really make the stay special.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank M D
Hello M D,

We appreciate you writing your review, it’s always better late than never! Sorry to hear that our Style department was squeezed during your time with us, but it doesn’t sound like this hindered your W Bali Experience. This is something we will reorganize especially with regards to high/peak seasons. Living in the birthplace of W, you would be the best judge of how the brand is translated to an international destination. Thank you for acknowledging that.

Your kind words about Chef Ian are definitely a shared opinion. He makes an excellent ambassador for the Retreat.

Hopefully, you will be able to come back soon. Just remember – anytime you go to Singapore – we are only 2 more hours away.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

Stayed for 3 nights in the Wonderful Garden Retreat and the Marvelous One Bedroom Pool Villa. I believe much has been said about the rooms and the facilities by other reviewers, so I shall review of What I like/dislike the most about this W:-

What I like:-

1. Breakfast at FIRE - Hands down the best hotel breakfast I've ever had. Do try the DragonBerry juice (see my pic). It is so delicious, I had 4-5 glasses every morning
2. W Bed - I fell asleep even when I didn't intend to?! The moment I put my head on the pillow I automatically dozed off??!!! (Yes, it is that good)
3. Landscape - Gorgeous, simply gorgeous. We actually intend to go sightseeing in Bali but after we checked into W, we cancelled all of our plans and decided to camp full time in W.
Our fav spot is the black day bed at WooBar, or the gazebo in front of WooBar. What a perfect spot to take a nap after enjoying the heavy breakfast at Fire!
4. Bliss amenities
5. The bathroom at the One Bedroom Pool Villa - I love the fact that it is overlooking the bale bed, water feature and the pool (esp the tub)
6. Starfish Bloo's interior - seriously, one of the best interior's Ive seen (kudos to Poole & Associates!)

and last, but not least, my FAV of all:

7. Whatever/Whenever team - Seriously I was a big fan of St Regis' Butler service until I experienced W/W....Lazy to walk from your villa? Call Whatever/Whenever to pick you up. Cannot find anything? Call W/W. Wants to eat ice cream? Call W/W to buy it for u. Lazy to peel the apples? Call W/W to send the ones that has been peeled n cut for u......I can go on and on about the requests that I've made to W/W, but I shall sum it all in one word: Amazing

Now onwards to the complaints......

Well...........none

Everything was perfect, from the moment we arrived till we left. We were treated like princesses, and all of our requests were fulfilled.. Perhaps my only complaint is that the W Store should've sold W Merchandise (i.e Bedsheets and Diffuser (esp the Diffuser)) instead of only accessories and clothes.. We were so disappointed we couldn't buy the diffuser but Craig took care of it for us. Thanks Craig :D

Well what else can I say, I believe my title says it all.. Looking forward to visit other Ws (will be in W NYC, W Washington, W Singapore and W Bangkok later this year) but we promise we will be back to W Bali again :)

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank 24n
W_Bali_Seminyak, General Manager at W Bali - Seminyak, responded to this review, 23 April 2012
Hello 24n,

Thank you for your stellar review! It is always nice to hear that our guests are spoiled for choice on this beautiful island, and yet, they still prefer to spend their time with us. There is certainly enough to do (or not to do!) at the Retreat and good to know we exceeded your expectations. We also loved that you wanted to take a piece of W Bali home with you, with our compliments!

I think we have found a loyal fan and we look forward to welcoming you back. Let us know when you are ready to book!