“Disappointing food” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #25 of 141 Hotels in Seminyak
Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand
“Disappointing food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

We went to the W for their famous Sunday lunch. This was our second visit, the first being a good one, and the standards have dropped significantly. The food was extremely average. Some items such as roast beef have been replaced with chicken. The majority of the desserts were stodgy and inedible. We were expecting top notch food and instead all we got was your typical sub-par hotel buffet. The best thing was the chinese food - prawns and pork dumplings etc. The service was good (friendly waiter and maitre'd) but the average food meant we won't be coming back.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank jetsetglutton
W_Bali_Seminyak, General Manager at W Bali - Seminyak, responded to this review, 24 April 2012
Hello jetsetglutton,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am sorry to hear that you did not appreciate the Sunday Brunch the second time around. The selection has always been wide and varying. I will discuss your feedback with our chefs to see what we think should be adjusted.

We do hope that you will give it another go next time you are in Bali!

Craig Seaward

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (785)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

The rooms are ultra cool and location, right next to Potato Heads is key, but it's the staff that really made my stay special. At breakfast, guests can choose from a couple hundred unique coffee mugs. It's a small, but very creative pleasure. Overall, the breakfast experience is superb with a mix of western and asian cuisine. I had a nice chat with the culinary director, Marcus Willson, who has that place running on all cylinders. He even let me purchase my favorite mug to bring home as a souvenir! Don't hesitate to stay at this W.

Room Tip: Rooms can be far from the elevators, so inquire if that's an issue for you.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Larry B
Hello Larry B,

We are so delighted that you came all this way and decided to stay at W Bali. Thank you for your posting your review. I agree 100% that it is the Talent who make the W Bali Experience. I also agree the breakfast is just superb!

Certainly don’t hesitate to book your next visit with us – let us know when you’re coming!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

I really can't say anything bad about this hotel. It has a great location with a private beach. The rooms are a nice size and the bed is super comfortable. The staff were excellent as well; always so nice and friendly and kind. The only bad thing is the water is murky, so its not like you get some dreamy beach but that is no fault of the hotel. Also, our furniture out on our deck was stained, kinda gross. We stayed on the hotel side and not in the villas. We also had the breakfast buffet which was very good. The food at W hotels is always interesting! I will definitely come back here again if I go to Seminyak.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank btravel17
Hello btravel77,

Thank you for your review. We are glad to hear that you had a great time at W Bali. Since you only live in Singapore – we are sure that you will return soon! Looking forward to welcoming you back.

Ko Samui, Thailand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

My initial high expectations of W were dampened with my 4days experience in Bali.
I have never in my 16years of business travelling been put up for hours upon check-in. 3+ hours to be exact with W Retreat and Spa Bali's front desk! A dubious record I'm sure will stay in history for the longest time. There was an obvious lack of coordination,teamwork and communication between the staff as far as our check-in was concerned. We almost contemplated to move to other resorts until we got a visit from the Residence Director, who tried to save the situation and offered free spa for a night. Yes one night only..
As like others, Villa room AC sounded like a turbine engine on a B777, most apparent during wee times. Room night lights that wouldn't go off for security reasons, said the staff. Breakfast at Fire restaurant was totally forgettable. Service speed in all areas were appalling.
Value for money? No... Would I return to W Bali again? Only if they could get it right.

• Stayed April 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Hello popeyescoob,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your W Experience. We train our team to deliver the best service and will have to discuss why the check-in process took so long. Did you arrive before the check-in time of 3pm? Please clarify: gm.craig.seaward@whotels.com.

Hopefully there will be another chance for you to return to show you that we can get it right!

Kuching, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

The moment we walk into the lobby, we knew this gonna be a totally different experience from the beach resort we used to stay.

We were there in Nov 2011 to celebrate my wife's birthday. Was staying in the Ocean Facing retreat - spacious, wonderful view and very comfortable bed.

W Spa is quite a nice place to relax yourself. They do have discount after late night hour, do check with the spa reception.
Had breakfast and lunch in fire - lovely setup and food were nice. We also had breakfast in Starfish Bloo - I can only tell you that this is the best breakfast I ever had (the view and the food, they will never be erased from my memory)

Now come to the reason why I gave their 'service' 1 star. made a pre-arrangment with concierge for a transport to ubud for my wife's birthday dinner celebration + a baby sitter to look after our son during the dinner. Did sent a reminder email about the car, baby sitter and the address of the restaurant which we want to go before my arrival as I knew how important this dinner is for the trip.
When we went to the lobby at the appointed time, the car I book wasn't ready...............5 minutes later it arrived and when I questioned bout the baby sitter, again they have to check for another 10 minutes and the reply was "she is on her way, are you able to wait another 30 minutes?" Ofcos I'm not waiting and when we start heading to ubud, the driver asked me "where are we going today?" ...... again he turned back to the lobby and spent further time to check the location which I already sent them earlier by email................then everything starts went wrong from here ............ and end up the night was we were back to the hotel without having our dinner, son got car sick (because of the kind driver using short cut through all the small lanes and turns instead of the main road as we were late for our dinner) and a disappointed wife who saw her long-waited birthday dinner in Bali got ruined.

Besides the concierge side, I will say everyone in W Bali gave us a wonderful stay. Special thanks to Adi (sorry if I spell your name wrongly) for his helpful direction guide and Mr. Franklyn for the birthday surprise.

more tips for food:
Europa which is about 2 minutes by taxi serving 1 of the best crispy duck
Metis which is about 3-5 minutes by taxi is another nice place for your palate experience

Room Tip: Ocean front room on the higher floor will be a good choice. Villa not my choice as it doesn't h...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Hello Daniel,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am sorry to hear that your wife’s birthday dinner did not go according to plan. That is a major mistake on our part. Can you please advise me which email address you sent your request to so I can follow up with the appropriate department? gm.craig.seaward@whotels.com.

I am happy to hear that all other aspects of your holiday went well and thank you for acknowledging our Talent. Please let us know when you plan on returning to Bali, we would love to welcome you back.

Yangon (Rangoon), Myanmar
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012 via mobile

I'm right now staying @ W Retreat.

I'm here for 2 weeks with my family and would like to share my experiences of last 4 days.

We booked a ocean view room 400$ and before coming further upgraded to a one bedroom villa with $ 100++. This was done 4 days back before coming, even got a confirmation on the same by W Retreat. 2 days before coming, I called but it was a shock that they did not find my upgrade. Then I had to send my confirmation to a person Adrian and then he again confirmed me back in the evening.

I arranged the hotel transfer in Toyota Innova for 22$, which was quite smooth and ok.

Check in was also smooth.

Room: quite a nice one but lots of faults, I don't understand that a relatively new hotel with so many problems.
- pool lights not switching off in the night.
- aircon, there is a issue
- wash basins, water splashing all over and making the area and cosmetics wet
- rooms are not cleaned, had to call the house keeping.
- just 4 small bottles of water but however if u call they relenish it.
The Director of villa is a nice person, who took care so that I am comfortable. He even offered me to move to another villa but jokingly I told that if they upgrade then I will move otherwise there is no point packing the things and moving again.

Will update more later after a full 2 week experience.

According to me only the name is Big...rest...???

Being a gold card star wood member, I expect a lot more pampering and comfoRt.

Stayed April 2012
4 Thank Zeds13
Hello Zeds13,

Thank you for your loyalty to Starwood and choosing to upgrade at W Bali. I am happy to hear that our Director of Residences was able to make you feel comfortable despite your issues. I will also re-address this with the relevant departments.

We do hope you were WOW’d during the remainder of your stay.

Please feel free to reach out to me if you need to discuss your issues further. gm.craig.seaward@whotels.com.

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

Hi Stayed here with my family my wife and i stayed in a one bedroom villa and my teenage children stayed in a ocean facing room the service was very good and frendly we were able to check in easly because were staying in the villas but i did notice that the check in for the hotel was very busy. Our children kept coming to our villa to swim as they said that there were not enough sun lounges.THe hotel is located in Seminyak which is central to shopping and restaurants.All in all a good hotel however as one of your other reviews stated the airon was extremely load.

Room Tip: stay in a villa
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank RobertMPerth
Hello 255103Robert,

Thank you taking the time to post your review. We are delighted to hear that you and your family enjoyed your time together at the Retreat. During peak holiday times, the Retreat does get busy, but good to know that your children were able to utilize your Villa’s private pool. Just to let you know that plan is to add more cabanas before this coming high season.

Hope that we can welcome you back soon.