“.....amazing pool overrun with uncontrolled children....really ruined the experience...”
Review of W Bali - Seminyak

W Bali - Seminyak
Ranked #19 of 148 Hotels in Seminyak
Reviewed 27 April 2012

As previously stated in multiple reviews, the W Seminyak features very modern and cutting edge architecture and design. If you are into funky design this hotel will not disappoint. The wow factor is definitely present, and the W has the potential to be a truly luxurious escape.

The multi level pool is amazing, and relaxing in one of the many lounge chairs is a great way to unwind. The only factor that we disliked was the many kids that were present. The W markets itself as a high end hotel, a designer escape from the craziness of Bali. However while trying to relax by the pool we were subjected to about twenty kids screaming and splashing water in our direction, so much so that I had to verbally complain. This really ruined the atmosphere and the serenity and peace that we were expecting from the W. The noise of kids screaming while trying to have a relaxing day by the pool was the last thing we expected from a hotel that markets itself as a retreat. For those travelers without children the last thing that we want to be subjected to while on holidays is to be surrounded by children screaming!

I would recommend the W limit the amount of families staying there or have designated kid areas that are well away from the main pool so that people who wish to relax can have a chance to without the noise. Considering the prices that we paid to stay here, we expected more privacy and peace. This really ruined our experience at the W and I wouldn't recommend this hotel to travelers wanting a peaceful place to unwind.

Another aspect that the W could improve on is the cocktail menu. We ordered quite a few drinks and all were mediocre and all paled in comparison with the drinks served at Ku de Ta and Potato head. We were here a year ago when it first opened and can remember the cocktails to be lacking, and a year on it still hasn't improved.

1  Thank aw101
W_Bali_Seminyak, General Manager at W Bali - Seminyak, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2012

Hello aw101,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear that your W Bali Experience was not as expected. You are correct in noting that the W Brand is a 5-star hotel chain and the 4 Retreats do cater to a more exclusive audience. This still rings true at W Bali, however the island destination itself, certainly more so than Maldives, Koh Samui & Vieques, caters to families. The number of families is at its peak when there are school/public holidays. Though we do not have a Kids Club, I will speak with the relevant departments to see where we can better organize activities during these busy times.

Perhaps the next time you come back you can try one of our Marvelous One Bedroom Pool Villas that have more privacy and their own pools. Do let us know if you are returning: gm.craig.seaward@whotels.com.

Craig Seaward

Write a ReviewReviews (3,531)

Reviewed 26 April 2012

Let me start by saying that I would stay here again - we stayed in a one bed WOW Villa and it was gorgeous, the pool was a great size and the room was super workable.

Considering the cost (and the reputation of W Hotels) there was a couple of things I found suprising.

We were obviously there in off season - our Villa was positioned on a 'cross section' of 4 and the other 3 were all undergoing maintenance. It was a little noisy during the day when we liked to use our pool - however the music that we had playing generally covered this - the smell from the paint however was a bit noxious and I would have complained but the solution would have been to move rooms which, after a couple of days doesnt seem all that appealing, and quite frankly I'm not that precious that I'm going to let it preoccupy me and impact on my holiday.

A few previous reviews have mentioned that cleaning times were a bit sporadic - they were - however we called the whatever/whenever service desk when we were going to be out for a while and it would always be done when we got back. When our final bill came we had a bit of confusion over the mini bar as it wasnt restocked every day we were charged each day for the items that were missing - however this was easily resolved when checking out.

A couple of reviews also mention the rather loud air-con...it was super loud, however, it didnt bother me at all as I am an excellent sleeper! and the bed was soooo comfortable.

The breakfasts were fab, though, the first day we went to Fire to be advised that we were actually entitled to the luxury bekkie at the other restaurant as we had a villa - great news, however, 2 days later we had a note in the villa to let us know that we had to go for the Fire breakfast from now on - it was still nice but lacked a few of the extra touches - if we werent entitled to this breakfast I think its a bit tacky to ask us to change mid stay...especially as when we happened past the 'better' restaurant a few days later it was still open for service!

Service from the staff was impeccable - really lovely, friendly and well intentioned. You didn't always get what you asked for but it was delivered with good grace and resolved - the biggest problem I had was with the way that some fellow guests thought it was appropriate to speak to people! Maybe that's what hotel workers have to put up with everywhere but I really noticed it hear - please remember to pack your manners!

We enjoyed the Spa treatment - and the spa facilities were fantastic - yes, i'm sure you can get it cheaper and you can make that call - however we weren't dissapointed - from the start to the end of our treatment it felt like pure indulgence - fabulous. Do note that you can use the steam room and the hot and cold dip pools as a resident at the hotel and not just if you've purchased a treatment - we weren't advised until we went for our massages on the last day so didnt get to do so, but its a nice addition - there is access directly from 'Sweat' the onsite gym.

The communal pools are also gorgeous and beautifully maintained - the beach is not a swimming beach, and not that nice to sit on, so if you like to swim in the sea - this isnt the place to stay.

You can walk along the beach to a few cool bars and restaurants, though its not a very pleasent walk in to Seminyak, I would suggest a cab - and get them to put it on the metre rather than trying to negotiate a price.

1  Thank Georgie L

Hello George L,

We appreciate you posting your review and thank you for your kind words. I agree that there are a lot of things that we do well but there is always room for potential! We pride ourselves on the training of our Talents to be able to cater to all walks of life. This is a lot to take in especially for a lifestyle brand such as W. Thank you for acknowledging their natural hospitality and patience. I would also like to let you know that we appreciate your patience in some of the missteps you encountered and are happy to hear that this did not dissuade your W Bali Experience.

I do hope you return so that we can show you how we continue striving towards our potential. Let us know when you are ready to come back.

Reviewed 25 April 2012

gorgeous views and great lounges..pool area lacks staff and service. Food is OK but not wow.
Had no aircon one night and no answer at desk for help. Rooms ok but need fine tuning ie hooks to hang hand towels more hangers and attention to cleaning. Over all not WOW would i come back probably not.

Room Tip: garden and ocean rooms same just different view for the extra money.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank AustraliaFrancesca

Hello AustraliaFrancesca,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We’re glad to hear that you enjoyed the facilities, but did not find it a WOW experience. I would like to hear more on your issues so I can address them with the specific departments. Please email me at gm.craig.seaward@whotels.com. Our hopes is that when you choose to return we can exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 21 April 2012

We were booked in a 2 bed villa for 11 nights and though they're expensive, we read the reviews here on trip advisor and decided that they were the hotel for us.

We checked out after 3 nights!!!

The villa itself was ok but not very spacious. I asked for an extra bed for the baby, who's too big for a cot, and when they told me how much it was per night, i nearly fell off my chair!!! Needless to say, the baby slept on our bed!!

The pool was very dirty and we had keep asking to have it cleaned but to no avail. there was actually a layer of scum in the pool. I couldn't even let the kids swim in it, we had to go by buggy to the main pool at the acual hotel.

Service here was very poor and very slow, we waited 40 mins for ice and cola, even after 4 calls!!

We moved to C151 villas, also in Seminyak and were extremely happy after that.

5  Thank dubsuz1211
W_Bali_Seminyak, General Manager at W Bali - Seminyak, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2012

Hello dubsuz1211,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor as well as responding to the Starwood Guest Experience Survey. We are sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy your W Experience.

I have discussed this with my team and I believe my Director of Rooms has already been in contact with you in regards to the roll-away bed issue. We apologize for not being able to meet your expectations during your brief stay.

Please feel free to reach out to me if you have any additional feedback you would like to share. gm.craig.seaward@whotels.com.

Reviewed 20 April 2012

My wife and I have stayed at the W twice in less than 12 months. I confess the place certainly is a design spectacle particularly when your arrive at night. It reminds me of the art deco hotels of florida/hawaii you see on tv but with a modern bali feel.

Certainly if you want to make and impression with your other half, book a room facing the ocean, sadly on the most recent stay we were buried away in the bowels of the hotel on the ground floor overlooking a dilapidated construction site.

The facilities as you would expect are first rate. The pool and gymnasium are wonderful and I found the service attentive without being overbearing. I would however remark variety of food on the most recent visit did not appear to be as special as on the first. Nonetheless I'm sure we'll be back. Wonderful hotel in a great location away from the Kuta class.

Room Tip: Book facing the ocean and if yow want to sleep away from the Woobar
2  Thank Vaughan F

Hello Vaughan F,

Thank you for writing returning to W Bali. We are glad to hear that you appreciate the facilities and even though the construction next door was in your sightline, happy to hear that this did not deter you enough to come back again and hopefully again.

Please let us know when you are coming back as we would love to welcome you.

Reviewed 17 April 2012

This hotel is perfect. Love the music next to the pool, the interior design, the staff, the food, the attention to detail (reading glasses and mossie spray on the table for dinner), the cute touches (choice of 2000 mugs to choose from for the morning coffee), the pool for the kids (it has a large step that in 1 foot of water that is great for playing on), the 3 times daily kid's activities, other guests (the kids love meeting other similar kids), the surfing just in front of the hotel, the fabness of the brekkie etc etc Even our 5 year old son loved the flashness of the interior design. The ONLY problem with this hotel is that we have to leave (ah, and the beach is not all that gorgeous but we expected that in Seminyak). It may have ruined my hotel expectations for life, will the next hotel live up to this degree of luxury??????

Room Tip: we had the garden access room and it was vvvv nice. It has 2 queen beds.
1  Thank sue t

Hello sue t,

We’re sorry we ruined your future hotel expectations. But with a review like that – why go to any other hotel? Thank you so much for your kind words. If your 5-year-old appreciates the design & Retreat facilities already, you may be in trouble as I am sure he is hooked! A family of W Ambassadors, fantastic!

We will be so pleased to know when you decide to come back! Just book a longer holiday next time…

Reviewed 17 April 2012

We recently stayed at the W retreat and spa Seminyak. From the minute we walked into the hotel until the minute we left it was PERFECT!!! As soon as we stepped foot into the hotel we new this was going to be an amazing holiday. We got out of our car and were amazed by a stunning view overlooking the ocean and a beautiful pool. Firstly as we checked in we were given a cold washer to wash our faces and a complimentary bottle of cooling spray which was a great gesture. We certainly needed the washers as it was quite hot! We were staying in a spectacular ocean facing room and what a spectacular view we had. Our room was very spacious and absolutely spotless. The bathroom was huge and when you had a shower or bath it was very relaxing. I liked the idea of the wet room. At night it was so peaceful to hear the waves crashing down and i might i add that that was the only noise we heard, it was very quiet so easy to sleep. I loved the way the hotel was set out and decorated. The lounges were very comfortable, relaxing and peaceful to sit in. I loved the way there was chess and checkers set out their. I thought the set out of the candles was beautiful especially at night when they were lit. The fountains around the hotel was great and peaceful to listen to. I also liked how the elevator changed colours. Even the toilets around the hotel felt like they were 5 star. They were always clean and decorated amazingly. The Wired and Words room was great for reading a book or using a computer which was great to keep in touch with family through the internet. The breakfast in the morning at fire was breath-taking. Anything you wanted they would have. The way you can pick your coffee mug was great too. The food their was delicious as was the food at Starfish Bloo. The chef at Starfish Bloo was extremely nice and one night cooked me up a meal which wasn't even on the menu. The pool was very relaxing to swim in and was the perfect size. The hotel was amazing but the best thing about the hotel was the Staff. The staff their were so nice, helpful, kind and always with a smile on there faces and willing to do anything for you. The service that the staff provided was amazing and the best thing about our whole trip. All the staff are so hardworking and are always doing something to make your stay that little bit more special. Wyah and all the staff at fire were always so lovely and very, very nice. Annie the receptionist was also so nice and kind and Made and the people around the pool and towel desk were extremely nice especially Made who always put a smile on my face. Every morning all the rubbish on the beach outside a hotel was always cleared and picked up by staff and looked so tidy. I was their for a week and didn't see one bit of rubbish around the hotel, the hotel grounds or the beach outside our hotel. The Whatever Whenever desk was also great for booking tours an cars and things like that. The gym was great and very spacious. I felt very safe with the security checks and i also loved that as the driveway was long you could get a buggy to the other end. As we were waiting for our car to come and pick us up at the resort to go to the airport we were greeted by the director of rooms who offered us a complimentary drink and snack. As i said the resort and staff were amazing from the day we came to the day we left. This hotel was fantastic and i would recommend it to anyone. It is a must to stay at the W retreat and spa Seminyak. It was the best holiday i have ever had.

2  Thank Grace J

Hello Grace J,

Thank you for your WOW review! I think it pretty much sums up everything we are trying to accomplish. The design, the service, the cuisine – but the Talent’s hospitality comes naturally!

I am sure we have made a lifelong fan of W Bali. We can’t wait to welcome you back.