“Close to absolute Perfect”
Review of W Bali - Seminyak

W Bali - Seminyak
Ranked #19 of 145 Hotels in Seminyak
Haleiwa, Hawaii
“Close to absolute Perfect”
Reviewed 28 April 2012

I had been traveling to Bali for 25 years. I always stayed in nice resorts, and altogether I stay 150 days a year in 4-5 star hotels anywhere in the world.
The W Bali in Seminyak is what I would call a perfect place for a vacation.

Amazing what they did to a relative simple building. The rooms were fantastic, the beds almost as comfortable as the heavenly beds from Westin.

The bathroom alone with the remote control to open the sunroof, the bathtub and rain shower wants you to sink in the bathtub or take some long hot showers in the morning.

Big flat screen TV with international cable channels, the desk, the size of the room- all perfect. I loved the lazy chair outside on the terrace to relax, hear the ocean and the birds overlooking the gardens.
The BOSE entertainment system in all rooms and around the property enhanced the W experience.

The pool alone is a 5 star relaxation- it's almost heaven. The beach is less exotic, and I did not even go there.
The plush chairs, couches along the beach and the pool side were so comfortable - you don't ever wanted to get up.

The breakfast selection was fantastic - the internet was fast and reliable.
I am a fanatic when it comes to good expresso coffee, and the lobby bar was it !

Not really inexpensive, but I loved the Japanese fusion restaurant.

I treated myself to two spa sessions- both fantastic. The spa is brand new and has all the latest/
The staff was extremely nice, efficient and services was from the heart.

I felt very safe. The security was tied, but not only for show - they did an efficient job safeguarding the property and driveways.

Many resorts around the world should learn from W Retreat & Spa Seminyak - close to absolute perfect.

Families, single travelers, couples , gay and straight - and from all over the world. An interesting mix of guests
Make sure to wear sandals around the pool- the cement gets burning hot.

Room Tip: My room was facing the back gardens. Perhaps less of a view, but quiet and exotic.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank eTurboNews
W_Bali_Seminyak, General Manager at W Bali - Seminyak, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
Hello eTurboNews,

Thank you so much for posting your review. From such a seasoned traveler, within the hospitality industry, your words are too kind. You have mentioned all the points we love to rave about and I am glad to see that you enjoyed every facet of your holiday.

Living on an island yourself, you can certainly appreciate the hard work and training that was put into our Retreat. We do hope that we can welcome you back again soon!

Craig Seaward

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (829)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 28 April 2012

We stayed in a one bedroom villa for 5 nights. The villas was very nice and private.

Pros:
- Nice rooms
- Modern and lots of thoughtful amenities in the rooms
- Clean
- Good location near Seminyak for eating out etc

Cons:
- Service was poor. Staff were friendly, but not competent enough. Room service was very slow (often an hour) and orders were always incorrect.
- Check in was very average
- The communal areas are loud. The music from the WooBar drowns out all the other bars and if you are in the other bars you can hear two sets of music, really annoying. Which is why no one is ever in the lobby bar!!!
- We were offered free neck massages but could never use them as the spa was busy! They would keep asking as to come back or try again later. Frankly, it was a waste of our time.
- Food is expensive and not that great. Sounds very good on paper but not delivered well.
- TV reception is poor.
- No in-house movies, they have a DVD system with only few DVDs to rent. Disappointing and annoying service as they are always being rented with other guests.
- The pool is not big enough and not deep enough, Its more like an enormous wading pool. Very odd.
- I think this hotel is going to attract families and more and more children are going to be staying at the hotel. Not great for couples wanting a relaxing time.
- You cannot swim at the beach.

I would not recommend this hotel for a honeymoon. The service is not good enough. Its like any other W Hotel you might find in a city. Not sure it will do well when it runs according to city hotel rules and service when in Bali there are so many villa hotels that offer much better service.

Overall, it was ok, but I would suggest looking elsewhere in Bali. Maybe something in Nusa Dua where you can use the beach.

Room Tip: Stay in a villa facing east so that its not too hot in the afternoon.
1 Thank Dman7878
Hello Dman7878,

We appreciate you posting your feedback about your W Experience. The issues you raise are operational and there is always room for improvement. I will be sure to share your notes with our Team. Though we do have the W DNA throughout the Retreat, the concept is to respect the local design and traditions and give it the W twist.

I truly believe that the Retreat is a great destination for honeymoons as there are so many secret spaces to discover and enjoy. Our location also affords us to be in the middle of all that is happening, while still being able to escape in the Retreat when you want to.

Should you return to Bali, we would be happy to welcome you back.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 27 April 2012

As previously stated in multiple reviews, the W Seminyak features very modern and cutting edge architecture and design. If you are into funky design this hotel will not disappoint. The wow factor is definitely present, and the W has the potential to be a truly luxurious escape.

The multi level pool is amazing, and relaxing in one of the many lounge chairs is a great way to unwind. The only factor that we disliked was the many kids that were present. The W markets itself as a high end hotel, a designer escape from the craziness of Bali. However while trying to relax by the pool we were subjected to about twenty kids screaming and splashing water in our direction, so much so that I had to verbally complain. This really ruined the atmosphere and the serenity and peace that we were expecting from the W. The noise of kids screaming while trying to have a relaxing day by the pool was the last thing we expected from a hotel that markets itself as a retreat. For those travelers without children the last thing that we want to be subjected to while on holidays is to be surrounded by children screaming!

I would recommend the W limit the amount of families staying there or have designated kid areas that are well away from the main pool so that people who wish to relax can have a chance to without the noise. Considering the prices that we paid to stay here, we expected more privacy and peace. This really ruined our experience at the W and I wouldn't recommend this hotel to travelers wanting a peaceful place to unwind.

Another aspect that the W could improve on is the cocktail menu. We ordered quite a few drinks and all were mediocre and all paled in comparison with the drinks served at Ku de Ta and Potato head. We were here a year ago when it first opened and can remember the cocktails to be lacking, and a year on it still hasn't improved.

1 Thank aw101
Hello aw101,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear that your W Bali Experience was not as expected. You are correct in noting that the W Brand is a 5-star hotel chain and the 4 Retreats do cater to a more exclusive audience. This still rings true at W Bali, however the island destination itself, certainly more so than Maldives, Koh Samui & Vieques, caters to families. The number of families is at its peak when there are school/public holidays. Though we do not have a Kids Club, I will speak with the relevant departments to see where we can better organize activities during these busy times.

Perhaps the next time you come back you can try one of our Marvelous One Bedroom Pool Villas that have more privacy and their own pools. Do let us know if you are returning: gm.craig.seaward@whotels.com.

Sydney
Reviewed 26 April 2012

Let me start by saying that I would stay here again - we stayed in a one bed WOW Villa and it was gorgeous, the pool was a great size and the room was super workable.

Considering the cost (and the reputation of W Hotels) there was a couple of things I found suprising.

We were obviously there in off season - our Villa was positioned on a 'cross section' of 4 and the other 3 were all undergoing maintenance. It was a little noisy during the day when we liked to use our pool - however the music that we had playing generally covered this - the smell from the paint however was a bit noxious and I would have complained but the solution would have been to move rooms which, after a couple of days doesnt seem all that appealing, and quite frankly I'm not that precious that I'm going to let it preoccupy me and impact on my holiday.

A few previous reviews have mentioned that cleaning times were a bit sporadic - they were - however we called the whatever/whenever service desk when we were going to be out for a while and it would always be done when we got back. When our final bill came we had a bit of confusion over the mini bar as it wasnt restocked every day we were charged each day for the items that were missing - however this was easily resolved when checking out.

A couple of reviews also mention the rather loud air-con...it was super loud, however, it didnt bother me at all as I am an excellent sleeper! and the bed was soooo comfortable.

The breakfasts were fab, though, the first day we went to Fire to be advised that we were actually entitled to the luxury bekkie at the other restaurant as we had a villa - great news, however, 2 days later we had a note in the villa to let us know that we had to go for the Fire breakfast from now on - it was still nice but lacked a few of the extra touches - if we werent entitled to this breakfast I think its a bit tacky to ask us to change mid stay...especially as when we happened past the 'better' restaurant a few days later it was still open for service!

Service from the staff was impeccable - really lovely, friendly and well intentioned. You didn't always get what you asked for but it was delivered with good grace and resolved - the biggest problem I had was with the way that some fellow guests thought it was appropriate to speak to people! Maybe that's what hotel workers have to put up with everywhere but I really noticed it hear - please remember to pack your manners!

We enjoyed the Spa treatment - and the spa facilities were fantastic - yes, i'm sure you can get it cheaper and you can make that call - however we weren't dissapointed - from the start to the end of our treatment it felt like pure indulgence - fabulous. Do note that you can use the steam room and the hot and cold dip pools as a resident at the hotel and not just if you've purchased a treatment - we weren't advised until we went for our massages on the last day so didnt get to do so, but its a nice addition - there is access directly from 'Sweat' the onsite gym.

The communal pools are also gorgeous and beautifully maintained - the beach is not a swimming beach, and not that nice to sit on, so if you like to swim in the sea - this isnt the place to stay.

You can walk along the beach to a few cool bars and restaurants, though its not a very pleasent walk in to Seminyak, I would suggest a cab - and get them to put it on the metre rather than trying to negotiate a price.

1 Thank Georgie L
Hello George L,

We appreciate you posting your review and thank you for your kind words. I agree that there are a lot of things that we do well but there is always room for potential! We pride ourselves on the training of our Talents to be able to cater to all walks of life. This is a lot to take in especially for a lifestyle brand such as W. Thank you for acknowledging their natural hospitality and patience. I would also like to let you know that we appreciate your patience in some of the missteps you encountered and are happy to hear that this did not dissuade your W Bali Experience.

I do hope you return so that we can show you how we continue striving towards our potential. Let us know when you are ready to come back.

australia
Reviewed 25 April 2012

gorgeous views and great lounges..pool area lacks staff and service. Food is OK but not wow.
Had no aircon one night and no answer at desk for help. Rooms ok but need fine tuning ie hooks to hang hand towels more hangers and attention to cleaning. Over all not WOW would i come back probably not.

Room Tip: garden and ocean rooms same just different view for the extra money.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank AustraliaFrancesca
Hello AustraliaFrancesca,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We’re glad to hear that you enjoyed the facilities, but did not find it a WOW experience. I would like to hear more on your issues so I can address them with the specific departments. Please email me at gm.craig.seaward@whotels.com. Our hopes is that when you choose to return we can exceed your expectations.

Dubai
Reviewed 21 April 2012

We were booked in a 2 bed villa for 11 nights and though they're expensive, we read the reviews here on trip advisor and decided that they were the hotel for us.

We checked out after 3 nights!!!

The villa itself was ok but not very spacious. I asked for an extra bed for the baby, who's too big for a cot, and when they told me how much it was per night, i nearly fell off my chair!!! Needless to say, the baby slept on our bed!!

The pool was very dirty and we had keep asking to have it cleaned but to no avail. there was actually a layer of scum in the pool. I couldn't even let the kids swim in it, we had to go by buggy to the main pool at the acual hotel.

Service here was very poor and very slow, we waited 40 mins for ice and cola, even after 4 calls!!

We moved to C151 villas, also in Seminyak and were extremely happy after that.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank dubsuz1211
W_Bali_Seminyak, General Manager at W Bali - Seminyak, responded to this review, 24 April 2012
Hello dubsuz1211,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor as well as responding to the Starwood Guest Experience Survey. We are sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy your W Experience.

I have discussed this with my team and I believe my Director of Rooms has already been in contact with you in regards to the roll-away bed issue. We apologize for not being able to meet your expectations during your brief stay.

Please feel free to reach out to me if you have any additional feedback you would like to share. gm.craig.seaward@whotels.com.

Perth
Reviewed 20 April 2012

My wife and I have stayed at the W twice in less than 12 months. I confess the place certainly is a design spectacle particularly when your arrive at night. It reminds me of the art deco hotels of florida/hawaii you see on tv but with a modern bali feel.

Certainly if you want to make and impression with your other half, book a room facing the ocean, sadly on the most recent stay we were buried away in the bowels of the hotel on the ground floor overlooking a dilapidated construction site.

The facilities as you would expect are first rate. The pool and gymnasium are wonderful and I found the service attentive without being overbearing. I would however remark variety of food on the most recent visit did not appear to be as special as on the first. Nonetheless I'm sure we'll be back. Wonderful hotel in a great location away from the Kuta class.

Room Tip: Book facing the ocean and if yow want to sleep away from the Woobar
2 Thank Vaughan F
Hello Vaughan F,

Thank you for writing returning to W Bali. We are glad to hear that you appreciate the facilities and even though the construction next door was in your sightline, happy to hear that this did not deter you enough to come back again and hopefully again.

Please let us know when you are coming back as we would love to welcome you.