“It is WOW”
Review of W Bali - Seminyak

W Bali - Seminyak
Ranked #19 of 148 Hotels in Seminyak
Reviewed 10 February 2013

I arrived at this hotel at 11:00 am to wonderful, helpful and friendly staff. The foya was a typical open area balanese style with western decor. I was immediately taken to my room as it was available, we hired a Villa with our own pool. It was fantastic!

The room decor was superb, greens and creams. The bed was comfortable with wonderfully comfortable pillows. The bedroom overlooked our pool and courtyard area magnificently kept. The bathroom had a huge two person bath, you have to bring nothing, body butter, toothbrush, makeup remover and eye makeup remover, all supplied, as well as the usual shampoo and conditioner.

Imagine, swimming in your totally private pool late at night with frangipani flowers dropping in the pool around you - it does not get anymore romatic.

The spa was beautiful, and perhaps one of the best massages I have ever experienced. The restaurants were interesting and the decor inspiring. I had dinner one night at the bar while watching the sun set, I ordered a green mando salad and questioned if it would be large enough - the waiter told me not to worry, and out came a pizza to bulk up the salad, on the house. This is just one example of the quality of service you get here. The egg bar at breakfast was the best I have ever been too, and the amazingly fast, the eggs were waiting for me by the time I did the rounds of the buffet.

On my birthday - not told to anyone - a cake arrived at my Villa attached with balloons and staff singing Happy Birthday! Ilmay, (please excuse the spelling) the deliverer of the cake always greated me and would drop me "wherever and whatever" I wanted to go or do. This hotel goes to any extent to make your trip special.

I have stayed in luxury hotels before but this hotel takes excellence to another level. I thank all the staff from the gardener who dropped my husband at the villa because he became hopelessly lost, to DK the buggy guy who always had a smile and a greeting. This hotel is superbly run and a credit to the W Hotel group. I cannot image staying anywhere else.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
CraigSeaward1, General Manager at W Bali - Seminyak, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2013

Hello Marlzi,

Thank you for your feedback.

It's with great delight I read your comments. It does sound like you managed to enjoy the W experiences and the restaurants and venues at W Bali.

I will pass your comments back to our talent who will be happy to hear they assisted in making your stay with us a memorable one.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Craig Seaward

Write a ReviewReviews (3,523)

Reviewed 10 February 2013

We booked to stay at the W Bali over the Xmas period and having booked one of their Extreme Wow Three Bedroom villas, we were hopeful of a decent level of accommodation and service. Our points of reference are generally Asian Four Seasons and Aman resorts. We were 4 adults (in their early 40s and 60s) plus two children of 2 & 5.
On arrival from HK, the hotel had arranged express pass-through at Denpasar (at my request and $25 per head) and I highly recommend this as the weekend before Xmas it was very busy. With kids coming off a flight of any distance being rushed through the crowds was a Godsend. Car waiting it took about an hour through the heavy traffic to the resort.
After about a 10min wait to check in, we were on our way by buggy to the villa. We knew the layout before arriving and it all looked pretty much as expected except that the living area, an open plan tv, sofa, dining area with attached kitchen was much larger than we expected. There is also a kitchen behind the master bedroom.
I think first impressions are Wow but it was not long before the niggles became apparent.
First, when we were briefly shown around the villa we all asked if the aircon was normally that loud - which was clearly a question others had asked. Friends in another villa confirmed they had also asked. So prepare yourselves. The best I can describe it is that even at the lowest setting, it is a bit like being on an aeroplane. For those who prefer a quiet sleep, this is not the place for you or else bring your earplugs. The extensive use of glass ceilings in the master bedroom means that the aircon needs to be on full to make any impact.
By the following morning, I'd asked to see the resort director of residential services ("DORS " who had greeted us at our villa when we arrived) to go through a number of issues: the lighting outside was just too dark at night ("it's supposed to be romantic") but the fact that many of the light switches did not seem to do anything and that the lights in each of the bedrooms seemed impossible to work out with some switches not working or working intermittently, it's clear the problem is more widespread. The issue with the electrics was then most shockingly borne out when in one of the jacuzzi areas of the main resort pool I found something under my foot. You can imagine my horror to reach down to find an 18" length of electrical cable with two bare wires poking out the end! The other end disappeared into the floor if the pool in an area surrounded by small lights embedded in the floor between air outlets. I am no electrician but you don't need to be to know that live or not, that is just plain wrong. I reported it to one of the pool staff who promptly told me it was nothing to worry about as we then watched troops of pool staff subtly try to inspect the wire over the next hour or so. I am in the pool with my children and of course I am concerned for their safety. The following day, in the jacuzzi area next to the one with the bare wire I found a whole light fitting dislodged along with wiring trailing behind it but, I hate to say it, by now I was getting somewhat blasé about some of the finishing issues around the resort.
So anyway, following my meeting with the DORS, within moments she had arranged to have the various lighting issues fixed, the clearly dirty sink areas in one of the rooms cleaned, etc and had people in the villa for the next few hours. The result was pretty much that they did all they could but really not much of an improvement. The dark pool area was clearly not going to get better as we watched one of the workmen take one of the lights out if the pool deck area and on seeing the connecting wires bare but clearly not connected to anything, he taped up the bare ends and put the light back into the hole from which it came. Last time i checked, unless a light is connected to power, it will not work.
The pool itself while of a decent size had a very visible dusty sediment at the bottom. Which created clouds on the bottom as you walked across it. It had clearly not been vacuumed and together with the green fungus growing on the sides around the water line there is clearly a lack of quality maintenance here too.
Other gripes include room service always saying they will get the food to you within 30mins but only on the last day did they come close at nearer 40mins but it was consistently 45 mins or more. And when it did arrive, it was a bit if a comedy if there had been any thought about the number of plates glasses etc. so side plates and butter might come but no bread or water for four but only two glasses. And in the case of a couple if pizzas we ordered ( on separate occasions) neither would leave most professional kitchens as they were too burnt. Of course we wanted to return them but when it's for kids and they've already waited 45mins, a hasty trim around the edge seemed the most practical thing to do. Service is generally pretty slow at the outlets too with the one exception being (surprisingly) at the bar (woo bar ) where food was quite quick to come out.
We'd read a lot about the food before arriving and it was set up to be fantastic but I think we all agreed it was ok but nothing special. We were there over Xmas and there were a lot of flies and I mean a lot. Maybe it was wind direction but eating at Starfish Bloo always involved a good amount of a waiving just to try to keep them at bay with little success.
The resort did claim to have kids activities but these were a bit of a joke. Archery on the beach at 1pm in Bali? Waaaay to hot. And the bubble activity for our 2 yr old didn't happen on time (10am) because they were "preparing". At 10.15, one of the staff comes out with a bottle of bubble mix, 3 plastic bowls and 3 bubble wands like you would get if you bought it at a corner shop and hands it to us. That's it. No organisation required. Pathetic. Other drawing and colouring events were similarly disappointing. Thank goodness for the pool which, despite its electrical hazards, the children loved.
Anyway, after about Wednesday of our Saturday to Saturday stay, we were kind of resigned to the situation and managed to accept it for what it was: a different type of holiday for us and one which was falling short of our usual expectations and therefore an experience not to be repeated.
Then on Friday, I ran into the DORS from day two who asked if everything was all ironed out and I told her I appreciated she did her best but that clearly there were some more significant issues around the finishing and snagging at the property which two years on anyone would have expected to be well ironed out. The lighting situation had been partially addressed but not entirely and as time had passed we had become more aware of other shortcomings like the state of the pool, the lack of restocking of the minibar, the pace of room service and clean up thereafter ( one time they just didn't show up). At this point the resort manager appears to give his apologies for the situation and I tell him we are happy just to get on with the rest of our holiday - we really just didn't want to be disturbed. But that wasn't clear enough. About 30 mins later, my parents in law appear looking for us because another group of maintenance and cleaning staff had descended upon the villa again, disturbing their time at the villa. This really was not fair and a good example of management just not listening. By the time we returned a couple of hours later, there was a pool cleaner packing up but we still had to tell an electrician to leave so we could get the children ready for bed. The following morning, despite our DND sign being on so we could pack before leaving after lunch, as we left for breakfast, the maintenance staff were there trying to get in again! Very annoying and frankly a week too late.
One thing I forgot to mention was that for some reason, the resort chose this week to renovate a temple in a square around which the largest villas are located. Coming from HK where we are consistently surrounded by construction, we were really looking forward to the peace and tranquility of Bali. Alas, most of the days we were there, there was drilling and stone cutting happening just outside our villa. :-(.
So, in short, we won't be going back and although I got an apologetic email from the manager not long after we left with an offer of some compensation in the form of points on my account, I don't feel so obliged to accept them. We paid for a W experience and it just fell well short of what we expected on so many counts. I want to say it's a 2.5 but a 3 seems too generous so it gets a 2. All that said, the staff were all very friendly as the Balinese are and it remains a wonderful island to visit, I'd just choose somewhere else next time.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank AsianTravelJedi
CraigSeaward1, General Manager at W Bali - Seminyak, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2013

Hello AsianTravelJedi,

Thank you for your sharing your constructive feedback.

I am sorry for the issues which you experienced with the lighting and blinds in your room. This has since been investigated and resolved by the Engineering department and I apologise for any inconvenience which I understand was very frustrating.

I would like to further discuss the problems you encountered with us so please do reach out to me directly - craig.seaward@whotels.com

Reviewed 8 February 2013

My partner & I had an Awesome time..
The design of W is v.Trendy.. View from our room on top floor was just Stunning {watching the Sunset/Sunrise} - comfortable - tranquil setting... Woo Bar was relaxing, {champ/strawberry cocktail was v.nice} - funky - laid back.. Food was Superb@StarFishBloo, french.australian. asian cuisine - semi private table setting was very romantic - open ocean view - kapai to our waiters... Well Done W

Hello Karen M,

Thank you for your feedback.

It's great to hear that you had an awesome stay with us. I am glad you took the chance to enjoy the W cocktail culture and the beats of Woobar.

We look forward to welcoming you back for another W experience.

Warm wishes,

Reviewed 8 February 2013

Arriving at the W on a business trip my first thought was "and we're expected to work here..?"

The W in Bali is probably the most gorgeous, well-managed hotel I've stayed at on the island, with well-designed amazing facilities, interesting restaurants and a lively bar that actually holds up the reputation of the W as an exciting party destination.

While it is pricier than many other hotels in Seminyak, one can easily see the difference in the quality. My room was very comfortable, very large and very well appointed, the condition immaculate with all the modern amenities you would expect from a W hotel. The open concept bath was a marvel, with well-chosen quality toiletries offered in abundance. Even at a higher price point, I felt that the W definitely offered great value in return.

The room and on-ground service staff were wonderful, friendly and proactive in meeting every need. You will be served very well. You will be pampered.

If you're looking for a fun, exciting and stylish modern hotel, the W definitely lives up to its reputation. An excellent choice for couples and groups looking to indulge in luxurious surroundings. Do not bring your kids. Be selfish and enjoy.

(On a side note I did manage to get work done, while looking enviously out at the other guests laughing and sipping cocktails by the pool. Overall they were having an amazing experience.)

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
CraigSeaward1, General Manager at W Bali - Seminyak, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2013

Hi Dante A,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on youe recent stay with us.

I am happy to hear that you had an awesome stay at W Bali and enjoyed our venues whilst finding the time to attend to business.

We look forward to welcoming you back for more indulgent poolside moments!

Reviewed 6 February 2013

I travelled with two friends, so three of us all up. We booked into the three bedroom villa. Staying here was almost like a fantasy. The garden was a masterpiece, an absolute landscape. The 90 metre pool was divine for a paddle. The entire outside setup was ideal. We had friends in Bali as well, whom visited us at the hotel. We entertained with the hotel chef whom with us made a menu, and catered at our room with the BBQ.

The living areas were stunning, watching the sunset from the lounge room was beautiful. We each had our own room which was great. All the rooms had LED TV's, and were sooooo comfortable.

The attention to detail is comforting, the hotel is nothing but accommodating and no request is to much.

Food was divine as well!

I recommend this hotel whole-heartidly and enjoyed the 7 nights here. It was heaven in Bali.

Room Tip: Villas are the way to go!
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank ChristianPe16

Hello Twenties_Traveller13,

Thank for your feedback.

It's with great pleasure to read that you had a fantastic time with us. It does sound like you found the time to experience and indulge in the delights of W Bali.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Paradise again.

Reviewed 4 February 2013

Absolutely loved this resort, it's just like all the other W resorts in the world, very modern with excellent service. We stayed in the Wonderful ocean view room, which was fantastic, such beautiful views and quite spacious. I've stayed at many resorts on the island and this is defiantly my favourite, so much so my partner and I will be getting married at the W next june :) Looking forward to my next stay there.

Hello Twentytwoo,

Thank you for sharing your feedback.

I am extremely pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are delighted that you have chosen W Bali to host your wedding and hosting such a special occassion.

We look forward to welcoming you back next year.

Reviewed 4 February 2013

Currently spending six nights at the W, and have to comment on the W brand. The hotel is only 2 years old and as you would expect with a five star property it has all the amenities, but W just seem to do it better. Their attention to detail, customer focus, quality services makes me a W convert; I just can't get enough! It's all in the W detail. How the staff are trained to remember your name, recommend food, anticipate your needs is first class. I must congratulate Michael the food and beverage manager on a job well done.
Finally, I should comment on Dino, the recently promoted customer relations staffer, who's role it is to help guest get the most enjoyment from there stay. Well done W.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the main pool area, it's quieter.
3  Thank Aussie12Syd

Hello Aussie12Syd,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

I am delighted to hear that your time with us exceeded your expectations. I will feed back your kind comments to our talent who will happy to hear that they assisted in making your stay a memorable one.

We look forward to welcoming you back for another WOW stay at W Retreat & Spa Bali.