“Great Hotel”
Review of W Bali - Seminyak

W Bali - Seminyak
Ranked #20 of 147 Hotels in Seminyak
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I recently spent 5 days at the W retreat and spa in Seminyak and was completely satisfied with the hotel and its staff. The rooms were clean, the staff was attentive, and the overall service was excellent. During my stay I ate at both restaurants (Starfish Bloo and Fire) and found the food to be very good and the prices to be reasonable. Overall, I was very pleased with all the prices at the resort and did not cringe when I ordered drinks by the pool.

Before booking the hotel, I had read some of the previous reviews on Tripadvisor and must say that I did not have any of the negative experiences or impressions that other guests had. The hotel was up to date and very clean, the whenever / whatever phone was always answered, and the music from the Woobar did not keep me up all night (there was a DJ one night until 3 am and I did not hear anything in my room - across the pool from the bar).

The pool at the hotel is really great. It was never very crowded and I was always able to get a lounge chair no matter the time of day. There were plenty of people there to serve you and the wireless from the hotel worked very well at the pool. The beach, like most beaches in Bali, was dirty. The hotel did their best to keep it clean, but they are fighting a never-ending battle. During my visit the water was too rough to swim in and the hotel does not have chairs on the actual beach.

There were a mix of people at the hotel from couples to families to groups of singles. I would say that all were welcome, though I typically would expect the W to attract more couples and groups of singles.

The area around the hotel is great with lots of bars and restaurants in walking distance. There is also a minimart right outside the entrance where you can stock up on snacks and drinks if you like. Taxis are readily available, but I never had the need other than to go to the airport.

I had stayed in Bali in 2012 at the Four Seasons Jimbaran, and while I enjoyed that visit, I would choose the W retreat over the Four Seasons in an instant because of location and value for the money.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jeff H
CraigSeaward1, General Manager at W Bali - Seminyak, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Hello Jeff H,

Thank you for sharing your constructive feedback. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. It does sound like you found the time to enjoy our Restaurants and venues and the colourful playground of Seminyak.

We do look forward to welcoming you back W Bali soon.

There are newer reviews for W Bali - Seminyak

Reviewed 2 February 2014

Just had a fantastic time at W Resort. All was just amazing from service to food and set up!!! We spent several days celebrating our father's 60 birthday and the W Family just made everything possible to make this moment memorable! I strongly recommend this resort in Bali

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank kevin_bauwens
CraigSeaward1, General Manager at W Bali - Seminyak, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

Hello KevinB,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am delighted to hear that you chose to celebrate your family gathering at W Bali and we exceeded your expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon for more WOW moments.

Reviewed 1 February 2014

$50 sunday brunch here well worth it ,nice selection of foods and soft drinks only, the service is fantastic , tthe setting right on the beach, you can use the pool and the facilities aswell, he sunsets are marvellous too

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank tomtom09

Hello tomtom09,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent visit to W. I am delighted to hear you experienced brunch at Starfish bloo, where our culinary delights meet a spectacular backdrop.

We do look forward to welcoming you back and hope you chose W Bali as your choice of accommodation upon your next visit.

Craig seaward

Reviewed 1 February 2014

This resort was incredible. I've never stayed at a hotel/resort that made you feel like a kid discovering all the little little things.
The restaurants were fantastic and the staff really friendly. Restaurants seemed reasonably priced (not cheap for Bali).
Our room was simply amazing, from the time you walk in there's so much to explore. the bathroom was massive. Loved the music that was playing on the Bose system, wish I had bought the CD.
SPA - we had a couples treatments and it was 3 hours of amazing. really loved the spa, never seen anything like it before.
Breakfast - love that restaurant, lots of great food options.
Pool - superb pool, loved lounging around in it.

Only pity is you couldn't swim at the beach here. Would definitely go back and a very nice start for our first W experience.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Hello Travellerlaw80,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am delighted to hear that you had a fantastic stay with us. I am happy you found the time to enjoy our restaurants and venues.

We do look forward to welcoming you back for more indulgent and relaxing moments.

Reviewed 29 January 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at the W from 28 Dec to 2nd Jan.
We stayed in a 1bedroom pool villa.
The pool villas are located a short walk away (furthest one probably takes 5 minutes brisk walk from reception). No need to walk though as there is always boys available to drive you in the golf carts they use to buggy guests to and from their villa.
The hotel has some great artwork and their are things to look at everywhere like coffee table books, art installations etc you can sit on one area and play chess or another area is just for looking out over the pools and ocean. All very comfortable lounges and beanbags everywhere!
The villa was very private and immaculate.
There are many nice touches like little arrival cupcakes, mozzie coils outside, great slippers, bath loafers, good enough products (although for 700 a night I thought the products might be a bit better).
The beds are beautiful and comfortable and the sound system fantastic with adjustable indoor and outdoor speakers.
We asked staff for some blow up pool beds and they lent us some within the hour proving their them of whatever, whenever really works.
The breakfasts (either restaurant) are amazing with so many choices you could never try everything. The pick your own mug for your coffee (pick from dog mugs, flag mugs, plain mugs etc) at Fire restaurant is very cute.
The Woo Bar out the back is very cool and is a great place to sip cocktails and watch the sunset. On NYE they put on a huge party and the set up was amazing.
The Spa is open 24/7 and has so many things like 2 plunge pools, oxygen masks, sauna, its own bar, a relax room then the treatments which you can arrange for any of the the day. Prices at the W are not cheap so dont expect to get a massage for less than $80AUD per hour.
The location is good if you want to walk to a couple of great restaurants ie Sarong or Metih Purih but it is located just out of Main Street of Seminyak so its a good 20 minutes + walk back into street where you get can cheap massages, clothes shopping, cheaper eats etc.
The only thing that I didnt like about The W was the beach and this is hardly their fault. In January every morning a heap of rubbish is washed up onto the beach like cans and bottles and coconuts and toothbrushes etc etc etc it is really sad to see. Some of the other hotels down the beach look like they employee people to clean it up every day but apparently the tides at that time of the year keep steady rubbish flowing in. So no swimming at the beach and even walking on it was pretty sad. Fortunately you can really enjoy yourself at The W no matter what time of year with their multiple pools, great villas and food so it didnt matter to us to much.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FionaMearon

Hello FionaMearon,

Thank you for sharing your constructive feedback, it is extremely helpful to gain such an insight from our guests. I am happy to hear that you chose to spend the festive season at W Bali. It does sound like you found the time to enjoy the colourful playground of our retreat and all that is on offer.

We look forward to welcoming you back and our talent will be ready to wow you once again.

Reviewed 29 January 2014

This place is great. Did not want to leave. Restuarants and room service were great. Staff are so friendly! Rooms are fantastic , villas unbelievable. Pool scene is really nice also. Recommend to anyone that wants to stay at a nice place in seminyak, could not think of one reason why you wouldn't love it! Thanks W , we will be back!!!!!!

• Stayed: January 2014
CraigSeaward1, General Manager at W Bali - Seminyak, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2014

Hello Stellacoops,

Thank you for sharing your constructive feedback. I am delighted to hear that you had a fantastic stay at W Bali.

We look forward to welcoming you back for your next wow moment.

Reviewed 28 January 2014

We stayed two nights here using Starwood points upon arriving in Bali. We initially booked the basic garden view room, but after some debate decided to use more points to upgrade to the ocean view. The garden view just felt like we could be in a W anywhere and I didn't fly half way around the world to feel like I was in New York. While the rooms and the grounds are pretty amazing, it all felt a little contrived, like it could have been Miami or Vegas. One night I was awake until 2 am being driven nuts by the thumping base coming from the outdoor bar. In retrospect, we wish we'd only stayed there one night to get settled before heading to Ubud which has so much more character than Seminyak. That said if you don't mind a clubby kind of place, the staff is lovely, the food was expensive but good, and the room is comfortable and impressive.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank emily z
CraigSeaward1, General Manager at W Bali - Seminyak, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Hello emily Z,

Many thanks for your Trip Advisor review as it’s always good to get a balanced view point from guests who have stayed and tried the W experience, and we are sorry that you did not enjoy your experience the way we hoped you would, but we are a very different type of hotel to others here in Bali, or within the W brand.

The Hotel has so many Balinese aspects within the property, and the architects, SCDA, are award winning designers based in Singapore who spent a lot of time incorporating the Hindu culture throughout the Retreat, for which we have received many awards and accolades to date. All of these are a very modern interpretation to what you may find at traditional Balinese hotels, and these elements are found all over the property from the Balinese style open plan living in the villas, the village environment of the villa and retreat gardens, the Oasis traditional Balinese Unkel Unkel and water ponds, to the rice field swimming pools, and Kecak dance inspired design of Fire Restaurant, the traditional Balinese daily parade, to all the design features in the rooms, flying pigs, public space elements and talent uniforms. Whilst these are in a modern format we do respect that these may not appeal to all our guests, who may look for traditional aspects in their hotel experience.

Our passion points are design, fashion and music and the retreat has been built around these elements as well as “conceal and reveal”, what you see and what you don’t see, an important part of the Balinese culture of Sekala and Niscala.

I do hope that that your next trip to Bali offers up that more cultural experience that you were looking for.