“Unbelievable...” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #25 of 141 Hotels in Seminyak
Mumbai
“Unbelievable...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

This is one of the best hotels i've stayed in my life... From the hotel Entrance to the rooms everything was top notch.

Check in was quick,but the check time is at 3 so had to wait about an hour.

The hotel has Superb modern interiors, spacious rooms, all rooms have a Bose sound system, the lobby looks stunning with all the led lighting around, unmatchable service, excellent pool area always lively, very friendly staff.

Woobar was really nice..

The moment i entered the hotel never felt like going out of the hotel for anything.

Away Spa... Interiors of this place is just WOW.. Unbelievable...open 24hrs
But was not too impress with the spa i did not worth the money and everything was too pricey.

But overall excellent stay... surely will come back..

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CraigSeaward1, General Manager at W Bali - Seminyak, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Hello AlokBaval,

Thank you for sharing your constructive feedback. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your W Bali experience and the design narrative of the hotel.

We do look forward to welcioming you back to W Bali for more wow moments.

Craig Seaward

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (785)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

I stayed in W two times in one week. I love it.
+: Very good location; cool design of entrance:water, fire; bright colors everywhere; friendly and helpful staff; nice view from the room; music surrounds; clean rooms; modern pompous shisha; stylish pool; I like idea in Spa - oxygen
-: not the best food - the best was to order in room, spa - I ve been couple of times and once it was terrible, masseuse didn't know what to do with my body at all...
For me only this hotel is really cool in Bali

Room Tip: The best view and the best room - WOW suite
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Hello Julia K,

Thank you for sharing your constructive feedback. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your W Bali experience. It does disappoint me to hear that our range of culinary delights was not to your liking, between Starfish, FIRE and IRD we do offer a vast amount of choices. I will revert back to our Away Spa team to make them aware that you were not statisfied with your away spa treatment.

We look forward to welcoming you back and please do reach out ot me upon your next visit so I can assure that your away spa experience is to the standard I would expect.

Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

Loved the hotel when I first stayed here last year. However, this is my second time one year later and I have some things to say about the W experience.

1) The in-house CD has not changed after a year. Same old music a year ago, that's boring!

2) Foie is on the breakfast menu but not available for 4 days that I stayed there. The fresh honeycomb that was available last time is also gone.

3) We were put into villa 90 in the beginning, but the aircon was malfunctioning. We were there about 4-5 hours in the heat before being switched to another villa! We were given 2 free martinis in compensation.

4) There is some sort of morning bird gathering at the W villas. All 4 days I woke up to a bunch of birds chirping non-stop. Got up and yelled at them and they flew away, only to come back about half hour later. I then went out and threw a stirrer at the birds, then they flew away but came back again!! Someone needs to do a bird hunting. It was difficult to have good sleep with these birds!

5) love the location, staff was great.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank pinkfacedbunny
CraigSeaward1, General Manager at W Bali - Seminyak, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Hello pinkfacedbunny,

Thank you for sharing your feedback, it is useful to gain such insight. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your W Bali experience and chose to return. Our global music director is currently producing a new symmetry CD which we look forward to sharing with you upon your next visit. I will revert back to our rooms department regarding the birds and we will see this rectified to prevent further inconvenience to guests.

We do look forward to welcoming you back to W Bali and will ensure that you depart having felt the Wow factor!

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

Now I admit to not being a great lover of the W Hotel concept and find it all a bit too fake and unreal.
Maybe it's my age (a young 47) but its generally full of young beautiful people who are more interested in looking good than serving you and playing loud music into the early hours.
So I have to admit to being a little surprised by my visit to the W Bali

Firstly the positives:
Great location with amazing views not too far from the airport.
Met personally by the General Manager, Craig, who went out of his way to say hello probably due to my partners SPG Platinum status but still a nice gesture. Lobby bar for drinks at night was amazing with beautiful big sofas looking out over the pool to the sea. Room large with good facilities and large balcony with sea views. Breakfast and all the restaurants generally good with very friendly and helpful staff who remembered our names from day one.
Now the negatives :
This should not be labelled a retreat as it is far from that! The loud music from the pool bar until 1 or 2 am is it not conducive to sleeping if you have come to relax!!
By far the worst part for me were the hoards of screaming and wild children roaming the place which is again what you don't expect when you want somewhere to get away from the hustle and bustle of every day life. Even though there was clearly a kids pool it's was never used and wherever you went for peace and quiet it was interrupted.
In terms of a recommendation it was ok. Not the worst W I have stayed in but certainly not as good as the W in Barcelona.
I personally think it is very overpriced and overhyped for what it is especially when you pay the same at the St Regis Bali but if you don't mind the noise, kids and some fake smiles give it ago.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank WilliamR1967
Hello WilliamR1967,

Thank you for sharing your constructive feedback. I am happy to hear that enjoyed your W Bali experience but a little disappointed to hear that you didn't enjoy the overall experience of W Retreat & Spa Bali.

I can understand that at times it can be quite challenging to control DJ’s performances. However, I would like to assure you that we take the feedback of our guests seriously and do ensure that the sound is controlled and kept to a minimum after 10pm.

We are always looking for ways to improve upon on our guests’ experiences and will continue to do so. I do hope you will choose to return to W Bali in the future.

Kansas City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

I recently stayed at the W Retreat & Spa Bali for 5 nights in a Marvelous Suite, and can't say enough good things about this property. Every experience with a member of the team was top notch and they made all requests seem effortless - in a good way. SPG should send all their managers to this resort for a tutorial on how to run a hotel. My hats off to the GM. Breakfast at Starfish Bloo was a fantastic way to start the day, and the food never got monotous. Service at the pool was first rate with random surprises throughout the day (treats, misting, cool towel, sunglasses cleaned). The suite and resort common areas were stunning. I could really go on and on, but won't. Do yourself a favor and go experience this gem first hand! I was sad to leave...

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello Mjz_kc,

Thank you for sharing your constructive feedback. I really am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at W Retreat & Spa Bali and that you experienced our Whatever/whenver service culture first hand.

We do look forward to welcoming you back soon for more wow moments.

Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

I stayed in Sofitel (now Royal Beach Seminyak) the last time I was here with my mom. My mom loves the experience in Bali and Seminyak so much that I decided to splurge a little by treating her and my aunt for another of such experience. After reading all reviews on tripadvisor, I decided to give this W hotel a try instead of returning to Sofitel. Boy, I feel cheated and definitely regretted my decision.

After spending two nights in Ubud at Komaneka, our expectations were raised higher knowing a night stay in W hotel is equivalent to almost two nights in Komaneka. When we arrived at the lobby, the attendant was quick and polite in attending to our luggages and greeted us with warmth and friendliness. Well, it's Bali and politeness is just the foundation of everything here.

First No-No: When I got to the counter, I was quickly helped by this person (not even sure what his name was) and I feel just like what Adesitraveller mentioned, they tried TOO hard to be cool. He asked several questions but instead of listening, he was more interested to get it over and done with which I truly respect. Time is precious. When I asked him how much we need to pay for an upgrade to a one-room villa, he just looked at me and said, "well the room is ready but villa you have to wait". So at 1.15pm (early check in), I decided to forgo the villa but honestly, the fact that I want to consider an upgrade wasn;t even made possible at that point.

Second NO-No: So when the receptionist directed us to this lady near the the pick up area, saying SHE WILL TAKE OVER - All we did were waiting for her to finish her duty which was busy with helping the non-Asian tourists (I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be a racist here). We stood there like the three idiots waiting to be attended only to see her walking from one resident to another resident, all but not us. I felt quite offended. I knew my aunt and my mom were looking cool but they were displeased.

I went back to the receptionist who checked us in - he decided to walk us to our hotel room. Great! At least now we now what we needed to do.

You see, in my booking form, I clearly mentioned three adults. If a room cannot accommodate three beds, please perhaps mention it to us? At the reception, I asked the boy about the room set up and he said, yes for three adults. When we got to our room, Eddie (it was the boy with our luggages who bumped into us at the walkway) showed us to our room.

Third NO-NO: I was very disappointed. EVERYTHING in the room was set up for TWO adults. Two bath towels, two cups, two of everything. And the receptionist had the cheek to tell us that the room is ready for three adults? Really? One of us sleeps on the sofa? When I asked Eddie, he said you booked a king bed right? Was I over-reacting that he or the management assumed the three adults can sleep on a king bed? Then he said, "we can set up the sofa bed if you wish. What time would you like it to be set up?" Is this the kind of WOW experience that the W chain intends to give to its residents? I have to specifically check what we need and tell them I need an extra pair of slippers, an extra towel, an extra cup, etc. I am annoyed. I feel my money has truly gone down the drain at a room, for a holiday that is truly un-Bali.

Did I mention that there are coffee stains on the desk? They must have hurriedly cleaned the room without a proper check.

I agree with others who positively commented on the facilities, view, amenities, etc. I want to comment so much on these too but all I feel right now is more disappointment than a good relaxing holiday in Bali.

Should I say I'm glad that I only booked this W hotel for one night in Seminyak? The fact that I have only arrived for less than 3 hours and all I am thinking is to share this, I guess I should be glad that I will be leaving tomorrow.

Room Tip: It depends what you are here for. If it's business, I think this might make a good place for wor...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank feisme W
CraigSeaward1, General Manager at W Bali - Seminyak, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Hello feismeW,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I was sorry to hear that your stay with us did not meet your expectation. I would like to assure you that your feedback is important to us as at times it identifies the area that needs focus and attention.

I hope you will consider returning to W Retreat & Spa Bali in the not so distant future. Please feel free to contact me when you plan your next stay as I would like to personally oversee your reservation with us. You can reach me via email on - craig.seaward@whotels.com

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

We had our company event at the W in Bali and this gave me the opportunity to stay there for a few nights.

Overall, my experience was positive but there was always the nagging sense of a hotel that tries really hard to be very cool. Perhaps I am not the right demographic for this brand. Having stayed at the W in Mexico City, the vibe made sense but not in a place like Bali (atleast for me).

We were picked up from the airport and the entry driveway to the hotel looks really nice as it is almost a tunnel made by bamboo (?) shoots. There is the mandatory security check before we get to the main lobby.

The check-in for us took a bit of time but was smooth overall given the fact that we'd probably taken most of the rooms in the hotel.

I had a room with a view of the pool and the ocean. The room itself was large with a nice large balcony outside. Work pressure unfortunately did not allow me to enjoy the balcony though.

The room itself had a nice large comfortable king size bed. There is a good couch area to rest as well. The work desk is comfortable and the tv is behind a sliding mirror. There is a strange looking mini bar unfortunately right next to the bathroom.

The bathroom has a tub and shower area combined. The drainage for the shower area is in the form of a channel that looks dirty and is probably difficult to keep clean. The rain shower area is just a bit off to the side. Water pressure is adequate and the water warms up in a bit. There is actually a sign on the shower that mentions it will take 2 minutes for the water to heat up. Unfortunately, the temperature fluctuates a fair bit. There are 2 sinks outside the shower/tub area and the standard W amenities are generously provided.

One thing to note is that the passage area outside the rooms is extremely noisy with the staff and guests walking about all day. The doors and I guess the walls are too thin and the noise carries dramatically enough to be disturbing.

Since we had our meetings in the hotel, we pretty much used all the meeting rooms and the restaurants.

The Fire restaurant serves breakfast and the al fresco seating makes for a nice start to the day. The restaurant gets my complex egg order right and there is enough variety of breakfast options. You get to chose your own mug for coffee as well. The food overall is of good quality and tastes good as well. Lunch in the al fresco area is not pleasant as it gets fairly hot.

Woobar has an nice terrace area and it made for a pleasant evening.

I liked the W lounge area. This was a nice place to nurse a drink and watch the world go by and the evening roll in.

The staff were friendly and very helpful. But then this is Bali. It is almost a given.

Finally, coming to my main reason for giving the hotel an average rating. As I mentioned, it tries just too hard to be cool.

It is simply unacceptable to have that level of noise outside the room. I am also probably a bit old for psychedelic lighting in the elevator at 7:00 am in the morning. I also feel that it is a bit strange to have a sink area with a mirror that is so completely misaligned that shaving becomes an exercise in conturing your body. I personally draw a line at door handles that light up a very strange purple. And I genuinely dislike playing a game with switches to find out the best way to turn out the lights before getting to bed.

Other than my personal peeves, it is an adequate hotel. In future, I'd probably go to one of the more 'regular' hotels like the Grand Hyatt when it reopens.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Adesitraveller
CraigSeaward1, General Manager at W Bali - Seminyak, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Hello Adesitraveller,

Thank you for sharing your review with us. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I can understand that at times it can be quite challenging to control DJ’s performances we do assure that the volume is kept to a minimum after 10pm. I would like to assure you that we take the feedback of our guests seriously, and we are always looking for ways to improve upon on our guests’ experiences.

If you in the future you decide to stay with us then please let me know as I would like to personally oversee your reservation.

Craig seaward