“A modern luxury retreat.”
Review of W Bali - Seminyak

W Bali - Seminyak
Ranked #20 of 147 Hotels in Seminyak
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We are 2 nights into our 5 night stay at the W hotel. From the second we arrived, we were incredibly impressed with the service. Craig, the GM greeted us as soon as we arrived and welcomed us to the property. My girlfriend is a platinum member with Starwood and we have thoroughly seen the benefits of staying at this property with platinum status. Regardless, it is clear that a very high level of service is being provided to all guests. We've stayed at multiple W hotels throughout the world and can say that this property is head and shoulders above the rest.

They have been wonderful with food allergies and made dining a very easy experience. The food is absolutely delicious and the breakfast experience is outstanding - anything you could ever want is served and as soon as you finish a plate, the staff are ready to serve you another.

The grounds, rooms and amenities are stunning and truly 5 star luxury.

The hotel has shuttles that take you to the main road where there are lots of restaurants and shops. They encourage you to see the surrounding areas and you don't feel hostage like you do at some resorts. The 2 for 1 drinks at woobar (monday-thursday) are awesome and the perfect spot to watch the sunset.

The gym is large and the endless beach allows for great early morning runs.

We will absolutely be back to this hotel (hopefully soon) and plan to check out the W retreat properties elsewhere in the world.

For the ultimate Bali experience, stay at Komaneka Bisma (or any of their other properties) in Ubud for a jungle oasis and then head to the W to experience a lively scene and modern luxury.

1  Thank Ryan K
CraigSeaward1, General Manager at W Bali - Seminyak, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Hello Ryan K,

Thank you for sharing your valuable feedback. I am delighted to hear that you found the time to enjoy the colourful playground of W Bali. I will pass your comments back to our talent, they will be happy to hear that they assisted in making your stay a memorable one.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon for more wow moments.

There are newer reviews for W Bali - Seminyak

Reviewed 29 April 2014

Stayed 2 nights and it was heaven! Room was garden view so a little cheaper than the beach view but still amazing. We paid for a 3rd person in our room and they set up a sofa-bed which was as comfortable as the other beds. Service is amazing. All staff as friendly but not pretentious. Nothing is out if the way for them. The pool is huge and they have heaps of day beds and sun chairs - don't need to have to fight for a day bed like other hotels. Great place!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2014

Hello Marj G,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay with us. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your W bali experience and found the time to enjoy all the culinary delights on offer within the retreat.

We do look forward to welcoming you back for more wow moments.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

My fiancé and I have stayed in a 1 bedroom villa room for each of our four visits, they are the ultimate luxury, spacious and private.

We have no desire to visit any other hotel in Bali as we believe the W offer the best of everything, we think of our villa a being a home away from home.

The staff are absolutely 'W'onderful, clearly the stand out of the entire experience. They are warm and friendly and on hand for anything you should need, we've made many friends on our numerous visits and they all welcome us fondly upon each return.

The services and amenities are world class.

Starfish Bloo and Fire are some of the best restaurants I've been to, the food is fresh, unique and of an extremely high quality. The impeccable attention to detail is evident in the service and presentation of food.

The Away Spa is another stand out, exceptionally well equipped, you could spend countless hours pampering yourself.

We've recommended the W to many friends and family, I've stayed in 5 star hotels all over the world and no experience could compare to that of the W Bali. This is how you run a hotel!

Hello Soph12345677,

Thank you for sharing such fantastic feedback. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your W Bali experience and found the time to enjoy our venues and indulgent treatments at Away spa.

We do look forward to welcoming you back soon for more wow moments.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

We had an excellent 2 night stay at the W. Right from the time we walked in until we left, we were given a personalized experience. Starfish Blu and Fire are excellent restaurants. W Insider - Dino is the man!

1  Thank lavetee

Hello lavetee,

Thank you for sharing your valuable feedback. I am delighted you enjoyed your two night stay with us. I will pass your thanks onto Dino, he will happy to hear that he made your stay a memorable one.

We look foeward to welcoming you back to W Retreat & Spa Bali soon.

Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

Came to w for the day, planned to have a day spa and some food. Turns out if you don't stay at the resort the staff like to be overly rude. The staff by the pool didn't want to help us at all, even when we asked about a day spa menu and we were quickly pushed off to one of their bars instead. We asked a few times about using the pool, which took until the 4th waitperson to inform us that there was a charge for use of the swimming areas and beds. Drinks were very pricey but the food wasn't bad, took a little too long to come out. Will not be planning on staying here anytime soon.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Matthew T

Hello Matthew T,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am sorry to hear that your W Bali experience did not meet the level of expectation that we strive to achieve for our guests.

I will discuss this with the relevant departments to ensure this does not happen again. We value the constructive feedback you have given and will ensure to deliver the level of service a W hotel guest would expect.

Please do reach out to me upon your next visit for me to presonally oversee it.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Being an SPG Platinum member, I try to book SPG properties not only for business, but for vacations as well. Last year, we booked W Koh Samui, and this year we decided on W Bali.

After getting in touch with Byang (Director of Rooms) he helped me out in figuring out the best way to book what I wanted. We wanted to stay in a Villa, but they cannot be upgraded to as a part of the SPG program. However, he could upgrade us from a Wonderful Garden View to an Ocean Facing room, and then we could pay a small fee to upgrade from there to the Villa. Perfect!

As I had a combination of bonus points and nights with Hotels.com, Travellink, Splendia and SPG, as well as amending the reservation twice, booking nights with Cash and Points and with an additional night at the end due to a cancellation from Thai Airways and an extra night in the beginning as we decided to upgrade from Business to First Class with Thai from Paris, I think I ended up with 6 or 7 reservations. Byang sorted me out and made sure we got the same villa for the entire stay (11 nights).

So, after the Villa was confirmed, flights were booked, we also booked airport pickup and VIP airport service through W. I recommend everyone to do the same. The VIP service is fantastic. You are met at the gate on arrival, guided through fast track immigration and visa service, they help you with luggage and make sure there are no issues in customs. For us, this was fantastic, as it turned out our luggage did not arrive on the same plane, and these guys sorted out everything for us. Also, if you are unlucky and arrive at the same time as several other flights, you will have to wait several hours in line if you do not have VIP service. And as the price was USD 25 per person, the choice was simple.

So, after sorting out all the paper work with Thai, they escorted us to our driver in the arrival hall. They were all very apologetic that our luggage had not arrived, and the driver suggested we stop by a mall on the way to the hotel to pick up necessities. Fantastic service! I felt a little sorry for him, as he had to wait 40-45 minutes for us while we browsed through the shops.

So, after shopping, we arrived at W Bali. The driveway is really beautiful, with a bamboo tunnel stretching a few hundred meters. There are also some water features and lighting along the way, which makes arriving in the evening stunning.

We were met by the Whatever/Whenever manager and escorted to the Villa/SPG check-in. After expressing their concern about our luggage, and taking copies of the paperwork, they assured us that they would follow-up with Thai. The rest of the check-in process went smoothly, I selected breakfast as the Platinum amenity, and soon after we were in villa number 45. We also got a couple of gift bags with boxer shorts, bikinis, tshirts, toothpaste etc. A fantastic gesture.

The villa is just a few minutes walking from the reception area, which was great. Some of the villas are further away, and if you are not a fan of walking, then you will have to request a buggy whenever leaving the villa. I would suggest you request a villa closer to the hotel. The villa itself is appx 200 sq.m, is enclosed and has a private pool. It has a large Bliss stocked bathroom with a shower and bath, and a combined bedroom/living room with a kingsize W bed and a sofa + bean bag. Outside next to the pool is also a day bed. And on the patio, there were sun-beds and a table with chairs. The villa is also equipped with a nice Bose surround system and Samsung LCD screen inside, as well as speakers in the daybed outside.

The minibar is nicely stocked, there is a water boiler and a rather small selection of tee's and instant coffee. I did miss having a coffee machine, but seeing they had fantastic coffee in the W lounge, I would just go there. More on that later.

The morning after, we got a message from Whatever/Whenever that they had confirmed with Thai that our luggage was on they way, and that they would take care of everything. We went for breakfast, and as a Platinum and/or Villa guest, you can dine at both Fire and Starfish Bloo. Starfish has a better seaview, and I felt a better buffet, but we ended up dining at Fire more often. Mostly due to better and quicker service there. I didn't catch his name, but there was in particular one person there, a tall guy with glasses, who was just fantastic. He seemed to be a shift manager or something like that.

The breakfast is a combination of ala carte and buffet, where you can basically get whatever you want. Coffee is fantastic, their veggie juices are great, pancakes are yummy. They even have eggs and foie gras :) We spent many hours here during our stay, and enjoyed (mostly) every minute of it. I say mostly, as there were mornings were children were running around, and sometimes crying, which disrupted the breakfast a little bit. The "talent" would usually bring the children outside again, and back to their parents. W Koh Samui is a child free resort, which for us was fantastic. So, if you are on a couples trip, a villa is definitely the room to have, as the W Bali had a few of them running around, and especially around the pool area.

So, we tested Fire, W Lounge, Starfish Bloo and Woobar on many occasions. Food is great at all of them, and of course more expensive than outside, but this is a high end resort. If you want to eat outside, and you do not want to get a taxi, just get the shuttle to the front entrance. Biku, just close by is a great place for lunch and dinner. Sarong, also just around the corner was the highlight of our trip, with incredible food. Mama San, just a five minute taxi ride, also owned by the same people as the ones behind Sarong, is also great. Merah Putih, another fantastic restaurant. If you want awesome coffee, go to Revolver in Seminyak. A cozy side-alley coffee shop with great coffee and lunch.

Next to the breakfast, we never got tired of sunsets at Woobar. With live djs every evening, happy hour from Monday to Thursday, enjoying the fantastic Bali sunset to great music and with the waves crashing in the background in a daybed by the beach was just incredible. People recommended Potato Head and Ku De Ta, but Woobar is more intimate.

ICE is another fantastic place to enjoy the sunset. Even more intimate than Woobar, and more quiet, it is the perfect place to enjoy a cocktail prior to having dinner.

The AWAY Spa is very beautiful. My only regret is not spending more time there. Both prior to my treatment, but also after. Book way in advance, as it does tend to get full.

All-in-all, we had a fantastic two weeks at the W. They have a great product, and a fantastic team in place. I would especially like to thank:

Byang for helping us out with our bookings and making sure we got a great villa, and also for his going away gift to us.

Rika Chaachacha, the W insider for many good recommendations, for fantastic hospitality, for helping us out whenever we needed, and for all of her smiles.

The Whatever/Whenever manager (unfortunately forgot her name). She helped us out on many occations, but especially with our lost luggage.

And to Craig for putting the team together with made our stay truly fantastic.

But there are also areas which I felt could be improved. One was the presence of the chefs in the restaurants. We had lunches and dinners there on several occasions, but never saw any of the chefs. At W Koh Samui, the Food and Beverages manager would walk around every day and greet us. The same goes for the GM. I did meet him after emailing to thank for the service received when our luggage was lost, and he did catch up with us after that, and as well as when we checked out, but it would have been nice to see him around more.

Room Tip: If you are staying over a longer period, combine a room with sea view and a villa for privacy. Also...
2  Thank thorhansen

Hello thorhansan,

Thank you for your contructive feedback. It was an absolute pleasure hosting you for two week. I am happy that you round the time to enjoy all aspects of our retreat, from the culinary delights to relaxing moments at Away Spa. I will pass your kind comments back to our talent, they will be delighted that they assisted in making your holiday a memorable one.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon for more Wow moments.

Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

After planning for six months our destination wedding in Bali at a different resort in Seminyak, we flew down two weekends ago for a food and wine tasting and on our second day at the resort where our wedding was supposed to be held, they informed us in the most awful and callous manner that they would be closing our venue for renovations and essentially we were now left with no venue!

Completely distraught and with only one more day left in Bali we were at a total loss of how to fix this as we have family and friends from 8 countries confirmed to come to our wedding in October.

Obviously we were irate with the hotel and staff and didn't feel comfortable staying there so, I got on the phone with The W and was connected to the fabulous Levin. He was calm and assured me they had a room and he could walk me through a wedding package with The W. In 30 minutes we were at The W and checking in, I hadn't slept and was so upset about what had happened the previous day I broke down in tears. The amazing staff was really kind and got me tissues and water and we met Levin who gave us a fabulous tour of the property and discussed our entire wedding and vision. Within an hour we secured the space for our date and I headed to the ultra-luxe Away Spa for two hours of relaxation after this insane weekend, which was amazing!

We had a gorgeous dinner at FIRE that night with friends and finally felt calm and very confident in our new wedding venue. The next day we had the fabulous Sunday Brunch at Starfish Bloo and Rina the event manager came over and we felt even more reassured about our venue choice.

I have been in constant contact with The W regarding our wedding plans and they have truly been phenomenal. We are loyal Starwood patrons and I can't think of a better place to host our family and friends in October for our 4-day wedding weekend! We are already looking forward to returning in a few months for a weekend away.

I can't recommend this hotel more and their rooms are stunning and modern while also honoring the Balinese tradition. We can't wait to come back!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Joanna N
CraigSeaward1, General Manager at W Bali - Seminyak, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Hello Joanna N,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are delighted to be hosting your wedding and making it a wow experience for yourself and your guests. I will pass your comments onto Rina and Levin, they will happy to hear that made your stay a memorable one.

We look forward to welcoming you back and setting the scene for your magical day.