“Best Villa I have stayed in”
Review of W Bali - Seminyak

W Bali - Seminyak
Ranked #22 of 144 Hotels in Seminyak
Melbourne, Australia
“Best Villa I have stayed in”
Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

Need a cool break. This the place.
Great villas, with awesome day beds and plunge pools.
Gym is great - so too the spa.
Starfish bloo for dinner and breakfast is fantastic.
Actually possible the best brunch in Bali if not Asia.
The Woo bar is fantastic on sunset - cocktails could be a little more contemporary but a fantastic way to watch the sun come down.
Have great Beluga vodka.
Only complain is the paths with limited lights and a really unstable surface.
Lobby is great overall we will be back.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
CraigSeaward1, General Manager at W Bali - Seminyak, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Hello Damorob,

Thank you for sharing your great feedback. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your W Bali experience and found time to experience the culinary delights on offer at Starfish bloo.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon for more wow moments and indulgent Sunday brunches.

Craig Seaward

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (810)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
beijing
Reviewed 14 May 2014

This was our second time staying at a W property, the first time being in Singapore, which we were not happy with. We decided to give this one a try and stayed in a one bedroom pool villa for 3 nites in Feb 2014. overall i must say that the grounds are huge and relatively well maintained, however the same issue that was noted at W singapore was also noted here, looks like this is becoming a trend with the W resorts in Asia. Upon arrival to the hotel, we were brought to the checkin area and waited for our turn, however, after a while we realised that the check in area for villas were on the other side and then we had to re-queue and wait in line again. i was somewhat irritated by the fact that the hotel had obviously not co-ordinated our arrival, did not know where to drop us off to check in and also, that we had to wait in line (for a long time) in order to check in. the hotel seemed short of staff and at one point, the check in counter staff dissapeared from the check in counter and seemed to have brought the guests to their rooms rather than getting a valet to do so. very strange, esp since we are used to staying at the St Regis in Bali whereby the whole check in process is seemless (and at the same price). The pool villa did show signs of age esp the bathroom, outdoor area and bedroom flooring, the bath and vanity area were not cleaned to five star standards. Also, the bed faces the pool area, and the blackout curtains were not 100% blackout, which means that by dawn, sunlight is basically in your face. We ordered room service on 2 occasions, both times, we found the food very average. breakfast had a good variety, and it was only on our last day that we realised that breakfast for villa patrons were in a separate area with much more options etc. we were not told this at all during check in nor during our stay and we sought of stumbled on this ourselves. we did not use the main pool area as we had our own pool, which we loved very much, the villa was spacious and functional, but nothing to really shout about. the beach is a public beach so there are no private cabanas or deck chairs on the beach, it is within the hotel grounds instead, which was a pity. it is a long walk out from the hotel lobby to the main street, so we had to use a buggy and even from our villa to the lobby. but this was rather efficient and service was great. we tried the away spa, which was amazing, we had the full body massage which was heavenly, the spa is huge and the rooms very nice. the location of the hotel in seminyak is great, with fantastic restaurants and bars / cafes all nearby, that was one of the reasons why we chose this hotel in the first place. however, if you are expecting the 5 star royalty treatment, this one's not for you. i would recommend this hotel if you are in a big group of friends, and you intend to make your own fun. for couples who want to be secluded and expect to be pampered, then choose the St Regis instead cos this was a dissapointment to us.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello Lauren0808,

Thank you for sharing your valuable feedback. I am disappointed to hear of the level of service you received upon check in. I will revert back to my Director of rooms and discuss the issues mentioned to ensure a consistent and smoother check in process is in place.

Please do reach out to me upon your next visit so I can oversee your stay.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 13 May 2014

W will knock your socks off. Take your breath away! If you have the $$ and can afford to stay there them dont even bother browsing, just book.

The quality of the hotels furniture, decor, lighting, design, just everything is impeccable. The staff bend over backwards to help you and the food and cocktails are world class.

W is more than just a hotel. Its an experience... and as if the hotel was not enough, the spectacular beach setting will just take your breath away.

Can't wait to go back. Seminyak at its best.

One thing I will say though is that if you have kids under 8 who love to go crazy and splash around in the pool you might want to split up your stay with somewhere a little less fancy. While W is kid friendly the clientelle are prodominantly wealthy couples and friends. Your 8 year old bombing into the pool and splashing some rich billionaires wife while she is sunning herself by the pool might not go down too well :)

ENJOY!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank iSparkle81
Hello isparkle81,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am delighted to hear that you had a fantastic stay with us and found the time to enjoy the colourful playground of Seminyak.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon for more indulgent moments.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Despite the horror traffic in Seminyak W manages a quite nice sense of arrival with the Bamboo covered alley kind of a drive to the hotel, then however after a quick security check you're detoured since the water feature guided last bit seems to narrow for the traffic.

Check in was smooth and Esther advised we have an upgrade to ocean view, as we realize later the plenty of families with kids tend to prefer the garden view rooms. Esther was one of the smiling service highlights of our stay.

Design and features is why I tent to like W but from the last 3 stays on Hong Kong, Doha and now Bali I must admit that the design doesn't cover up for a serious lack of maintenance and hygiene. Doha was the best but Hong Kong an absolute disaster with much of it repeated here in Bali. Around the bed plenty of hair on the carpet, the carpet filthy, but worst is the bathroom with corners obviously not cleaned for weeks...at least not properly the way one would expect it from a Starwood, not to speak of a W charging premium rates.

With this repeated experience I remember the situation in Hong Kong. Same story and while the new General Manager at that time even replied the TA review confirming my points he afterwards backed out when he was asked what he would do in my situation paying premium Hong Kong dollar for a filthy experience.... As he stated, he was new...and things will change "well thank you mr new general manager".

Dinner in “Fire”. Our first dinner was nice, best tenderloin since we're on Bali although the on in The Damai comes close to it. The cocktails were ok but just like the meal way overpriced considering the value delivered on the plate.

Breakfast in “Fire" Nice creative breakfast buffet. Good service with a smile on the face. Loved the a la carte breakfast fancy's esp the balsamic strawberries. Another nice idea is the coffee mug choice from petit to bucket style ...

Breakfast in”???" Last day we tried the other restaurant for breakfast. Like the fact that it is a different menu although overall the experience in fire, as it seems used for the "lower" room categories was far superior.
Tried to get some yoghurt standing in front of the counter for a while till the kitchen staff was kind enough to appear. Later I placed an order for French toast with vanilla sauce and strawberries, repeated the same at the buffet to the chef twice and then to our waitress joining making notes of the order. Several orders placed later arrived to our table till the supervisor realized I'm getting nervous asking what it is. Few minutes later my order arrived with one little little piece of strawberry, a few drips of vanilla sauce and strawberry sauce I didn't ask for. The supervisor tried to work it out but by then I seriously had enough.

The Meduse designer shish as from the Czech Republic are just like in the Ritz in Moscow and like in other places way overpriced. While this certainly is a good product pricing is far from justified.

Beach and pool. Beach with amazing waves smashing the shore. One of the main surf spots is about 2km walking distance away.

Plenty of families with kids seemed a bit off the usual target group for a W?

Service at the beach was quite good, I mean apart from the Eur 10 for a bottle of Aqua Panna presented with heavily scratched and filthy dirty plastic glasses.

At first fun o talk to but then annoying the traders right at the beach access tried to over and over again sell you some of their low quality hats.

Overall the hotel gives the impression of too much focus on design and price point rather than quality and value for money. While there is plenty of line staff, management was invisible.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RolandUO
Hello RolandUO,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am very sorry to hear that your visit with us did not meet the level of expectation that we strive to achieve for each one of our guests. We value the constructive feedback you have given which will help us to ensure that we uphold the level of service that is expected. I do expect that the price point is reflected within the service received.

Should you chose to return to W Bali; please do reach out to me directly so I can oversee your visit and ensure you depart having experienced the Wow factor.

Norfolk, England
Reviewed 12 May 2014

What can I say this is a little bit out of this world. When you arrive you're just like WOW! Amazing design of building, cool little touches at check in.
We had a pool villa, which I would recommend if you can. Really private. Really good size room, and just really fab fab room.
Great breakfasts and a couple of good restaurants in the hotel. Really cool chill out area to sit and listen to a DJ whilst having a couple of sundowners (not quite Ibiza style...but you wouldn't want that). We didn't actually use the main pool as we had our villa, but it was stunning.
We ate out at Potato head which is a cool beach club bar (we're 33 if that helps) so worth going...you need to make reservations..which the conceierge can do.
I loved W as it was just fun. It felt swanky, cool, sophisticated...and it was a great start to our honeymoon - we stayed for 3 nights....could have maybe done 1 more, but that would probably then be enough.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Annabellebrady
CraigSeaward1, General Manager at W Bali - Seminyak, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Hello Annabellebrady,

Thank you for taking the time to share your constructive feedback. I am delighted to hear that you had an amazing holiday and W Bali experience. I am glad you were able to experience Sunset sessions and our indulgent cocktails.

We do look forward to welcoming you back soon for more wow moments at W Bali.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 11 May 2014

First and foremost, sorry for the late review. I had the pleasure of staying at W Resort Bali from Sep 19 - 24, 2013 and I can assure you, this is the epitome of what it means to be on a relaxing vacation. I have booked via the SPG site where there as an offer running with double starpoints. It was my partner's birthday during this stay and I would love to give a special thanks to Rika, who put the 5 stars in this resort. From 2-3 months prior to my arrival , Rika has been providing timely answers to any sort of queries or arrangements I've had in my mind (with lots of changes here and there). Before we depart, she even ask me to come out and meet her just so she know the face to person she has been talking to for months in emails.

We've booked the villa in W and this is the must do when visiting this hotel as he villa are amazing. It's spacious, modern, chic yet everything is fully functional and you even get your own private pool which is the best. Breakfast is included with the package and is just like waking up in heaven every morning.

Next time I'm coming back to Bali, it will definitely be with W Bali without a doubt. I've travel to over 20 different countries in the world (including Hong Kong/Taiwan/Bangkok/Singapore/Malaysia/New York/Toronto/Vancouver/Boston/Bahamas/etc) and W Bali by far has beat every other hotels (many of them 5 stars as well) out of the water.

Good job W hotel and many thanks to Rika once again !!

Room Tip: Get a villa, you won't regret it !