“Underwhelming stay in the pool villa”
Review of The Amala

The Amala
Ranked #16 of 145 Hotels in Seminyak
New York City, New York
“Underwhelming stay in the pool villa”
Reviewed 5 March 2012

There was a roach in my welcome drink, when I mentioned it to my butler (who made the drink) he said it was impossible. No not impossible, there was a roach in my drink, a simple apology would suffice.

The private pool looks as if it never has been cleaned because it hasn't.

The service could have been a lot better.

Breakfast is good and though there were issues my stay was still very enjoyable. I mean I was in Bali afterall. Won't be coming back.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank stacey212
JoseLuisCalleR, Managing Director of Lifestyle Retreats at The Amala, responded to this review, 17 March 2012
Dear Stacey 212

Thank you so much for sharing the details of your recent and rather unfortunate stay with us. I can’t express how sorry I am for such an incident. Please accept my sincere apologies for such situation.

I have followed it up with our team and conducted additional training in how to handle similar situations being more apologetic and definitely reacting differently than the way our butler naturally did in this occasion. Terribly sorry about that.

We appreciate your comments and will definitely work harder to make sure that stays at Amala are simply faultless.

Thanks again and please contact me directly should you plan a trip back to Bali so we can make it up to you..

With best regards

Jose Luis Calle

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed 29 February 2012

My girlfriend and I recently stayed at The Amala for the last 2 days of our 8 days' vacation in Bali. From the check-in to departure, everything was seamless even though so many changes and requests we had to make. The hotel has a zen-like design, reminded me a little bit of Japanese ryokan and the villa is surrounded with beautiful gardens and bamboo trees. Breakfast is included and served in the nice courtyard by the pool. Egg white omelet and banana pancake were divine and the fresh juice made with passion fruit, lime, and guava (?) was so refreshing!
Our butler recommended "Warung Made", the Indonesian restaurant for dinner and it was so delicious and the ambience was lovely. My friend changed her original plan and stayed 1 more night so hotel staff accommodated all the changes so gracefully. The hotel provides everything you can expect from any luxury hotel (welcome drink & snacks, free soft drink, free wifi, breakfast, high quality bath products, i-pod dock, turndown, etc) at a reasonable price in a quiet area of hectic Seminyak. The entire staff was so friendly and accommodating without being overbearing. You can also lounge at your private pool in the villa but we were in Seminyak and didn’t spend much time in the hotel. I would definitely come back and stay longer at The Amala.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Nic C
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 23 January 2012

My Girlfriend and i stayed at The Amala for 7 nights...
What an experience... The staff were amazing making sure all our needs were met with a smile.
Our breakfast was delivered to our room every morning, Fresh Juice, Fresh Fruit, Banana Pancake, Balinese Coffee, Fresh Bread and the list just continues........ Amazing.
The rooms were very clean and well presented. We experienced two rooms, The Spa Villa & The Pool Villa. If you can afford it stay in the Pool Villa.
My girlfriend and i could not fault The Amala & YES we will be back.

Spiro & Delaney

Room Tip: Go For The Pool Villa
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Spiro S
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 8 January 2012

Beautiful in one word! Just perfect....the architecture, the facilities, the service, the gardens the pool etc. I only have 2 complains about this place and it is the towels are a bit old and tired including some dubious old spots...and the "Butler" was too pushy on wanting to book restaurants for us, right from the moment we arrived. Anyway we didnt book that day, but a couple of days later we ask the receptionist about the restaurants in Jimbaran peninsula and he was very quick to recommend "Ganesha Cafe" on the beach, which was disgusting, expensive and I was sick all night after that experience. So I guess they get good commissions for booking certain restaurants. That is the only complain I have about this place, because everything else was absolutely wonderful, they even went out of their way to go and send somebody to change some money for us. Really really nice people in charge of Amala. Owners should be so proud of the "Amala family" they call themselves:-) The Spa is also wonderful, a little bit expensive ..but a wonderful experience.

Room Tip: We were in Villa 1 and it was fantastic! The facilities are so well kept and the Spa is really good...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Lili740
Jakarta
Reviewed 6 January 2012

We stayed in the 1-bedroom pool villa. Interior was spacious, however AC was not working properly, it was noisy and not cold enough. Technician came but could not make the AC any cooler. However, the breakfast experience is enormously superb. It was pre-set ala card with super delicious taste and variety. Then came the banana pancake which was the best I have ever tasted the world (I normally do not eat banana pancacke). It just made our stay in The Amala. Would come back for the breakfast experience no other hotel has.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Venisiana D
MTsmithy87
Reviewed 2 January 2012

I have been to Bali many times and absolutely love staying in villas... so have stayed a few. The Amala is without a doubt the best boutique villa resort and spa.

We stayed in the pool villa (highly recommended for couples wanting a private getaway). The room was extremely clean, their was always complimentary drinks/cookies and the plunge pool was perfect. We had a private outdoor area with 2 deck chairs, steam room/shower, bath, dining table.... it was unbelievable for the price.

We also had a butler who made our stay so relaxing and stress free - they arranged all our activities and restaurants. If it is your first time in Bali, I highly recommend this resort as they provide great guidance on restaurants and activities.

The staff was outstanding - all spoke English very confidently and were so attentive. My boyfriend and I moved resorts halfway through our trip and unfortunately were not impressed with it... so called the Amala and they made every effort to accommodate us with not even 24 hours notice. They gave us the Spa Studio room (much smaller than our pool villa as there was no outdoor area, but still extremely comfortable) and let us stay until 10pm as we had a late flight. They did this free of charge as the room was not booked out... I don't know many hotels that would be so accommodating. The staff were so welcoming and treat you like family and are always on call if you need anything.

I highly recommend the Amala for couples looking for a relaxing, private and relaxing getaway. Being only 5 minutes walk from the main shops made this the perfect resort in the perfect location.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank MTsmithy87
Bandung, Indonesia
Reviewed 31 December 2011

We began for honeymoon in Bali with 3 nights at The Amala.
It was absolutely lovely and very fantastic!

We stayed in a spa villa and pool villa. The villa is half outdoors and half indoors with modern amenities. It had an outdoor private plunge pool, jacuzzi, steamroom, shower and bath.

The villa was very a heavenly and we really got great experience in our honeymoon.

The breakfast at The Amala were some of the best that we had our entire trip.
It was really nice (ala carte style), freshly cooked with nice healthly and banana pancakes to die for!

If you stay here, you absolutely MUST get a massage. We had the most amazing couple's massage. It was so great.....and very exceed expectation!

The staff is very helpfully and respectful of your privacy.

The location look likes a lovely oasis in the middle of shops, restaurants, clubs and about a 10-15 minute walking to the beach.

We're very recommended for this hotel!

Room Tip: Both villa (spa and pool villa) are very fantastic villa
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple