“Friendly staff made it worth while”
Review of The Amala

The Amala
Ranked #17 of 144 Hotels in Seminyak
Bangkok, Thailand
“Friendly staff made it worth while”
Reviewed 16 March 2012

I was looking for weeks and weeks for a nice boutique resort to stay on my own to relax and Tripadvisor had good reviews so I decided to give it ago.

I don't usually travel with a package but it was good that the package included the pick up from the airport because when I landed, it was pouring down with rain and it would have been terrible trying to get a cab and find the villa in the rain.

Generally overall experience was very good due to very friendly staff. There were few glitches here and there but all the staff made sure they were attended to straight away.

1. Due to the rain, I wasn't given a tour around the resort so I had no idea where everything was. It would have been nice if they told me to come and see the butler next day so they could at least show me where the pool and the library were.

2. I booked a spa studio and had some leakage from the ceiling and after a bit of complaining, they upgraded me to a spa villa. The spa villa was exceptional!

3. Food at the restaurants are very nice and price is very reasonable. Their banana pancake and scrambled egg whites were really good for breakfast and their raw Pad Thai was really really delicious.

4. Massage at their spa is really nice. The ambience is great and staff know what they are doing.

5. Location- it's a little noisy if you are staying at spa studio but from spa villa, it's very peaceful.

I would like to thank all the staff making sure I was happy!

Room Tip: Book a spa villa if you can, it's 10 times better than Spa studio. The Spa studio had a toilet a...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Nicky0125
JoseLuisCalleR, Managing Director of Lifestyle Retreats at The Amala, responded to this review, 17 March 2012
Dear Nicky 0125

Thanks for your positive review regarding your stay at The Amala. We have just launched the Spa Studios (4 of them only) so I assume you were one of the first guests to experience those units.. although cozy and small (definitely reasonable in price as you would agree with me) are not as cool as the Spa Villas.

Sorry about the leakage. I have blocked that room and our contractors are fixing that small leakage to make sure its taken care off. I have also reminded the butlers to meet our guests the day after in case we can’t spend much time on arrival as it was the case due to the rain or simply for those arriving too late.

Food and Spa are key elements of the product while being so small while operated by 47 employees allow us to provide a very personal friendly service to our guests.

Thanks again and stay in touch!

Jose Luis Calle

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 5 March 2012

There was a roach in my welcome drink, when I mentioned it to my butler (who made the drink) he said it was impossible. No not impossible, there was a roach in my drink, a simple apology would suffice.

The private pool looks as if it never has been cleaned because it hasn't.

The service could have been a lot better.

Breakfast is good and though there were issues my stay was still very enjoyable. I mean I was in Bali afterall. Won't be coming back.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank stacey212
Dear Stacey 212

Thank you so much for sharing the details of your recent and rather unfortunate stay with us. I can’t express how sorry I am for such an incident. Please accept my sincere apologies for such situation.

I have followed it up with our team and conducted additional training in how to handle similar situations being more apologetic and definitely reacting differently than the way our butler naturally did in this occasion. Terribly sorry about that.

We appreciate your comments and will definitely work harder to make sure that stays at Amala are simply faultless.

Thanks again and please contact me directly should you plan a trip back to Bali so we can make it up to you..

With best regards

Jose Luis Calle
Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed 29 February 2012

My girlfriend and I recently stayed at The Amala for the last 2 days of our 8 days' vacation in Bali. From the check-in to departure, everything was seamless even though so many changes and requests we had to make. The hotel has a zen-like design, reminded me a little bit of Japanese ryokan and the villa is surrounded with beautiful gardens and bamboo trees. Breakfast is included and served in the nice courtyard by the pool. Egg white omelet and banana pancake were divine and the fresh juice made with passion fruit, lime, and guava (?) was so refreshing!
Our butler recommended "Warung Made", the Indonesian restaurant for dinner and it was so delicious and the ambience was lovely. My friend changed her original plan and stayed 1 more night so hotel staff accommodated all the changes so gracefully. The hotel provides everything you can expect from any luxury hotel (welcome drink & snacks, free soft drink, free wifi, breakfast, high quality bath products, i-pod dock, turndown, etc) at a reasonable price in a quiet area of hectic Seminyak. The entire staff was so friendly and accommodating without being overbearing. You can also lounge at your private pool in the villa but we were in Seminyak and didn’t spend much time in the hotel. I would definitely come back and stay longer at The Amala.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Nic C
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 23 January 2012

My Girlfriend and i stayed at The Amala for 7 nights...
What an experience... The staff were amazing making sure all our needs were met with a smile.
Our breakfast was delivered to our room every morning, Fresh Juice, Fresh Fruit, Banana Pancake, Balinese Coffee, Fresh Bread and the list just continues........ Amazing.
The rooms were very clean and well presented. We experienced two rooms, The Spa Villa & The Pool Villa. If you can afford it stay in the Pool Villa.
My girlfriend and i could not fault The Amala & YES we will be back.

Spiro & Delaney

Room Tip: Go For The Pool Villa
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Spiro S
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 8 January 2012

Beautiful in one word! Just perfect....the architecture, the facilities, the service, the gardens the pool etc. I only have 2 complains about this place and it is the towels are a bit old and tired including some dubious old spots...and the "Butler" was too pushy on wanting to book restaurants for us, right from the moment we arrived. Anyway we didnt book that day, but a couple of days later we ask the receptionist about the restaurants in Jimbaran peninsula and he was very quick to recommend "Ganesha Cafe" on the beach, which was disgusting, expensive and I was sick all night after that experience. So I guess they get good commissions for booking certain restaurants. That is the only complain I have about this place, because everything else was absolutely wonderful, they even went out of their way to go and send somebody to change some money for us. Really really nice people in charge of Amala. Owners should be so proud of the "Amala family" they call themselves:-) The Spa is also wonderful, a little bit expensive ..but a wonderful experience.

Room Tip: We were in Villa 1 and it was fantastic! The facilities are so well kept and the Spa is really good...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Lili740
Jakarta
Reviewed 6 January 2012

We stayed in the 1-bedroom pool villa. Interior was spacious, however AC was not working properly, it was noisy and not cold enough. Technician came but could not make the AC any cooler. However, the breakfast experience is enormously superb. It was pre-set ala card with super delicious taste and variety. Then came the banana pancake which was the best I have ever tasted the world (I normally do not eat banana pancacke). It just made our stay in The Amala. Would come back for the breakfast experience no other hotel has.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Venisiana D
MTsmithy87
Reviewed 2 January 2012

I have been to Bali many times and absolutely love staying in villas... so have stayed a few. The Amala is without a doubt the best boutique villa resort and spa.

We stayed in the pool villa (highly recommended for couples wanting a private getaway). The room was extremely clean, their was always complimentary drinks/cookies and the plunge pool was perfect. We had a private outdoor area with 2 deck chairs, steam room/shower, bath, dining table.... it was unbelievable for the price.

We also had a butler who made our stay so relaxing and stress free - they arranged all our activities and restaurants. If it is your first time in Bali, I highly recommend this resort as they provide great guidance on restaurants and activities.

The staff was outstanding - all spoke English very confidently and were so attentive. My boyfriend and I moved resorts halfway through our trip and unfortunately were not impressed with it... so called the Amala and they made every effort to accommodate us with not even 24 hours notice. They gave us the Spa Studio room (much smaller than our pool villa as there was no outdoor area, but still extremely comfortable) and let us stay until 10pm as we had a late flight. They did this free of charge as the room was not booked out... I don't know many hotels that would be so accommodating. The staff were so welcoming and treat you like family and are always on call if you need anything.

I highly recommend the Amala for couples looking for a relaxing, private and relaxing getaway. Being only 5 minutes walk from the main shops made this the perfect resort in the perfect location.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple