“WOW!!”
Review of The Amala

The Amala
Ranked #16 of 148 Hotels in Seminyak
Reviewed 1 October 2013

We spent 10 days at The Amala for our honeymoon, our first impression on seeing the Villa was WOW!
All of the staff at The Amala were very friendly and helpful, suggesting great places to visit, they really made our stay special.
The Spa is a must - amazing massages!
It's definitely the perfect place for a honeymoon and we certainly would recommend it! We are already of thinking about returning for an anniversary!
Lauren & Gordon

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lauren M
Madlen E, Manager at The Amala, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2013

Dear Lauren & Gordon,
First of all thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with the Trip Advisor community. We are very happy and proud that we were part of your honeymoon and that we could exceed with our services your expectations. To know that you would like to return to Amala for your Anniversary makes us all very happy and excited to welcome you back. Do not hesitate to contact me directly for your next trip – it would be our utmost pleasure to apply the repeater booking benefits for your next stay. For references this is my mail: madlen.ernest@theamala.com
Once again thank you for staying with us, during your 10days stay you really have become a part of our little Amala Family, we will miss you and hope to see you soon…

Sunny greetings from Bali

Reviewed 1 October 2013

Stayed for two nights in Sep 2013 - excellent hotel, very friendly staff who took genuine interest in us and were always helpful (when I had my bag stolen in Seminyak, all of the staff were genuinely concerned about what had happened and the manager made a point of speaking to me about it). Great spa as well, we had two very good treatments which came as part of the room package, plus complementary airport transfer, which altogether made the whole stay very good value for money.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Madlen E, Manager at The Amala, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2013

Dear SaraL,
Thank you very much for spending time to review us on Trip Advisor, glad to see you arrived well back home. Even though you had your bag stolen we are happy to see that you still enjoyed the rest of your stay here in Bali and with us. We truly hope that no further inconveniences came up due the stolen items, once your arrived back home - Thank you very much for staying with us, and we hope to get the chance to meet you again someday soon.
Sunny Greetings from Bali

Reviewed 21 September 2013

ok so i'm so sorry that i have been lazy and writing this review and month and half later.....our stay was between august 1 to august 5 2013....and in short i wanted hit my self in the head at why i did not book a longer stay.....the staff from the time of checking in to checking out was phenomenal.....i am totally biased out of excellent service not knowing anyone in the staff and it being my first time in indonesia specially in bali...and it wont be my last...they make you feel at home as if you own the place.....Mika...Wawan...Kadek....Madeline...you guys define what hospitality is and should be...(Mika specially you....you are something else and i mean that with the utmost respect).....whoever owns this place should wake up every morning thanking god at what kind of excellent staff they have because (yes place is beautiful really defines zen even amidst the noisy Seminyak area) but service surpasses the beauty of the property....room was awesome, very clean....a lot of large corporations need a lesson from the Amala when it comes to keeping things tidy and how to keep their customers happy......breakfast was great local food of course...had yummy choices and extremely healthy ones as well......room amenities from plunge pool to soap to the new fruit every day was designed for the zen it promotes......bottom line i could not have asked for more because they exceeded my expectations.....Madeline thanks for letting us stay till our late flight...and Mika you are the best......hotel owners do not loose him!!!!!!!!!.....something i also learned from the staff was everyone did their job without pawning it to someone else......i guess creating a great work environment brings this out in people.........keep up the great work guys!!!!!!!! and lastly thank you i sincerely enjoyed my stay

Room Tip: 3 room types plunge pool; full pool and studio......all are awesome but as a couple we chose plunge...
1  Thank hennymahesh n
Madlen E, Manager at The Amala, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2013

Hi Hennymahesh,
It is so nice to hear from you, thank you very much for spending so much time on writing your feedback on Trip Advisor. That you still remember us, by name, is very impressive and we are truly honored. We are very happy to hear that we could pamper you with our services and that you had such a fantastic time with us. We are not the biggest property in town but we try to give service, and it’s just great to see that you have noticed our effort.
We all really hope to get to welcome you back soon again, once again it was a pleasure to meet you and see you soon again on the amazing island of Bali
Best regards

Reviewed 17 September 2013

Overall, the Amala is a good choice to stay during your trip at Bali especially for couple that are looking for romantic and privacy environment. Depends on your consideration whether you would like to have the Swimming Pool in your room so you can choose the Pool Villa otherwise the Spa Villa is another good choice as well for your relaxation trip. Don't forget to get the Spa services from the villa which this is something really great to have it there.

Dear SteveWen25,
Thank you very much for posting your feedback on the Trip Advisor. We are very happy that you have enjoyed your stay with us and especially our Spa facilities. We truly hope to welcome you back soon to our little retreat in the heart of Seminyak.
Sunny greetings from Bali

Reviewed 16 September 2013

Excellent experience. We enjoyed our stay so much that we booked our final night in Bali to return here. Firstly, the Amala itself is a peaceful, beautifully designed hotel with plenty of attention to detail in the finishes and decorating. The layout of Villa rooms ensures privacy. Our first stay we had an outdoor shower. Our second stay we stayed in the room that has a private pool, sauna and outdoor bath. Heavenly. The service was excellent with really attentive and friendly staff who were genuinely concerned to cater for your needs. Food superb, massages superb - all in all a perfect, relaxing stay - very pleasing to the eyes and senses! I noticed a few negative reviews and was curious to see what could have affected their stay. Firstly, it seems a new manager was brought in 5 months ago so I would consider any previous dissatisfaction null and void. We met Madlen and she's running a professional and friendly staff and knows highest levels of service to make you feel comfortable and right at home. Nothing is too much trouble and she's enthusiastic to share knowledge of Bali, right down to cultural practices (it was metal blessing day when we were there). Years of experience in hospitality and in Cambodia and Vietnam too. She's getting a Christmas card from me for sure :) Secondly, some people mention not being right on the beach. Have that if you want it but Amala provides easy breezy transport at your fingertips and it's not far to go anywhere. To be honest, the bustle of restaurants, bars and tourists in Seminyak make it an added pleasure and relief to get back to hotel away from it all after a day out. Does this sound like an advert? Sorry. Am I gushing a lot in our review? You betcha. If you want to guarantee yourself an effortless treat, this is the way.

Room Tip: Worth looking at the private pool and sauna! The visit from staff to 'de-mosquito' the room...

Dear DanAguilar ,

Greetings from the sunny Island. I believe you have arrived well back to Dubai and work has taken over the daily routine. Thank you very much for your feedback , the amount of time you have invested to review us is very much appreciated. We are happy to hear that you have enjoyed our services and that we could pamper both of you.
We truly are looking forward to welcome back here soon again…. Hopefully you will be able to bring the Christmas card in person :) …
Once again it was our honor to have you here with us, see you soon again

Reviewed 13 September 2013

My friend and I stayed at the Amala at the end of August. My first thought, like some other reviewers, was that we were too far from the beach. However, I soon got over that. The villas were lovely and the service was excellent. The website and staff refer to each other as “butlers” although I wouldn’t classify them in that way. We didn’t have one dedicated butler as such and I am not sure that any of the villas have that service but there was always someone on the phone or at reception if we needed them.

The good points - great service, everyone was very friendly and the breakfast was delicious especially the miso soup. The villas were clean and the staff would come to the room every evening to draw the mosquito net around the bed and light citronella candles. We were originally booked into a spa villa but were upgraded to a pool villa for the last two nights which was amazing. I really liked the spa villa although it took some getting used to washing your face outside while they were some creatures around. The room was lovely although not much space to hang your clothes so something to be aware of. As with most hotels, the lighting wasn’t great in the room either so we struggled when getting ready for the evenings. The pool villa was excellent. It had a much bigger room, indoor bathroom which I preferred, kitchen (we never used it though), lounge area and a bigger pool. Again, there was limited wardrobe space but it did have a huge mirror in the dining area which was great for when we were getting ready. The spa was excellent, we had two massages each which was lovely. We paid a lot more than we would have done at the other spas in the area but you pay for what you get so we didn’t mind. The pricing was in $ which made it a bit difficult for us to work out the pricing in rupiah to the £. The drivers were excellent and drove us to various places saving us money on taxis.

The main pain points were the lack of lighting and storage space. Also, when we were in the first villa, the “butlers” didn’t wipe clean the outside table before putting our breakfast down which meant creatures going all over the food. I had to tell them to wipe the table but it’s something they should know to do. The air conditioning was very loud but it was too hot to turn it off. We asked for an iron and ironing board on the first day and were told they were all taken which wasn’t ideal. I had to ask a second “butler” to borrow one off another guest as we needed one which they did do. Unfortunately they couldn’t bring us an ironing board and my friend had an accident where the sofa got burnt. The manager was excellent though and very kindly offered to pay half the cost of getting the material replaced. Some reviews mention that you don’t hear the road noise - this isn’t true. I could hear the road and planes a lot in our first villa so be warned. The noise wasn’t as bad in the second villa though.

This is a very small and quiet hotel / villa. If you want somewhere to chill out but still be close to the main areas it’s a great place to stay. The main hotels are a lot more expensive in Seminyak. It only took us about 15 minutes by taxi to get to the main areas – we spent our days at beach clubs like Potato Head which was excellent. Lots of great bars and restaurants on the main road near Seminyak Square. Worth having dinner at Ultimo, SOS Supper Club and La Lucciola.

We received an email from the manager when we arrived back in the UK which I thought was a nice touch. I would recommend the villas to someone who wants to stay somewhere relaxing and isn’t bothered about being on the beach.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Madlen E, Manager at The Amala, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2013

Hallo GR 27,
I believe you have arrived well back home, thank you very much for your feedback. You really have gone into detail, which is what we need in order to improve. Since you have left additional Iron Boards & Irons have been purchased, we are all prepared and ready for your next visit :-)
In regards to the lightning and storage, those are some very important point you have pointed out and I will see how we could upgrade those things for better customer satisfaction in the near future.
In regards to the Butlers, I agree that it can be very misleading as we associate butler with a complete private service provided by one dedicated person. However our concept of Butler at the Amala is basically a team of 8 Butlers is responsible to provide a 24/7 service to each in house guest. They are Tour desk & Info board as well they provide your room service and drop you off to different places if needed. I guess the word butler is correctly uses as they provide all necessary services of a private Butler, just with the difference that they are acting as a team, and therefore you get to see different Butlers for different times a day.
Once again I am very happy that you stayed with us and that we were able to let you experience the Spa Villa & the Pool villa. Thank you once more for your great feedback and I truly hope to welcome you back again to the Amala soon.
Have a great day

Reviewed 13 September 2013

Having been to Bali once before we decided this would be the perfect place for our honeymoon destination. We were married in March of 2012 and due to work commitments selected later in the year (sept) to spend 3 weeks in what has become one of our favorite holiday retreats. We carefully selected a Mr & Mrs Smith location and based on trip advisor reviews felt we had made the perfect choice for the first 4 days of our trip. OMG what a disappointment. We arrived straight from the airport fairly late (10pm) and were shown to our room. It seemed lovely and we had a late dinner with drinks to relax before bed. I even had a swim to cool down. The first sign should have been the colour of the pool which was very green-  but part of me thought given this is such a well recommended villa  it 's probably just the tiling treatment and the lighting at night. I w as wrong but wouldn't know until the next day! After watching a movie , chatting about the things we wanted to do the next day and planning our itinerary we didn't notice when we were sitting on top of the bed that the preparation was not as pristine as you would normally expect, however we eventually crawled under the covers to go to sleep and on waking in the morning I noticed there was blood on my pillow. At this point I think realized the terrible truth but it was so unbelievable I couldn't bear to think it was true until I tried the shower which didn't work and then tried to open the doors from the bedroom overlooking the pool and they got stuck and wouldn't open.after all of this  it dawned on us that we  had spent the night in a room that someone had
vacated (after what I now realize is probably  a week ) and it hadn't been serviced!!!! @!*?!! I wanted to be sick. I rang the front desk and asked to speak to the Manager as there were some problems. It took 4 calls over 4 hours to get a  response. I was so livid  it was just as well they only engaged my husband ( who is much more tolerant than I) but I suspect they don't like to deal directly with strong, mouthy and upset ( read very angry)women of a certain age. Whilst no explanation was given let alone an acknowledgment that we had been placed in a dirty used room we were asked if we'd like another to which we agreed -as if we going to do anything else. The new room was pristine which was a consolation apart from making us realize how bad the previous room was. What was particularly disappointing was no apology  was given at any stage of our stay. We have since had the pleasure of staying in a number of other fabulous villas in Seminyak at much better value for money prices. Our experience at the Amala has not put us off Bali but I wouldn't let my pets stay in this overpriced grotto.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Jasin_Dee

Dear Janis D,
I have carefully reviewed your feedback in regards to your stay at the Amala. I am really sorry that you have not enjoyed your stay with us, and encountered such inconveniences as per your description. Nevertheless to say you stay with us was one year ago, and a lot of things have changed since that time, I have started at April 2013 in the position as a Resort Manager and together with my team a lot of positive changes & improvements were achieve during the past couple of months, which as well reflects on all the positive guest feedback's on Trip Advisor we have received so far. Proactive feedback or feedback which can help a venue to grow and get better is always the best to be given right after you have made the experiences, this will allow the venue to act immediately or compensate if required.
To recall a booking over a year ago with such detail is very difficult from our side and it is very hard to verify nor deny the negative experiences you have made. In case you return to Bali, it would be our pleasure if you could come to visit us, I would be very delighted to personally introduce you all our improvements and changes we have achieved. Don’t hesitate to contact me should you return to Bali/Seminyak, for your references my mail madlen.ernest@theamala.com .
With best regards