“AWESOME”
Review of The Amala

The Amala
Ranked #16 of 148 Hotels in Seminyak
Reviewed 22 April 2014

“How was your trip?” my friends asked.
I responded with just one word, “AWESOME” hence the title of my review.
They said the place I stayed was huge!
I explained myself that I had booked for the Pool Villa instead and got a free upgrade to The Residence (TR) when I check-in because of some maintenance going on at my pre-booked villa.

HERE IS MY REVIEW
I was overwhelm by the hospitality of The Amala (TA), the airport pick-up who waited patiently for 2hours at the airport, gave us ice cold pokka green tea & hand towels once we sat in the vehicle.

Within an hour, we arrived and proceed to check-in. It was hassle-free, just provide the necessary documentations that’s all. That’s when the staff explained the maintenance and the free upgrade.

I was brought to TR straight away, the friendly staff enlightens me how many villas are there, and there is ONLY ONE, TR. When I step into TR, the place was huge just for me and the missus and the staff notifies us that the rooms on the second level of TR will be locked since there are only two of us, but the public area & balcony on the second level are still accessible.

He went on explaining on the facilities within TR from the kitchen, water dispenser, cutleries, cups, to the living room, living quarters and the bath area.

The “black book” comes in handy whenever I needed something from meals to television channels (I was watching F1 and Soccer over the weekend), activities and all I need to know information…etc just a ring away~

You would think TA is near the main road and would be polluted with noise, the answer is NOPE. It is rather quiet once you’re in TA and in the serenity of your comfort villa.

The staffs even decorate two lovely swans with candle light and rose petals at the jacuzzi area & bathtub on our second night back from our outing.

Overall, I will strongly recommend The Amala to my friends and family members and will visit again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Madlen E, Manager at The Amala, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2014

Dear Steven KKTAN,

Your feedback was a delight to read this morning, thank you very much to take your time to write such a detailed AWESOME review for us on Trip Advisor :). We are very happy that you have enjoyed our services and the upgrade was appreciated. Unfortunately we cannot give all the time room upgrades but whenever possible and available we are always happy to let our guest experience the unexpected.
I truly hope we will have the chance to accommodate you both again here at The Amala.
Once again thank you for staying with us, with best regards from the sunny island of gods

Reviewed 15 April 2014

My husband and I have just got back from a lovely holiday to Bali. We stayed in a spa studio at The Amala. The room was gorgeous, typical Bali style with a wooden pitched roof and outside shower/loo. The Amala is hidden away from the main road and they play relaxing music throughout the exterior, it's a little eden.

We had a fantastic breakfast everyday as well as a free hours treatment that's included in the spa studio rate.

The staff were beautiful people so I can't understand the negative reviews. They went above and beyond for us, booking transfers, private cars, tours and restaurants.

The negative review about the bugs & mosquitoes, well what do you expect in Bali?! It's a tropical island! Every day the staff came in to our room and lit a citronella candle, they even sprayed our room with bug spray if we wished. The water is not drinkable anywhere in Bali so I don't understand this comment either.

If you want to stay close to Seminyak and would like a relaxing stay, then I would highly recommend the spa studios. We will definitely be booking this again for our next visit.

Room Tip: The spa sudios do not have a pool, however there are only 3 spa studios so the pool area is very qui...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Madlen E, Manager at The Amala, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Dear Liza A,
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your wonderful review on trip Advisor. It’s a great compliment for us to have met your high expectations. After all you have booked a holiday to get away from a stressful daily routine and you want to relax and be pampered with a good service, and I am very happy that we could achieve that for you and your husband.
I truly hope to welcome you again to the Amala for your next getaway. Do not hesitate to contact me personally for your next booking, madlen.ernest@theamala.com
The entire Amala Team and I, wish you a great weekend and send you sunny greetings form the island.
Once again thank you for staying with us, hope to see you soon again

Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

My experience at Amala was really mixed so I struggled to give it it's overall rating. My first room (a studio) stunk of cigarettes so I asked to be moved. As I had stayed in a spacious villa at my prior accommodation I was shocked at the room size of the studio and instead got an upgrade to a spa villa. This was much better as there was some room to lounge about. I was traveling alone and would have found the studio very small if I was traveling with a partner. But if you are intending to use it as a base and not be there much it's probably not too bad. The Amala is nice, and has a nice zen feel, but in my view it's not the best property available for its price. I was at Villa Kresna prior and got a lot more for my $$$ space wise.
The upsides: friendly staff, great breakfasts, amazing spa treatments, a very helpful manager (Madlen), the free drop offs.

The downsides: the constant buzz of traffic noise (I'm not just talking about the sound of scooters, Amala is directly around the corner from a main road with fast and constant traffic), the location on a borderline industrial area (not as cute or attractive as areas closer to the beach), the small size of studio rooms.

Did I enjoy it - mostly yes. Would I recommend in terms of value for money - probably not.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Libapotamus
Madlen E, Manager at The Amala, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Dear Libapotamus,
First of all thank you very much for your time to write such a detailed review. It is very important to hear what you have enjoyed and what you like us to improve. In general anywhere in Seminyak you will be surrounded by a certain level of noises, they might be bar music late into the night, construction works, ceremony music at early mornings or honking motorbikes or cars or a barking dog throughout the night. Seminyak is a fantastic place it’s known for the great night life, Spas and beauty salons, amazing restaurants, sport activities and a lot of shopping. I personally believe that we have created here at The Amala a great retreat with our feng shui gardens to ensure the most relaxing atmosphere close enough to all the happenings. We always recommend to our guest to take the opportunity to also experience the opposite to Seminyak and explore surrounding areas such as Ubud. Ubud is very well known for its tranquility and can be truly recommended for any kind of retreat.
Once again I would like to thank you for staying with us, I am happy to see that you mostly enjoyed your stay with us, and I am truly sorry that we could not give you the ultimate experience.
The entire Amala Family and I wish you safe travel wherever you might go
Sunny greetings from Bali
Madlen & The Amala team

Reviewed 4 April 2014

I booked into this lovely boutique spa hotel in Seminyak for three nights to recover from my jet lag before meeting friends in Ubud. I was picked up from the airport & offered a cool cloth and iced tea. I was late due to congestion in the Arrivals area at the airport but the staff kindly let me rebook my welcome massage. After travelling almost 24 hours from Canada this was heaven!
From beginning to end the staff was welcoming, polite and accommodating. They arranged a driver to take me to Ulu Watu as well as Ubud. The spa treatments were lovely as well. I was not too happy with the hand indulgence though - it was more like a basic manicure (and she filed my nails way too short) but a minor glitch overall. I was expecting hands to be dipped in wax etc. I chose to leave a personal tip for another girl who had given me a couple of treatments as her sweetness and eagerness to please was endearing. I left her a sealed envelope with her name on it and I sincerely hope she received it and that it was not shared with others.
The Amala gives special attention to mosquito control and I can honestly say that along with the DEET I applied religiously I did not get one bite, not even at night in the outdoor toilet! This hotel is clean, immaculate, quiet, and everything you would want for a getaway. This is not the place to stay if you want a vibrant beach scene but if you want quiet, zen, spa - it is totally perfect.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Mizboots,
Thank you very much for taking your time to post a Trip Advisor Review. I really appreciate that you have been taking the time to point out what you enjoyed during your stay and what you would improve. Feedback is so important and the only way to improve our services and the attention to details. In regards to the tip envelope left by you with our Spa Manager Widi, Rasmi the Therapist you refer too has received your personal appreciation; she would like to send her regards and special thanks to you.
We are all very happy to see that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Once again thank you for your feedback and suggestions in regards to the hand indulgence treatment.
We hope to welcome you back to The Amala soon again
With sunny greetings from the Island

Reviewed 1 April 2014

This review should have been written in January, but better late than never.
I have to say, the SPA treatments we had were sublime!!! I had the organic facials and my husband and I had the detox body treatment and massage. It was so good that we both snuck in another treatment before we had to check out on our last day, we had the Balinese massage, so therapeutic and executed brilliantly from start to finish. The spa pre-treatment drinks, the snack, the use of the cymbal to get your body and soul ready and in tune for the treatment... All very well delivered and executed. Now this is a real compliment as, we have been to many great spas around the world...

Now for the Spa room, comfy and cozy with a good supply of spa amenities, but here and there needed a bit of maintenance which the Manager assured me would be carried out all over the property soon as the low season would start, giving a great window of opportunity to do necessary upgrades and care to the property. The spa room had an outdoor bath tub, plunge pool/jacuzzi and a separate shower. You could spend all day just lounging by the plunge pool listening to music and just chill in between your spa treatments.

Breakfast was ala carte, fresh and it tasted healthy and delicious. We could have it in our room, which was a great plus.

The complimentary hotel car service to near by stores and restaurants was very helpful, as well as all other small personal touches that they made a point of catering to with per-arrival questioner that they emailed.

Overall, a wonderful experience. Great job Amala team!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear UmiSam,
Thank you very much for posting a review on Trip Advisor, we really appreciate that you have taken the time for it. I am very proud of our Spa team and the positive feedback we receive for our treatments & services here at the Amala. I am so glad that you had a relaxing time and that our Spa could pamper you with our treatments.
Hopefully we will get soon the opportunity again to welcome you back at the Amala for more relaxing treatments.
Sunny greetings from the Island of Gods

Reviewed 30 March 2014

A girlfriend & I spent 3 nights here in March - wonderful well trained staff who are extremely pleasant and helpful. Beautifully appointed rooms with lovely touches such as fragrant oil burners as part of the turn down service. Breakfast was sensational (they've taken the banana pancake to a new level!) The spa treatments were heavenly, we had the stone massage which we had assumed was a hot stone treatment but it wasn't - part of the massage was performed with a smooth stone. it was so nice we had it twice plus a lovely facial. A nice quiet place to relax and retreat from the hustle and bustle. The location is convenient in Seminyak. We had said we would try Ubud for our next short stay, but after experiencing Amala we're not sure now, it's tempting to return. Thank you Amala!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear 07sistas,
Thank you very much for your feedback and sharing your experience during your stay with us. Our Spa treatments are indeed a pure bliss and I am very happy to see that you have enjoyed our Spa services to the fullest. We hope that we will have the opportunity soon again to pamper you here at the Amala.
Once again thank you for staying with us. Sunny greetings from the Island

Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

Just spent 3 nights in their pool villa with my hubby for our anniversary. The pool villa is very beautiful and spacious. It looks exactly like the photos in their website, poster bed was installed in all pool villa now. Everything was a breeze from check-in to check-out. Our pre-ordered set dinner was delicious and they did a wonderful job to create a romantic setting for us. Breakfast was yummy too but options can be better. It can be boring if you are planning to stay for a week. Hot & cold water dispenser is provided so you don't have to worry about the water issue (tap water in Indonesia is not drinkable). Staff were all very friendly and response fast to your needs. The bathroom was very spacious and the toiletries provided were good, especially their in-house soap. Bath oil, bath salt, bath foam & bath bags were provided for you to enjoy a nice relaxing dip in the tub. Really appreciate their turndown service when they would come round to light up the mozzies incense and essential oil.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay a lot and hope to return to try out their spa villa. Last but not least, the location is good too. Step out of the property main entrance, turn to your left, and a whole stretch of shops are there for you to explore.

Thank you to everyone at The Amala who makes our stay here unforgettable.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Madlen E, Manager at The Amala, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Dear Zot_K,
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your feedback on Trip Advisor. It is very important for us to know what you have enjoyed during your stay with us and what could be improved to take our service up the extra step. I am very happy to see that the friendliness of our team and the bathroom amenities and products has left an impression with you and that you overall enjoy your time here at The Amala.
I truly hope we will have the opportunity soon again to welcome and pamper you here at the Amala with our services.
Once again thank you for staying with us, sunny greetings from Bali