“A lovely getaway with your partner”
Review of The Amala

The Amala
Ranked #17 of 144 Hotels in Seminyak
Singapore
“A lovely getaway with your partner”
Reviewed 8 July 2010

Tried out this new resort last year as it was having a promotional rate and relatively cheaper than The Bale. Staff were friendly, esp the manager Lisa. Breakfast was really healthy and nutritious. We tried it once at our villa and the rest of the time, in the main restaurant. The free spa session that came with it was pretty relaxing as well. We stayed in a spa villa, so we got to enjoy the jaccuzzi and a pool plunge when the weather felt too hot. The bath tub and steam room really made the place seem like a home spa. We made full use of the in-room facilities during our stay there. Would certainly recommend this hotel to honeymooners and couples looking for a romantic escapade!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Cancun, Mexico
Reviewed 1 June 2010

We just finished a 6 night stay at the Amala and in general had a very nice time. The hotel is still new and they need to fine tune some details in order to compete with the best hotels of the world. That being said, the staff and their desire to please really make-up for whatever little details are missing in other areas.

The pick-up service from the airport was excellent, driver very nice and spoke good English. We arrived at 1am so it was dark and we didn't get to see much. We booked a spa villa and the outdoor area is very nice. The inside area is also nice but our first impression was a bit tainted because the air conditioning was not on so we walked into a sauna. The air was immediatly turned on and we left it on the rest of our stay. We felt that the air kept the room comfortable but it never got cold like we would have liked sometimes.

The in-villa breakfast service is very good. If you have a longer stay it starts to get old since the menu is fairly limited. When I commented this to the Manager I was told that I could ask for whatever I wanted one day in advance and that they would prepare it specially.

Everytime we wanted to leave the hotel the staff offered to drive us in their car which was appreciated. The hotel offers laundry service but I was looking for a place that would air dry my clothes. The butler took me to the outside laundry and helped me to get my clothes done exactly as I expected. Excellent service!!

We knew that the hotel was not located on the beach which was fine with us. The pool in our villa was lovely and so very private. There are many excellent restaurants within walking distance or a short car ride away. Don't miss dinner at Metis, an amazing experience!! We also really enjoyed our dinner at Chandi for great food at an afordable price.

We would definetly recommend The Amala for any couple looking to relax and for lots of privacy. The place was a perfect place to start our honeymoon.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank betonic
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2010

I very seldom write reviews, however I felt I should do so following my wife and I's stay at the Amala in April 2010.

From the moment I contacted the Amala family before our arrival, the staff were so warm , welcoming, attentive and responsive.

Enquiring about the nature of our trip, once they established we were on our honeymoon, they went even further to make sure we had the holiday of a life time.

On our arrival, we did not have to complete check-in as one is accustomed at most resorts, in the lobby. Instead, we were taken to our stunning villa, where upon the member of staff offered us drinks, and took our details as we relaxed immediately into our surroundings.

And what surroundings these were! We stayed in one of the pool villas, which came complete with open plan kitchen and living room area that ran alongside the pool.

We felt as though we were staying in a kind of oasis, a paradise a world away from the world, so relaxing and comfortable was our villa.

During the first evening, the only distraction came in the shape of a call from reception, asking us what we would like to order for breakfast the following morning, to be delivered and served in our villa.

So it was that every morning, we took the most refreshing of breakfasts, poolside in our villa, what a joy.

On our last night, I arranged for a surprise dinner to be laid on for my wife. The Amala family did the most magnificent job here, setting out rose petals on the bathroom floor in a heart shape with an I Love You sign, and running a bath with petals.

I was also given a bunch of roses on the quiet so that I could give these to my wife.

The terrace was candelit, the candles selectively placed to provide the most romantic of settings for us, after which we were served a wonderful 4 course dinner.

The Amala family's pride shone through in their approach to our dinner. Not only did they work tirelessly to ensure this was a sensational evening for us, but the smiles on their faces and the happinness they shared in this, showed just how much they care for their guests.

I can recommend the Amala to anyone, if you are looking for the most charming of stays, in the most charming of destinations, where you are looked after by the most charming of familes, then look no further.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Melbourne
Reviewed 27 February 2010

Can not fault our stay at the Amala, from the moment we enquired via their web site. We spent 5 nights in a Spa Villa. The service was amazing, the staff were friendly and attentive and took care of all our needs. They gave great information and advise on where to go and what to see, restaurants and dinner reservations. Rooms are beautiful, a divine escape from day to day life. Our room was kept sparkling clean thoughout our stay, and the turn down service creatived a lovely ambiance. The food was fresh and tasty, having breakfast delivered to our room daily was fantastic. If you need some pampering, the spa has a wide range of treatments available. We visited the spa twice during our stay, the first time we experienced the Amala Healing Ritual, can defiently recommend we left on cloud nine. The location is great too! I can't remember the last time I had such a relaxing holiday, We can't thank Lisa and her team enough for such a wonderful stay....

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rowie85
Singapore
Reviewed 24 February 2010

We wanted to celebrate our first year wedding anniversary in a small, boutique resort and happened to chance upon Amala’s website. The villas looked sleek and minimal, just the way we liked it, and it has only 12 villas in its property. Besides, it is also the sister resort of The Bale, so we couldn’t go too far off with our choice. We made a direct booking with the resort as they had an opening package which included a 2-hr spa session and a candle-light dinner for a reasonable rate. Needless to say, we were very much looking forward to a weekend of pampering and romance!

The reservation process was smooth and response prompt and polite. The airport pickup was hassle-free and check-in was done inside the villa. We had booked a spa villa but were upgraded to a pool villa, which was nice. Now to the good points of the resort:

1. The villa was spacious, comfortable and designed with couples in mind.
2. Service staff were all friendly and will do their best to meet your requests. I just want to put in a special note to Lisa – the Resort Manager, to thank her for her hospitality and assistance throughout our stay.
3. Food was generally good and it’s nice to have some selection of healthy recipes to choose from.
4. Free transportation within Seminyak, as long as the cars and drivers are available.
5. Convenient location along Jln Kunti. The shopping area is just 5mins away by foot and it takes about 10-15mins (walking) to get to Jln Laksmana, where all the good restaurants are. Taxis are also plenty and cheap.
6. Very nice spa and excellent therapists.
7. Free wi-fi.
8. Daily complimentary soft drinks and cookies are nice touches.

Areas that could be improved:

1. The villa had the essential amenities expected of a resort of this class, but in my opinion, it would have been better if they had included an iPod dock (I had to request for one), at least a 2.1 system and a DVD player in the bedroom. This could help to move the noise into the bedroom instead of having it drift into the neighboring villa. The neighbor we had on the last night was playing a movie rather loudly until 1.30am. The noise stopped only after I complained twice to the front desk.
2. For a new resort, the maintenance of the villa could be better. Eg., the taps and mixers in the bathroom were coated with scales and a thin layer of algae around the rims of the spout; one of the cupboard doors in the kitchenette became slightly unhinged when I opened it.
3. To standby a waste bin and kitchen towels or have tissue box in the kitchenette.

Personally I think the bed was a little too hard for my liking but that is subjective. The villa is also situated along some flight paths, so you do get a bit of engine noise once in a while, but the area is generally quiet and peaceful at night.

Overall, I think there's room for improvement for the resort and there is definitely potential for it to do better. I think for those who are going to Bali for the first time, The Amala would be a good place to stay. You can tell the staff are willing to do their best for their guests and with proper housekeeping and maintenance, I believe this resort will continue to flourish.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple