“Simply awesome & my best experience ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Bonsai Villas

and 1 more site!
Bonsai Villas
Ranked #102 of 143 Hotels in Seminyak
Singapore, Singapore
“Simply awesome & my best experience ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2011

Bonsai villas is a hidden gem in Seminyak, tucked away in a little alley away from the main road. It is so awesome, I got blown away first by Rudi's hospitality - he came out of the office to help guide the car for parking, brought us cold juice and then he brought us to our villa. In Bali everyone is smiling and Rudi has such a genuine smile - I think that is special for him as he sees the look of awe on our face for he and his friend IS THE DESIGNER and I tell you the decor is awesome.

It is very zen and japanese-themed and very lush with all the pretty flowers lining the pathways. Made me feel very tropical indeed. The villa itself is enclosed by a wall but you don't feel oppressed or walled up cos the wall is lined with all the plants and flowers. The living room, kitchen and toilet are open-concept. It makes the space very private yet airy. and the bedroom was so lovely cos there was a mosquito net (its a nice mosquito net) hanging over the bed and it is just pure elegance with all its draping. I think that was a winner for me. It was unusual bathing in the open-concept garden with the resident bird that lived in the palm tree and one little froggy which I at first was scared of but then they do look rather cute. The only drawback I would say is the mosquito but Rudi and gang would come in and arm the place with mosquito coils and ensure that we have a comfy stay and he also said to call them in the middle of the night if we are getting bitten and they would come armed with mosquito-killing-devices.

I would gush about this place for longer but I think pictures would tell a thousand words, so check out the Bonsai Villas website to get a feel of wt I am saying and of course GO THERE and experience it for yourself. Then come back and gush.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Enhui

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2011

We have just returned from a wonderful week at Bonsai. When booking, Rudi made us well aware there would be building of 2 new villas happening during our stay, and he offered us a discount. I was a bit apprehensive as I was needing a real rest after a heavy work load. I need not have worried, the builders kept noise to a minimum and were very unobtrusive.
We arrived early and tho our room was not yet vacant we were made welcome by Rudi and staff, offered a welcome drink, a place to store our luggage. We were given a map of the local area and went off to explore whilst waiting for the proper check in time. The villas are extremely well located at the back of bintang supermarket, away from the noise of the main street. lots of shops and restaurants nearby with a short taxi drive to eat street. The beach is a 15 min walk away.
We were shown to our stunning villa, so private and comfortable, absolutely NO problem with security even tho the living area is open to the garden.
The gardens are just beautiful with several magnificent bonsai's and a big pond full of koi at the entrance
The staff are exceptional nothing was too much trouble, always available without being intrusive. When we lost power due to a rain storm the boys were there with lanterns and dropping the bamboo blinds.
We were fortunate enough to be the only guests for 4 out of the 7 nights so we had the pool to ourselves, Rudi and the staff were on hand with offers of coffee and pool towels we felt like we were in a private pamper salon for 7 days. We picked up the dreaded Bali Belly so Rudi phoned out and had medication personally delivered to our villa for us. Plenty of helpful advice regarding restaurants and places of interest.

When we left it was like saying goodbye to very dear friends, thank you ALL so much for the best time in Bali
Cherie

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank DJUMA
bonsaiseminyakbali, Owner at Bonsai Villas, responded to this review, 11 May 2011
Dear writer we cannot thank you enough for you warm comments.The little extras we do are not a problem but a service our staff are trained to do to help you feel your are important to us as are all our guests .We look forward to your return visit.

Warm regards to you both.

Rudi & staff
otaki nz
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2011

We stayed at Bonsai Villas for 2 weeks in March 2011 and couldn't believe the wonderful
location of the Villas and the exceptional service we received from Rudi and Merv. Not only were they wonderful so were all their staff - nothing was too much trouble for them.
Unlike our friends who had stayed at other accommodation in February and did not receive all the wonderful "Local Knowledge" that we did - Rudi & Merv advised us the great places to shop - to visit and of course where to eat. Upon our return home & comparing notes & prices of our respective accommodation & service our friends have already booked their next stay at Bonsai Villas
The villas are located only 2 mins. walk to the main shopping area - they are just behind
Bintang supermarket which is so so handy.
It doesn't seem to matter what time you go out in the day it is never a problem for the staff to pop in & have your villa beautifully cleaned & neat as a pin bfore your return. The cleanliness was excellent.
When we visited Cocoa Beach - to watch the amazing sunset - & go elephant riding getting there was not an issue - Rudi organised the transport for us. Nothing was to much trouble - it was like they had all the time in the world to advise us on anything & everything. As there is only 4 villas at Bonsai it is the ultimate place to stay for quietness
& relaxation.
We had the most wonderful holiday we have ever had and it was thanks to the awesome team at Bonsai. We will be back as soon as we can. Thank you..

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kevinotakinz
melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2011

Our first impressions was - wow how unusual- this is fabulous. Bonsia Villas are set in a beautiful secluded japenese inspired setting only 2 minute walk to Seminyak Street- for cafes shops and the Bintang supermarket. Location is perfect. We stayed in early April (4 nights) when there was construction of 2 new Villas. We were made perfectly aware of this prior to our arrival with discounted rates. The villas are designed for 2, however Rudi accomodated my elderly mum for a night by installling a single bed (flowers all all) with mossie net in the lounge room .
As described in many posts- these villas are completely open with pull down bamboo blinds for the night. Each Villa is surrounded by a high garden wall and the enterance is lockable. The bedoom is completely enclosed and also has a lock on the door.
A special little treat is the outdoor shower and toilet - just beautiful having a shower with the birds! We always felt secure at Bonsia - and walking down the dark streets at night - we commented that you could never do this in Australia !!!
Rudi and this team are always available to lend a hand and give advice freely on dining, trips and taxies. So warm and friendly were Rudi and his team that it felt like leaving friends behind when we drove off to our next location.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank larose
bonsaiseminyakbali, Owner at Bonsai Villas, responded to this review, 29 April 2011
All at bonsai thank you for your review.You were great guests making it such a pleasure to attend to you.We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your return.

Kind regards

Rudi
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2011

I recently visited and stayed at the villa with my sister - who beat me to logging onto trip advisor (she wrote the review below).

I cannot say enough positive things about our experience at Bonsai Villas. I agree with everything my sister said - Rudi and his team truly were excellent and accommodating hosts.

The location felt peaceful - we could hear the birds singing each morning and evening, and had the pool to ourselves most of the time. However it was literally a two minute walk and we had access to cafes, a huge supermarket, the works.

I felt extremely safe at the villas. Whilst the villas are an appropriate open-air setting, blinds and doors can be closed, and there is a front gate to your own villa which can also be locked.

I will be going back for sure! Thank you Rudi!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank rktigger
bonsaiseminyakbali, Owner at Bonsai Villas, responded to this review, 22 April 2011
Thank you for taking time to write your review, very much appreciated.Feedback from our guests make us feel we have done everything right.Please do not hesitate to contact us if you think of any improvements we can make. Rudi and staff look forward to your return visit.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2011

We have recently stayed with the lovely Rudi and Co at Bonsai Villas - what a treat!!! From the moment we arrived (and Rudi came out to greet us as we got out of the taxi!), to our departure (where Rudi personally got in touch with us to offer us use of a villa to freshen up before a late flight), the whole experience was just delightful.

The pool is just perfect (well for my preferences anyway) - large enough to do some laps, whilst cosy enough that you can converse with others around the pool with ease. However, most of the time we were lucky enough to have the pool to ourselves! My favourite part of my daily swims was Rudi coming to offer us a coffee - which was always beautifully presented on a little platter with fresh flowers and a chocolate biscuit (awesome!).

The villa itself is well described on the website and in below comments.... however I would say that my sister and I (two youngish females) felt completely safe for the entire trip. Perhaps more so than with a big chain hotel where you are just a number. Rudi and his staff knew our whereabouts and were on call 24 hours a day (honestly... they were there for us when we had a 3am query!) As there are just a few villas, the whole staff get to know you, and when you are/aren't in your villa, and I find such personalised service refreshing and comforting in a foreign country.

The villa is half open, with the only fully closed 'room' being the bedroom. However the living area has pull down shades which can close off the rain (if there is any) and change the feel of the area. The villa itself has large walls and a lockable door, so is by no means accessable to anyone and everyone! The minibar prices are same as the supermarket next door, but saves you the walk if you are feeling lazy!

Mozzies are abundant (this is case all through Bali though), but its nice to sleep under the mozzie nets which are all nicely set up (if requested), and have someone pop into our villa at dusk each day to light some mozzie coils.

Dealing with Rudi, from the initial booking over emails through to our departure, has been lovely. He strikes me as an honest and fair gentleman, always ready with a smile and super eager to do anything he can to ensure the stay is perfect.

Overall, we absolutely loved our stay at Bonsai Villas and are hoping to head back soon. In the meantime, we would recommend it to anyone heading to Bali - the location is unbeatable, the villas are the most wonderful tropical escape and the staff are ever attentive and helpful.

Thanks for a wonderful holiday Bonsai Villas!!!! :-)

• Stayed April 2011
bonsaiseminyakbali, Owner at Bonsai Villas, responded to this review, 20 April 2011
All at Bonsai villas thank you for your great review.You were two lovely sisters who appreciated
all we did.It was a pleasure to look after you as it is for all our guests.Next time try our in-house
massage ..its a wow
We look forward to your return

Warm regards to you both.

Rudi & staff.
New York, NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2011

The villas (of which there are only 2), are quite beautiful and well maintained. Our problem was of a more personal nature. When we arrived, we were not greeted or anything, but rather a staff person (who was also Security and spoke no English) took our bags and deposited them in what we thought was the reception area due to the openness of it. Turned out to be our room. In the main living room/kitchen, there are basically no walls-everything is completely open- to people, animals, insects, etc. The bedroom has a lock, and there is a wall that surrounds each villa with a door that locks, but that wall is about 6 feet high, and if someone was motivated, they could climb it and enter our main living room.
We immediately called Rudi and tried to explain our situation- we basically didn't feel safe. To add to that, my husband was to be heading back home in the middle of the stay so I would have been alone, which again, due to the openness of everything, I was apprehensive to do. I was also supposed to be coming back alone in a matter of a few weeks by myself. We tried to come up with a compromise- he should keep the deposit for that stay but I requested that he return my deposit for the future stay as he would have ample time to re-book the room. He refused to compromise. After a lot of back and forth (in which Rudi claimed to not be the owner of the villas), we received an email including the following:

"You are right i am the owner but when i get a guest whom i find a bit difficult to deal with i call my western friend who financed me to build Bonsai. I find many western tourists have an attitude to locals which i cannot cope with but that same person is much different when confronting another westerner"
"Perhaps its because your from America where almost everybody has a gun,the most lax laws in the world,plus the most murders and rapes. So to some degree i can see why you feel for your safety"

My response- that's funny. I am Indian and grew up in India, so am quite culturally sensitive. In fact, I was invited by several Balinese to their temples during my stay in Bali, which is quite an honor. They wouldn't have invited me if they thought I had an attitude. Further, my sense of safety can come from wherever- Rudi has no clue what I've been through in my life and what sort of situations make me uncomfortable/unsafe. He was incredibly insensitive to a woman who was, for the most part, traveling alone.

I'm sure the hotel will attempt to respond to this posting so I will jump ahead and address what they're going to say.
First, they will probably say that the pictures on the website show the rooms to be open. True, but we did not realize that you cannot actually close those spaces.
Second, they will probably say that the cancellation policy is posted on the website. It was, but it was written in poor English, and has since been cleaned up a bit. Also, we were trying to be reasonable and have him keep the deposit for the stay at hand and return the one for the future stay since he could have easily re-booked it. He was beyond reasoning with and just appeared greedy and unhelpful. More importantly, this was not a cancellation due to a whimsical change of plans. This was a cancellation due to security concerns. Also, Rudi was trying to sell me traveler's insurance beforehand. So either way, he makes money off of me. Great business tactics!
Third, they will say that no other guests expressed security concerns, and no incidents have happened. I think that's besides the point. We felt uncomfortable, and regardless of what other people think, why should we stay and feel that way? We certainly don't want to be their first victims, and THEY certainly wouldn't want us to be their first victims.
All in all, stay somewhere else for the money. There are nicer hotels and villas- some right on the beach with breakfast included- for the same price. Given that Rudi thinks Westerners have an attitude, perhaps Westerners should stay somewhere else.

Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
20 Thank worldthroughfood1
bonsaiseminyakbali, Owner at Bonsai Villas, responded to this review, 12 April 2011
we are very sorry we could not satisfy the above writer.

readers please go to the 90% positive reviews below.