“Almost perfect”
Review of D'Djabu Hotel

D'Djabu Hotel
Ranked #24 of 117 Seminyak B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 July 2012

This was our first stop in Bali after over a day of travel from the USA. We wanted a cheap, yet nice place to get over jet lag. We stayed here, 2 nights. We got much more than we expected! The pool was wonderful! The service was great. The room was clean, basic, and excellent for the money. The hotel was small and beautiful. It was absolutely in the heart of Seminyak, yet a block down a very quiet road. The large, made to order, free, breakfast was delicious!

The first problem we had with the experience was the loud construction and banging starting at 9 am and then on and off all day. It was impossible to sleep through. It was super weak for trying to get over serious jet lag. The last problem we had was the water went out our last day there. That equals no toilet as well. We were happy it was our last day. This was our first time to Bali so we weren't sure if this was normal. We found that we didn't have any water issues anywhere else on the island, so we're not sure what to make of the situation at d'Djabu. So much about this hotel was so nice that we can't say we wouldn't give it another try. Maybe a one night trial.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AmyandTYanna

Reviewed 19 June 2012

This is my husbands and I second time in Bali, this time we came with another couple. Last time we stayed in a five star resort so unfortunetly for Premier we had a high standard to compare it to!
If you are looking for a 5 to 6 star quality and service then this is not the place for you!
We stayed in the private villa and yes there are a few things the staff could do to make it a higher standard little things like not forgetting to replenish water bottles and giving all floor tiles and walls a good scrub. The breakfast was good but small servings for our hungry men
We felt safe and secure the staff are humble, gentle and always did their best to serve and rectify any small issues.
Premier put on a free delicious BBQ and we all had a fun night getting to know management and staff. Oh I must mention the girls in the spa rooms are excellent! We went 3 times!
Remember your in tropical Bali so there will be flies, Mosquitos and ants Just bring repellant! Or ask the staff and be patient as they didn't learn English like you and I! The staff are young and eager to learn how to make this small,humble resort a better place to stay, as it has recently been taken over by Premier. I would like to stay again as I'm sure next time we visit there will be many more improvements we can't wait to see this little jewel shine!

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank connie r
Reviewed 18 June 2012

Perfect for our large group.
Yummy breakfasts and close to the town.
Safe environment and gorgeous surroundings.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank AshleighPoole
Reviewed 13 June 2012

My wife and I are just back after staying here for a fortnight on our honeymoon, we had one of the two bedroom villas. We really enjoyed our stay here but there are just a few small improvements that would've made it excellent and if premier management got their finger out it could be a first class place to stay in Bali. The layout of the villas themselves are lovely and I'll bet they were beautiful when they were first built but lack of proper maintenance and cleaning has left them a bit run down in places. The bathroom and kitchen area really could do with a good scrub using proper scouring and anti-bacterial liquid and the floors of the villa really should be getting disinfected each and every day, I feel for the cleaners as I know these boys try but heave clearly not been trained properly. Maintenance also suffered a bit, I asked why the cooking hob wasn't working and was told it was too dangerous so they just cut off the gas, leaving us with just a tired looking microwave for any meals also the DVD remote was broken so you couldn't control the sound levels if you wanted to chill and watch a DVD at night without disturbing the neighbours. That being said I can't understand the complaints of the last few reviews, the staff were great and responsive (especially manni) and the security great (never once did we feel unsafe) the villa is only a short walk from seminyak square and don't listen to the fright stories of the last 3 reviewers, hugely exaggerated and quite disrespectful to Bali as a whole. On the plus side the private pool in the villa was fantastic and cleaned daily (no issues there and the pool boy was very good) the bedrooms were wonderful, clean and very good A/C in them and the sun loungers and furniture good enough, the day bed is more a design feature than function piece of furniture so dont complain if its looking run down (it wasn't anyway) and the outside showers in the bathroom were great. IF the management made these small improvements then I'd consider staying again on this wonderful island, thanks again to the staff.
Andrew & Hannah Brown

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Broon30
Reviewed 5 June 2012

I went and stayed here for my friends birthday for 10 days.
They don't get points for anything.

When we arrived at 6pm they had said to us that they would have a meal for us so we wouldnt have to go out, boy what a surprise it was for us girls to go out on our first night there for dinner, lucky we found a sport bar around the corner.

Our room was faulsly advertised, and when we asked for the room advertised the receptionist said 'no as it was a villa, whih will be an exta price"

Our first night was pretty much ruined, then we looked through our room with four walls and two beds to find the safe, which wasnt there either. We complained and asked for one to be installed bfore we arrived back from dinner which ended up being 2 hours later, BUT NOTHING.
It took them 3 days to put one in.

We thought we were going there to relax and have a nice time but every time we arrived back there the staff were hanging around smoking near the laundry, the receptionist would harass us for money for things when we had already paid for.

They speak a few words of english which annoyed me major. They tried to rip us off for laundry, making us pay the rate for mens clothing and way too many items than what we had in our suitcase.

The lobby itself is a tiny bathroom sized room with a laptop computer and not much else. We were escorted to our room on the second floor of the establishment. It had two wall-length windows directly to the outside that could not be closed fully, let alone locked. The bathroom also had windows with the same locking issue. Needless to say considering the hotel is located in a field surrounded by a garbage dump on one side, I was scared out of my wits. The bathroom was filthy, filled with mold, no tiles, and dirty grouting.

They are located next to a kids soccer field and rice fields which wasnt nice as you got woken very morning, wasnt a nice view from our front door and windows.

I would go back to Seminyak but NEVER stay there again.

Room Tip: If you stay there pay the extra money for a Villa.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank KristyK6
Bali P, Sales E-Commerce at D'Djabu Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2012

Dear Valued Client,

Thank you very much for your kind review, again , we do apologize for any inconvenience

This is we guess a group comment on our property., three similar comments must be enough for reminding our operations for this lack. and we would do our best for improvement.,

I just do not intend to do repetition in clarifying.,since it was being clearly informed ,
we only provide for morning meals (breakfast) and for dinner or lunch must be confirmed and booked firmly in advance and at your own cost. it has been clearly informed. But if there is no further confirmation , nothing would be prepared, Hope this is understandable

Pictures of the hotel and villas have been well separated advertised with each title that you may realize on.

Regards,

Reviewed 1 June 2012

As a solo traveler safety is my top priority. consequently d'djabu appealed to me because it was seemingly close to the airport and the hotel offered a shuttle service. Boy was I wrong.

The shuttle did pick me up and drove me down a dark alley to the hotel. It was frightening; an open field on one side with a small wall to prevent unwanted guests from wandering on to the hotel grounds. But honestly there could have been no wall as the hotel allowed several dodgy characters to enter and exit the hotel at all hours of the night.

I was escorted to my room which is motel style... Ie the door from the room leads directly to the outdoors. Not a big deal but not my preference, however it was definitely problematic as the curtains on the front windows could not be closed. I felt like a sitting duck.

While walking up to my room I noticed that most of the rooms were vacant. As I entered the room a musty smell greeted me; I thought the smell would disparate once the ac ran for a little. Wrong again. The smell transformed into a raw sewage stench that truly had a life of its own. In the morning I had to use the facilities and puked from the smell. truly a horrific experience. I checked out at once and made my way to a hotel near kuta beach.

Bali generally: overrated and truly a first class dump. Constantly harassed on the beach by the kuta cowboys (google it if you're unfamiliar) and other pestering vendors. Nicer beaches in Mexico. Cuba, Dominican, Thailand etc.

Changed my flight and got off that hole of an island after 3 days never to return.

• Stayed: May 2012
3  Thank DonNYC123

Dear Client

A valuable comment has been presented. Thank you so much
On behalf of our management, sure we would like to apologize if any error and any weakness we have done toward you as our client. We do hope that you are our truly client., however, as a service provider, we do never ever expect an "over the top" comment upon our property, but we would be trying our best in servicing best

We realize this comment must be made the same as "Fright Night" review (kindly looked down) our overall response must be also the same., there is no intention to disappoint our clients

Reviewed 1 June 2012

D'djabu- Fright Night

Arrived here after landing around midnight. The only positive thing I have to say was that my fiancee and I arrived alive at the hotel. It was pitch black, barely lit, and staff was casually hanging out chain smoking in what appeared to be the area near the lobby. The lobby itself is a tiny bathroom sized room with a laptop computer and not much else.

The bathroom was filthy, filled with mold, cracked tiles, and dirty grouting. For $70 USD a night we expected better. As the night progressed the bathroom became enveloped in the smell of raw sewage. Words cannot describe the stench. Needing to use the facilities I wrapped my face up in a scarf but could only tolerate being in there for one minute. I came out gagging and breathless.

If the above doesnt scare you off staying here, make sure you eat lots of the expired ketchup at breakfast. The ?"meat" sausages were orange, the bacon and eggs were raw. I'll give them a positive review on their croissants however.

Needs to say thank God we only booked for one night. In the am after sleeping with one eye open we rushed out of there at 7am. I wouldn't wish this stay on my worst enemy.

The rest of our vacation was spent in Ubud. A lot of Westerners have an ill-conceived notion of Bali and it's beaches. The place is awful, I plead you to save your money and skip this myth by going anywhere in the Carribean: Mexico, DR, Bahamas, Antigua.

I hope this has been helpful, and please look down and read the review about the poor lady whose baby's eyes were burnt by the acid in the pool.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Alexandra X

Dear Lovely clients,

Greeting from Premier Hospitality Management,

Thank you so much for your kind review on our property.,
However, we would love to do several clarification,

1. regarding the light in the hotel you stated, we expressly would like to say that this is a boutique hotel where lighting set as in hotel ambiance. It is soft lighting, not spot lighting. Hope this could be understandable.
2. About the lobby, we are a mini boutique hotel, not a big 5-starred chain hotel. A less spacious room hopes to not distract our more spacious service.
3. About any operational thing of the property, we are sure that our operational dept. has been well operating the house for this several months managing. And about the window on the bathroom it must be ventilation not a close-open window
4. For the breakfast, it is really embarrassing if the ketchup we gave was really the expired one, but we do believe that all food and beverage has been checked well with a good hygiene and sanitation. It is really pity if food we provided is something which is not good for our clients. we do not want to embarrass our owns. Thus, all has been well assured
5. We got your review has been so helpful for our improvement and for reflecting to our weaknesses and limitations., of course we do not want to suggest the clients to look back on 2011 review since we just took over this property from the previous management at the beginning of the year with a big renovation the following days and hope all will be better on the next steps.
6. We thought the concern was overgeneralized to our awesome Bali

Thank you so much for your kind review

regards