“Incredibly Delighted”

Ranked #135 of 413 Speciality Lodging in Seminyak
Los Angeles, California
“Incredibly Delighted”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2012

I purchased my stay here through an online travel deal website. Sometimes those things are a let down, but this time it was hugely successful!

I was picked up from the airport. The car waited over 2 hours for me as the lines at the airport customs were amusement park sized. I was so thankful they waited so long.

Every member of the staff, every single one, had a smile and greeting every time they saw me. They were very helpful in acquiring a car and driver to take to all the sites of Bali all day long for only ~$40 US a day. I really enjoyed the comfort of the car and security of the service.

The room service was prompt and the food delicious! The amenities were a great plus too! Free wifi and free breakfast delivered daily were the cherries on top for me. I'll never complain about having a personal pool though either.

As for the villa itself, I was more than pleased. First off the villa was massive. The bathroom could comfortably fit 30+ people. An enormous bed sat before french doors that opened onto the pool area. And there was personal cabana too! Every room had at least one wall of windows. Mosquito nets were unobtrusively hung throughout. I used the ones around the bed at night only and never got bit. All of the details had been looked after.

Had a massage and loved it.

The cons: a bit out of the way. The road other reviews mention is only unpaved for the last 3 mins of the drive. Hardly worth worrying about. Otherwise the tap water does smell a tad sulfuric. And the shower can run terribly hot if you're not careful.

I would absolutely recommend a friend to stay here. I loved it!

Room Tip: I stayed in Villa "K"
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank K H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

We had looked forward to our trip to Bali and was offered a honeymoon package by Amor Bali which was a little pricey, and yet we thought was worth it if it proves to be a memorble experience.
The staff received us at the airport and were quite courteous along the trip to the villa. The small road to the villa was bumpy but bearable. When we reached the reception at villa to check in, the package was not as promised in the package, but we told the staff to clarify with the manager after I showed him my correspondence with the Manager on the package details. He said would get back to me, of which I agreed.
Upon entering our villa, it was quite a disappointment, as the villa was in a badly maintained condition, unlike what was shown in the pictures. The pool wasn't clean, the taps in the toilet were rusty, with sudden spurts of dirty water (which smelled funny) bursting out from the pipes. All these we thought were still bearable, and my partner and I tried to contain our disappointment from each other so as not to spoil the trip. We decided to stay in the villa to dine in as it was a little inconvenient to get out and getting back in the dark in a cab would seem to pose another problem as well. We ordered room service, afterwhich a storm brewed and it started raining heavily, with strong gusts of wind. In the midst of ur dinner, a blackout occurred, which we tried to think was normal as the storm was quite bad, and were glad when the electricity came back after a few minutes. However, 3 hours later, another lackout occurred, and this time we waited too, but the electricity did not come on. After 20 minutes of waiting, we decided to walk to the reception and find out form the staff what is going on. There was no torch for us to use, but luckily both of us have "torch applications" on our iPhones. We found our way to Reception in the rain, found one staff lighting up a candle at the Reception area and we tried to ask th problem behind the blackout and whether someone is fixing it. Initially, he said that there is no staff to do anything about it, and we persisted on something to be done as there was no ventilation and we had suffered numerous mosquito bites all over. The one mosquito coil in the room did not help either. Afterwhich, he told us it will be fixed in the next hour or so. We went back to our villa and 2+ hours had passed before the electricity came back on. By then, we were all covered in mosquito bites and feeling very uncomfortable at 3+am in the morning.
Thinking I wouldn't want to experience blackouts constantly and suffer the same scenario that will ruin the trip planned for my partner's birthday, I decided to check out the next morning. I went to the reception early in the morning at 8+am to tell them of my intention to check out, and the staff at the reception said that they would have to consult their manager. 1+hour later, they called to tell me that it is ok to check out, and when asked for the total price that I have to pay, they said they would check for me, after which they called back and charged me a quarter (I booked 4 nights for the villa initially)of the initial honeymoon package costs. I felt it wasn't reasonable as I had not enjoyed any of the services provided in the honeymoon package, such as the spa sessions, the lunch, the candlelit dinner etc. All I had was room service for dinner the night before and breakfast, which is included in any published rates. I reasoned with the staff and they said they would have to consult their manager as they could not make a decision. That I understood and did not pursue further till the moment of check out and they insisted I pay a quarter of the package, as they are unable to contact their manager. I was not willing to, and reasoned with them, and they could reduce the price from USD 262.50 (quarter of the package) to USD 225 on their own, without consulting their manager. I was a little shocked and still reluctant to hand over the credit card in my hand, but just then the phone at the reception rang. My partner understood a little of Malay and we heard the staff conveying the situation on hand to the other party on the phone, but the other staff just took my credit card and said to the female staff on the phone "don't do it" in Malay, and eventually swiped it. I asked the staff to ask the manager to call me as I am still in Bali, and the staff demanded to take the card of the villa that I am shifting to as he said he needed it for reference purposes. I think not, as after that, not only did the manager not respond to my email sent to him regarding the incident, he did not call back either, and they refused to transfer my calls to the manager each time i dialled,citing the reason that the manager is not around. Eventually, the manager only replied on courtesy on the day I flew back, as they had my itinerary that was sent to them when I placed my booking. The reaction by the staff and the manager was a huge disappointment and I'll take the excess paid for the villa as a one-time off lesson I learnt, of which I definitely will not return to the villa and would not recommend any of my friends to stay either.

Room Tip: Rooms are poorly maintained. There are better ones out there in Bali.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Disappointment1
Wayan A, Manager at Amor Bali Villa, responded to this review, 25 May 2012
Dear Valued Traveler,
My warmest greetings from Amor Bali Villas.

On behalf of the New Management team at Amor Villa, we do know exactly what is the client need and expected during your stay with us.
therefore we take over the Villa since May 2012, we believe with our experiences team is good to the property and our clients.

hope to welcome you again at Amor Villa

with best regards
Management
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2012

We had booked for a 4N stay this coming end 22 Jan 2012.However repeated emails sent, phone calls for clarification went unanswered before my arrival date, phone calls rung for 20mins yet still nobody answers!
Was so worried whether this Villa is still in operation?! I wonder where is their customer service?!

• Stayed January 2012
4 Thank Kiligulu
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2011

If the biggest concern is an unpaved road...

I absolutely adored this place. It is a short taxi ride ( about $1.50 worth ) from Seminyak/Legian and most days I walked it anyway. The villas are brilliant, service was perfect and I honestely can't fault this place. The staff are so helpful and friendly and do their best to make you feel welcome, while still giving you privacy. They really took great care of me. The pool at each villa is fantastic too and with the whole villa opening up on to the pool/outside area it really is just idyllic. Would recommend anyone looking for a romantic, relaxing getaway to stay here for sure ( I was on my own actually and it still was the best experience! )

Definitely would/will recommend this place.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Anna H
Paris, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2011

I stayed at Amor Bali Villas in seminyak for 3 nights after staying in Legian. The villas are actually called man and women villa so make sure you tell the taxi drivers this name instead.

The villas are about a 10 minute drive from the main area in Seminyak. Each villa has a private pool with a poolside bed. A large living room separate bedroom and a massive bathroom with a separate bath tub and shower. The villas are huge and great value. There is free wifi which you can use at the reception area or I found it worked in the villa everywhere including poolside except for the bedroom.

You can have breakfast served poolside in your villa at whatever time you choose and the breakfast is great! Fresh fruit and pastries as well as eggs.
Theres also a free shuttle service into town but make sure you call reception to ensure the car is ready before you head down. Its also only about a 20,000 RPH taxi ride into seminyak and depending on traffic you can taxi into Kuta/Legian for under 40,000 Rupiah.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Sarah-Jane86
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2011

We arrived at Man and Woman Villa for a 10 night stay. As mentioned in previous reviews the road to the villa is not perfect, however we drove down at least twice a day and never had any complaints from taxi drivers at all.

On arrival at reception we were greeted by friendly staff and given a welcome drink and wet towel. We arrived before check in time but our room was ready and as we walked through the door we couldn't believe how good the villa was!! All of the rooms were massive, the bathroom humongous although probably could have been put to better use and the bed was so large you could probably fit about 10 people in it!!! The pool is a great size too for a private pool. I had expected it to be much smaller but you could swim in it easily and we spent a lot of time in it given the weather was so hot!!

Breakfast is delivered each morning to the villa, you simply choose what you want the night before, what time you want it delivered and whether you want a wake up call before hand. After a 10 night stay it does become a bit tedious but it does wherever you are and they did try and vary it as much as possible!

The villa is located away from the main streets but this did not cause us any issues. We used the shuttle to get to main areas if we wanted, we arranged trips to come and collect us and taxis were no issue at all. Taxi's from Seminyak were about $2-$3 and from further away Kuta maybe around $5 so pennies really. This villa is a place for relaxing and chilling out not partying and it's location is perfect for this.

Even in the main areas it was not very busy so we spent a few nights in the villa drinking the duty free! One point to note is that the villa bar only serves beer, no spirits or wine which was a bit of a hindrence if you hadn't stocked up on arrival! Fortunately we had plenty!

All of the staff we spoke to were so nice, friendly and helpful in particular Maddie and Yan.

At the end of the 10 night say we were sad to leave but had intended on staying at a more resorty type hotel for the last few nights. The other hotel turned out to be an absolute hell hole - Grand Kuta - see my other review on this and we spent around 34 hours lookig for other hotels to stay in.

In the end we all decided that we couldnt' beat the luzury of the Man and Woman Villa and decided to go back for the remainder of the trp as we knew it would be a good ending to a brilliant holiday.

There are a couple of tiny things which culd be improved by the villa which we mentioned to them when we left but they were so minor it's not worth mentioning and I am certain that those issues will be addresses as the staff cared so much about the reputation of this place.

We have stayed in many 5 star hotels around the world and this lives up to most of them. If you want a mega relaxing time in luxury then this is the place for you!!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mrshoeson
Seoul, South Korea
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2011

I read the previous posters reviews 2 days before I was due to arrive at the villa so I was a bit worried about it on arrival. As other posters have mentioned, the road to the villa hasn't been paved yet but we didn't find this to be a big deal. We walked to the villa a couple of times late at night and had no problems at all. In fact, it was raining the one night and a chap living next to our villa stopped and offered us a lift. Everyone in the area is very friendly as are most Balinese people anyway, and there is a local school on the way to the villa. Everyone we met was very friendly and helpful. Not something that people need to worry about.

Regarding taxis to the villa. Again we never had a problem. All you need to do is remember 'Jalan Bidadari'. Jalan means street and Bidadari is the street name. All the taxi drivers we engaged with spoke excellent English and were very helpful. By the way, some taxi drivers will try it on so from the centre of Seminyak to the villa it was around 12000 RHP (just over a dollar). We usually gave the driver 20,000 including a tip and they were very happy about that. When looking for a taxi it is best to use the blue bird service (theres a picture of a bluebird on top of the car) and they always use the meter without question.

When leaving the villa, the resort were always more than happy to provide the shuttle service with in a reasonable distance. i.e. Legian, Kuta, and Seminyak.

The villa itself was great in my opinion and very good value for money. Nowhere is perfect and Bali itself seems to have turned into a money machine. However, this villa gave good quality service, friendly staff and the location was very peaceful and relaxing. We stayed for 10 days, left for another hotel that was booked previously, and actually came back for the last 4 days of our trip as the Grand Aston Kuta that we went to was a pigsty. We were very happy to be back in the villa and the staff were very welcoming.

The rooms were huge, top of the range flatscreen, dvd, and surround sound in the living room for those quiet nights in and a minibar that had a very reasonable price list. We took a few cheeky bottles of spirits with us and set up our own cocktail factory on the bar. Cocktails by the pool before heading out for the evening.

The bed was huge and really comfortable. My wife is now urging me to buy one of similar size. I don't think I have ever slept so well on a holiday in a strange bed. Two big thumbs up there.

The bathroom was huge and perhaps too big but had all the amenities that you need (shower, toilet, Bdae (spelling?), large bath tub, vanity set, sinks etc). I think after looking at the photos of the previous poster and others saying the bathroom wasn't cleaned properly, that this wasn't the case. What's happening is simply a sheen is being created when the water dries off quickly due to the heat on the tiles and on the sinks. The staff came in and cleaned everyday and were very thorough.

The pool was fantastic although a little chilly on cloudy days but once you are in you are in and I didn't let it bother me. 1.2 meters deep, nice for a little excercise in the morning and sitting with a beer or cocktail in the afternoon. We were in there morning, noon, and night to be honest.

Breakfast was served everyday on the dot as set the previous evening. The general choice was eggs (various styles), bacon, toast and sausage. Choice of tea or coffee, plus choice of juice, plus plate of fruit, and fresh croissants. Was very ample. I think it would of been nice to have the option of Nasi Goreng too though as it is the local dish and after staying for two weeks I have bacon coming out of my ears. That being said, the breakfast was cooked well and I rarely felt the need for lunch afterwards.

Finally, the staff. We were very impressed by the staff. Very friendly, yet professional. Easy to talk to and get advice about different activities, places and events. They really looked after us and we were very happy with them.

I can honestly say that if there were problems before then the management there have been listening and made some changes.

Good job Man/Woman Villa we will be back!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Donaldsaki
Also consider these accommodations in or near Seminyak
Kumala Hotel
#50 of 137 in Sanur
Kanishka Villas
Kanishka Villas
#42 of 413 in Seminyak

Been to Amor Bali Villa? Share your experiences!