“Worn, tacky lights, uncomfy deck chairs but great location” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Amor Bali Villa

Amor Bali Villa
Ranked #136 of 409 Speciality Lodging in Seminyak
Singapore, Singapore
“Worn, tacky lights, uncomfy deck chairs but great location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2011

i wanted a private pool villa and this looked decent for the price for over xmas period at abt 120usd/nite. Not as pretty as it looked on the website.. recption area is old, the main pool is filthy - no one used it while i was there.

Villa is big but very empty and not exactly well furnished.. beds alrite but loads of mosquitoes. Mini bar facilities in the villa adequate but nothing luxurious.

Breakfast average and they come very on time.

Pool is cold and gets no sun past noon. Deck chairs are old and of such a rigid design it doesnt allow u to lie on ur tummy comfortably. Would have prefer a plain flat bed type.

Location is great - very near to seminyak where action and food is. Their car service is a nice touch and most taxi drivers can locate this villa easily. Staff are friendly and service is generally good.

overall nothing really special and i wouldnt head back to M&W again. Plenty of other options in Bali really.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Perth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2011

After reading the below review I feel compelled to write my own. I feel that if I had read the below when checking trip advisor before travelling I would have cancelled my booking immediately! Please read my review before you make your decision.

We negotiated a price of around $230/night during Peak Season (Christmas Day to New Years Day). For a one bedroom villa in Seminyak, this is at the bottom end of the scale for a modern, CLOSED IN (not completely but almost) villa like this. When doing my research I found most other villas in this price bracket were wide open plan villas (ie no walls outside of the bedroom), which I wasn't willing to settle for in Bali's rainy season. This was the right choice as it rained at least in part on every day of our trip.

I'll touch on all of the aspects:

Booking Process: Dealt with 'Yenni' who was great. She kindly endured all of my questions and requests of which there was many! She also negotiated a hire car for us at a local rate, and organised a driver for us. (Hire car was 180 000/per day, driver was 150 000/for an eight hour day)

Check-in: Fantastic. We arrived at 5am Christmas Day and although we had not paid for the night before were checked straight in. Also were provided with breakfast in our villa when we woke up a few hours later which I was not expecting having not paid for the previous night. The complex must have increased staff since some of the other below reviews as we had two staff collect us from the airport, someone else check us in and house-keeping to take our bags to the room and also give us a tour of the villa.

Villa: I have attached photos of our villa which was beautiful. We were in Villa C which is one of the front villas. The lounge room, bedroom and bathroom were all massive and air con was ice cold. The outdoor setting had faded in the sun (bright red canvas probably not the best choice of covering for an outdoor setting in the tropics), but we didn't use them so it didn't really bother me. The pool was a great size and the layout of the villa was beautiful. Half of the pool is actually semi-indoors and ends at french doors at the foot of the gigantic bed. (The impression I got from the website was that there was no door between the bed and the pool which I was a little worried about!)

The kitchen is really just a bar, with a sink, a kettle and a mini-bar. Didn't bother us as we had no plans to cook during our trip.

In no way did the cleanliness of our villa resemble the photos below and we would of been walking straight back out if it did! The only thing I can think of for the massive variation when it seems as though our trips actually overlapped, was perhaps if their booking was lost the villa they were placed in was not meant to have guests and therefore had not been cleaned for a while? (This is still not acceptable).

Location: The villa is, as detailed by others, at the end of an unsealed road which is apparently because other villas are currently being constructed along side it. When we first arrived from the airport our hearts sunk as were bounced down this track expecting to be dropped off at a shante! However, the villas are just off sunset road, two minutes from the main strips in Seminyak. As I mentioned we had organised a driver for the entire trip and I would recommend this to others. It was no problem getting a taxi home however getting taxis to come to the villa to collect us was a problem. Not sure if this would be a problem outside of peak season, but for $15 aussie a day having a driver was a great convenience.

Room Service/Staff: Around half the staff spoke very good English, the other half did not. I think these were mainly the house keeping staff rather than front of house however late at night and sometimes early in the morning the staff we encountered a communication problem with the staff on duty. Having said this, all staff were very friendly and polite. They have obviously been told they are not to enter villas under any circumstance without permission, this became quite annoying however as we actually had to physically leave our villa in the rain to open the door for them for the first few days as they didn't understand "Come in" or "OK" and so stood outside in the rain until we opened the door.

Once again, I just want to reiterate our villa was clean and couldn't be further from the unfortunate experience of the reviewer below. When we checked in it was pristine and was cleaned to a high standard every day. One day we were in our pool when house-keeping came in the morning and a team of two staff spent over an hour cleaning and replenishing the room. The room was also turned down every night.

Overall, I think the reviewers below have got it right. The villa itself was beautiful however there were details here and there which were missing. I have stayed in other villas in Seminyak which were levels above and beyond this place, however they also had a higher price tag to accompany them. If you want a great looking villa in a location close to all the restaurants and bars in Seminyak and are willing to spend a bit of extra time communication your needs and directing staff, this is a really affordable way of getting it.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank kel0402
UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2011

See pictures from our stay here:

We are extremely unhappy with the quality provided by Man and Woman Villas and Spa Resort. The pictures on the hotels.com advert were extremely misleading and the resort is far from 4 star quality, with a pricetag of around £100 per night. The room was very dirty, many parts of which look as though they had not been cleaned for several months (please see pictures in photobucket link above). The bathroom was very dirty, as the pictures clearly show. In addition, the pillowcases were not changed daily. A bloodstain was also found on one of the pillowcases - please see the photobucket album for a picture of this.

There was no choice of breakfast for vegetarians (see picture of menu). On the first day we recieved fruit, eggs and cartonned juice. After complaining to the manager, on the second day we recieved toast in addition. After putting in a further complaint, we were given packet noodles as an alternative for breakfast. On the last 2 days of our stay we opted out of breakfast (even though we had paid for it) and bought our own from the local supermarket.

On the third day we left the resort after having breakfast. Shortly after leaving, I returned to the room to collect my mobile which I had forgotton, to find two of the staff members sitting and eating our left over breakfast.

On arrival the staff at the desk had no idea where our booking was. They told us they couldnt find it on their system...Took them 15-20 mins to sort this out on arrival

These are the major complaints. There were a multitude of smaller problems that we could have overlooked was it not for the main problems outlined. For instance, the driveway to the resort was unfinished/unpaved, and there were several building sites next to the resort. (see the pictures in the photobucket album for a view of the resort's driveway). Deck chairs were worn out, and the grass area in the villa badly kept

To summarise, this resort is very low quality and we were extremely disappointed, especially after having paid £104.97 per night

6 Thank dr_shabzzz
GM-AmorBali, General Manager at Amor Bali Villa, responded to this review, 30 May 2011
Dear Valued Reviewer,

Warmest greetings from Amor bali Villa.
Thank you very much for taking time to sharing your thoughts of your experience to stay with us.

Man & Woman Villas, is rebranding as Amor Bali Villa & Spa since May 2011, with the new owner and a new team of management, we believe we can provide a most luxuxry accommodation on the price ring.
This is the new face of Amor Bali Villa.

Once again thank you very much for your review, we are happy of these and will make our service better and better.
Have a nice day...
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2010

We stayed at the villa for 3 nights and first impressions were great! The bed was one of the biggest we'd ever seen and the pool was huge and much bigger than expected, the bed also had a lovely sheath covering making it feel like a canopy (though in reality it probably serves a purpose in keeping out the insects!).

Some little things:
- the sinks were not properly cleaned when we arrived and appeared stained
- Ants ants ants: if breakfast was left on the table for longer than a few minutes, ants would come up and nibble at your food before you!
- car service could do with some refinement - we booked a car to take us to the airport on our last day and yet when we got to the villa from a day out, they had no cars available and then had to call a taxi for us. Prepaid by the villa which was a nice touch.
- the villa is situated in a very rural area, on unpaved road, where it was difficult for most taxi drivers to find us. It made the journey feel somewhat unsafe. Would definitely not walk there alone.
- very garish lighting in the bathroom - the bluish light in the bathroom reminded me of something out of 'The Ring'. Needless to say, I switched it off everyday (and housekeeping switched it back on everyday!).
- We were in Villa A which was right at the front of the resort, it was a bit scary as I kept feeling paranoid that someone could scale the wall and rob our villa!
- The kitchen bar was very very high, not sure why it was built this way but I had to stand on tip toes to use the sink!

The good things:
- breakfast was ample and quite good, with fresh juice, fruit and a selection of breads, served in your villa, so that was an extra nice touch.
- Bed is huuuuuge!!
- Pool is lovely and huge
- Great canopy bed outdoors but again had ants

Overall, there were plenty of staff but feel that they could be more professional and give more attention to detail. The management should invest in more training and oversee the day-to-day tasks, perhaps the staff should visit some well established hotels and chains and copy their standards.

This is our first trip to Bali and probably wouldn't stay here again, the rural location with the unpaved roads felt a bit TOO unsafe for my liking even though the villa itself was quite lovely. We probably would choose a location closer to the beach.

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2010

I have a conflict as while we had an amazing holiday I couldn't in all honesty recommend this to a friend as a place to stay. I should preface that this was our first time in Bali and our first overseas villa experience. I'll list a few positives:

- Huge and comfortable bed
- Quite location especially in the bedroom
- Friendly staff if a bit hit and miss - plenty on duty when we were there
- Fantastic to have your own pool at your bedroom door
- Free shuttle into Kuta & Seminyak & free airport transfers
- I had awesome wireless reception in our villa
- Comfy large daybed next to the private pools
- Big screen TV and cranking stereo for a few party tunes

On the minus and areas which could be improved:
- "kitchen" is just a sink with cold water and a minibar fridge. It would be nice to have a proper sink and some utensils as we like to make our own cocktails pre-dinner before heading out
- Despite being around 12 months old the build and fit and finish is a little poor and the finish isn't keeping up with the tropics. lounger cushions are split and faded just little details like that
- They don't have a kitchen on site. They make breakfast behind the bar and if they are busy it can be a little slow. Room service comes in from outside I think
- The tiles next to the pool are treacherous when wet as is the lounge area if you walk in from outside with wet shoes/feet and there is no portico area in which to stop and take off your shoes
- The pool is open to the lounge area and if you have young children there is no way to block them from accessing the pool unless they stay in the bedroom/bathroom area
- No good TV channels eg Discovery Nat Geo or Sports

One other thing is that the villas are located at the end of a rough bit of road and with our group in a taxi they often were not able to negotiate the rocks. We'd get out and walk most of the time. The higher riding vans etc are ok.

I feel bad as I wish the staff there well however without some major attention to detail and a bit of a design revamp they will struggle.

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2010

The overall feeling I get from this hotel is that someone thought they would build some spectacular looking villas and then charge foreigners a couple hundred dollars a night to stay there and all would be good. On that point, the pros are that the pools in the villas are really wonderful, the bathtub was amazing (with really hot water!), the TV was great, and the bed is the most comfortable one we slept on in Bali (and this was the cheapest place we stayed). However if you're admittedly spoiled by luxury hotels, as I freely admit that I am - you will find that the details are all wrong (if you don't care about details, feel free to skip the rest of the review) - first, there are simply not enough staff to provide "luxury service" - the same girl takes the reservations, mans the front desk, delivers room service sometimes, takes room service orders, carted our baggage around and handles all the other requests as well. To be fair, I think there was one other guy that helped her sometimes.

We called her "angry girl", which we thought was kind of cute (she answers the phone "RECEPTION!!!" and acts like you're crazy if you ask for Reservations - well, because she is also Reservations), but the real story is that she shouldn't be the one having to handle all those roles at once and the resulting service kind of sucks.

Also, housekeeping doesn't check in on you if you hang out in your room all day to see if you want new towels or water or to have your room cleaned. Parts of the room (eg., skylights and the windows over the pools) obviously haven't been cleaned in months. There was a constant pool of water that sat around the toilet, so I had to roll up my pants to go to the toilet if I didn't want the bottoms getting wet (this probably sounds grosser than it really was). There is no concierge (I think above mentioned girl was also the Concierge). I know staff are expensive, but really? I guess on the pro side, all this gave it a bit more of an authentic Balinese vibe and since the staff and young, it was a bit more laid back and fun too than some of the other places we stayed at.

Secondly, don't expect gourmet food for room service - think more frozen and oven baked or frozen and thawed/pan fried. Although to be fair, the breakfasts and the Balinese dishes were probably made fresh. I loved the room service menu (it had mozzarella sticks!), but let's just say don't expect fine dining.

Lastly, as the previous reviewer said be really careful around the pool! Due to a recurring injury, slipping for me can be a disaster, and especially for older guests.

There's many other details that I don't really want to list here, but let's just say they are things that I wouldn't give a flip about if they weren't charging me ~$200 a night in a town where you can get a much higher standard if you look around for ~$200 a night. I think it's an amazing deal if you can get it for say $120 a night.

All that being said, we really had a good time and I think it's perfect for you if you just want to hang out at a private pool villa and really don't give a crap about all the details and service and such and you can get a good deal on the room. The staff look like they really try. Everyone likes different things.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KitCat123
Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2010

There is a lot that the managers could do to make this a perfect stay. It is big, the rooms are huge and the overall feel of it is lovely. It's the little things they should do:

- cushions on the chairs in the internet area (they are so deep you fall back into them!)
- removing the wood in the showers...it is the wrong type of wood and looks unclean
- faster computers and a nicer area to work
- change all the furniture! the couch is uncomfortable (did anyone sit on it?!) and there is no decent place to work if here for business or just wanting to sit and type
- put anti slip coating round pool, it is very dangerous
- more garden lighting
- more power points
- change the lounge room completely. A designer cannot possibly have done this!!

In saying all that (and I hope they read my comments), it has a lot of good points. The main pool is lovely, the bed is very comfortable (huge) and the bathroom is impressive to say the least. I understand it is Korean owners, so perhaps reflects their taste. However with so many Australians staying here, they could rethink their decor. It is quite bold.

Hire a designer, tweak a few things and you will have a truly impressive villa complex.

The closeness to Seminyak is good and there is a shuttle car. Breakfast is fresh and tasty.The price is very reasonable for what you get. But if only 8 months old, I fear it will be deteriorating too quickly in style and quality of fittings.

Wishing you all the best. I recommend this to people in their 20's looking for an affordable villa experience. You will love it if it is your first or second experience of luxury living.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank Creatavision
Also consider these accommodations in or near Seminyak
Kumala Hotel
#48 of 137 in Sanur
The Wolas Villas & Spa
The Wolas Villas & Spa
#11 of 409 in Seminyak

Been to Amor Bali Villa? Share your experiences!