“Not what we expected!”

Nunia Boutique Villas
Ranked #68 of 421 Speciality Lodging in Seminyak
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We were recommended Nunia by my sister who had stayed there. They said it was centrally located to good food and coffee (Sisterfields and Grocer and Grind are our fave places!) We had just spent 4 nights in Canggu for my sisters wedding and was looking forward to being closer to the shopping and restaurants. We had transfers to get there from our villa in Canggu so it was much to our dismay when we arrived at Nunia and were told that our reservation had been cancelled. This reservation was made in October 2013 and cancelled without our knowledge in January 2014. We stayed in March 2014. Turns out that the company who managed the property at the time of our booking (Premier Hospitality Asia) no longer managed it and rather than hand over our booking to Nunia, they took it upon themselves to cancel our booking and relocate us. This however was never communicated to us. We arrived on a hot day at lunchtime with 2 kids under 2 who were screaming, tired and hungry. The staff at Nunia didn't speak the best English and on the most part did as much as they could do to accommodate us. My gripe isn't with the villa, it's with Premier Hospitality Asia. The staff at Nunia were on the phone to them trying to help us figure out what to do and all they could say was "just wait and we will send a car to take you to another villa". However they didn't even know which villa they were going to send us to! I will never ever book another villa through this management company and I will definitely be recommending my friends to do the same.
As for Nunia, the villa itself was clean and the air con worked and the pool was great.
CONS:
1) rain showers in the bathrooms sprayed everywhere but down
2) for a self contained villa with cooking amenities - there was nothing to eat with. No crockery, cutlery, glass wear or washing up stuff like tea towels, sponge etc.
The staff were helpful but the communication was probably the hardest I have encountered on many stays in Bali - their English was not the best.
PROS:
1) unlimited filtered mineral water in villa (hot,cold, and room temperature dispenser)
2) size of the rooms / villa
3) nice pool - not too cold
4) locality - close to eat street and cool day spa.

Room Tip: Don't book anything through Premier Hospitality Asia!!!!!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Shiela G
There are newer reviews for Nunia Boutique Villas

Reviewed 15 March 2014

Stayed for 12 nights at Nunia. Would stay here again. Staff were always willing to go the extra mile to make sure we were happy! Agus is best! If u had to be picky my biggest issue was the couch...really not even an issue?

All round very good!

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 8 March 2014

I Stayed 3 days with family, beautiful garden and private pool, that was vary good service, the staff helpful to assisted when looking for spa and other information. Villa location close to shops and restaurant the centre of seminyak area....

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank aditya g
Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

Ok, so let me start by saying the staff tried Very hard to make our stay enjoyable. However for us on arrival the butler on staff did not speak much English and didn't know where the safety box was. Not such a big deal. However the air con in the bedroom was broken and I was informed it will be fix the next day. Meanwhile it was leaking water everywhere. However upon follow up the next day revealed nothing had been done or said. I informed them again and they got someone to come look later that morning so no big deal. however it was broken again and was not fully fixed till the following day.Then the bath would not fill and the shower/bath water pressure was like a wet paper bag. What's more is the hot water runs out quickly every night. Lastly the bath plug didn't work meaning it was near impossible to fill a bath. The bath was a choosing point for us, and not being able to use it was upsetting. It was our honeymoon after all. It was fixed the following day thankfully. Also the breakfast was always cold and the food average to poor. Finally on the last night of our stay in the early hours of the morning the door bell "malfunctioned" and rang randomly... I called reception they said wake up call and untold the staff myself and my wife order no such thing. The butler said they would look. Another few min pass and the door bell rings again over and over I call again and the reception says can you open the door ... The doorbell may be malfunctioning. BS, so I asked him to wait and see if anyone comes and that I am not opening up my villa in the middle of the night for anything lol. After this the ringing stopped, so I don't know if it was a prank a wrong wake up call ... Or criminals trying to get inside lol. Not a happy stay, although the staff try very hard and are friendly, many of these problems could have been avoided by a simple service of the room. Yet our booking agent assured us they are freshly serviced and under new management. I fear there is still a great deal of room for improvement.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ben T
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 5 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed for a week in a 1 bedroom villa. ...new management and the place is in transition but that was never an issue.Airport pick up is a must...just email and they will organise. Walking distance (200 metres to eat street) All the staff were helpful and friendly and always available. A big thank you to Agus and staff you were amazing we had a great time and hope to return soon...Jenn and Paul

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Just got back from a long weekend at nunia villas booked through Cantikbalivillas.com . I've stayed in lots of different villas depending on the type of holiday , this holiday was a girls shopping trip . We stayed in a two bedroom villa , it was perfect for what we needed , clean , lovely gardens and big pool . The nunia staff are really friendly and very helpful , the villas themselves are a little tired , but its Bali and the heat destroys everything . Breakfast is okay , the villas are quiet and so convenient , once we found the shortcut to eat street , you are literally less than a 5 minute walk to everything you need . The villas are great for a family trip or girls trip , If your looking for romance I'd consider villas further out , but if your looking for everything blai has to offer and a good value price then these villas are the ticket.

Room Tip: Villas 1-3 are at the end off away from the busy road . Look out for the 7/11 convenience store up t...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 January 2014

We spent a week here in late January and booked it through cantikbalivillas.com.au in Australia. I'd kept my eye on the reviews that had come through and wondered why the mixed opinions. I agree with the last review that some people are expecting too much. They forget this is Bali, not Singapore. The staff here have taken on board feedback they had received and improved things. They are typical Balinese and want travellers to be happy and recommend them. The people on this island work off karma, not wanting a traveller to be unhappy with them.

I had given the booking agents the details of my flight for our airport transfer. We arrived into Denpasar airport and once walked outside into the collection area the first person I saw waving a sign had my name on it. The driver assisted my wife with her suitcase and off we went in an air conditioned car.

Upon our arrival we were met by Agus and one of his butler staff. They believe in personal check in by showing you through your villa and making sure that you are satisfied with everything and confirming what's contained in your booking. There is a 24 hour butler service, anything you need you just call reception. We were in villa 5. I'd seen that one bedroom villas weren't listed as having an outdoor shower but this villa 5 (a one bedroom) had one.

Everything was beautifully presented. The room contained it's own mineral water dispenser and a safe in the bedroom. The whole thing itself is private, the pool was clean and never seemed to get cold. I could see where the surrounding walls had been repainted and the sun is causing some wear and tear on the decking around the pool. The wifi worked just fine and was quick. The only issue was the day before we left it broke as they had an issue with the cable but we could deal with this. About half way through our stay we came back to find them fixing our toilet which apparently wasn't working properly but we hadn't even mentioned anything. The bathroom also comes with toothbrushes and a hair dryer.

It was mentioned that they are under a transitional phase with a change in management happening. They are working on bringing the place up to speed and maintaining it. This is evident by them constantly wanting feedback to ensure satisfaction.

Our booking included a daily breakfast choice of either continental, Australian or American. It can be served between 7 and 10am. We tried all of these and they were adequate. They also came with plates of fruit. Each morning the villa staff would come in and set the table. They would each day wait for us to go out before quietly going into the room to do a quick clean, collect/replace dishes and make the bed. A few days into our stay we were given a different breakfast menu to order something from to try which seemed like something new they were looking at doing. We had baked goods and pancakes from it which were all very nice.

The villa staff were always smiling and friendly. Each time we would go to walk down toward the street they'd see us, go out of their way to stop and say hello, chat about how things are and where we were heading. They are also willing to arrange a taxi to come if you're not wanting to deal with them out on the streets. As mentioned previously, Agus is a delight to talk to and a wealth of knowledge about Bali, everything from what to see where to the shopping and how to go about it.

The location is perfect. Just a short walk from Eat Street and Seminyak Square. It cost me about 17,000 rp. for a taxi to Bintang Supermarket. It's about 50,000 down to Kuta. The place itself is in it's own lane off a quiet street. The only noise I could hear on some nights was while outside in the pool watching lightning in the sky the faint drums of music from a few streets away.

The day before we left we had laundry arranged. It came back beautifully done and presented. It cost us only about 150,000 rp. for a full weeks worth if laundry for us both.

I had previously arranged through Cantik Bali Villas a late checkout of 6pm as we were flying out at night. I had been told it would come at something like $79 paid direct to the villa. I was keen to settle this on our last day and when I went to do this I was only presented with the bill for laundry and told that the late checkout was given to us for free. Something I reluctantly accepted as I was prepared to pay. The villa even arranged and paid for a driver to take us to the airport when we were ready to leave.

The staff here have left a good impression on us. We wish them good fortune for their business and families. We are very satisfied and recommend them.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple