We stayed at the Jas green villas early in July this year, excited that we would have a private pool in a quiet area (having previously stayed in larger hotels throughout bali). Upon arrival we were delighted by the location of the villas, being on the main strip of seminyak with more bars and restaurants within walking distance than you could visit in a single holiday. The reception staff were helpful and friendly and promptly showed us to our room (they were kind enough to allow us to check in 1.5 hours earlier). Pretty impressed with the room. Beautiful bathroom, large bed, fully equipped kitchen but very small outdoor area with a plunge pool. One thing to note is that the one bedroom villas are nothing like the photos on the website.
Shortly after unpacking our things, the power went out. My partner and I alerted the hotel staff and were informed that this was due to the construction immediately behind the back wall of the outdoor area to the villa, and it would not be back on. So we were moved to the villa next door which was a pretty minor inconvenience and we acknowledged that the hotel was not at fault and the situation was managed very professionally.
We unpacked again in the second room which was exactly the same as the previous (no better or worse) until I walked outside into the outdoor area where I was suprised to be greeted by 4 local builders sitting on scaffolding over the wall having lunch, looking directly into our freezing plunge pool, and because of the large windows into the bedroom (and bathroom) inside the villa!
As we'd already moved rooms once, already unpacked, and felt like an inconvenience to the hotel staff we decided to let it go as the builders may not be high up on the scaffolding everyday. But how wrong we were. 6am the next morning the jack hammers started up. With construction literally less than 5m from your bed, this can't even be slept through with ear plugs (I tried). You can't even hear the tv over this noise. And yes they greeted me again in the morning when I walked into our 'private courtyard'...
The only reason you pay a little extra for a villa is for privacy and space. I could deal with the cramped outdoor area but the lack of privacy was hugely disappointing for both of us. We approached the receptionist and explained the situation, and to our surprise was HUGELY understanding, and went to great lengths to arrange to move us again. After speaking with the reservation team he returned to say that no 1 bedroom villas were available to change into, however for an extra $40 we could move into a 2 bedroom villa. He showed us through the 2 bedroom villa and believe me, it is DEFINITELY worth the extra $40 a night. They are massive and have a much better layout. after looking at the room we were keen to pay the extra (even though we felt we shouldn't have to).
We came back to the hotel after breakfast and the receptionist appologised and said there was a misunderstanding and we cannot in fact have the double room. Sincerely appologetic he said he will monitor the reservations and move us if any flexibility came about. So we waited in reception until we could speak to management. While we waited we over heard 2 other groups of people request to change rooms for the same reason and were pretty much told no-can-do. Management arrived and after going back and forth that we could have it/couldnt have several times they said we couldnt. So we were stick in a room with no privacy and no sleeping past 6am... great.
Two days later they called to let us know we could move into another one bedroom villa which was great news. Again, a mirror image of the other two rooms.
Other little annoying things like having the towels taken after the room being cleaned but not being replaced (and not realising until after a shower...), no breakfast menu in the room to order room service, and the inconsistency of the water feature pump. It seemed to go on and off as it pleased. The pool also kept emptying itself. Meaning that when the pump started around 8am, it would start making that loud gurgling noise a pool pump makes when it isn't getting enough water.
This hotel has its perks; free driver for seminyak, free mobile phone to use for your stay with Rp10,000 credit, but by far the best thing for us was the location. I've been to Bali more than 20 times in the last 10 years and staying at different hotels, and this is the first time I've ever complained. I won't be staying here again. Particularly having had MUCH better value for money elsewhere throughout bal
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in the heart of Seminyak, Bali's most sought after area. Seminyak is known for its trendy cafes, modern art gallery, fashionable boutique and beautiful beach. Here, you are not just experiencing a retreat but you will discover the spirit of Bali. The Jas villas are decorated with Balinese theme to give our guests memorable stays. You can spend your cocktail evening, while you enjoy the serene sound of the wall fountain from your very own private swimming pool. Each villa is equipped with full kitchen set, a comfortable lounge to enjoy every moment with your companion. Enjoy your morning coffee with a wide selection of our international as well as local TV channel. Stay connected with your friends and family as each villa is equipped with internet Wi-Fi. Free shuttle is provided around Seminyak area for our guests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your The Jas Villas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jas Villas Bali Hotel Seminyak
- The Jas Villas Bali/Seminyak