“Great stay”

Ranked #1 of 107 Seminyak B&B and Inns
Chicago, Illinois
“Great stay”
Reviewed 28 May 2012

I had a chance to spend 5 nights at Villa Blubambu with my family. I chose the property entirely based on other reviewers recommendations. I can honestly say that the property was everything I was hoping it would be - quiet, comfortable, and convenient. Mathieu and his staff took exceptionally good care of us - helping with restaurant recommendations and local transportation. Take advantage of getting a massage while you're there - a steal at $10 US for a one hour full body massage. Breakfast was great every morning, and there are many, many options for lunch and dinner in close proximity. As others have mentioned, the Villa is situated down a lane that isn't easy to find - especially for a taxi driver that doesn't know the area. What we found that worked was to say that the lane was across from Puri Saron, which is a Seminyak temple landmark that most taxi drivers knew. A tip here about taxi service - there are metered and unmetered taxis. Only use the metered taxis.
We only went to the beach once during our stay. Great for surfing, and many options for lunch or a drink to watch the sunset, but I got tired of being solicited by vendors walking up and down the beach trying to sell everything from kites to beads to single cigarettes. We found ourselves being much more comfortable staying by the pool at our villa.
Overall, I give Villa Blubambu high marks and would not hesitate to return.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank SAfan2009

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 14 May 2012

We booked Villa Blubambu based on it's perfect ratings, and we can't help but add to it's acclaim. From the moment you tip-toe over the carp pond entrance, you become spellbound by the beauty of this hidden garden.

With only 3 villas, each with it's own pool accessed directly from the deck, the staff can't help but be attentive, yet they only only seem to appear when you need them.

The Dutch owner lives in the main house above reception. He is so generous and welcoming that you feel like a guest in his home, far beyond mere paying client. We would stay here a million times over, especially considering the value for money and the feeling of coming home.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Penwax
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 2 May 2012

To enable you to put my thoughts into context - My wife and I have travelled reasonably extensively but this was our first (of many to come) visit to Bali. This is also the first time that we have felt compelled to write a TripAdvisor review.

Of course, having read the many other reviews, you will already know that Villa Blubambu is something special. As so many reviewers have already accurately described the Villa, my review will be more about "the experience".

We arrived around 9pm directly from the airport via the car and Driver pre-arranged by Mathieu (the owner of the villa) at a cost of $15. Unless you are very knowledgeable about Bali and/or have your own Driver already arranged, you should take advantage of this service - I don't have to tell you that after a flight you need to be painlessly and smoothly swept into the care of Mathieu and his staff.

We had already been advised (by TripAdvisor) to not be disturbed by the apperance the neighbourhood as we approached the Villa via a network of small lanes. As promised, arrival through the gate of the Villa brought us into our own little piece of Paradise. Mathieu was at the gate to greet us and assist us to bring in our bags. We were immediately sat down in the main Villa and offered a cool towel and drink. "Check in" formalities were conducted in such a discrete and painless manner while we sipped our drinks that we could have just been arriving at a friend's home for a few days. Our final task before being shown to our own private Villa was to select our choice of breakfast for the following morning.

The Villa was, of course, delightful, clean and included all required amenities.

The beauty of the grounds and the physical amenities are one thing but it is Mathieu and his staff that make Villa Blubambu something special. Simply, nothing is too much trouble for them. My wife asked if it was at all possible to have some no-fat yoghurt for breakfast (even though we had not been able to spot any in a late night ramble though the shops). Sure enough, on that and every morning we were presented with tubs of no-fat youghurt - no fuss, no bother.

Mathieu has obviously paid a lot of attention to ensuring that he can answer any request. He can arrange a Driver, arrange the best tours, advise where to eat, shop etc etc. All this done without the tiniest hint of tedium from, no doubt, repeating the same requests over and over.

One of our favorite times was breakfast in the garden. We enormously enjoyed this time spent chatting with our fellow guests (Hi Mark and Nat). We were able to dawdle over breakfast while we chatted, with Mathieu joining us for a chat on some mornings. Of course, I am sure that you would be able to have a "private" breakfast if that is your thing but for us one of the joys of travel is meeting fellow travellers.

If you need a Driver, can I suggest that you ask Mathieu to try to get Ketut (known as Kadek because his brother's name is also Ketut!). We used him for our entire stay in Bali (even after we had relocated to Ubud) and he is a very safe Driver who can show you anything that you want to see.

I also suggest that you consider the Happy Bike Tour operated by a Made (pronounced Marday). If, like us, you enjoy getting really close to the real Bali then this 25Km, mostly downhill, bike ride is a must.

Despite those arrival appearances of the neighbourhood mentioned above, the surrounding area is actually very nice. All amenities (beach, shops, food etc etc) are within an easy 5 or 10 minute walk. We felt safe at all times and were very confident about striding out at any time of the day or night.

Unfortunately, we were only able to book 3 nights with Mathieu but, as first time travellers to Bali, this was the ideal way for us to be nurtured into the Bali way. Without Mathieu I am sure our Balinese holiday would not have been as enjoyable as it was.

I must also mention the staff at Villa Blubambu. It is obvious that they really enjoy their work and are appreciated both by Mathieu and the guests. Being an early riser, I was there to see the day staff arrive each day. Without exception they all arrived with big smiles and a cheery greeting for me as I sat at the front of my Villa. Again, nothing was too much trouble for them.

Now, if you are looking for a "Resort and Spa" type experience then it just may be that Villa Blubambu is not for you. We stayed at such a place in Ubud and whilst it was perfectly lovely in its own way, nothing could match up to the experience that we had at Villa Blubambu.

Look, I could go on and on. Just take my word for it - Villa Blubambu is special.

I did tell Mathieu that I was going to write a bad review to ensure that he didn't become so busy that I couldn't get a booking for next year. Of course I couldn't do that. We will be making our booking for next year in the next few weeks.

Vic and Jill

Room Tip: We stayed in the Villa nearest the main building. It and its neighbour Villa share a large swimming...
23 Thank Vic B
china
Reviewed 28 April 2012

It's now been a week since we left Bali and we are still have fond memories of Villa Blubambu. The staff are friendly and unobtrusive and the manager will touch base with you every morning to check that all is good. Nothing is too much trouble. We loved having the pool directly outside our room and for most of the stay we were the only ones to use it. It is just like having your own private villa. The villas are a short stroll from the beach where we spent our afternoons enjoying Bali's famous sunsets. Cannot recommend villa Blubambu enough. Thank you Mathieu!!

1 Thank natandmark
Darwin
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We stayed here after reading all the excellent reviews here on Tripadvisor...and well the place did not disappoint. Beautiful gardens, excellent accommodation and breakfast, great staff and friendly owner Mathieu. Although Villa Blubambu seems more the place to stay for honeymooners or couples, they were very accommodating when we requested an extra bed for our young daughter.

Can't fault this place and truly deserves 5 stars!!!!

P.S - Had the best massage I have ever had here too.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank ShazzaNDave
Essex, UK
Reviewed 22 April 2012

We stayed at Villa Blubambu between 7th and 9th April - our first stop on our honeymoon to Bali and Lombok. I spent months researching locations and places to stay, and I must say that it was so worth it, because as soon as we entered into the tropical garden oasis that is the grounds we were blown away by the beauty surrounding us.

As others have said, Mathieu was great - always to hand to answer questions, and he gave some excellent advice about the local area etc etc. We felt so comfortable there. We stayed in the villa closest to Mathieu's house, but felt like we had a high level of privacy still. We loved the staff there - their English is really good, and they are so friendly and smiley - it was lovely to see - Mathieu and his staff really do seem like one big happy family.

Seminyak itself was pretty good. We liked walking from here to Kuta and Legian (Kuta had the nicest restaurants in our mind rather than Seminyak - Poppies, Kori's etc were amazing in Kuta - and was far more reasonable in price, but Made's Warung in Seminyak is nice to go to and not too far from the villas).

Breakfast was amazing - as much food as you wanted it seemed, and the best fruit plate of our 5 stop honeymoon! Really tasty fruit that we would never get back here in the UK.

Pool outside our villa was gorgeous and pristine. We didn't use the other pool, but that also looked lovely.

Perhaps the only thing I would say to friends if they were thinking about booking this place, is perhaps make sure they were aware of the exact location of the villas, and how you get from the villas to the main roads in Seminyak, the beach, the supermarket etc. Every route means you need to go along at least three lanes - which are mainly comprised of villas, backs of villas, a couple of security posts (which was great - made us feel more safe), and then local people's houses, their little shops, warungs, laundromats etc. We didn't have a problem with this, we knew that we were not on the main road (we didn't want to be) or facing out onto the beach etc. But, in the dark, coming back from an evening meal (not even late, often around 9pm) it was pitch black for sometimes quite long stretches, and there were quite a few angry dogs about, and the normal kind of rodents you would expect to see. We lost our way quite a few times, and you can go quite a way without seeing anyone, so it can be quite disconcerting. On one occasion I admit, we did lose our heads a little bit, as we got really, really lost coming back the route from the Bintang supermarket - and we had done that route twice in the daylight! We felt quite vulnerable, but ended up finding a chap outside one of the villa complexes, and he called a friend, who promptly turned up on his moped and guided us back to our villa - and he didn't even seem to expect payment! It was times like that when you realise how lovely the Balinese are....But anyway, I'd advise taking out the map that Mathieu gives you everytime you go out especially if you expect to return in the dark and if you are walking back from the supermarket / from Legian / Kuta direction, I would advise you don't take the left turn after the supermarket - go back the long way round, sticking to the main roads for as long as possible.

Maybe the only teeny tiny suggestion I would say to Villa Blubambu, would be that there are so many beautiful flowers in the grounds, maybe it would be nice to put a few fresh flowers in the guest's villas - yes I know it's being done to death everywhere else, but I for one didn't get bored of it.

Oh and also, to benefit the environment, maybe in the future Villa Blubambu could consider a water cooler / dispenser / water filter tap in the villas, to save giving out plastic bottles to guests every day, as there seems to be a real plastic bottle crisis in Bali and Lombok.

But Villa Blumbambu deserves every nice thing that anyone has ever written about it, and we had a fantastic time staying here. Would highly recommend, along with everyone else :-)

Room Tip: Don't be put off if you can only stay at the villa closest to the house, you will still feel lik...
3 Thank 83Jemma83
Moscow
Reviewed 16 April 2012

We were very lucky to stay in Villa Blubambu in April as its always full and book it for almost 2 weeks was a real luck
when you get there - you really feel like home - so cosy, everyone is so attentive and you get at once relaxed. villa has only 3 guest houses so you really feel like you are alone and its all your own space. you wake up with birds and sometimes cocks :) singing and have breakfast in a nice garden with flowers and bees.
everything is done with so much love so you can always feel it. Thanks to Mathieu and his team who make all this paradise true.
Villa is very well located - 5 min walk thru balenese village to the ocean and very close to main Semyniak street with all kind of attractions. if you travel with friends and looking for party - ask Mathieu as he is an expert in all events and excellent places:)
looking forward to come back to bali and villa blumambu

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends