“Absolutely Delightful!”
Review of Phil's Place

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Seminyak
Phil's Place
Ranked #128 of 426 Speciality Lodging in Seminyak
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I have just returned from a 5 night stay at Phil's Place and really cannot complain about a single thing. My entire stay there was wonderful. The villa itself is beautiful and nestled into a nice section of Seminyak away from all the busy noise of traffic and general business you may find in other locations around Bali.

The rooms were all beautifully decorated and very clean and peaceful. I had the fortune of staying in three different rooms during my stay and they were all delightful. Each one allowing you to spend what you can afford, and even a very affordable room upstairs for the budget traveler.

The staff at Phil's Place were just wonderful also. There was no end to them making sure that all of your wants and needs were taken care of. Breakfast everyday was delicious and very filling beginning with your choice of mix or sliced fruit with musli topped with yogurt, honey and some delicious dried sweet banana crackers. (I found out where they sold these and have brought 2 packs home with me). This was then followed by your choice of poached/scrambled/omelette eggs with sausage, bacon, tomato OR a lovely serving of pancakes with banana and ice cream. All this of course with a freshly made glass of fruit juice, watermelon was my favourite, and tea or coffee. The staff ask you each night what you would like for the following mornings breakfast and then go out and get the ingredients right there and then as to make sure only the freshest or used to produce your food.

I especially liked the layout of the villa which provided a very warm and friendly/sociable feel allowing guests to chat in the lounge area, which had some very comfy couches, or during breakfast on the lovely dining table. The pool is located right in the centre of the villa making it very easily accessible to all.

The backyard if a beautiful place if you would like to sunbake, or meditate near the little temple there. It was so peaceful and relaxing. They also have a wonderful hut out in the back where massages are provided if you would like to arrange one.

All in all I could not fault this villa if I tried. From it's wonderful location, extremely sweet and helpful staff, beautiful clean rooms and facilities, affordable prices, I know that I will not be looking for anywhere else to stay but here on my next trip to Bali.

To Phil, Adi and all the staff at Phil's Place, a big thank you for making my trip there a very special one indeed.

Room Tip: Rooms to suit your needs and budget. The deluxe room upstairs is wonderful with it's own terrace...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Sinan B

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Nice hotel, helpful staff, good athmosphere. Stayed in a room with garden, there is a pool in the building too. Breakfast very good, they asked us the day before what we would like to have.The. place is not close to the beach, quite a walk, but that was okay. There are many taxis passing by so that transportion is not a problem. What we disliked was the bathroom. It was part of the room, had walls, but had no ceiling. means you hear everything. Not very nice when your partner has diarrhea. The mirror was so small, I postponed shaving, it was smaller than a sheet of paper in A4. And no space for all the lotions and potions especially gay travellers have filled their suitcases with. Therefore, only 4 points from us.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Only stayed here for 3 of our 12 day stay in Bali, should have stayed here the whole trip. This place went beyond what I was expecting. The villa is a quiet and peaceful, great place to relax or socialise with the other guest its your choice. We stayed in the pool room. Nice to be able to walk out of the patio door and in to a cool pool on a hot tropical day.The room was great. The king size bed was extremely comfortable and the bathroom was spacious. The staff were lovely, polite and great to chat to. Had a great breakfast everyday with plenty of choices.
Only a short walk to the centre of town and clubs and 10 minutes walk to the beach.
This villa made our last days in Bali relaxing and enjoyable. Definitely will be back and staying at this villa for our entire holiday next time.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jason N
Reviewed 22 April 2014

1. Poor signage: the Gang Melati sign at the junction with Jln Plawa is grey print on a grey background and hardly 1 m above the ground – poorly visible, especially at night and my would-be visitors often could not find the entrance to Melati. The big 40 at head of the 50 m long lane leading to the villa from Melati needs an additional sign that says Phils Place with an arrow – a similar sign at the junction of Plawa and Melati would also help.
2. Smoking: as one of the 82% of Australian males who does not smoke I found the level of smoking in Bali appalling (estimated at 66% of Indonesian males). It was distressing to have to deal with staff at reception who were smoking while on duty (breakfasts and drinks are prepared from there as well) though, in the absence of laws that prohibit smoking in public areas, nothing could be done about guests who also sat at reception and smoked. My problem is I had to pass through the area to get to my room (the doors to 2 and 3 are located within 2 m of reception) and smoke wafted into my room when the door was opened. In all my years of travel I have never before been served by smoking reception staff.
One of the staff alerted me to Moka’s Café in Jln Seminyak where the main section is air-conditioned and therefore smoke-free. The meals were good quality and prices reasonable (just the iniquitous 10% tax – surcharges (in all countries) should be included in the quoted price and not added at the end to mislead you what you will pay) and if you ordered an entrée instead of a main course you had room for one of their fancy cakes! The Japanese Restaurant (Suishi) is also air-conditioned. No doubt there are others at the more expensive end of the market.
3. Rooms: I paid US$81 for Room 2 with garden access through Bali Friendly (April 2014) – it seemed the only way to get a price apart from contacting PP directly. I was a bit surprised when the manager of BF appeared the morning after my arrival expecting me to pay the 75% owing for the entire 14-day period, since it is usual practice to pay at the end of one’s stay. The room was fine though the chair and table were not comfortable for my many hours of sitting at my laptop. There was no fridge or tea/coffee making facilities – tho there was a fridge in the lobby and the staff readily made me tea on request. I did not like the way water from the shower just flows out onto the tiles and there was no shower curtain. The garden is lovely though a source of mosquitoes that invariably found their way into my room – an evaporative insecticide device was provided but I did not try it.
I was obliged to stay in one of the upstairs rooms for one night – US$45 from BF. There was no rail on the stairs and the steps are widely spaced so that made the stairway difficult to use with my arthritic legs. The toilet-bathroom is downstairs opposite reception and past the eating area making visits there very public! Since the water from the shower flows past the toilet bowl to the basin diagonally opposite the floor was flooded and it soon became a sauna. The staff did towel the floor after morning use, however, which meant you could get to the toilet without getting wet feet later in the day. Needing to urinate at least twice a night with my prostate problem I resorted to using empty cans and bottles to relieve myself rather than negotiate the steps in the middle of the night. If you like billiards, you might note there is an old table upstairs that at least has a full set of balls.
The garden is a delight. The lieback chairs are in the sun and I never saw them used while I enjoyed the large chair in the shade. There is a charming freestanding massage room in the garden that doubles as a drinking/rest area at other times but I never saw it used for that – the massage I had there in a pleasant setting was excellent.
4. Unsafe access by foot: Plawa is dangerous to traverse by foot – there are no footpaths, parked cars and bikes jut out onto the road (typical of Indonesia generally) and you are often forced to walk in the middle of the road. I found walking the 400 m to Jln Seminyak and then a further 100-400 m to a decent restaurant quite a chore, especially during the heat of the day. Nevertheless at least one of the boys at reception was happy to take me to my chosen restaurant on his motorbike (I tipped him 10000 rp though he did not ask for it).
5. Meals: No food is available other than a (full fry-panned based) breakfast, though a limited selection of soft through to hard drinks is available at reasonable cost. You can order food through reception but it can take 45 minutes to arrive and is hardly warm (I did that twice from different restaurants). I bought sweet corn cobs back from my visit to Ubud (6 for 10,000 rp!) – the corn was growing behind the stall – and one of the staff boiled them for me on two occasions and reheated in the microwave as required – delicious!
6. Final bill: my laundry (dirt cheap) and drinks came to 250,000 rp at the end of my stay. I handed over my credit card to be told PP only took cash – I was flabbergasted! I had carefully worked out cash for my departure tax (200,000 rp), tip for the taxi driver and food at the airport – who wants to take rp home?! So I had to use my precious cash to pay for my final PP bill – if I did not have the required amount I would have had to go to an ATM, assuming a staff member was free to take me there, make sure it took Visa (the first ones I visited later on the way to the airport did not) – I had not used my card at an ATM during my trip as I had taken cash for the entire trip – except for my accommodation as noted above, so there was the risk it would not work, and get back to PP and not be late for the booked taxi. I pointed out to the manager that it was a) a reasonable assumption of mine that the villa would take credit card as I had already paid my accommodation that way (but BF is separate from us, I was told); if that was not so, then b) there should be a card placed conspicuously at reception (or, less satisfactorily, in the room information file) that noted PP took cash only.

Room Tip: See my comments under 3 above
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Protea L
philsplace, Owner at Phil's Place, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Thank you for your extensive description of your recent stay in Bali at Phils Place.

As you have noted, street signs and footpaths in Bali are not the same as in Western countries. As guests in Indonesia, there’s not much we can do about that. Fortunately Jalan Plawa is a quiet street without much traffic and, as you’ve noted, our staff are happy to take guests on the back of a motorbike if they’re not too busy with their other duties, and we’ve placed our street address on a prominent sign at the entrance gate.

With regards to your feedback about payment, any guests who have not already paid fully in advance are required to complete payment on check-in. This is a standard policy for villas in Bali and is essentially the same as large hotels which require your credit card on arrival.

We have directed staff to improve two matters that you raise.

1. First we have reinforced to staff that they are not to smoke anywhere in the villa. We do have smokers as guests from time to time and, fortunately as the villa is “open air” there are places for them to smoke with minimum disturbance to others. We do not allow guests to smoke in rooms on any occasion.

2. Second, we have taken up your suggestion of placing a card in the kitchen bar area noting that room bills need to be paid by cash unless arranged with staff the day before checkout

Many thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

I am currently half way through my 10 night stay at Phil's Place. I cannot recommend this place enough! All the positive reviews are justified. We are in the premium room which has its own bath and shower and it's own private terrace. The villa is peaceful and a great place to relax, and if you care to, socialise with other guests. But what makes this place really stand out is the staff. They are exceptional, I have spent time chatting with the staff and have had great fun being taught Balinese. They are all charming and have great personalities. Their smiles are infectious. The stay here has made my visit to Bali so fantastic I will genuinely be sad to leave.

Room Tip: Premium room - the largest of 5 rooms
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Just back from a week at Phils Place. I could not find fault at all. I stayed in the Garden View room with ensuite. Good sized room with a large comfortable bed. The room was spotlessly clean. The staff are 10 out of 10 !! Great breakfast everyday with a good variety offered. It has a real home feel and quality to it.

Just a 5 minute walk to the town centre and the bars etc. 15 min walk to the beach. I'll be back for sure !

Room Tip: The Garden View rooms are nice and open up to a quaint little garden. Good sized rooms. My friend b...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Titan44
Reviewed 5 March 2014

We have just had the fabulous opportunity to stay at Phil's for two weeks , this much needed vacation became a completely unexpected delight thanks to Phil's place and the guys that run it!
The location is excellent, close to beaches, restaurants, shops and all the best gay bars , but with out any doubt what really makesit fabulous is the actual villa itself and the guys that look after you there. The rooms are well appointed, comfortable and maintained daily to an extremely high standard. The pool is bathed in dappled sunlight and is fabulous to just relax by wih your favorite drink, or enjoy with the new friends you'll meet at Phil's. The guys that look after your stay, create a whole new meaning to "hospitality". What ever your looking to do , either an in house massage(fantastic and great value ) ,or a day tour , shopping or whatever. ..........nothing is to much effort or trouble for these friendly helpful guys! I have worked and run resorts/hotels and tourist accommodation around the world and really understand how much effort it takes to keep guests happy and satisfied, these guys do it with ease and a warm smile, 24 hours a day!
our hearty thanks to Phil and all the guys for the unending help and assistance they gave us, it turned a tired old holiday into one of the most enjoyable, relaxing and satisfying vacations that we have had in many years ! We can not recommend this place enough, but more importantly we can not wait to come back! Guys there is no need to wait any longer, book Phil's place now , it is great value for the money and you'll love it!

Room Tip: Pool room with en suite, was fabulous!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Seminyak
Spartacvs Bali Hotel
#4 of 148 in Seminyak
Peppers Seminyak
Peppers Seminyak
#25 of 148 in Seminyak

Been to Phil's Place? Share your experiences!