“Very disappointing”

and 1 more site!
Drupadi Studio Apartments
Ranked #361 of 434 Speciality Lodging in Seminyak
Reviewed 3 September 2012

We had hoped this hotel would be a similar standard to Bonsai, which we tried to book however they were full, so the owner Rudi directed us to this hotel - Drupadi. We don’t require a lot when booking a hotel, just a quiet room with good air con and clean. We made this clear to Rudi.
Eventually from the information provided we agreed on room 1 for 6 nights.

As soon as we walked into our room we knew we’d made a bad choice. The next morning we checked out, forfeited our deposit, and found alternate accommodation elsewhere. Something we have never done.

LOCATION: Drupadi is in a side street, which appears to be used as a cut through road, although at times, especially evenings when you’re trying to sleep, it’s a very busy cut through road.

TYPE OF ROOM: We were in room 1 at the very far end of the hotel, supposedly a quiet room?
The room itself was dated, furnishings showing age and wear, and in desperate need of a paint.
The doors to our room did not close properly, and as a result mosquitoes were everywhere in the room. The curtains over the front doors were a makeshift piece of material on each side, which didn’t really pull closed to block out all of the light (or mosquitoes).
The noise from the road outside the hotel was constant, loud, and sounded like it was in your room! We finally got to sleep around 2am and then the road noise started again around 5.30am.

BATHROOM/SHOWER: The bathroom was a good size, but open plan so that if you had a shower everything in the bathroom would get wet. Not a problem, I can live with that.
We actually didn’t get to experience the shower because the morning we woke up to shower, we discovered the hot water did not work in our room at all.

CLEANLINESS: The room was reasonably clean, however there were dead mosquitoes on the bed when we arrived and some of the furnishings appeared very aged.

CLOSET SPACE: There was space to store your clothes and bags.

TV/INTERNET: There was a TV in the room however we didn’t turn it on. We were advised there is no Wi-Fi at the hotel, however the Drupadi Wi-Fi did come up and required a password, so maybe there is Wi-Fi?

SERVICE: Prior to arrival, via email Rudi was helpful. Upon arrival the night staff were friendly (we arrived approximately 11pm).
Upon departure the staff were friendly and understanding.
I emailed Rudi the day we departed(as he was not on site) which was at least a week ago, to politely advise why we had checked out earlier than expected, and to date have not had a reply from him.
I honestly believe there’s not much he can say, he knows the hotel needs work, is noisy and is being sold based on Bonsais success, and Drupadi isn’t anything like Bonsai.

OVERALL: If you don’t mind paying $55 per night as an internet booking (when walk ins are getting $35 per night), for a basic room, with easy access for insects, no hot water and no sleep, then this place is for you.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank gounta

Reviewed 27 August 2012

Stayed here mid August 2012 for 3 nights. We paid $55 (AUD) per night but I do agree this is too much given the condition of the rooms and other competitive options. The walk-in rate was $35/night and that is probably a more reasonable value.

The location on Jalan Drupadi is pretty good as this road intersects two of the main roads in Seminyak, so it gives good access to shops and food but without being right on the main road. It can be noisy at times but not nearly as noisy if we'd stayed on one of the main streets.

The pool was lovely and the water in good condition. The staff were very friendly and helpful and always did a good job of cleaning the rooms.

This is not a horrible place to stay, but I think it's probably just over-priced and needs a bit of attention:
* the bed was very noisy - blink an eyelid and it squeaked. But it was comfortable.
* the cupboard doors in the kitchen didn't open properly, scraping along the floor when opened.
* the bathroom door wouldn't shut properly.
* a review of what's missing after everyone stays would be helpful - we had no forks and knives. Many people won't cook anything so they won't care, but once or twice hubby just had eggs on toast or cooked 2 minute noodles.
* The fridge was a good sized medium fridge which was great. Could put lots of Bintang in there!
* The gas burners worked really well and there was frypan and utensils to cook with.
* There was a toaster which was great! Some days I just wanted cheese on toast for brekky and this was the only place out of 4 accommodations with kitchen that actually provided a toaster. Ah... the simple things.
* Shower was fine, with hot water.

The other guests were very quiet, no parties which was great. I should say as well that not all the rooms overlook the pool. I believe that only four of them do from what I could see - rooms 4-7. We overlooked the pool and it was lovely.

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking the pool. Negotiate a better rate.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 August 2012

I think we had the room that the previous reviewer had a few days before. The room has a value of no more than $20 and I don't mean on a long stay basis. There is far better value out there, so look elsewhere. We booked directly via the website at $55 and when we got there we saw the walk in rate posted outside at 300,000rp (approx $30). Naturally we complained and only paid 300,000 but this really not the way to do business...it's shameful.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2012

It looks good but its not if you can relax to the roar of traffic and the construction site across the road then go for it!! i got bitten to pieces by mozzies and because i had paid a deposit I lost my money they wouldnt refund. I sent an email with the other review to rudi before i left australia asking what he had to say about it. apparently it was nothing as i never had a reply. I will never stay in a place where the owner cant even be bothered returning emails and wont give a refund when the property is not what was described!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 July 2012

We picked Drupradi Studio Apartments as the photos on their website portrayed very reasonably priced bright airy rooms with a decent sized pool.

Unfortunately, in reality, the rooms are very far from what was portrayed. They probably resembled those in the photos year ago, but in their current condition, it was more of a guesthouse with thin sheets, towels with holes, bathroom tiles that need a good grouting, hot showers that work intermittently and furniture in need of renewing.

My friends who booked the room next to us forfeited their money and checked into a proper resort for approximately the same price, with hot showers that work, and proper resort facilities including a pool big enough to swim in and breakfast included.

The security of the rooms were questionable as the door were glass patio doors with locks that didn't seem secure. One night we came home and our door was unlocked. Nothing was missing - we just assumed housekeeping forgot to lock the door after tidying up.

However pleasant and obliging the staff were, I don't think we would stay there again. There just are too many other options in a similar price range that offers dependable ameneties you would expect from a stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Dashador
Reviewed 15 December 2011

Ok, I've spent 3.5 months living in this studio apartment here. It is exactly what it says on the tin. The is a room, a small kitchenette and a bathroom. The sliding doors to the room open out to the pool area. There are 7 studios in a line.

All the rooms are A/C and with a ceiling fan.

The kitchenette doesn't come fully stocked with all the utensils you'll need for cooking, but I didnt really cook here myself. Im sure something could be arranged if you so requested. There is a mid-sized fridge, and now all rooms have a wall-mounted plasma TV, with USB port - which I find excellent.

The lads that work here are all friendly, and despite not having great English skills, are incredibly helpful to any requests you have.

If you want to be in the heart of Seminyak at a reasonable cost (ie. you dont want to stay at a resort hotel), then this is just perfect - particularly for extended stays. It takes literally 10mins to walk to the beach, there are a couple of cheap warungs (small restaurants) within a few mins walk. Taxi's are very easy to catch from the front and a ride into the main restaurant street of Seminyak is about 5 mins.

WiFi is provided here inclusive and worked perfectly for my entire stay here.,, and I am connected permanently!

Bathrooms are good, but could do with a bit of an upgrade.

For a place that was charging me roughly 20USD a day (on longer term basis) - this was excellent value for what I've got.

The owner, Rudi, often drops in to check up on things, and I've even seen him getting his hands dirty when they were spring cleaning the property - trimming back the garden and such. He is a very approachable, friendly and soft-spoken chap.

Overall, it has been a pleasure staying here and I would certainly, both recommend this place (I've already had friends stay here, as well as family) and return to this location.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank 27mangoes
Reviewed 8 March 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Drupadi Apartments when we first arrived in Bali. On the plus side, they're well presented and finished to a generally high standard. The staff were very friendly (though not great English) and sorted us out with a scooter at a decent price.
On the down side, the location is pretty poor if you're on foot as it's a 15 minute walk, often without a pavement / sidewalk to get to either the beach or the main road. There's also an empty field opposite the apartments which seems to be a local dumping ground for rubbish, though you can't see this when you're inside thanks to the perimeter wall.
Overall, our stay was fine but I'm sure you can do better. We moved out after 2 days in order to do a diving course in Sanur where we found decent, cheap accommodation directly on the main road.

• Stayed: March 2011