“Not value for money n not professionals”
Review of Kusuma Resort

Kusuma Resort
Ranked #38 of 116 Seminyak B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 August 2012

First, there are much better places in the area at lesser prices. Rates are not fixed.. haggle and they reduce charges. They charged us USD 80 per night and our next door neighbor guest paid USD 65. Compared to some other properties that we later came across for around 60USD, this place is worth not more than 50USD. Also, be clear on all payment terms. The person who checked us in said no extra charges for payment through card. But the person who checked us out insisted on 3% extra. Also, be clear about exchange rate upfront. The manager tries to earn an extra penny through whatever means possible. Also, their card machine was not working and the manager did not know how to operate. After struggling for about 45 mins, he asked us to pay at one of their affiliate's shop.
Breakfast is very minimal and not sufficient - just a little glass of orange juice, 3 slices of watermelon and papaya, 2 slices of toast, 2 eggs to order and a cup of coffee. No variation - same every day.
The only thing positive about this place is the quite and peace despite being close to hub of activities - what attracted us to this place. Beach is about 15 walking mins away.
Having spent 6 days in Bali so far (in Nusa Dua and Seminyak), we are yet to experience the wonderful Bali service that other reviewers write about :(

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NoidaDeepti
There are newer reviews for Kusuma Resort

Reviewed 28 August 2012

Stayed in the hotel for 4 nights. Great hotel, calm, walkind distance to the beach and all the attractions (restaurants, shops, bars).
Huge room with balcony overlooking the big pool.
Great breakfast
Helpful and friendly staff
If we return to Semyniak we will definitely stay in this hotel!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 August 2012

My first trip to Bali - so haven't anything local to compare it to but I'll start by saying I would definitely stay here again. If by "resort" you conjure up 5 star luxury and huge pools/pool bars etc then this probably is not the place for you but if you're after a reasonably priced, comfortable, clean, quiet place in a good location with a nice outlook and pool then I can highly recommend.
Good things:
1. Huge room and balcony.
2. Very comfortable bed.
3. Huge bathroom with separate bath and shower
4. Very clean and tidy.
5. No in room safe - but all the cupboards had locks (was fine for me but some people may be a bit more conscious of this).
6. Super quiet location - no noise at all.
7. Very friendly staff
8. Cable TV channels (see below though...)
9. Not the biggest but still very enjoyable pool which you could swim in at any time.
10. 7min walk to the beach (prob about 800m) - same to restaurants/shops etc.
11. 24 hour shop just around the corner that also sells beer and some spirits
12. Bin Tang supermarket about 10mins walk (closes at 11.00pm)
The irritations:
1. No bedside/reading lamp - only overhead lighting which was not good if you wanted to read in bed - take a booklight with you.
2. No fly-screens on the windows - was not a problem when the aircon was on, but I would have preferred to be able to sleep with the windows open and no aircon.
3. Room doors are not self locking which meant you had to take the key out of the power supply to open/close the door which was a pain at night in the dark.
4. When you took the key out of the slot - all electricity went off (except fridge) so charging phones etc was a bit hit and miss.
5. Wireless only really works in the reception area (which they advertise so no surprise) - I was in room 201 which is close to reception so I had some signal on/off - good thing was it forced me to put my phone down which was not a bad thing - but if you need wireless in-room you may be in a bind.
6. No lift - not an issue for me - but if you have trouble with stairs I'd suggest getting a ground floor room.
7. Towels were not changed every day - but after asking they were. I am lead to believe that in Bali you don't expect the plush towels we are used to in western hotels.
8. The rooms did not have an iron or hairdryer (which I actually use to dry underwear etc) - not a problem just not there.
9. You probably want to take your own toiletries as those supplied were pretty lame.
10. TV reception was sometimes fuzzy - but didn't go there to watch TV - maybe it was the gods telling me to go outside :-)
11. No safety fence around the pool - no problem for me, but if you have small kids you would need to be careful.
12. No real security to enter the resort (which I kind of liked to be honest but it did mean that anyone could come and bang on your door.
In spite of the minor things I really enjoyed my stay and would recommend the Kusuma Resort.

Room Tip: Rooms are on three levels with each 1 (101-201-301) being closest to reception and more likely to ge...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank argonaut64
Reviewed 3 July 2012

We had a room on the ground floor over looking the pool which was nice and blue! The room was quite large with a sitting area, TV and 2 double bed which were very comfy! Large bathrom with shower and bath. As stated before no safe but all cupboards had locks and as a small 18 room resort I felt very safe with leaving our belongings in the locked cupboard. It is located at the end of a small Gang that has a couple of good masage places near by. Short walk to the Beach and a few resteraunts down the road but need to walk about 30 minutes to get to the area with clubs and pubs. Or just get a Taxi Meter for about $2.50 (minimum chanrge), after all you are on holiday :) Clean quiet room with lots of privacy! Over all I would say good value for money but we stayed in Legian closer to the beach the week before and found that to be a better location.

Room Tip: All rooms over look the pool but we had a ground floor room at the end which was nice as we didn'...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 June 2012

I just had 3 weeks at Kusuma, the place is off the main road and has plenty of space. I stayed in Villa 7, up the end and away from everything else. It is the best of the 2 bedroom villas, nice and quiet, big bedroom and a spacious open living area. The staff are friendly and happily engage visitors. i had a look in the rooms as well, they are huge and look great as well. Nice large pool. There is WiFi, but you can only pick it up near the reception. If you stay for longer periods like I did you can get a discount, just ask.

Room Tip: Go for Villa 7, it has on huge room with Aircon, and second room upstairs has just a fan. Nice and q...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 April 2012

We spent 6 night at this resort and loved it. The staff are friendly, the place is clean and the pool a decent size.

Upon ariving at the resort a lovely lady, who did not speak much english showed us to one of the rooms. Unlocking a double bolted door she signaled for us to enter the room from the cute porch which was very spaciuos and house to cushioned wooden chairs and a table, of course with an ashtray!

The room was also very spacious, very hand for 2 girls with backpacks and all of the trimings. To the left was a couch and a chair and a larger table than the one on the porch. The room was very clean and had all we needed, a small fridge (no minbar) and a television with cable TV.

After bartering we agreed on 500, 000 rupee =$50AUD a nigth for 6 nights with no breakfast included. Might I add that the lady was a very stern barterer herself, lucky for us we did have a local with us and we were able to get the price down a little more than the everyday tourist.

The houseman who cleaned our room for us throughout our stay was fantastic and was more than happy to change our matress and pillows as the original ones didn't suit us. Nothing was ever moved or went missing, the hotel was very trusting and clean.

The room did not have a safe, however it did have many cupboards in the room that locked with different keys for each cupboard that were supplied by the hotel. This worked out for us better than a safe as we both had laptops and I have a SLR camera that would not have fitted in a safe.

Over all I would reccomend this hotel if you are not looking for a high level of service as the staff a very relaxed and not to invloved in your stay, they do what they need to do and leave you to relax anfd tend to your own wants and needs. Which is a nice relife after returning from the more than eger to strike you a bargin shop owners.

Room Tip: Great location on JL (street) on doulbe six street. This is very handy as all taxi drivers know thi...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank ladieswholunch1
Reviewed 15 October 2011

We stayed at the Kusuma last month. As previously stated, it's a small resort only 18 rooms but this means that it's relatively quiet. I was surprised at the size of the room, there was plenty of space; a decent size wardrobe, a small sitting area, a large balcony and a huge bathroom with a separate shower and bath. It was perfectly clean with comfy beds. The pool was cleaned every morning at around 6.30am and was crystal clear. The restaurant was small and I hardly saw anyone eat there, so that put us off a bit so we didn't eat there. I think they should try and improve this and attract more people.
The staff were always friendly and pleasant.
Cons: no room safe, you are able to leave valuables at the front desk in a double locked drawer, where you had one of the keys and they had the other. Wasn't really comfortable with his as it was out in the open.
Would be great if they had a small elec kettle and a couple of cups for that morning coffee, I don't believe it would be a big expense
Wi fi didn't work in the room, needed to be outside to use it

We got a good deal on the room rate and if we could get the same next time, I'd stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank allblacks1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Seminyak
Grand La Walon Hotel
#88 of 147 in Seminyak
Umadasa Seminyak
Umadasa Seminyak
#15 of 116 in Seminyak

Been to Kusuma Resort? Share your experiences!