“Romantic Stay”

Astana Batubelig Villas
Ranked #131 of 426 Speciality Lodging in Seminyak
Reviewed 15 October 2011

I got this at a really great price as the hotel was having some opening promotion. Really love the Villa - Comfortable bed, cozy dining area, big bathroom and best of all, the private pool. However, as my villa is further away from the reception (only the nearest 2 villa are able to get weak signals), the wi-fi signal is ZERO. Thus I have to sit in the lobby whenever I need the wi-fi (non-aircon, got most of the mosquito bites here). Breakfast was nothing fantastic too. The villa is 5 to 10 mins walk to the beach, a bit isolated with mostly the locals, but a great place to just rest and relax and enjoy the sea breeze. There are quite a few massage places and famous restaurants (Pork ribs, seafood restaurant) just nearby the hotel. However, the street is a "dead town" at night as the shops closes early, so basically nothing much to do at night. It's about 10-15mins drive to Semiyak town (20k by cab) and 15-20mins (45k to 60k by cab) to Kuta/Legian beach really depending on the traffic. Overall, I enjoyed my stay alot. :)

Room Tip: If you hope to get free in-room wi-fi signal, choose the first two villas that are nearest to the lo...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jams17

Reviewed 8 October 2011

I got the hotel Honeymoon package at a good deal. The villa is lovely; exactly like what I saw in the brochure, the private pool, big bathroom and tub, and a fully equipped kitchenette. The villa was quiet, yet very near to the beach and to Nuri's (the best ribs in Bali). Staff are friendly and accomadated us eventhough we changed our breakfast room service timings a couple of times.

We had a candlelight dinner at the villa. The staff made an effort to decorate the pool with flower petals and candles, for our candlelight dinner. Lovely!

When our tour agency played us out and "No Show" for our departure airport transfer, the hotel called a cab and paid for our trip to the airport. Good service! I couldn't ask for more!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cherubean
Reviewed 3 October 2011

I give this place a zero!!! We have stayed in many places with more high quailty facilities and service at a less expensive cost. No way is this a place i would recommend and we travel often.

During our stay both myself and my partner were very disappointed a number of times.
We booked this holiday as a romantic holiday and knew it cost the most out of all the accommodation we booked on our journey. We wrote a complaint letter yet their responses were meer excuses that didnt answer the problems.

Our lift was late and we had to ring for him. I understand traffic jams occur however this should be allowed for and we shouldnt be told that it was because we were early. The driver was polite after we got in car.

When we arrived at the villas we arrived to an unclean room which not only hadn’t been cleaned well it also had a sewage problem yet the check in lady was happy to leave us in it. We then asked to change to a new room and after some discussion we were moved and offered minimal compensation. A spa massage was firstly offered at obviously no cost to them and they wouldn’t provide a tour we suggested instead as my partner isnt a spa treament person. When we ate the lunch we chose instead only the club sandwich was decent the burger was undercooked. Is this the standard they are setting for guests?

The table which we ate from was stained from tea and coffee and the place clothes looked filthy and were ripped!

I asked about mosquito nets and the manager replied there was no need that they fumigated the area twice a week. I was eaten alive in both rooms and had to constantly spray which did make it hard to want to spend time at the villa.

The pool area was unable to be used due to the insects once again. It would benefit from some sort of enclosure/netting.

I also asked the manager about the mini bar that was supposed to be fully stocked and complimentary for the first night yet not one beer was inside. In the folder within the room it clearly stated two beers and he replied oh that must be a mistake. Strange as other reviews have spoken about the free drinks including beer.

On the first night we asked for transport to Kuta night markets and after waiting a very long time we were taken to a shopping mall on sunset road.

On the first morning we awoke to the most disgusting breakfast we have ever had in our travels. The cooked food had to been thrown out and I used the jam to eat the stale croissants.

We also had two cakes turn up yet had suggested one come on my birthday which was the Saturday. One was marked happy birthday Vhin???

Transport this day was another wait.

We requested a different breakfast for the next day and this was somewhat an improvement.

We requested a power adapter for the computer which was loose and sparked!

The gas bottle under the kitchen sink was leaking. It was causing my partner a headache. When checking it, it was clearly old and unsafe.

The tap in the bathroom rinse basin got jammed and needed repairing yet neither myself or my partner put it down to begin with.

On the second morning a message was placed on the tv so my partner couldn’t watch it.

Once again our shuttle lift seemed a nuisance for the reception.

We asked for money to be changed as the villa's website says they do however were told that they didn’t do this and had to find one ourselves. This was hard with the many variety of illegal money changers around we were hoping for our place of accommodation to help us.

My partner asked for help with phone call to tour guy yet they transferred call to him rather than help. When our tour operator came they didn’t let us know he was here.

We had requested leaving our luggage in room but however they were fully booked which I find hard to comprehend as we barely saw anyone. The luggage was stored in the corner of their reception desk which has no security and easily accessible from the road side.

On the last night we had our free meal offered in our package. Due to the bad experiences already had with the food we decided to just have club sandwiches. What a mistake it was to eat at all. The chef was friendly but cooking was terrible. It made both of us sick. (My Birthday dinner!)

When we arrived at the airport it also became apparent that during the time the porters moved our luggage they had broken one of our cases wheels completely off so it couldn’t wheel and had to be stressed with it in the airport check in.

Overall our stay there was disappointing and had me in tears and took the romance away from what was supposed to be a romantic time for our birthdays before returning to work. Instead we returned to work sick, tired and stressed!

Staff friendliness was intermittent. At times we had some helpful friendly staff and others needed to work more on how to help and approach customers.

They could do so much with the establishment and we feel they need to look into how to rectify it before the place ruins someone else’s holiday.

We asked for reimbursement of 50% as we felt it was overpriced for the service we received. This was not given. instead just excuses.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank liveenjoy
Reviewed 3 October 2011

Stayed in the villa for 4D/3N with family. The villa is located in Jl, Batu Baleig a little far from seminyak central for a walk, but can be reached by 10 min taxi ride.

Good:
Calm and serene
The place looked exactly like the pictures on their website
Comfortable bed
Wonderful staff, very accommodating

Bad:
Any room service food order (including breakfast) - never really hot, i would call it lukewarm.
Couples spa - charged us 120 USD (+ taxes) was a disappointment.
The sheets could be cleaner.

Room Tip: Near the reception
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 September 2011

My partner and I stayed at Astana Batubelig in Feb, 1 week after it had opened!! We felt like millionare's!!! We had previously stayed at Padma in Legian, but to come to our own private seculded villa was bliss. Only problem we experienced was the t.v channels and the breakfast wasn't that good. Other than that the villa was gorgeous and had the most comfy bed, BETTER than Padma!!

Would recomend highly!!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 September 2011

The villas are very beautiful: neat modern designs, exactly like what you see in the pictures. They have a private pool, a lovely bathtub, a small sundeck, a small kitchen/ dining area and a big comfy bed. There are sliding doors seperating the dining, bedroom and bathtub/ toilet area - a brilliant concept i think - Open yet private.

I enjoy dipping into the pool in the morning and have a warm bath at night after a long day out. They serve berakfast in your villa every morning at your desired time but food is just ok. No complains, nothing to shout about either. The staffs are extremely friendly and helpful... there are only 16 villas so they are rather attentive to all its guests. One set back - the DVD player doesn't function properly.

In terms of location, its tucked at the quieter side of Seminyak (its called Batubelig actually). It wasn't exactly a problem for us since we'd normally go out for one full day and would like to have some quiet time in the villa at night. Its good to be away from the crowd and traffic.

Naughty Nuri's is just opposite the hotel. I love love love their pork ribs and the funky warung set up. There is nothing much around there at night other than Naugthy Nuri's and you'll need a cab to get to nightlife in Seminyak, which will cost about USD2-3.

Black sand beach is just 3 minutes walk away. Not the cleanest beach but its a great place to see sunset. Instead of paying for expensive dcocktails in KuDeTa for sunset, you can actually bring your beach towel and chill by the beach. Same view anyways ;p

The massage in batubelig is about 30% cheaper than those in Kuta and Seminyak area. We paid IDR100,000 for two hours Balinese massage and trust me when I say its heavenly! The one we had in Kuta was just normal.

Judging from all the above, if you can get this villa at a discount, hop on to it. if its anything above USD250 then its considered overpriced.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank S J
Reviewed 26 August 2011

We spent there 11 nights.
The room was ok, confirming the pics on the website; bathroom was also ok.The style is quite elegant even if the furnitures are not brand new , instead they opened last February.
Lobby very poor and sad, on the road.
The place is quite far from central Semyniak, let's say 10 min by motorbyke.Very quiet anyway.
Unfortunately we must consider the service very bad ( of course this is depending by the standard you are used to have); bedsheet were not washed properly, plenty of coulored stains ( don't wanna investigate more...) and the same for towels.We claimed a lot; they changed them, but with the same bad result.
We claimed even for the handles ( 5 for two people, for 12 days); the answer has been;sorry the villa is full and we don't have more.
We had 4 more after one week.
We asked to talk to the Manager and we had this chance only after 4 days:he recognized the mistakes, he said sorry, and offered us two massage as compensation and excuses.
But the bedsheet and the towels reamained with the same problems.
About the staff, Sandi is very good and helpful, as well as Putu;Wedia is rude,unpolite and should be fired.
With a better staff the place could be much more successfull.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple