“Deans Cooking class”

Chef Dean Cooking Class
Ranked #2 of 10 Food & Drink in Seminyak
More attraction details
Owner description: An exciting combination/selection of Mediterranean and Balinese cooking class demo and tours to fishing village, traditional market, organic and cacao plantation, and other interesting places, tasting traditional foods and finally having Chef Dean's signature luncheon.
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Highly recommended when in Bali. Chef Dean took us around the markets in Dempasar explaining everything as we went. He then took us back to his beautiful home where he lives upstairs and conducts the cooking class downstairs. Dean guides us through everything and after giving us a demo he then allowed us to be hands on which is a great way to learn. Cocktails flowed all day which were really yummy. Once all the food was prepared we sat down with Dean to a most wonderful meal. Well worth the money for the class as you don't need to eat dinner after class and also for all the knowledge that you take home along with a booklet of the recipes. Thank you Dean.

1  Thank PerthtoBali

Reviewed 7 May 2014

This was one of my favourite days in Bali. The day starts by meeting Chef Dean in Seminyak, he took us to the markets where we bought fresh produce for the day. There were several sections to the market, fresh fruit and veg, fish, meat and spices. The market experience was fascinating, Chef Deans a real celebrity and its great to walk around with him as he introduces you to new things. You then get taken to a local coffee place to have a quick cup of coffee before going back to the school. Chef Dean is really knowledgeable but more than that he's a really nice guy. It was really interesting to hear about his experiences and how he started the cooking school. The class was great and I learnt so much. Throughout the day we were offered ice cold beers and the most delicious cocktails. The day ends with a sumptuous banquet, the food was so amazing. I'm looking forward to trying to recreate some of those recipes back home. This was a great experience and it thoroughly deserves all the accolades it's received on TripAdvisor.

2  Thank TheBigRB
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Yes, the class is on the pricier side, but you do get what you pay for. Mocktails, cocktails and beer is basically on tap throughout the afternoon of cooking, the knowledge Chef Dean provides is extensive, and you get a very hands-on day. You learn how to carry out very practical things, such as properly preparing fresh octopus, squid, chicken and fish. You also learn how to put certain spices together to make fresh mixes, marinades and pastes. The best part is, you get all the recipes and more put into a booklet for you to take home.

The trip to the market was my favourite part of the day! It was a unique experience - it was very obvious that the Balinese do not get many tourists coming through the market, as the shop keepers seemed fascinated with us. So I got the impression that it was very traditional, which is what I liked about it.

Not only this, but Chef Dean himself is incredibly friendly - he introduced us to his wife and son, and showed us around his traditional Balinese house. I thought this was a very nice and unpretentious touch.

Lastly, I did this as a solo, because my boyfriend and I decided to do different things for a day - the size of the class (about 9) was great and it was a day well spent meeting new people. Everyone else doing the class was lovely.

1  Thank Holly J
Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

Chef picked me up in Seminyak and took me to the city market where everyone knew him and we really received royal treatment, samples of everything from everyone. I did the spice class. Made spice mix, prepared octopus, squid, and prawns.

Lots of great tips, yummy cocktails, and the food we helped cook was insanely good (and plentiful).

Chef Dean is a great guy, friendly, helpful, patient and entertaining. I've almost run out of activities to do in Bali, and this was definitely a highlight of all my trips here.

Do it!

2  Thank Sam J
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I researched Bali cooking schools before leaving for our holiday and booked Chef Deans cooking class due to its wonderful reviews on TA, but also that it appeared to be more local to Seminyak instead of going to Ubud.
Pickup at Seminyak Square went perfectly in a very comfortable van driven by Romeo who was a lot of fun. Then went to the market which was interesting and informative. Then went to Deans beautiful home in Sanur which he leases from a priest. The cooking class was fantastic. Learnt lots about making flavoursome food with the local spices. Also learnt how to fillet a fish the Balinese way as well as preparing chickens and octopus. It was hands on if you wished but also lots of supporting staff. Lots of cocktails during the day and finished with the beautiful meal we had helped a little to prepare. We had 4 in our group and the 2 husbands had initially been reluctant participants but now they are Deans biggest fans!
Just remember to take cash to pay as there are no credit card facilities.
Highly recommend doing this!!!